Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,559 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If they've gone to this extent, I just pray they've brought back Guy Savage. The fact it was removed from the HD Collection and everything after was a travesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

New Assassin's Creed....... Looks ok. Combat definitely improved, more ghost of Tsushima which is a huge upgrade over the usual AC combat. Samurai character is huge on screen with plenty of bloody combat. Ninja is much smaller and parkour looks good. Seems like a good improvement on the usual AC but still, nothing that makes me think oohh really want to play that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

No mention of a Watch_Dogs game at the Ubisoft Forward show. Me very sad now. Very!

Gamestop leaked that MGS 3 is out this November.

Really strange they didn't have it in the trailer, but even stranger that it's a Sunday, so not sure if maybe it's an error altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭McFly85

MGS3 Delta looks very nice but I already know that if I do pick it up it’ll be whenever I can get it for €20 or less. It looks functionally identical to the game I played through a couple of months ago, just prettier.

Apparently it's the same date as the original release 20 years ago but Sunday sounds dodgy alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some very mediocre to negative previews of this around (likely some positives too, but the first two I saw were negative). Which is surprising, given previews tend to be more generous as the games are unfinished. Though not at all surprising a Ubisoft open world game is pretty bland and unimaginative:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

“Help me Respawn, Massive, David Cage, you're my only...

Ah no leave it, it's grand.”

• Advertisement

Yeah, not sounding great from those.

Yeah my worry, aside from the usual Ubisoftedness of the open world, is just that the gameplay looks fairly bland with not much room to evolve.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Perhaps I'm just overly cynical in my middle years, but this has always looked like a Ubi game to me. Somewhat surprised that people thought it'd be different somehow. Same with Starfield, loads of people put faith that it would somehow be this incredible, new experience, when it was always going to be a Bethesda game at its core.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So what you're all saying is that Ubisoft is releasing a new bland, vacuous Open World game?

Where's my shocked-not-that-shocked meme when I need it? Why and how do people even get their hopes up with that lot anyway?

When Ubisoft are good, they're good. Plenty of their open-world games have been thoroughly enjoyable and even despite the Ubisoftedness of those games (resource gathering where you have a lot yet never enough, aggressive monetisation and "time-saving" mtxs, map icon overload, repetitive mission design etc), a lot of those games are still incredibly fun and enjoyable to play. They'll rarely set the world on fire, but for relaxing in an evening and just enjoying the game, they can be great.

A big part of Ubisoft's problem is always taking what works and then just bombarding you with it, with annual (or at least now bi-annual given how development times have increased) releases and just shoving franchises down your throat. It's hard to get too excited for the new Assassin's Creed when everything we've seen is just a minor evolution of the previous games.

So at least with SW Outlaws, it's a new franchise (off a well-known IP obviously), a new take on the SW universe rather than just going lightsabers/Jedi, and so is built off new ideas and gameplay for the SW universe. There was enough reason to have A New Hope.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't think anyone really thought Starfield was going to be a new experience. Most would have been happy with Skyrim in space (myself included).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I know of want Ubisoft to be good so I was optimistic. They're games are perfectly serviceable it's just there's so many good games now I can't justify playing a Ubisoft game for 50+ hours when there's so much better to play.

Would love if Ubisoft would let it's designers try something a bit different and experimental but then again Ubisoft has been battling multiple buy out attempts and has to play it safe and any time they try something a bit different it's been a critical darling that failed to sell.

I was watching the showcase last night and they spent a could of minutes quickly showing seasons for each of their games and i couldn't help but think how many absolute mid games they have and it's mad how Ubi hasn't pulled the plug on a lot of them already.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Im still reserving judgement on Star Wars: Outlaws. Ubisoft are being very coy on what they're sharing to the media. I also still cant justify spending that much on a game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Count me into the ‘life’s too short for Ubisoft open world games’ camp. I have my comfort food games too, so no objection to those who enjoy the games in that sense :) But for me, there’s no shortage of low commitment, straightforwardly enjoyable games out there that are a lot more fulfilling in terms of pure entertainment and craft than most Ubisoft games.

I’d been somewhat curious to try the Avatar game solely to see the fancy tech in action after hearing DF wax lyrical about it. But realised I couldn’t justify spending more than 10-15 quid on a Ubisoft open world game as I know I’d just bounce off it after a session or two.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The impression I got from many was that they (falsey) thought that being set in an entirely new setting, Bethesda might suddenly & finally decided to try to branch out a little from what has become an increasingly stale formula in the face of increasing competition in the OPen World sphere. Obviously "more of the same" has plenty of appeal, but I also think many were disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

If you have PC or Xbox, why not get 1 month ubi plus sub so you can at least try avatar. That's what I did and I honestly gave up after a week or 2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Apparently it's a pretty farcry with blue people so doubt you are missing much. Right down to the crafting and ubi towers.

I kind of found ghost of tsushima combat was just assassin's creed with a rock paper scissors mechanic to give a false sense of depth. Granted didn't play a whole lot but honestly didn't see where the good combat talk was coming from. Stealth worked really well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Frontiers of Pandora is one of the most beautiful games I've played. They built an amazing, living world with Pandora. What ruins it is the combat and story. Would have been a far better survival game.

17.99 for a month’s rental is beyond my curiosity budget 😅

But you'll have access to dozens of other games which all take over a month to beat and feature countless towers and mini game icons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭recyclops

I keep wanting to try Avatar but then I remember how painfully dull Farcry 6 was, which was mad as the game was trying so so hard to be entertaining

They won't take a month to beat if you buy these awesome timesaver packs of resources, XP boosts and maps to important items. They can really help you not have to play the game as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

My favourite part of the game was simply exploring. Once you get your flying buddy, the game really opens up. Each biome has a uniqueness, the crafting/collecting is done like a survival game (higher quality plants/animals only show up in certain conditions such as thunderstorms, high heat, night time, when a certain animal is nearby, etc) and it's actually fun to just go out and mess about. It's constantly ruined by combat with humans, and the story is Navi good; humans bad; kill them all. Unless you play on the higher difficulty, it's too easy but higher difficulty is simply less health, more damage kind of affair and the combat is very repetitive after a while. The flying is pretty cool.

But I recommend everyone check it out if possible because it really is a stunning world they created. Just a pity about the story/combat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Ubi is always a safe bet, sometimes that's good in gaming. I spent a lot this month on games I thought I would enjoy but didn't. Not a fortune, but still. I have found it frustrating lately especially when the last couple of months have been recognised as a strong period.

With Ubi you get an Ubi game. If you're OK with that then you'll have an enjoyable 60hr game and feel you got your moneys worth (via CD keys and dales of course).

I liken them to PlayStation template games to be honest. Safe but well made. Utterly forgettable experiences but I'll still put on 60hrs and finish it. Having said that, all in moderation. I would not buy every ubi game or every Sony game but have left them and gone back years later when I have a lull.

Star wars has become a very safe brand under Disney. I am not even interested in watching the latest show. Ubi + Disney Star Wars is never going to set the gaming world alight. But is it worth playing? Probably good enough for most.

Advertisement