Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

and most people were ignoring his pass at the time.. Prendergast does not have such an obvious flaw in his basics.

plenty of top tier prospects in leinster turn out to be top tier players, some don't, nothing is guaranteed but Prendergast has a good chance at making the top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Sure. Still need to take the chance and 'shoot your shot', as they say on Love Island.

Harry was a huge prospect and it didn't work out. Decent player but not top tier. On to the next prospect. If in a few years it turns out Prendergast is decent but not good enough. Then that's fine too.

Leinster woukd really benefit from a top tier 10. They need to develop players until they find one. It's a slow process, but they need to plough ahead

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Of course he might not make it. And then we'll be left with a relatively mediocre player at 10 for another few seasons. Such is life, it's not like Leinster are entitled to superstars at every position. Mind you I don't agree that there is a fair probability that Prendergast doesn't turn out better than either Byrne or Frawley as I think he is close to being better than 2/3s of them already.

But the clamour for someone else to succeed is obvious because it remains a position of relative weakness. I don't actually think the talk around Byrne is particularly disrespectful or any such guff (at least for the most part). He is ultimately a fundamentally limited player. I certainly don't think any NIQ journeyman would be better than him (and it's not going to happen anyway) but he's probably not in the top 10 in Europe for example.

The list of guys who are legitimately top tier 10s though is pretty small.

The 10s in the world right now who are, in totality of their game, better than Ross Byrne IMO are the following:

-Richie Mo'unga, Damian McKenzie, Beauden Barrett, Finn Russell, Jack Crowley, Owen Farrell, Romain Ntamack, Handre Pollard (probably the most similar player to Byrne in most ways) and maybe George Ford.

In the debatable next level are Noah Lolesio, Manie Libbok & Mathieu Jalibert. All three are clearly better runners than Byrne, but they all have big deficiencies in their games versus him too.

A tier below that is unproven but clearly talented younger players like Marcus Smith, Fin Smith, Paolo Garbisi etc. Prendergast is pushing to try and get into this tier, but has a way to go.

That's how I see it at the moment tbh.

I would take either Smith in a heartbeat over Ross Byrne. They may need to prove themselves more to be truly great, but they have shown more than enough to be a level above him. Fin Smith just played 26 games in a title winning season for Northampton! He's not unproven. Prendergast is nowhere near this tier either, let's be fair.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

he said Prendergast is trying to get into that tier, but has a ways to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,215 ✭✭✭✭Buer

As someone who was cynical as to how good Smith was in the not too distance past, anyone who thinks he's not way ahead of Byrne is watching different players. He has far more to his game and is a far more rounded player than Byrne. Teams have to set up specifically to deal with him. Teams set up specifically to go after Ross Byrne (which I think is foolhardy).

I'd also take Fin Smith over RB in a heartbeat. That lad has been playing brilliant stuff all season. The worst 40 minutes he has had were against Leinster and he still came back strong in the second half including two touchline conversions. He's 9 months older than Sam Prendergast which is a scary thing to consider.

I'd have either of them in the Irish 10 jersey without hesitation, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Like it or not, Ross is currently our 10. My thoughts are he's extremely reliable and a leader. I believe he's got a very good rugby iq and is adept at sustaining a plan.

He's unlikely to run in a 50 meter try or dazzle defending players with steps and jinks. He's made the most of his ability and plays to a very high standard.

Harry on the other hand, is not a leader type player and sometimes looks as if he's zoned out. But Harry is better at playing flat and drawing in a defender. A better athlete who has not reached his peak yet. Next season, I expect more from Harry.

Sam P is a waiting talent. Fantastic prospect and looks like a potential star.

He's not though. Marcus Smith is a 30 cap international and Fin Smith just led his club to a domestic title. Prendergast is several tiers below them yet. I just think Ross Byrne is a tier below them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Sexton is retired and now irrelevant, the guy was a generational talent

My point is simple, you talk about Top Tier as some magical tier, but when I ask who is in this Tier you can't answer

As pointed out Ross has taken Leinster to two finals in a row, if he was playing for another club in France etc I have would bet Irish fans would have him in the Top Tier section. As I said in both recent games v Toulouse he was head to head v Ntamack and I would say he has come out better. I expect you will have Ntamack in this Top Tier?

• Advertisement

Are we not still calling Luke "messiah"? I never got the memo to stop

Personally wouldn't take either Smith over Ross at the moment.

Smith might have 30 caps but name a single game he was effective at 10? his best game I seen for England was from 15

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I like how we're now using McCarthy a lot more off structured attacks. Stretch the defence then isolate a player for McCarthy to run at. He'll inevitably get over the gain line. We did it a lot against Northampton a few weeks ago too. Get into the 22 to set up a ruck, play phases from touchline to midfield then reverse to McCarthy on an inside line where the defence is thin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You're conflating individual performance and team outcome here.

It's really not a great sleight on Ross Byrne to suggest that Ntamack is a better player than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

There was an impressive moment where we used Joe for lineout ball (which he won well under pressure) and then off second phase off the very same lineout. The kid has got workrate and loves to get involved.

Now that he's ironed out the sloppier penalties he was prone to it's great to see just how good a player he has become

Not derailing the discussion about who is or isn't top tier. Waste of time.

Sounds like you're happy with Ross Byrne. I think leinster needs a better 10. I have used the term 'top tier' which could derail the discussion, so replace it with a 'better' player. It's less descriptive but I'm sure you could settle for that phrase.

I've also outlined the main issue that I think lets Ross down which is not threatening the defence which allows them to drift and more effectively defend the leinster attack. If you don't agree, that's fine.

I don't think Ross makes many mistakes or does anything poorly. It's what he doesn't do that's at issue. He doesn't bother the defence and the knock on effect is the backline has less space to work with.

If you're happy with Byrne, that's fine. I think a team that wants to win championships needs a 'better' 10.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,471 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sam Grove White as ref for Bulls V Leinster

decent enough appointment.

You see the last statement is the issue, it's not Ross fault Leinster lost the last 4 finals. Not any of them. In reality Sexton error in Montpellier was the biggest factor in a lost game between all of them.

have we won finals with Ross at 10? yes multiples

Is Ross better than some of the 10's who have won in Europe? in my opinion yes. Just look at West for La Rochelle, R Byrne is a far superior player.

Do you think West is a "top tier" just because he has a European trophy in his back pocket?

To me, his progression over the season is really pleasing. He's gotten noticeably better at some things that people thought were slight weaknesses earlier in the year: he really sticks his tackles now IMO, he's not being overly pushy at the ruck and conceding multiple penalties a game, but he's managed to do this while retaining the things he's best at: he is excellent at disrupting opposition mauls in particular, he has a really venom to his carry (he smashed Tom O'Toole on his arse last week, and had another couple of hugely noteworthy carries too), and he continues to be a key contributor to a very good scrum. His lineout work will keep improving IMO. He's had a really excellent season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,215 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That's a big game for him. Not sure he has ever been involved in a top tier test match even as an assistant? Think he got a last 16 Challenge Cup game this season and that was it for him in Europe. Surprising appointment.

• Advertisement

It's a pity last season was lost to injury as I think Leinster really wanted to give him a lot more time on the pitch.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

You really want to go down a side track of discussing who is and isn't top tier. Does it matter how many times I say I'm not interested in that diversion? Seems not.

Sounds like you're happy with Ross Byrne. I think leinster needs a better 10

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭StormForce13

Ah, but the full sentence read "LUKE McGRATH is not the MESSIAH, he's a very naughty boy!".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Sorry when you say Ross has won multiple finals at 10? You mean the 2020 and 2021 URC covid interrupted finals right?

He has started for the last 2 champions cup finals that Leinster lost and the semi final loss to Rochelle in 2021.

He had a poor showing off the bench in 22 final too.

Also Ross started v the Bulls in 2022 URC loss.

He is obviously not the only reason leinster lost. But is a position that other teams target. Teams will always target the 10 obviously but his lack of athleticism means that he is not a running threat.

When Leinsters set piece work well he can organise the backs and pull off great set piece first phase plays..

But when the game breaks down and gets scrappy like most finals do and maybe leinster aren't winning lineout as cleanly or scrums and he is on the back foot his game can be got at and it's easier of defences to get after him because they known his game becomes more one dimensional

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ringrose and Conan are fit and available for selection this weekend. I'm inferring from the statement that Ringrose was fine to play against Ulster, but was held back.

Reads that way, though seems a slightly odd choice to bring him back from a massive layoff 10,000km away at altitude…

Would be a huge boost if he is back though

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

'decent enough appointment' when compared to other SCO refs, or just in general ?.

Pity the URC couldn't have borrowed Pearce or Ridley.

You do realise the same can be said of every 10 in the World, if the forwards start to lose control and overpowered the 10 is not going to be able to change that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I 100% understand that.

But some 10s can keep the defence guessing with a run threat or a little dink in over the top or the trademarked sexton loop play to create an over lap.

Ross has stand deeper and shovel it on or cross field kick. He tried a dink in over the top v Toulouse and didn't have the pace to retrieve it and dupont easily cleaned up.

He got an intercept break away v la rochelle and was caught within about 10 yards.

Ross is a fine player. Perfect for 90% of your games. But against the top teams in Europe has been found wanting on big occasions.

I dont think at this stage in his career he is going to get much faster or more athletic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I would say Leinster wanted to give him less time last season than he'd got the season before that. Why else would they have signed Jenkins when they already had Ryan and Molony as starters? It's no coincidence McCarthy's breakout season came in in the time between Fardy finishing up and Jenkins being recruited. McCarthy went from benching in the European Final in 2022 to out of the squad for the equivalent game in 2023 because they signed Jenkins.

Thankfully Andy Farrell brought him into Irish squads and accelerated his development that way.

Advertisement