Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Oh no, we are about to see an increase in Middle Eastern young lads who suddenly identify as female now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Thats a good thing there isn't enough ladyboys in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LongfordMB

It's becoming more and more clear to me that the correct approach to all this is to process asylum seekers outside EU soil in a range of third countries, burn the boats of the human traffickers, and return any asylum seekers who do make it here to those safe third countries for processing.

Anyone who says we should deport is actually being too soft. We must know if they genuine refugees or not before they touch European soil, given the social and economic cost of their presence here. The key is to not have to deport anyone by going on the front foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I'd say if they've a phone and clothes that cost several months' rent of hard working people and they have a few grand to pay a trafficker - they're no more a genuine refugee than I am a Spitfire pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Now what do they think is going to happen when the next crash comes around? There will be more cuts and austerity but we won't have so much space to cut budgets, especially with the billions being spent on asylum seekers. Do you think people are going to be happy having their welfare, pensions cut, or tax increases while more and more asylum seekers are going to be coming in with their hands out?

I hope it doesn't happen, but think if it does, it's going to be extremely ugly.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'm quite happy for anybody to peacefully protest. I just think this might be a good time for the anti-immigration movement to reflect on their approach around rioting, assaulting gardai, vigilante road blocks, intimidation and arson.

I think it hasn't gone down well with the voters. It also looks a bit silly when you're all pretending to be concerned about security and shortages, yet take part in these protests, which are regularly dangerous and waste scarce Garda resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

"you're all pretending to be concerned about security and shortages, yet take part in these protests"

Careful now, that could be libellous. I, for one, have never attended a protest of any kind in my life, nor have I assaulted or intimidated anyone, threatened them with physical violence or committed arson.

I am very keen on knitting though so you can call me Madame DeFarge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I agree.. voting for extremes and bringing US type left v right politics here is depressing . That is why centrist parties like FF and FG keep getting votes in Ireland . There is no appetite for drama in this country .

Many of these elected candidates in the locals and EP are voted for on a personal basis so people will vote for what affects them personally and candidates they know .

I don't think it can be classified as older , settled people vs younger, I and others of us have said we all have children/ young adults living at home, so all , young and old , have a vested interest in housing .

The difference is that not everybody feels that asylum seekers and refugees , while it is a poorly handled situation , is the reason our children are still living at home . Most older people can see this problem has been developing over the last 14 years and the hands off approach by consecutive housing ministers along with no priority being given to its solution by government has led us to this .

This is the main issue in the next GE and Simon Harris is very correct in noting that a good Locals and EP elections are not an indicator for a future GE . They cannot afford to be complacent . They will have to get the finger out now and try to pull off a pretty amazing turnaround somehow to affect change .

If anything the electorate's very firm rejection of the recent referendum shows the nuanced and maturity of the Irish people and has given this government a good reason to be nervous .

I think there's some decent points there but I'd argue, firstly that we don't have a 'free for all' approach to immigration. Certainly in terms of IPAs I think we have an approach which is quite centrist in it's origins and in why it's been retained. If you look around you'll see we're broadly similar to the rest of Europe.

I agree we need to look to why young people are moving to the far-right. I'd draw the line at admonishing people for being elitist and condescending towards them. Let's not forgot what far-right parties have historically done to their political opponent and other groups they disliked FFS.

I think lack of education around immigration is a big issue. I think too many drawn to the far-right get their ideas about immigration from that same far-right and the 'border control' TV shows.

I believe too that a lot of older centrist voters would love to do more on peoples struggles with housing (many will be struggling themselves) but feel just as helpless on the issue as those drawn to the far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"I think lack of education around immigration is a big issue."

That is the same old patronising Pat Paddy on the Head stuff. Same as uttered by our esteemed leaders in government, most of those in opposition and those who have skin in the game in terms of advocating for immigration.

There needs to be a real and genuine acceptance that many citizens have real and genuine cause for concern over the direction of our society. Not just flaccid lip service as in 'sure we know there are concerns but it's like this, yous don't really understand what we're doing and why blah blah etc etc'

There are many citizens who see & understand very well indeed. And who don't need to be patronised with claptrap.

• Advertisement

When people are offering blantently incorrect ideas along the lines of 'we have a far-left free for all immigration system' I think it's fair to suggest they're poorly informed on the issue.

By all means challenge how our system works, and present alternatives, but there's nothing far-left or extreme about it. The origins of today's asylum systems lie in the practicalities of dealing with large amounts of refugees after ww2. It's largely centrist governments who've retained these systems, for lack of a better alternative, and I believe because they also serve a function of keeping people from living undocumented.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's not even a lack of education, it's the constant lying about it all. Asylum seekers will pay for our pensions, they don't put a strain on housing or other services, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And perhaps others need to reflect on their own biases and misconceptions. We are a sovereign state and like other every state have a basic right to control our borders and decide just who is allowed into the state and who should be refused entry. We work as a society to improve our own country and to support our own citizens who are in need of help in any way. We elect a government to spend our taxes wisely and for the benefit of Irish citizens.

We have decided as a state who to let in and who not to let in. We let in people seeking asylum, and turn away people who don't but only when they they don't meet other criteria, which again we have set.

Nothing far-left about that, it's broadly the same as what the rest of the western world has done.

Some political groups have suggested changing this but, as I'm sure you're aware, they've been widely rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

There are 6000 people who this government have granted to asylum who don't have housing.

We could make a massive super human effort, spend about €1b to build accommodation and give them all a place to live.

What do you think would happen then? Surely we would get 12,000 asylum seekers the next year all looking for a place to live, places that don't exist.

Do we build places to live for them as well? What if we get 50k people the next year, maybe 100k the year after that? If you took the first 10k, or the first 20k, then you've got to take them too, right?

It's too late to close this can of worms. There is no political will to even discuss putting some sort of cap on the numbers. Their only solution is going to be more government spending and more numbers.

Eventually something will break, unfortunately we're a long way off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

We let failed AS stay, which I think we should change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

They've been moved on, but more barriers are in place, this is has gone well beyond a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Augme

There's far more legal foreigners coming into the country than asylum seekers. A zero refugee policy is going to make zero difference to our need for housing. Is your next step to then ban all foreigners coming into Ireland and ask any foreigners here to leave?

Post edited by Augme on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Why are you so permissive of our country being scammed by non genuine people?

You always reply saying how stopping them isn’t going to solve the housing crisis without engaging with the main point that they shouldn’t be here at all, housing crisis or no

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Augme

Oh please. Anyone pushing a zero refugee policy doesn't care whether they are genuine or not. If people are going to pushing a zero refugee policy on the basis of our housing crisis then they need to be able to stand over that poposition. Otherwise, stopping using the housing crisis as an excuse to kick them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭engineerws

The lying. I found that very annoying.

I think it's important to recognise the truth as otherwise it'd likely be difficult to devise solutions, at least in my life anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

How many did you take in if your so concerned. Put your mony where your mouth is. Stop asking taxpayers and hard working people of a small nation here to house and feed the world and its poor. We have absolutely no obligation to do such only what were willing to do. And voluntarily do out of goodness. And we are way past that point of our super generosity now. Time to pull the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

No, they don’t - that’s a BS false dichotomy you’ve just made up yourself

There can be a number of contributory factors adding to the stance that non genuine asylum seekers should not be here, additional unnecessary pressure on housing being only one of them.

Getting back to my original point, why do you think people that have no legal right to be here shouldn’t be ejected from the country? Don’t lie to yourself, you know well that the thousands that arrived in on flights and then claimed to have “lost” their passports are not genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Interesting that DCC broke up the camp this time, not the govt.

Does anyone know what prompted the move by DCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

"Does anyone know what prompted the move by DCC?"

Doing their civic duty I would say. They have both a right and a responsibility to manage the streets of the city.

I'd say that at this stage the government are pursuing a deliberate policy of allowing IPAs to end up on the streets in the hope that word will go out on the old worldwide web and that numbers coming here will drop accordingly. Even if we get the three little pigs to start building direct provision centres round the clock we can never accommodate all the new arrivals. Some of them will inevitably be homeless.

Basically, the government will do everything to avoid dealing with the situation they've created and they'll pursue the standard Irish practice of hoping things will somehow resolve themselves without taking any direct action.

They must be in a right old quandary now because they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Either way, they'll be seen as naughty boys and girls by human rights watchdogs. Manage the IPA flood properly to reduce the numbers coming in - bad, bad Irish government. Let them in and leave them on the streets - bad, bad Irish government. Ironically, as a result of their fear of losing face internationally, they're going to lose face internationally. What a useless shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Quags

Surely those in power have to sit down and have little think to themselves and say "this is madness"

Look at the police removing people from protests as they are worried about what/who is coming to their area, surely they go home and think thats its not right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

At this stage Dublin will be full of barriers by summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Processing of asylum claims from safe countries should be expedited, inform applicants that their applications are denied and that appeals are not permitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

833 pages in and you still do not get it.

Not a free for all? - Where are you been for the last 2 years? The government have no control on any of this.

Why are they moving to the right? The Dail is mainly left and even though FF/FG would be historically considered centre/centre right they have been pulled too far left. There is no real centre/centre right, so if you want any alternative to all the nonsense currently being pushed by the left you have no choice but to go far right.

Education is not needed, it wont change the reality of situation to whatever you want it to be - the government needs to shift back to centre/centre right.

Its funny you mention what right wing parties have done to their opponents and other groups…. left wing are just as bad if not worse. And before you come back looking for examples, read a history book.

Post edited by twinytwo on

Advertisement