Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The decline of SF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,783 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Problem with that is that SFs base and the wider working class were all deeply opposed to those radical free market positions and expected SF to be as well, they didn't expect them to be lock step with the Govt because it was on trend in leafy south Dublin.

The attitude to the base, lifelong activists who even expressed concern about these issues or questioned it, was absolutely shocking.

You can't have some snooty activist or wannabe cllr screaming at someone that they are a "fash" etc for wondering about an approach being correct and that was all too common.

On Twitter Sarah Holland was describing the Irish times political journalist, Lithuanian name, as a "trad Cath fash", she was saying McDonald had only bad elections.

Disagree with her, but that journalist isnt a traditional Catholic fascist ffs. Then she is tweeting Eco's 14 characteristics of fascism, what about SF cllrs being rarer than a Corncrake south of the Liffey and people who put in years of work getting 2% in places they were once cllrs and serious contenders for TD.

What the f789 in Umberto Eco's musings on that.

Another of her normal ultra nutjob tweets is pointing out a tricolour on a Simon Harris poster, that FG will try absorb the far right and the flag being the sign of it. Mind blowing Lunacy, so it's raving about trad Catholics and the Irish flag, she isnt in the DUP ffs

That's Blanch15* and Clo Cl* levels of obsession and delusion.

*To protect posters anonymity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭littlevillage

SF were seen as the alternative in 2020 and they became the biggest party in the Dail, because people were sick of the incumbents.

They couldn't however put together a government and were out manuovered by FFG.... they have been poor in opposition, not having any policies that differ from Government policies. They will be wiped out in the late Autumn when Simon Harris calls an early General Election (after a generous give-away budget)

The only hope for SF is if they ditch Mary Lou and maybe install Pierce Doherty as leader and try to come up with some serious policies and hope for a major fall-out between FF and FG that could open the door for a coalition with FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I have been around too long to believe any utterance about parties not going into power with various parties.

Labour/FF-1992

Greens/FF 2007

FF/FG 2020

!948- FG and others

180k plus car is a massive draw

Various goodies

Obviously - FG and FF want to avoid SF because they would attack the vested interests they protect butif the numbers stack a particular way -they will do a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I couldn't care less how long you are around.

No party, even PBP, want anything to do with SF.

Nobody wants anything to do with them because of who and what they are, waffling about FF and FG but forgetting no other party wants to touch them either is a bit disingenuous

As I said, it is similar in the North when other parties have no option but to deal with them. none of them want anything else to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭antimatterx

11% is shocking, but I'm so happy. I **** don't want to see SF near the cabinet table.

• Advertisement

The top-down model of SF hinders it. There is a belief its run from the North.

Im not saying FF and FG are that democratic but they have parliamentary party meetings and do listen to backbenchers.

I would suspect SF canvassers told the SF Politburu that immigration was an issue but were ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

How will they almost certainly be the biggest party after the next General Election?

They only got 11% of the vote!!

Absolutely correct, not a single party is interested in Sinn Fein. The Labour Party have been going after them the last few days as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if the IT is to be believed (and to be fair, they'd hardly be described as sympathetic to SF), the cracks are starting to show a little in the usually well drilled SF facade.

If the numbers stack the right way, they will talk. Believe what you like.

• Advertisement

That's the only certainty in politics.

Not that long ago that FG were in coalition with a who's who of the Official IRA and their hands still stained from printer ink off the 5 pound notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

They were the biggest party in the last general election and they're polling stronger since then.

Local elections have a poor turnout. Their voting base will be more motivated to come out and vote.

There'll be a movement to "vote left, transfer left" also.

I'm not a fan of SF but I'd bet strongly they'll be the biggest party.

I think Simon Harris will give FG a little boost. He's a much cleverer politician than Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Auld lads who made a name for themselves as men behind the wire or on the blanket simply do not have the ability to understand the realities of operating a modern political party across two jurisdictions. It might be proving fruitful in the 6 (I’d very much question that long term), but it isn’t working down here.

The reality is that a lot of people who vote for SF aren’t into immigration and massive societal change. They don’t even know what No Pasarán means, and have more beliefs that align to Gript than The Ditch.

They are the third biggest party in these elections (fourth if you include independents).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

only reason Mary lou is still in charge Sinn Fein hope the electorate will elect a first woman Taoiseach. Same reason Democrats had Hillary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The only place SF are getting their ideas and policies from are a bunch of lads in a smoke filled room off the Falls Road. It's comical that some people think of them as a 'normal' party.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Based on recent policy decisions, SF may not be seen as left by the time of the GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

A few years ago talking to a few young people re elections /SF etc. They said the sooner SF are elected the better as the current government are useless / lazy etc

I said be very careful what you wish for because it will be your generation who will pay the price and be hardest hit when all of SFs promises have to be funded and you will be as forgotten by them as the current government.

if our local representative for SF is any indication of the rest of the party I despair !

This sort of illuminati type controlling groups posting.

You on about chemtrails again.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,638 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Local elections have a poor turnout. 

When the triumphalism dies down and reality bites this will be addressed. Lowest turnout ever signals the level of importance the electorate give to LA's.

GE elections as Paschal warned are different ballgames.
    SF have work to do, no doubt but in the background is the fact that the public did not increase their support for FF and FG on LA's and more or less decimated the junior coalition party in government. (halved their vote share…eek)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭baldbear

There needs to be heave made against Mary Lou for the good of SF. I know this never happens in SF but it needs to now so the party can move forward

Least we forget a few opinion polls showed FF at 16%. They over shot that by what 8%?

SF are now around 12%.They got what the last election around 24

Even allowing for low turnout they'd be lucky to get 16%

They can spin this all you like but they're in deep ****.

FG/FF loading up the goodie bags for the Oct budget

I haven't decided who I will vote for but I don't fully trust SF.

They are but FF always out perform in locals.

They also have serious long term problems as a party and will continue to decline as an electoral force, where that stops is the question.

Mass emigration of young people and something like 3/4s of under 35s in still living at home.

No one could say that this govt is worried about our young people.

The old line about FG and FF voters being happy to drive their children to the airport as long as their side won still rings as true as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I wouldn't read too much into this local election.

The Greens did well even though I think they won't in the GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Did they do well? They got 3% first preference vs 22% for both FF and FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

FOT annoys me at times but I think he is bang on the money here. I can remember years ago David Cullinane opened a flashy new constituency office and SF shop in manor street in Waterford. My older brother was walking past it one day and one of the SF hangers on was at the door and did a dirty big phlegm at my brothers feet. My brother not being a shrinking violet got into some pushing and shoving with the piece of sh:t who spat at his feet before David Cullinane came out apologised and calmed things down. The thing is my brother left school at 15 and has had periods where he found it difficult to find work. All of his jobs have been low paid. He is the type of person who SF should appeal to and did until then. We both know David Cullinane and grew up around the corner from him. But here is the thing! An awful lot of the people that were suddenly sporting "IRA undefeated army" stickers on their cars were the local bogies and were undesirables even in there own estates. I can't imagine this type of person being a long term home for a party whose leader thinks some women can have penises and who appear to be pro immigration. There is another type that I think SF will lose. These are older voters again I am think of neighbors of David Cullinane when he was growing up. These were Workers Party supporters in the 80s who migrated back to SF when they had nowhere to go. They may have canvassed for the WP but they are socially conservative. They held their nose and canvassed for John Hearne at the previous local elections. They were very worried about the abortion repeal referendum because they had a disabled adult son. So I think there is a lot of people sticking with SF because they haven't figured out where to go. And there is a lot of people who didn't vote for the same reason. Fintan O'Toole smashed it I think. Its early days but when the numbers are crunched I think you will find that the Social Democrats and Labour probably took votes from SF's woke wing while their anti immigration followers maybe went to Independents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

I never understood how they got away with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,638 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Got half of their LE vote last time and may lose their MEPs.

Yeh, they did 'well'.

Advertisement