Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,559 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A big thing about Ubi games too is, they're always on sale. Half the games they have pretty much take it in turns to be on sale (including the various DLCs, Season Passes, different editions etc). Unless Outlaws releases to great reviews (which going by the previews, it may not), much easier to hang on 3-4 months and it'll be at least 33% off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Theres just too much good stuff past and present to play that I can't justify a Ubisoft game. Even if I was looking for a brain candy game I'd rather play an older B Tier game that was interesting than invest a huge amount of hours into a Ubisoft game. I'm all for popcorn games like popcorn movies but popcorn movies are only 2 hours of your life at most.

Tl;dr ya'll should feel shame when playing the latest ubi/Sony game when you haven't played ace combat 7 yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Even if they get acclaim they’re usually on sale swiftly. I picked up PoP for around 40% off 2-3 months after release.

Definitely the publisher I’d be least inclined to buy on day one given the speed and size of discounts. Although PoP was also the first major Ubisoft release I’ve bought at all in at least the last 6-7 years 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Having said all that before reading the previews, maybe it's going to be one for years down the line when I'm in a lull and itching for some star wars. Not that I'm sure itching for some star wars will ever be a thing for me again, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I really wanted to like Far Cry 6 but they really did try too hard. One of the things that ruined it most and crippled the enjoyment for me was the utter lack of progression. Best guns and loadouts available after about twenty minutes with absolutely no reason to change weapons thereafter. It was a disasterous decision as it brutally exposed the repetitive skeleton of the game more than ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,085 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I got a month of Ubisoft+ Premium recently and played the latest Assassin's Creed game and Valiant Hearts 2. It allowed me to share a saved game across Xbox and PC for Assassin's Creed which was great. I'll probably do the same for their Star Wars game when it comes out, €18 to play the game across two platforms as long as you beat it within a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Surely they can see that, people getting Ubi+ for a month just for new releases. Can't be good for the bottom line and as they discount so heavily so soon after launch, it makes people wait longer. Feels like they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Since I've decided to turn the pc into a gaming one, I spent ages last night going through Steam and Epic looking for something to play. And all the time I wished there was a Gamepass/PS+ type service for pc. Then I remembered I have Gamepass on pc. Not looking forward to optimising the game for my setup. Its why I'll always be a console gamer, plug n play is just easier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PC gaming is pretty much plug and play these days. You won't need to optimise anything outside of new high spec games, indies and old games you can whack everything up.

Graphics options are usually self explanatory or else stuff like Capcom games will give nice indications of how settings affect games. Some better coded games will even let you make changes in real time. It's also kind of educational to see what all the settings do and how they affect visuals. I find that interesting.

Just remember to keep drivers updated. Also if you are starting out, DF videos usually give good guides to optimal visual settings as well as which settings are resource hogs (usually stuff like shadows and ray tracing).

One thing to note is super sampling AA. This can kill your PC as it runs games are higher internal resolutions before scaling down. However it looks great on old games that support it.

You'll pick it up on no time.

And this is exactly why I'll always be a console gamer. I need to get an education to get the most out of the game.

Medium settings, I'm getting 59 in the opening scene and it tanked to 45 as the elevator came down. Into display settings, and yeah, they explain what each settings is but very few explain how it affects and the further down the list you go the more complex they get. There are 26 individual options to change in Starfield display settings. It includes 4 upscaling options with no explanation of what each does (seeings as I have an RTX, DLSS would be the best no? Or maybe the AMD produced FSR3 is better…). Changed a few settings, screen tearing happened but 101fps! Set it to low, stable 59fps but can I not do more? Can I get a stable 120fps? Why does it now look like my game is set underwater…

Guess I'm looking at YouTube videos and guides for a while before I get around to actually playing the game. Pretty sure this is why I never kept the last PC up to date. Press PS controller button, select game, play. No amount of people who know what they're doing telling me it's straight forward or simple will make it so. It's not, not for people who have no idea, not for people who just want to play games. I'm not idiot, but I shouldn't need to understand the inner workings of graphics settings just to play a game as stable and good as possible. The first crowd to genuinely make a program that does all this for you (properly) will be rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭jj880

I don't PC game much apart from diving back into the Oddworld series from time to time. Virtual Desktop + Steam VR usually sets the best wireless gfx settings (for games Ive played so far) e.g. Vertigo 2, HL Alyx so perhaps when you get your PSVR2 ⇒ PC adapter it will be similar.

The game Im addicted to at the moment is a bit of an old one dating all the way back to Quest 1. In Death: Unchained is so rewarding. I dont think Ive ever had a more realistic feeling VR mechanic as the bow + arrow in this game. Must be well over 50 hours play time already.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don’t think PC settings are in any way inscrutable with just a very basic amount of research. But Starfield is a particularly bad example here as with the latest updates of the console version you’ll have to make very similar choices around performance vs resolution, where you’ll also get substantial dips in particular areas of the game if you want to go over 30 FPS. PC just gives more options and customisation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You may commence feeling old everyone.

If you have a rtx then dlss would be best. Vsync should be on to reduce tearing, triple buffer would be the best there if it's an option.

You don't need to get an education. It is an education. Just try things out.

If anyone wants to try an absolute cracker of a retro game, rocket knight adventures is out today.

Certified as the second best megadrive game ever*

*Official ranking by retr0gamer and therefore totally based on fact.

Pah. I ended up giving up on it. Dropped everything to low and still going between 40-55fps and now it looks like there's a constant film of dust in the air. Probably a bad game to try out the rig for the first time. For now, playing it on my half-the-price Series X is an easier experience.

So decided to try something less taxing, and noted that Dyson Sphere Program is on Gamepass too. Yeah, I'm sure a fully 3d including space rendered production line with millions of moving parts definitely will run smooth… fun game though, even if I'm still so, so early in it. Leaving the planet seems so far away yet, and it's a major part of the game. I can potentially see why people have hundreds to thousands of hours in this already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭recyclops

What a Christmas 1996 was. The move from snes/megadrive for me and my brothers (no console for each kid in those days) was epic. One brother was still Santa age but we still played along he never questioned how all siblings, aunts uncles etc knew to buy us an extra controller, memory card and games.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was looking through some of my older games and noticed i only had a few trophies left to get in Mafia Definitive Edition so said I'd download it to get the platinum. Then remembered one trophy was for completing it on classic difficulty which i already did but the trophy didn't pop. No way i can do another party through of that thinking about the race on classic. Sickened, would have been a nice plat to get. Fantastic game none the less for anyone who hasn't tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Don't fall into game pass syndrome. Where you play a little bit of everything, lose focus and never complete anything.

Oh I have that syndrome for years. But I gave up on Starfield because trying to get it to run good was taking up gaming time. And it's possibly horribly optimised so maybe a bad idea to try out my rig with it. DSP is good though, although I can see myself giving up on it after a while due to the sheer scale of it, my little brain may not be able to keep up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Satisfactory is another great automation production line game. Lost so many hours in it.

• Advertisement

'Redundancies' in Gamer Network seem to be kicking in today (I'm guessing after the legal consultation period) and it seems Dicebreaker is getting shut down or mothballed in the process. EIC and others say they've been laid off. Always semeed they never quite gathered the critical mass they needed on YouTube but frustrating to see it immediately shut by a new owner.

On that note, there was an interesting article over on Remap that highlighted some of the big concerns I have with all the consolidation and layoffs in games journalism. Independent and subscription sites only really work for established voices - many of whom spent a decade or more building their profile and honing their craft at traditional media outlets. When you lose that avenue, it becomes difficult to know where the next generation of professional games' writers is going to come from. It's also not really a model that allows for in-depth reporting - I know the Remap crew have spoken before about how the push towards podcasts and streams also really ate into their capacity at Waypoint.

It was between that, Factorio or DSP. I had decided on DSP even before I copped it was on Gamepass, so happy out now. The scale of all 3 games scare me though. I could easily get lost in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I started out with factorio and a few years later upgraded to satisfactory. Essentially the same game but different perspectives but both are so much fun.

I must give DSP a go. Is it game pass PC or on console?

PC for me anyway, not sure about console as the nephew has it. I think there's a few pc exclusive ones and judging by the end size of the game, I don't know if a console could handle it. A quick search suggests it's pc only but info could be out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Didn't even know Jakey put a new video out.

Remember Me is one of my 7/10 games. Same with Binary Domain.

Just messing because Binary Domain is obviously a 10/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Welp, that's eleven minutes I can't believe I watched to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Sounds like the forthcoming Jurassic Park game will have more in common with Alien Isolation than Turok, and I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Fingers crossed. It's a series crying out for some decent games!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Its a fairly obvious but potentially great approach to a Jurassic Park game for sure; surprised it has taken this long for someone else high profile to run with the Alien Isolation approach.

I still have a weird nostalgic fondness for that crappy SNES top down shooter - the one with the 10fps indoor FPS sections lol

Advertisement