Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2024 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭traco

Totally agree. I just checked the new cars tab on carzone and selected lowest to highest. Looks like (based on my 30 seconds research) that the Dacia Sandero Hatchback is the cheapest entry car at €16,190.00

The point I was poorly making above was that a low cost EV based on USD10k in China would be a very attractive option here at 12.5-15k and would have the potential to gather interest. I wasn't saying people should buy one but the point I was hoping to make was that at a price point like that and the low running costs it might be a lot more attractive as an EV entry point. I think a 100km/100kph car at sub 10k would be an even better proposition although I don't see it happening anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭djan

You can't really compare the cost of Chinese made cars sold on the Chinese market. Dealers often take 1-2k margins, add to that documentation and transport. Additionally, there's the very costly homologation for the EU market including the associated equipment and crash resistance upgrades and you get a substantially higher price regardless of any government intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Also the suggestion that EV sales are down because there aren't small size hatchbacks aren't for sale is a load of nonsense. People need to learn to accept that EVs aren't the silver billet that everyone thought they would be. They are perfect in certain circumstances, not all circumstances like ICE is

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

luckily we have you here to explain it all to us Gerry.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Do you have an explanation for why EVs have suddenly become less useful as of September 2023? The sales numbers show that something changed and you seem to be clued in to just why the cars became less than perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The suggestion I think was a cheap basic EV is attractive for people who want an EV.
    Not that it's effected sales figures.

Personally I got rid of one of my ICE cars because it didn't suit lots of short urban journeys. So not perfect for everything.

Your right, that makes sense. An EV is much better than an ICE in your situation

I never said they were less useful. I think a saturation stage has been reached with the pent up demand of the EVs of the last few years. No car or technology is perfect. But something is definitely gone wrong with EVs if they can't hold sales

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If we've reached saturation in the Irish market at the current 13% of sales, what's making us so different from the UK and France where they're at 25% for the year? It would seem strange to me that our two nearest neighbours are able to sustain significantly higher market share.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cgorzy

Is the 25% For UK and France for fully electric or all Plug In vehicles? Did a quick google and seeing 17% for France and 16% for UK, for BEV, but could be looking in the wrong place. Both countries trending up unlike here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭sk8board

significant UK sales are driven by cheap lease deals and company salary sacrifice schemes - it makes far more sense to have an EV in that instance, even if it didn’t fully suit your requirements.

Irish sales tend to be driven by fully private sales, where there’s little to no financial incentive, and financed by car loan or significant cash purchase.

Whilst I agree with you, that's not the theory of @Gerrymandering reborn who suggests that we've reached a saturation point of people who EVs are useful for.

If we've reached a saturation of usefulness no level of financial incentive will shift the needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭halkar

Fecking green agendas. They want us to go green with solar panels, EVs and they tax the $hit out of them. Do they really care about environment or their deep pockets. EU tariff, vat, vrt 10k euro car becomes 30k euro tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Sigh, it's not specifically a green agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

There is no VAT on domestic solar installs. But there is if you buy the equipment yourself for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

why blame the greens. State support for companies is illegal in Europe, same rules should apply for companies selling into Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭djan

Surely the multiple grants and tax breaks offered to companies in Ireland and across the EU is a form of state support no? Maybe due to intellectual property and the environment being respected, Europe is quickly falling behind the development in China and others.

It's a question of how you structure it, grants and tax breaks applicable to a particular category of goods is ok, grants and tax breaks applied to particular manufacturers of goods is not.

We wouldn't be allowed to create an SEAI grant that only applied to cars manufactured in Ireland (if there were any)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭fits

I wonder what June figures will look like. When are they out?

Usually after lunch on the first working day of the month. Should be sometime in the next few hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd imagine poor enough. Don't think Tesla managed to get many deliveries before the quarter end and the main dealers would have held cars for 242 regs for customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭eagerv

Figures are out on beepbeep. Poor overall, yet Tesla managed no 1 and no 3 for June for Y and 3.

well it’s a good time to buy. That’s for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Beepbeep says the M3 was the best selling car in June. A nice surprise.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 13,867 ✭✭✭✭josip

Tesla being the best seller in June is neither a surprise nor anything to be upbeat about. I think they are the only brand who won't hold over a car until July for the reg and they usually have a Q2 boat from China delivering to Ireland in June. The overall picture is very depressing. I understand that not everyone can afford to buy a new car, but among those who can, the numbers are heading in the wrong direction. Diesel sales increased by 6%. Even if you're a climate denier, very few would deny diesel's toxic emissions. Wtf is gong on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Not really a surprise. Most car brands will be waiting until July for the 242 registration plate. Tesla are outliers in that respect. Same thing happened last June

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Tax on polluting cars is too low, needs to be ramped up at point of sale to stop them being bought/built.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭VikingG

On the positive side 46% of car sales in June 24 were electric

primarily driven by Telsa June shipment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think it's just a blip. The market segment of people who can afford an EV is probably spent. Tesla hype has probably disapated also.

EV prices are dropping every year and the next gen of affordable EVs are just arriving.

Batteries are dropping 40% in price also over the next year.

Price parity is predicted to happen in '26/'27 also.

So I expect sales to increase again next year and keep rising.

• Advertisement

last year was artificially high as well with pent up demand and covid savings. Hopefully 2025 will see an improvement.

Advertisement