Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Our house is full, bedrooms or boxrooms as Simon likes to call them, occupied with adult children who can't afford rentals. Rental costs that have rocketed due to rapidly increasing demands on it, fuelled by both legal immigration and asylum seekers/ refugees, landlords getting €800 min for a room tax free etc etc. That's one of the self serving reasons why I'm opposed to the current situation and it's a bloody good reason.

So how about your place, how are you fixed. Since you and others think it's a great idea to have all these people rock up and get their papers, will you find space for them? That's a very fair question.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,609 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Your major problem is with "legal" immigration into the country, including EU citizens then? Refugees or asylum seekers aren't part of the accommodation rental process

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

"more fencing will be required"

Waterways Ireland are worried about the impact on the canal of the lack of sanitation facilities but obviously they also want to see the fencing gone.

"A spokesperson said it is continuing to work with multi-agency partners in the best interests of all concerned and will consult with agency partners and local residents regarding the replacement of the temporary fencing with ecologically sensitive landscaping solutions appropriate to the canal corridor and surrounding cityscapes.

“This is a very dynamic and sensitive situation and a timeline for completion of these landscaping works is not currently available,” they added."

To save the canal both ecologically and as an amenity there will have to be an acknowledgement on the part of the government that this is a permanent situation and the landscaping of the area will have to change in response. I suppose some sort of hedging or planting to prevent people camping with just space for a few benches??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Lovely. The landscape of the canal changed forever to try and keep these campsites out. I used to live and work around the canal for nearly 20 years and there was always something so beautiful about it. Lovely to sit on the grassy bank on a summers day. Really sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

So that’s the long term plan then, just keep adding eye sore fencing everywhere rather than do anything to reduce the unsustainable numbers coming in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭techdiver

This. The result is essentially a thumbs up from the electorate to the government that they are doing a good job. The only party to be "punished" by their base was SF. Essentially the demographic that votes FF/FG are not effected by immigration or housing as they are the older generation who are comfortable and have no such worries.

SF's working class vote has jumped to the various fringe parties and independents which will effect no change as neither them nor SF will have any power. I think it shows that SF have failed to read the room as regards their position on a number of issues as it pertains to their base voter.

Ironically for young people heavily impacted by housing etc they tend to vote for more far left parties and candidates that not only want to continue our free for all approach to immigration but add to it. As much as I despise FF/FG at least Ireland still has a relatively centrist majority. I would like a new centrist alternative to these parties but that seems like a pipe dream.

The far right and far left still haven't gotten a foot hold in Ireland which is good. My concern seems to be with many twitter accounts that were espousing the dangers of far right candidates openly encouraging people to vote for "far left" candidates (the words used). Seems that history is not being thought well in our school system if these young people think the solution to the dangers of the far right is to vote for the far left. Far left ideology has never gone wrong before has it?

It's all quite depressing that the polarisation of politics is spreading like wildfire. You've seen it in America and now you are seeing it in Europe. At the end of the day the attitude of the ruling class and the media has lead to the rise of the far right. Just look at the media articles and tweets admonishing people who voted for such candidates instead of actually looking into why so many people who would have voted for centrist parties in the past are now gravitating to the right. They are too busy soap boxing their moral and intellectual superiority to look at the causes and try to come up with solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭prunudo

So seems the machines have moved into Clonmel, shame to see the lack of people protesting this, but after the election I shouldn't really be surprised either.

Yes they are and will increasingly be. We already see war refugees being encouraged to leave state provided accommodation and seek their own in the private sector. The state will hand over €800 tax free a month for a room to help them. We have asylum applicants given their papers and leaving to look for rentals likewise. Then we have what is an unquantified and undocumented immigration problem, those who have come in, ignored the authorities and working away, start staying with friends etc. then compete in rental sector.

Now address this please. Not good enough to pretend there are no knock on effects on the rental market.

I dunno about that - the winds of change are a blowin. The vote for Independents is well up and FF/FG can waffle all they like over who has the biggest d**k but they know too that there is deep dissatisfaction and it'll blow their way as well.

Look hard at what is happening in France & Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I don't hold much hope but it would be nice if the people behind these protests etc see now they don't have national support and we could stop wasting scarce AGS resources on these 'peaceful' demonstrations and arson attacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I do enjoy your posts I’ve seen on here and I think you make some great points. I don’t know if I would take people not starting threads on an issue as proof that they don’t care though. Besides some people are only realising recently just how bad things are. I suppose uncontrolled mass immigration and men in tents on the streets of Dublin is bringing some of those issues to light

Now we have this :( https://www.rte.ie/news/europe/2024/0611/1454145-ecj-refugee-status/

"The European Court of Justice has ruled that refugee status may be granted to female asylum seekers who have, over time, adopted the values of equality between men and women in their EU host countries.

The ruling could have far-reaching implications for the granting of refugee status where female applicants in particular are at risk of persecution in their home countries."

Just which tail is wagging the dog here?? This could be devastating for the survival of European culture, flood EU states with any woman who claims persecution in their own country of birth, to then invite over their relatives and so on.

Someone will have to stop this rot.

I used to work in that area as well. Always used to think of Patrick Kavanagh, We may have to change the words of 'On Raglan Road soon' ……… there's a tradition in Irish music of giving new words to old tunes. After all Kavanagh put his words to the tune of Fáinne Geal an Lae -

'On Raglan Road, on a summer's day

I saw the tents and knew ……….'

Anybody care to finish the stanza?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Change will have to come from Europe, where a move to the right will drive change to the EU's immigration policy which was set up decades ago for a very different Europe.

The loss of seats for the European Green parties shows that people want Net Zero immigration not any other Net Zero..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Aw here we go — another session of shoving words into my mouth. Firstly, I don't think it's a "great idea" to have refugees / asylum seekers "rock up and get their papers". I've never said anything of the sort. It is simply the outcome of a global geopolitical reality that we have to find ways to manage and control as best we can — and most often is a pretty negative thing.

To your other point, I live in a tiny one bedroom flat with my girlfriend as we save up for a deposit. But I'm not going to hide behind that — even if I had the space I'd be very reluctant to take anyone into my home. But judging the integrity of people's views on other people by a measure of "would you take them into your own home" is a cynical moral threshold that practically nobody could consistently attain. I watch the Derek Blighe-types on Twitter asking people this as if it were the biggest hole-in-one 'GOTCHA!!' of all time. They don't of course apply this same moral integrity threshold to themselves as regards the people they claim to champion and be terribly concerned about — the young Irish people stuck in financial limbo or indeed the Irish people on the streets or in crap temporary lodgings somewhere.

Privacy and the quiet enjoyment of your property is a thing in life. If someone advocates compassion for the homeless, I'm not going to call them a hypocrite for simultaneously not wishing to take a random homeless person into their own home. So I don't know why you're throwing that moral standard at me as if I'm throwing it at anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭prunudo

Ah yes, you'd prefer people who you don't agree with to be out of sight, out of mind. But I hate to break it to you, these protesters do have support from around the nation. There are plenty of people on their side. Just because they're aren't in a majority, doesn't mean that their opinions or views should be brushed away.

Yah fair enough. But if an argument is consistently advanced that the state must live up to it's supposed international obligations and that we must accept anyone who arrives on our fair shores, then the proposers of that argument must accept the consequences and the challenges of how we accommodate, feed, employ, service, pay these people.

I've stated that I have self serving reasons why I'm opposed to the current situation and they are very good reasons. It affects us as a family and it has affected my business. Just like it has affected many voters who turned away from political parties who propose the laissez faire arguments you propose.

So if you or others are going to defend the government policies and actions, then it's up to you and others to give sensible solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Oh no, we are about to see an increase in Middle Eastern young lads who suddenly identify as female now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

Thats a good thing there isn't enough ladyboys in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LongfordMB

It's becoming more and more clear to me that the correct approach to all this is to process asylum seekers outside EU soil in a range of third countries, burn the boats of the human traffickers, and return any asylum seekers who do make it here to those safe third countries for processing.

Anyone who says we should deport is actually being too soft. We must know if they genuine refugees or not before they touch European soil, given the social and economic cost of their presence here. The key is to not have to deport anyone by going on the front foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I'd say if they've a phone and clothes that cost several months' rent of hard working people and they have a few grand to pay a trafficker - they're no more a genuine refugee than I am a Spitfire pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Now what do they think is going to happen when the next crash comes around? There will be more cuts and austerity but we won't have so much space to cut budgets, especially with the billions being spent on asylum seekers. Do you think people are going to be happy having their welfare, pensions cut, or tax increases while more and more asylum seekers are going to be coming in with their hands out?

I hope it doesn't happen, but think if it does, it's going to be extremely ugly.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

I'm quite happy for anybody to peacefully protest. I just think this might be a good time for the anti-immigration movement to reflect on their approach around rioting, assaulting gardai, vigilante road blocks, intimidation and arson.

I think it hasn't gone down well with the voters. It also looks a bit silly when you're all pretending to be concerned about security and shortages, yet take part in these protests, which are regularly dangerous and waste scarce Garda resources.

"you're all pretending to be concerned about security and shortages, yet take part in these protests"

Careful now, that could be libellous. I, for one, have never attended a protest of any kind in my life, nor have I assaulted or intimidated anyone, threatened them with physical violence or committed arson.

I am very keen on knitting though so you can call me Madame DeFarge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I agree.. voting for extremes and bringing US type left v right politics here is depressing . That is why centrist parties like FF and FG keep getting votes in Ireland . There is no appetite for drama in this country .

Many of these elected candidates in the locals and EP are voted for on a personal basis so people will vote for what affects them personally and candidates they know .

I don't think it can be classified as older , settled people vs younger, I and others of us have said we all have children/ young adults living at home, so all , young and old , have a vested interest in housing .

The difference is that not everybody feels that asylum seekers and refugees , while it is a poorly handled situation , is the reason our children are still living at home . Most older people can see this problem has been developing over the last 14 years and the hands off approach by consecutive housing ministers along with no priority being given to its solution by government has led us to this .

This is the main issue in the next GE and Simon Harris is very correct in noting that a good Locals and EP elections are not an indicator for a future GE . They cannot afford to be complacent . They will have to get the finger out now and try to pull off a pretty amazing turnaround somehow to affect change .

If anything the electorate's very firm rejection of the recent referendum shows the nuanced and maturity of the Irish people and has given this government a good reason to be nervous .

I think there's some decent points there but I'd argue, firstly that we don't have a 'free for all' approach to immigration. Certainly in terms of IPAs I think we have an approach which is quite centrist in it's origins and in why it's been retained. If you look around you'll see we're broadly similar to the rest of Europe.

I agree we need to look to why young people are moving to the far-right. I'd draw the line at admonishing people for being elitist and condescending towards them. Let's not forgot what far-right parties have historically done to their political opponent and other groups they disliked FFS.

I think lack of education around immigration is a big issue. I think too many drawn to the far-right get their ideas about immigration from that same far-right and the 'border control' TV shows.

I believe too that a lot of older centrist voters would love to do more on peoples struggles with housing (many will be struggling themselves) but feel just as helpless on the issue as those drawn to the far right.

"I think lack of education around immigration is a big issue."

That is the same old patronising Pat Paddy on the Head stuff. Same as uttered by our esteemed leaders in government, most of those in opposition and those who have skin in the game in terms of advocating for immigration.

There needs to be a real and genuine acceptance that many citizens have real and genuine cause for concern over the direction of our society. Not just flaccid lip service as in 'sure we know there are concerns but it's like this, yous don't really understand what we're doing and why blah blah etc etc'

There are many citizens who see & understand very well indeed. And who don't need to be patronised with claptrap.

When people are offering blantently incorrect ideas along the lines of 'we have a far-left free for all immigration system' I think it's fair to suggest they're poorly informed on the issue.

By all means challenge how our system works, and present alternatives, but there's nothing far-left or extreme about it. The origins of today's asylum systems lie in the practicalities of dealing with large amounts of refugees after ww2. It's largely centrist governments who've retained these systems, for lack of a better alternative, and I believe because they also serve a function of keeping people from living undocumented.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's not even a lack of education, it's the constant lying about it all. Asylum seekers will pay for our pensions, they don't put a strain on housing or other services, etc.

• Advertisement

And perhaps others need to reflect on their own biases and misconceptions. We are a sovereign state and like other every state have a basic right to control our borders and decide just who is allowed into the state and who should be refused entry. We work as a society to improve our own country and to support our own citizens who are in need of help in any way. We elect a government to spend our taxes wisely and for the benefit of Irish citizens.

Advertisement