Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hold my beer

And yet we've 2 teams in the Semi finals this weekend. We aren't disrespecting anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The frontline internationals would normally be back around this time anyway, so I wouldn't consider it early. I imagine the timing is done pretty much for that specific reason. Though I would wager the LvM game would normally be their first one back, they might be in a round early I guess.

Ultimately though, for me it doesn't depend on the results. I don't like that they are doing it. I'm aware it is an essentially emotional viewpoint, but it is essentially dragging a large chunk of players out of the provinces because the IRFU just don't think the games are that important. And I think that attitude stinks.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Players who are squad or just out of the academy

Players who in reality like the last time would at best maybe have a slot on a bench

You don't like the tour, I get that, but making up it is insulting the league is nonsense.

Well there was no EI tour this year for one. But that also doesn't really change anything.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Of course it's disrespectful to the league, this seems pretty obvious.

The IRFU would never, ever do this if a European game was scheduled, but they're more than happy to pull players away from league games.

It can be true that this tour benefits Ireland, and it can also be true that this tour is another sign that the IRFU care little for the league. Imagine the RFU or FRU tried to pull players out of GP / T14 games to go play Mickey Mouse games in SA. There would be uproar because they take their leagues very seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Yes but we restricted players game time like you said. Don't see an issue with an EI tour, the players will be missing for a few weeks, and not all of them will be 1st team players.

No, the frontline internationals in a non-RWC year typically didn't return before Weeks 6-7, whereas now the impacted weeks are weeks 2-4 of the URC season here, so that's definitely a little earlier than usual.

I posted this potential squad back when news first broke about it, and while there are some concentrations in certain positions that might be unlikely, this is the sort of calibre of player likely to go IMO:

I think based on that Ulster are probably worst affected (losing guys potentially like Wilson, Izuchukwu, Sheridan, McCann, etc), but will be interesting to see how it turns out as Ulster are in SA at broadly the same time as the EI tour. Happy to hear arguments for who else might be in the mix, but it doesn't look like it'll overly weaken Leinster or Munster IMO.

The teams some of the provinces put out those game weeks will likely be stronger than the teams they'd have put out without an EI tour.

This "disrespecting the league" thing just feels like the latest thing to complain about re the IRFU.

This "disrespecting the league" thing just feels like the latest thing to complain about re the IRFU.

It is not a new complaint, so I don't agree with your conclusion. The IRFU (and indeed the other unions) having a totally half-arsed view of the URC/ProWhatever has been a complaint for as long as I can remember.

No, the frontline internationals in a non-RWC year typically didn't return before Weeks 6-7, whereas now the impacted weeks are weeks 2-4 of the URC season here, so that's definitely a little earlier than usual.

The season has been shoved a bit later though. Round 6 is October 26th and the last week before the AI window. Pretty sure they'd be back well before then regardless.

The squad looks reasonable. Personally I'd rather Prendergast was establishing himself at Leinster, and I'm sure some Ulster supporters would think the same about Izzy and McCann. I think all 3 are likely to get capped at the least against Fiji anyway.

• Advertisement

And yet the competition has steadily gone from strength to strength, with the Irish sides always there at the business end of the season, and near the top of the attendances charts etc too.

I wish the Welsh, Scottish and Italians would disrespect the league as much as we do.

At least from my perspective I have very little else to complain about re the IRFU and I didn't like the EI tour the first time round either.

It absolutely objectively had successes and I think it massively contributed to Crowley being picked against Australia. I just wish everyone took the domestic league more seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I went through a few weeks ago seeing who you could pick that would still leave the provinces with strong XXIIIs to play in the URC:

Lh: Jack Boyle, Callum Reid, Temi Lasisi

H: Lee Barron, Eoghan Clarke, James McCormick

Th: Fiachna Barrett, Ronan Foxe, Darragh McSweeney

Sr: Jean Kleyn, Conor O’Tighearnaigh, Darragh Murray, Joe Hopes

Bs: Josh Murphy, Lorcan O’Loughlin

No. 8: James Culhane, James McNabney

Sh: Matthew Devine, Fintan Gunne, Colm Reilly

Oh: Sam Prendergast, Tony Butler

Lw: Aaron Sexton, Chay Mullins

Ic: Jude Postlethwaite, John Devine

Oc: Hugh Gavin, Hugh Cooney

Rw: Tommy O’Brien, Shane Jennings

Fb: Jack Kelly, Patrick Campbell

URC sides:

Leinster: 1. Michael Milne, 2. John McKee, 3. Thomas Clarkson, 4. Brian Deeny, 5. Alexis Soroka, 6. Diarmuid Mangan, 7. Will Connors, 8. Max Deegan, 9. Cormac Foley, 10. Ross Byrne/Harry Byrne, 11. Andrew Osborne, 12. Ben Brownlee, 13. Liam Turner, 14. Robert Russell, 15. Henry McErlean; 16. Gus McCarthy, 17. Paddy McCarthy, 18. Rory McGuire, 19. Martin Moloney, 20. Scott Penny, 21. Luke McGrath, 22. Charlie Tector, 23. Aitzol Arenzana-King

Munster: 1. Loughman/Wycherley, 2. Scannell, 3. Ryan, 4. Wycherley, 5. Evan O’Connell, 6. O’Donoghue, 7. Hodnett, 8. Coombes, 9. Patterson, 10. Burns, 11. Daly, 12. Nankivell, 13. Farrell, 14. Kilgallen, 15. Haley; 16. Barron, 17. Wycherley/Kieran Ryan/Mark Donnelly, 18. Archer/Salanoa, 19. Hurley, 20. Kendellen, 21. Coughlan, 22. Scannell, 23. Sean O’Brien

Connact: 1. Buckley, 2. Heffernan, 3. Aungier, 4. Joyce, 5. Niall Murray, 6. Prendergast, 7. Oliver, 8. O’Brien, 9. Blade, 10. Carty, 11. Smith, 12. Forde, 13. O’Conor; 14. Bolton, 15. Cordero; 16. Tierney-Martin, 17. Dooley, 18. Illo, 19. Dowling, 20. Jansen, 21. Ben Murphy, 22. Hawkshaw, 23. Ralston

Ulster: 1. Warwick, 2. Stewart. 3. Wilson, 4. Sheridan, 5. Treadwell, 6. Izuchukwu, 7. Rea, 8. McCann, 9. Cooney, 10. Flannery, 11. Lowry, 12. Moore, 13. Baloucoune, 14. Kok, 15. McIlroy; 16. Andrew, 17. O’Sullivan, 18. Moore, 19. O’Connor, 20. Rea, 21. Doak, 22. Humphreys, 23. Moxham

But if internationals might be back for the URC that could change the equation quite a bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Players who in reality like the last time would at best maybe have a slot on a bench

This is simply untrue. Just for Munster alone, there were lots of players selected last time who were in and around our start 15/23.

And yet the competition has steadily gone from strength to strength

This is some serious re-writing of history. The league was an absolute joke for years. They have made balls ups with sponsorships (let's not forget they had to go an entire season without a sponsor as nobody thought their product was worth giving money to), they have made balls ups with tv deals.

The league was pulled up out of a mire by the arrival of the South African teams (the 4 current ones, not the 2 crap ones that they brought on board initially) who injected some desperately needed quality but also money into the competition.

While it is not as bad as it was 4 or 5 years ago, it still has some half-arsed-ness about it. We still get players pulled out of league games for emerging tours. We still have unions scheduling test matches outside of test windows and pulling players out of league games. We still have nonsensical referee selections, Irish refs in Irish derbies, Munster refs in Munster games.

Strength to strength is quite the mental gymnastics.

Happy to hear arguments for who else might be in the mix, but it doesn't look like it'll overly weaken Leinster or Munster IMO.

Even then it'll depend on injuries. Munster notionally had Conway and Earls back but both were injured while Nash and Daly were on the EI tour.

Then, iirc, Haley was injured and Zebo (and Liam Coombes) got injured.

It left us with Carbery at FB and 2 academy wingers. In total, I think our entire back 3 had ~2 starts in their respective positions for Munster.

Maybe that was an outlier of injuries concentrated in one position/area, but it's always a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Yes, and you can probably figure on about 20% of your players being injured at any one time. I'm plucking that figure out of thin air to some extent, but also I seem to remember reading it somewhere.

But anyway it seems the international players will be filtering back in by then if the tour's in October rather than September. If Leinster have Porter back, for example, both Boyle and Paddy McCarthy could feature for the EI side without it overly weakening Leinster.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,466 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It overlooks Leinster having Snyman and connacht having hurley Langton as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If we're serious about developing depth for the national team, then we have to try something different and this is a good way to do it. It's absolutely better than a random Wolfhounds game when the team meets up in the car park an hour before the game and no-one learns anything.

Is it a reasonable trade-off to weaken the provinces for a couple of URC games? If it increases our prospects at the next RWC, even marginally, then it's not even a question in my mind.

But does it weaken them? Looking back at the teams selected during the last EI tour, they were all pretty strong - am I missing something? What's the actual complaint?

And even if they are weaker - you could also look at the EI tour as giving more opportunities to the next tier of provincial players too. Is that a bad thing?

• Advertisement

If it was a European game the chances of the squad playing would be less 😂

Seriously lads, you complain the IRFU don't change things, you complain when they don't.

None of the players that went on that tour or the tour itself affected any of the provinces and how they finished up at the end of the season

All the rest of this is just noise from supporters who no matter what the IRFU do will still complain. If they do a tour next time and pick no Ulster players, you will be on crying about bias. It's a no win so IRFU should plough on

None of the players that went on that tour or the tour itself affected any of the provinces and how they finished up at the end of the season

Munster lost 5 of their first 7 matches last season and I 100% think the EI tour had a part to play in that. That they came back to win the tournament is testament to the province and coaching (and some luck) but it doesn't override the impact it had.

Playing the EI tour during a European window would in some ways make more sense, except they would never do it because of the slim possibility the provinces would need to rely on these players. But they don't care about the URC.

Is it a reasonable trade-off to weaken the provinces for a couple of URC games?

I think this is a fair question (no is my answer obviously) but I don't think it is fair to suggest they weren't weakened. Apart from anything else it creates massive disruption in the training and preparation.

I lament the loss of the full 6N A Championship, and in an ideal world that would be a better avenue but that's not something the IRFU can conjure up on their own. I think claiming it gives the next tier an opportunity is stretching to minimise the impact.

Ultimately this will always come down to squad selection. I dislike the concept but depending on who is selected the impact is variable.

Does anyone really think we'll have Snyman at the start of the URC after he inevitably plays in the RC?

It had nothing to do with the EI tour and Munster start to the season. They also won the league so it had zero affect on Munster season

In fact you could argue the time given to Crowley at 10 propelled him into the team post the EI tour

If you lads think the EI tour is such an insult to the league, you must have been mighty upset when the B&I cup ran for years.

Oh yeah nothing was ever mentioned about that.

Almost like it was a completely different concept for fringe players who were not making the provincial squads to get gametime as opposed to potential members of the 23 being taken away by the Irish coaching staff to play nonsense games in South Africa. It is a completely ridiculous comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

We were told last year (?) that the URC would not run during the international window, then the IRFU go ahead and plan an international match outside that window and an EI Tour to SA.

Why sign up to the agreement of URC games not clashing with International games and then go ahead and organise other games that clashes with the league.

yes it ran all season and wasn’t fridge players not making the squad, it was used for academy players and players in and around the squad to get minute instead of sitting on bench

like the EI tour

The only nonsense is the reaction of a few fans who come end of season still can’t admit it made no affect to their own provinces and improved Ireland squad

The Provincial coaches chose who played there based on players they didn't want in their first choice teams. It could not be less relevant to an EI tour which is a top down selection approach. It is meaningless and I don't know why you are trying to conflate them.

You are fighting against arguments I am not making and casting rather broad aspersions to do so.

They also won the league so it had zero affect on Munster season

This is a completely bizarre take and not at all how impact on a season can be measured. The fact that Munster won the league does not mean that them losing players at the start of the season affected them in no way whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

There's nonsense is this post too so it's not confined to any unique set of fans

Advertisement