Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭3d4life

Why cant this make a comeback here too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

My partner is away for a week, so I've a good run of "just cooking for myself" which means I can do what I want! I've a few things that I usually do when she is away (she is not a fan of grains, pulses or beans) but I'm open to suggestions for something more out there. Something new sounding or whatever - I realise what's new for some people might not be for others obviously. But still.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Love salsa💓, but cant tolerate peppers of any kind, any salsa recipes that don't have peppers in?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Cassoulet as fancy option or a sausage and bean stew as a simpler option? Handy batch cooking options as I can find hard motivate myself to cook from scratch everyday when it's just myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yeah sure! You could use other ingredients like corn or mango; salsa is a versatile concept.

I've been getting into Japanese food recently, particularly miso.

I think the miso has helped rebalance my gut, as I've been very sick with gastro issues recently.

Clearspring chickpea miso has been the one I've been using, it's a great flavour bomb for soups. I can see it working in a tomato based pasta sauce too.

Must check out different miso brands now, I'm hooked. Interesting stuff!

EDIT: I just bought some Hikari red miso.

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

Thanks, I forgot about that. What do you suggest to recreate a bell pepper type flavour that isnt a bell pepper?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Your average salsa doesn't have a bell pepper type flavour.

Tomatoes, onions, garlic, lime juice and coriander (and chillies, if allowed) would be the bones of most salsas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its great for your guts. I just put it into a mug with water and drink it like tea.

Miso is a superfood

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/why-miso-is-healthy

• Advertisement

I'm making some homemade ramen right now with vegetables, chicken, shiitake (dried), broth and stock, and it tastes damn good so far.

I love these things!

Why bother with those bland white button mushrooms from the supermarket? You're paying for water.

Has anyone seen non-wheat cereals in shops? Her allergies mean she cant eat white rice or any type of wheat cereals.

Her usual cereal is too expensive now for what it is.

Perhaps you might try a health store like Holland & Barret? There should be plenty of options, although I'm not sure how cheap they might be.

EDIT: Actually, yeah, H&B sells these:

Porridge? That's oats, not wheat.

Or are Oatabix still a thing? Basically Weetabix, only made with oats instead of wheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Can she have buckwheat flakes? Had them from Tesco and SuperValu before.

Or chia seeds? Can be made into a pudding with plant milk or regular milk.

And what about cornflakes?

Sadly none of these, she's been doing well on the oatabix but they are too expensive now and we looking for alternatives(oat based as we know that works for now)

Meant to be a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

So I picked up some of this. Not used it before. Going to try it in a whiskey sour tonight, but more food wise, what do people recommend including it with?

Will do a mac and cheese at some point no doubt. Open to suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is this the stuff that's getting banned? No point developing a taste for it now… 😁

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement

I haven't tried that brand, just Colgins. But it is very potent. Use by the drop until you get the right amount of smokiness. I've added it to bean chilli dishes etc.

I think these ones are all natural @Hotblack Desiato

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

One of the downsides of renting is not getting to pick your own large appliances. We recently got a new gas cooker and I absolutely hate it. I can't trust the hob burners at all. The oven burner is on the middle of the oven floor instead of the back and I'm finding it so difficult to figure out cooking times, all I know is that everything takes longer.

And even though it's supposed to be the same size as the old one, none of my roasting trays or oven sheets fit. So I'm going to have buy all new ones.

I'm literally avoiding using it at the moment.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Yeah, we recently moved to an apartment with a gas hob connected to mains gas - the old house had bottled. Even the smallest burner on its lowest setting is way too hot, so we're struggling to adapt our time-tested recipes for things as simple as cooking rice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Delia Smith’s Spiced Red Cabbage. I’ll freeze it in jamjars. Yes……it ain’t Christmas 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

So I was listening to Pat Kenny a while ago it was mentioned that Electric BBQs are the most eco-friendly BBQ. Plus it doubles as an Airfryer that you keep in the garden. (Haven’t used that yet).

Aldi have Wagyu steaks on special this week. Forgot to take pic while cooking….

I wonder should we create another category? 😉

^^^ Oh, to have a garden… :(

But on a very different topic, I bought some nooch recently, which I used as a soup topping, and it has reminded me of how good this food product is.

I love the umami cheesy hit from it (without the sodium bomb); obviously loved by vegans too for that reason as well as the fortified vitamin B12, and the nutritional qualities are also impressive.

It's good stuff to have in the cupboard! 👍️

(I'm using the hashtags below in in attempt to help with Boards' abysmal search engine.)

#nooch #nutritionalyeast #vegan #umami

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

I can't say I've ever really got the whole "cheesy hit" thing from brewers yeast. If you're not actually vegan would you not just throw a sprinkle of parmesan on your soup and get an actual taste of cheese instead? Or throw a parmesan rind into the pot of soup? I throw them in the freezer when the cheese is gone for that very purpose.

• Advertisement

I do that too. But it's interesting to have something different. Also a lot of health benefits from yeast.

Advertisement