Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The decline of SF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I don't understand why immigration is such a big deal to people.

It really doesn't affect people's lives.

What really matters is the economy, housing, health, education, jobs, infrastructure, transport, cost of living etc..

Although to be fair the influx of Ukrainians probably put a strain on some of the above resources, but we had no choice but to accept them and I actually think demographically they'll benefit us in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

If I had a chance at a 180k salary plus driver plus various committee junkets I'd go in with any party.

Look at Des o malley or Dick spring

However FG and FF will go back together with perhaps Greens and SDP

The increase in independent support makes this more likely as a lot of them lean right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Since the dawn of time it's been them vs us. We are still trying to get our head around Northern protestants 400 years later for FS

A lot of people uneasy about the cultural change that's occurred.

The refufgee issue. Nobody takes that **** of a guy who skips 30 nations claiming to be a refugee

However you are right it's the 3rd most important issue after housing and health

But 3rd is still 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

In a general election under Varadkar six months ago, that would have been the outcome. Things are different now.

Sinn Fein have been exposed as the Emperor with no clothes when it comes to policies. The people will be looking for this so-called "change" and they will see nothing.

Laughable ideas on 300k houses in Dublin while their former councillor is selling his for 800k.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This . Nail on the head .

Although I don't think they can be written off yet as locals and EP elections very different from GE .

This was personal votes and for community issues where the GE will have a larger turnout with people voting more on policies .

Simon making a good fist of turning things around but they have all but thrown GP to the sidelines . Don't think even a giveaway budget will save them from a drubbing but they will have to court a new smaller party to join them in coalition .

Wonder who that might be ?

Party of Independents ?

On the subject of MaryLou she is unlikely to get ditched for Pearse "haven't got the sums" Doherty who lets face it is their elections guy so presumably was behind the disastrous running of so many extra candidates that split their already split vote .

Interesting times ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,634 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Two parties are hurting from being in coalition - FF and the Greens.

If SF perform in a GE it will come down to how much either FF and the Greens (not so much them as they won't have MEPs or many TDs) want to stop the rot and change direction.

When the dust settles the fact is the FF and FG share of the vote is still in decline, in GE's and LE's. The only thing that has declined for SF is their opinion poll position. They look like they have added an MEP and they have increased their LE vote share, all on a bad day for them.

You would assume they'd have data analysts for political strategy but it seems not.

Is Pearse Doherty known for being bad with figures?

I see no talent or competence in SF.

Proposing €300,000 houses is like something a 10 year old would say.

Literally no understanding of the wider economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭squonk

O’Broin mentioned several times he was an author. Given how arrogant he is I assumed he had done some research on housing and it was the subject of one of his published works. Nope, just books on lefty bollixology. My dog is as qualified to formulate housing policy as Eoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

He often states in the Dáil that he requested figures but couldn't " get them " to use for his projections .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

He is an author of a book that nobody has read, even the SF supporters who constantly say he is an author.

Eoin would destroy all housing in the space of 6 months if he was in charge, he is another one of the most incompetent TD's in SF, sitting behind Mary Lou in the Dail shouting when it's not his turn to talk seems to be his show piece, after that it crumbles to pieces

• Advertisement

‘Sone people’ think SF are in government and caused the decade long record breaking housing crsis and cannot seem to solve it or don’t want to solve it.

More critical of those who have no power than those who do. Some people!

Nobody thinks SF are in government

Everyone knows now that SF are a huge part of the problem with housing

When a FG member was caught taking brides to remove planning objection, they got removed from the party and will never be in it again

When SF run a campaign for years to block housing for political gain they reward the politicians

SF are so incompetent they don't even realise how this looks

Change 😂

https://www.independent.ie/news/mary-lou-mcdonald-among-objectors-to-1600-apartment-build-to-rent-development-in-her-dublin-constituency/40802647.html

😁😁 why would they not be back in the party? Didn’t they let the lad who was bullying back in and look to Lowry for support when in bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

We shall see - I expect the issue of FGs length of tenure is going to be a substantial issue come what may. To put it in context, one of our children was becoming a teenager in 2011, asking questions about the election and commented at the time that all they'd ever known since birth was a Fianna Fáil government. All they've known since is Fine Gael governments and now in their late 20s.

Put it like that and you can be quite sure, many will conclude FGs time is up and that's that.

Our economy is the envy of most countries in the world.

FG created that.

Obviously things aren't perfect and certain things could be better but we're top 10 globally in so many factors from education to life expectancy etc..

boom

quick look over at that

Does the playbook ever change

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

But with SF having gone rabidly pro immigration…. Which has backfired on them big time, they would only make things worse. Far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The majoroty of folks in the country are still doing very well financially/socially etc.

There are unhappy people whom would like to see change, but overall, they would appear to still be a minority.

For every person that deicdes that FGs time is up, there are another 2 or 3 that are happy with the status quo & want FFG to remain in power.

You only need to look at the local elections to see that.

FG have more first preference votes than SF, the Greens, Labour and the Soc Dems put together.

• Advertisement

Yes, little old Ireland made the entire World change their corporate tax rules, backed of course by a paddy whackery US President

I think anyone that's already bought a house and has a decent career is happy with the status quo.

Particularly when the leader of SF says house prices will be €300,000.

If you look at a population pyramid, there's a bulge of people over 35.

The majority of these people have settled down and bought a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭techman1

Mary lou mcdonald doesn't have the energy or enthusiasm anymore to be leader, she can't match Simon Harris or Michael Martin, politics is a tough game , I think she will be doing a varadker on it soon enough and retiring

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Gary_dunne

100%, the vast majority under the age of 35 are clearly not happy with the status quo. I'd assume most here who are saying "things are fine" are homeowners.

The 300k Dublin houses was not the wisest of statements and I'd like to think MMLD's roll back last week was actually a clarification that this should be the "affordable housing" cost.

"Affordable housing" under the current model would cost myself and my partner (on decent wages) 415k in Swords with the Government having a 10% stake in it (not First Home Scheme). This surely cannot be seen as suitable "affordable housing".

Is anyone posting "things are fine"?

Anyone I seen is posting we have issues but it would be a lot worse under SF.

The majoroty of folks in the country are still doing very well financially/socially etc.

There are unhappy people whom would like to see change, but overall, they would appear to still be a minority.

For every person that decides that FGs time is up, there are another 2 or 3 that are happy with the status quo & want FFG to remain in power.

If the majority are happy with the status quo as stated above (2/3) then yes a lot of people would appear to think that things are fine.

They will try and scaremonger you into accepting that only they can run the country. Everyone else will 'ruin' the country they will say, ignoring the fact that the country was 'ruined' in living memory by some of the people STILL in government. The arrogance of power in operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Exactly.

Home ownership is 70% in Ireland, very slightly about the european average.

Most people here have a good standard of living and the employment opportunities in Ireland, and especially Dublin, are world class.

There are problems, yes. But there are a lot of positives and there are a lot of people that are doing very well.

Household wealth has doubled over the last decade and stands at over a trillion euro. Thats some figure for a population of 5.3 or 5.4 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I think the polls saying SF had > 30% support caused SF to completely lost the run of themselves. There was never > 30% support for them, they had their base plus some extras who genuinely believed they could be an alternative to the current coalition and then there was the "angry anything but FFG" protest vote who didn't give a damn about actual SF policies.

I feel that if they stuck to their guns and kept hammering away on health and housing they'd still have low to mid 20's% support which is pretty respectable. Instead, they tried to please everybody and ended up looking like a complete rabble.

• Advertisement

This is where as stated earlier it all comes back to the Us vs Them, "Haves vs the Have nots" human mentality.

I'm not going to assume that 70% of people are completely happy with the status quo as there's probably a decent % that have adult children living at home with them that they wish could have their own place but there's a lot more home owners voting for the status quo than renters/people living at home.

Advertisement