Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smashing Pumpkins and Weezer, Three Arena, 10th June 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Got a couple of resale tickets for this concert the other day. Really went to see Weezer, and Smashing Pumpkins were a bonus for me. Was about 100 quid per ticket and less when you deduct the Ticketmaster shenanigans. Excellent value as ...

Weezer were brilliant. Great set of songs. Really underated band. Didn't know what to expect from SP. Was expecting them to be pretentious, overrated ... But they were brilliant too. Definitely got them on a good night. Didn't need to hear Zoo Station though.

We were centre left of stage near the front and the sound was excellent except too loud. Glad I had some cheap foam ear plugs to turn that down for periods.

You really can't beat standing. If people are annoying you, you can move. Except I was literally standing/walking from 6pm to 11:30 pm. So, lots of good leg exercise thrown in too. 🤣 There are much less distractions and a much better atmosphere. There were a load of "young" people 🤣 who were definitely not there with their parents and we're really into it. Wide spread of ages to be honest.

Fantastic night in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭crl84

Would agree with what most people have said: both bands really strong,kids on stage was cringe, poundshop Stevie Nicks was surplus to requirements mostly.

Would disagree about no need for Kiki though, or at least having 3 guitarists on most songs. I really enjoy the beefed up guitar sound, sometimes in a live setting only having two guitarists onstage with one doing lead vocals can sound too weak.

One of my favourite SP songs last night was Birch Grove. Not familiar with the newer albums but thought that was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

low budget show for SP? no stage set, lightshow etc,

the lacks of side screens and camera people, feel sorry for short people in the standing crowd

I should have brought a seat ticket for a better view…

Most people are seeing her 2 inches tall, has she done any tv performances?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Jeez this thread is whiny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,917 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭HBC08

It was a accident waiting to happen.

I had been to both Blur and Oasis in the 6 months before that at the Old Point,they were two of the best gigs of my life but were very dangerous.

There was no control of people with seated tickets coming downstairs to the standing area,that's how a crush and dangerous situations happened there.

Even as a reckless,stupid kid I could see and feel it was out of control.I remember particularly at Oasis my feet being lifted off the ground and just no control of anything.

…ooh here's a popular song let me hold my phone up to block the view of people behind me…

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

For once was an advantage last night for me , person in front had a decent zoom and managed to give me a better view of the stage looking at his screen, usually it wrecks my head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Rfrip

it lived up to my expectations! God I thought it was great..as another poster said, worth it for mayonaise alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Not a huge SP fan, but was Mayonaise the song Billy and James did that intro on, Billy saying "this young man brought me this riff, and we wrote this song...."?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

That was class alright. The more I think about the concert, the more I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭Fanirish

crowd control existed a teenage Steward who might ask you to show your ticket stub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,590 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thought it was a good gig - very good in places - but, if I am being entirely honest, I didn't find it to be excellent. But, if other people did, then that's great!

Thought Weezer did great. Played banger after banger, were as tight as a drum and the sound was on point.

I thought the Pumpkins were a bit uneven. Whenever they played the older material - which was tbf about two thirds of their set - it was great, but I thought the "newer" stuff was awfully dull in comparison, not that I don't expect them to play a good bit of it on the album supporting tour.

The band still sounds great, don't really know why people are complaining about having a few extra people on stage to flesh out some of the songs.

I thought the crowd was, if I'm being nitpicky, a bit flat. Not that people weren't into it, but even down at the very, very front there wasn't an absolutely unreal atmosphere - I thought there'd be more die hard fandom on display and things only really got going with Cherub Rock & Zero right at the end.

I don't know how I feel about the lack of screens etc. I have seen acts in the arena without them, but the majority of acts seem to bring more of a visual show with them these days than the two acts brought last night. You kinda become accustomed to expecting a visual element in an arena show, that maybe felt a bit conspicuous by its absence last night. I understand the argument that maybe it encourages people to focus more on the performance and the music and maybe it kept the price of the tickets down a bit too - but I think if you're not that close to the stage or aren't the tallest you often may have no view of the band at a big show like this if there's no visual reference… just my two cents.

As much as I'm complaining, it was still absolutely worth going to. Two legendary bands on the same bill on the same night, overall, yes, quite good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Interesting point about crowd - i was looking at the standing section during Bullet and expected it to go wild but while buzzing it definitely wasnt a wild at any point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Great gig, Weezer were decent but I was there for the Pumpkins, Billy was in top form and Jimmy must have done 3 or 4 drum solos.

On the lack of screens, I'm 5"9 and it was just about OK for me, wife is 5"1 and could barely see anything. I can see why people would have a gripe with no screens in this day and age but the sound and bands were great

Was close to the front. A few people moshing but very tame. I was surprised. Was even a guy near me with 2 drinks, 1 in each hand for all of SP. Thought he was looking for someone to give 1 drink to earlier. But no, he still had them later. 😁 So, it was very relaxed.

Just comparing the sound to some snippets recorded on my phone Vs music videos and the vocals and music was way better live last night on my phone from both bands 😁. Weezer Pork and Beans, SP Disarm for example were incredible live.

I must say, Weezer were just on form last night right through their set. Load of bangers. And when they finished up, Rivers Cuomo reminded me of Kermit the frog on the Muppet Show with his mouth wide open in delight. And then they were gone. Delighted to have seen them indoors and in such good form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The guy with 2 drinks easily could have been me! if this was on the very right hand side haha certainly for about 45 minutes or so had to meet friends up there and didn't really want to miss anything as much as possible they cost 8 quid each (I know) for anyone else? of course not!!

Weezer watched from the middle had never caught before first 3 maybe 4 songs were dicey but moved slightly and the rest of set was pretty enjoyable particularly the likes of Pork n Beans,the Hole cover,Hash pipe and Only in Dreams.

SP the highs were bigger and as a disjointed a set as it might have appeared wasn't so like Wembley in 2019 but I guess they played for 3 hours then, one for diehards but even so they finished with a cover of the song from Dumbo on that occasion ffs lol.

Anyway great night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭n1st

Great night.

Weezer were on fire alright, I'm not big fan but some of the tunes were outstanding.

SP were very good. I'm really only into the old stuff which were superb. I didn't notice no lightshow as I was so close I suppose.

Very relaxed show. Very few diehards I could see. Up the front most people seemed not to care, a lot of young people I thought, maybe it was just another gig for them. I saw and heard people complaining about the nursery mosh pit behind, I guess real life is different to Instagram and ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Count Hairyfoot

It was a very young crowd that night too. They're strict on the u14 or u16 must be accompanied by an adult now but then all it needed was for 1 person in the group to look over 14 and everyone got waved through.

The brilliant thing about Weezer is that they didn't feel like a support act or warm up. That was a fear of mine, that they'd be some kind of damp squib. They came on and powered though a load of songs. In fact it seemed like a completely separate show to Smashing Pumpkins. They even had the W in the background to distinguish themselves. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,590 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Speaking of James Iha

Would love to see A Perfect Circle play here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I wasn't surprised about the crowd. It's a band whose commercial peak was thirty years ago. Most people aren't necessarily going to behave like they did in the SFX in 1995. Certainly not too old for rock and roll, but clearly happy to avoid moshing.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭pah

Weezer were tight as ****. The sound quality for both was amazing. I stood and closed my eyes and smiled for the entirety of mayonaise and just took it all in. Fantastic show ❤️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,590 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Just got bad news about a family member

Tonight Tonight feels very special to me now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Funnily enough, I'm just watching an upload the Sweater Song on Youtube from the floor and it sounds great. I was up in block E and the vocals for Weezer were horrible. Completely muddy. I'd a friend in C and they said it sounded okay. It seems the 3Arena is really place sensitive. Corgan sounded okay, but then again, I know he favours having cabs under the stage to enhance separation. Or maybe they were working on it.

Sound complaints aside, it was a great show. Had the fear when I saw the backup vocalist and thought maybe Corgan's voice was shot and she was running cover. But no. He seemed unusually engaged. I'm crediting his kids. Was reading a piece afterwards where he stated he didn't want to be some old past it rocker in their eyes.

Was Kiki rocking a Cobalt burst PRS 24 at certain points?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

I presume so, it's no coincidence when bands take on a new touring member and they happen to be attractive women who dress provocatively . Mercury Rev and Desire have done it recently also with new members Marion and Louise. New members who usually wear latex on stage.

I'm not complaining but they know what they are doing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

But I've seen several 'older' bands recently who's hey day was 30 years ago and there was loads of ould lads moshing at them. Most recently Kerbdog and Therapy?

Ironically it's the oulder lads moshing i never seen the modern kids (anyone under 25) moshing. They don't know what they are missing!

Advertisement