Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

If he’s got his eye on bigger roles than he’s going about it in a terrible way. Robbie Keane would have a much higher profile in Europe because he went way out of his comfort zone and coaching in a far flung league he knew nothing about and won the league.

Keane will have a pick of southern European league jobs now.

Duff is in a league that has never produced a high profile manager in its entire existence so his great job at shels will not carry near as much weight as winning a league in Israel.

I think duff is fine with that, I don’t think he has any interest in uprooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective there. First thing for anyone with common sense in any profession, is to actually learn it. I think a big problem a lot of high profile ex-players have had is that they've (quite arrogantly) jumped into management as high up as they can to start, and all but killed their careers early when they unsurprisingly weren't good enough because they simply didn't know what they were doing yet. Duff looks happier to have taken a job in a place he's happy, where he'll have time to actually learn to be a manager first.

He's 45. He's got decades of this yet. There's many routes to the top, and where Duff differs from the others you say never made careers after LOI (Sam Allardyce might disagree with you), Damien Duff is Damien Duff. By default, he's an easier hire when he's ready.

but he’s not sitting at home doing nothing is he? And by doing something rather than nothing you think he’s unambitious.

Any wealthy ex-pro that's out putting serious effort into a job they don't need to be doing, and giving their all to prove themselves with whatever opportunities they get is showing ambition. Robbie Keane has shown ambition. Duff has shown ambition. O'Shea has shown ambition.

There is no indication he is after a bigger job. None whatsoever. All signs are completely to the opposite. Not only is he at pains to emphasize how happy he is at shels but also freely admits he wouldn’t want to move. And being at the LOI is a terrible league for an ambitious manager so your hypothesis just doesn’t add up to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

AsI've said, I thought he'd be able to get a managers job somewhere in Ireland or the UK but I also accept I could be wrong on that one and you seem to think I am so fair enough. Again, if is only two options are sitting at home or the interim job I don't think he's lacking ambition by taking the interim job.

he doesn’t want a job in Ireland..sure he’d walk into an Irish club job. As for a job in a league one: seems a realistic ambition to me. We’ll wait till he’s out of work again and see where he ends up

As I said, there's absolutely no need for him to be pushing for bigger jobs now, there's a lot to be said for learning your craft in the one place if you feel its a good spot for you. And nothing to be gained talking publicly about other jobs, beyond undermining the mythos of passion he's built up. I have far more respect for someone that takes on a job, and pushes themselves to do that job to the very best of their ability, rather than to just go chasing the 'title' of the next shiny thing. Klopp for instance - could've jumped ship any number of times in his 7 years at Mainz, and again in his 7 years at Dortmund. Was he unambitious? I don't think so… and his method made him inarguably one of the top managers in the world.

It just feels so weirdly negative to try to push down and belittle someone who has single handedly elevated interest in their league, and who so clearly works their absolute balls off. With our young talent no longer able to flee to the UK as children, it's a particularly interesting time to be managing in Ireland too - something he's talked about himself at length.

As long as someone is giving their all to improve themselves in their role, which he clearly is, that's a pretty clear sign of ambition to me. Everything else will, or will not, come with time. Marathon, not a sprint, and all that.

Reproducing a man’s press interviews back to a thread is being “weirdly negative” about him. Look, I think duff is great for the league and he’s honest and unique within football by not being ambitious and…that’s it really.

His most recent interview with Sadlier when talking about hte future I would say was at most 'nebulous'. Vague comments about being happy, and not thinking about the future, rather than any sort of firm committment to stay put forever. Given the image and aura of 'Mr Shels' he's cultivated, that also felt the right line to take.

Era, obviously we see him quite differently anyway, from him saying he feels he was born to be a manager rather than to be a player, and the sheer volume of time and effort and heart he puts into it…. I'd find it hard to call anyone who works that hard unambitious.

• Advertisement

fair enough, my main issue was Oshea being called unambitious compared to duff which doesn’t add up to me and you didn’t say it. Duff is having a great time at shels and he’s hugely ambitious for them but ambitious for himself I don’t see it but could be wrong. The other thing that triggered me was Oshea only wanting to be Irish manager and not interested in other positions which again wasn’t your point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

It's by the bye, but off the top of my head there's been multiple international managers that have worked their way up through the LOI. (England, Rep of Ireland x2 and N. Ireland x2). I'm sure I'm missing someone obvious.

With management jobs being more and more difficult to actually secure, I think the LOI is going to become hugely important to future Irish coaches too, we only have 32 senior jobs here (including the WNL) and about 11 are full time. It's a very competitive market with ex Ireland internationals having applied for and not gotten jobs here in recent years.

I do think it's an excellent place for coaches to learn the ropes.

Of Keane, O' Shea and Duff, I think Duffer is by far and away the strongest candidate, with the most coaching experience at various levels but his unwillingness to leave the country, (which is fair, It's nice to see him put his family first) and ropey relationship with the FAI will likely see him stay at Shels for a while yet, and I hope he does honestly, he's been great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

New white away jersey launched ahead of our Nations League campaign against England, Greece and Finland.

Pretty much sums up the FAI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Under 21s go one up against England U20s. Joe Hodge after 3 mint

Finished 2 - 2. Good result for the lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

.........…..............Kelleher

............O'Brien O'Shea Scales

Coleman Smallbone Cullen Brady

.................Parrott Idah Szmodics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

How is robbie Brady starting, ridiculous decision and I hope JOS is not in the managers seat in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I just get a feeling O’Shea will get the job permanent no matter what after this match today.

That win against Hungary was a nothing victory. Pure and utter pox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Can see them doing similar as Gleeson and leaving him in charge for the Nation's League campaign before making a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

If he gets it , then it makes a total and unequivocal farce of what has been a shambolic recruitment process.

It will all end in tears, another novice manager and more wasted years of missing out on potential tournaments.

• Advertisement

McClean a bit of a tough listen on the RTE coverage. His first time doing punditry to be fair though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

James Mc Clean in the studio and being asked if he would tog out for Ireland again if approached.

Surely we need to be looking to the future rather than harking back to the past.

If O’Shea gets the job full time we might end up with one of the oldest teams in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭fran38

McClean being put on the spot by being asked if JOS is suitable for the job. Noticable few seconds of silence before McC answers shur why not? Saying as well that Gaurdiola wasnt experienced either when he took over Barca. Old pals act yada yada..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Decent XI, but would prefer if we reverted back to back 4 soon. LWB is a major weakness for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The only surprise is it took 18 minutes for Portugal to score. It's been coming. Good finish, but shocking marking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Eire boys playing like weak dweebs who’ve just met

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

Brady getting schooled on the left side tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Bar that horrendous defending at the corner kick for their goal it’s not been a bad performance so far.

• Advertisement

Idah should have hit the target there at least from only a few yards out.

We've 3 forwards on the pitch but we haven't had any possession in Portugal's half. It's all been defensive shape.

Portugal have had 4 or 5 excellent chances. We're lucky it's only 1-0. Though the game has gone into a bit of a lull for the last while.

Szmodics is a player that some on here have been bleating about a bit. He looks bang average here. End of season game to be fair to him, but he’s been particularly poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

Some one tell Ronaldo it's a friendly.

• Advertisement

Smallbone playing well

In fairness, we’ve had the pundits and also Tony O’Donoghue saying ‘this is more than a friendly’ as far as Ireland are concerned (which is kinda BS). But if that’s the case shouldn’t Ronaldo treat it the same way?

Jason knight for Szmodics looks a no brainer. Idah just doesn’t have it. Throw in Tom cannon around 60 for him. Rest of the team is functioning ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Scales is an accident waiting to happen on the ball. He's like a slightly less headless McShane reincarnation.

Brady has been appalling, we shouldn't have to suffer seeing him in future games, offers nothing.

O'Brien doing ok, Coleman too. Kelleher keeping the score down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

We could do with some lads having the same football mentality as him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Sammy has been poor alright, don't know if that tap he took earlier in game is still there but he's touch has been off. We are half hearted pressing as well up front. Playing 3 in midfield against their midfield - wow. Had to check half way through to see if Parrott was still on the pitch.

Jota on, he will be on the score sheet soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Thinks he’s playing in the pay the ref league moaning, will be in for a land in the euros where refs won’t put up with his play acting

Off the top of my head I can remember Ronaldo hitting the post, Fernandes hitting the side netting and Kellegher stretching out a leg to deny Joao Felix. And the goal of course.

Ronaldo scores

Break a leg...as they say in theatre terms

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭athlone99

This was the first time ever, I would take an Ireland hammering if it meant the FAI couldn't make a soft/cheap decision and appoint JOS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Fair play to the ref. A lot of them would have given it

Correct decision reached by VAR and the ref, that wasn't a penalty.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement