Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The end of season is what counts, it didn’t affect any of the provinces

Saying it is bizarre is just because it doesn’t suit your narrative

The fact a number of players went on to represent Ireland in the World Cup was another huge bonus

Also when you consider the B&I cup ran for years yet we never had the same outcry I think we can all agree it’s just fans finding something to moan about for no reason

So thank you, you agree the coach’s picked players that wouldn’t be part of the URC teams/squads so it had no affect on the provinces or how they ended up at close of season

Finally got to it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

For the B&I cup yes. Not a single player played in the B&I cup who would have been anywhere near the 23 or backups for a provincial fixture. They were picked because they weren't in the main team that week. That could not be less relevant to the EI tour which is a completely different setup. You are making zero sense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You need to go back and look at the EI squad if you think those players wouldn’t have been involved in the URC.

Frisch, Daly, Nash, Crowley, Ahern, Salanoa, Kendellen, Barron all would’ve been in Munster 23’s.

Your argument isn’t based in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Munster lost 5 of their first 7 matches last season and I 100% think the EI tour had a part to play in that.

I think that's debatable, at best.

This is the Munster XV that lost to Cardiff in the opening match in 2022, in which all the EI players were available;

Shane Daly; Calvin Nash, Chris Farrell, Malakai Fekitoa, Liam Coombes; Ben Healy, Paddy Patterson; Josh Wycherley, Niall Scannell, Keynan Knox; Jean Kleyn, Fineen Wycherley; Jack O'Donoghue (C), Alex Kendellen, Jack O'Sullivan.

This is the XV that lined out against the Dragons, and lost. The Dragons' first home win in a year and a half, btw.

Mike Haley; Keith Earls, Dan Goggin, Malakai Fekitoa, Simon Zebo; Ben Healy, Craig Casey; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer, Jean Kleyn, Fineen Wycherley, Jack O'Donoghue, Peter O'Mahony (capt), Jack O'Sullivan.

So that's two defeats from two, against terrible teams, and only one of which was in any way impacted by the EI tour. I would strongly disagree that either of those Munster teams is weak.

The remaining three defeats from the opening seven games were against other Irish teams who were also subject to the EI tour, and in each of those games we saw reasonably strong Munster XVs named.

TBH, I think Munster just had a bad start to the season, which is fair enough with the departure of JVG, but the EI tour was a nice scapegoat rather than a root cause IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

Not one player missed preseason because of the B&I tournament, not one player went on a tour to SA while participating in the B&I cup

Anyone trying to compare the two tournaments is stirring the pot looking for a reaction

They're light years apart in how they impact a club

Post edited by phog on

The remaining three defeats from the opening seven games were against other Irish teams who were also subject to the EI tour,

As true as this may be, I think Munster were hit most given the players chosen. They could afford to lose Daly/Frisch/Nash/Crowley less than we could afford to lose Milne/McCarthy/Penny/Soroka.

It's obviously a hypothetical we can't completely answer and I partly agree that Munster simply started the season poorly. But that level of disruption simply cannot help.

I think nobody would be arguing that the tour is acceptable if it was done in the Euro window, so maybe we should start with that as a baseline for people who say "it didn't matter at all".

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The end of the season doesn't exist in a bubble. The end of the season is influenced by what happens at the start of the season.

Games in September and October give you the same number of points as games in April and May.

Yeah, I’m not disputing the last tour was relatively disruptive to Munster and Ulster. I think the Munster squad has evolved though, and I just don’t see them as impacted this time around.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It just adds to the story of Munster winning the title against tremendous odds. I'd be more inclined to focus on the positive. That and the emergence of Crowley and Nash as internationals.

• Advertisement

Ya, look, I've never suggested there aren't any positives. But plenty have suggested there are no negatives / it makes no difference.

I just don't think that stacks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,136 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Main issue for Munster at the beginning of the 2022 season was that they had just finished pre-season with a completely new coaching team, bringing in a completely different playing style, and then lost a glut of players right when it came to stress-testing it.

On this point, Munster will be a lot more steady in October and should not be impacted as badly as 2022.

It's Ulster that would be my primary concern. Could you really make the case that their (predominantly) younger players will be better off leaving Richie Murphy for three weeks? Debatable, imo.

More broadly, I'm not sure I'd call this the IRFU disrespecting the URC, necessarily. But they definitely seem to be under-appreciating the increasing competitiveness of the league. Might just be semantics there.

Home knock-out games in the URC are now emerging as viable revenue generators for provinces. On the flipside, away knockout games in South Africa could be massively costly, in terms of finances and silverware. Every point counts.

Leinster fortunes didn't change because of the EI, I think we can all agree that

Munster won the league

Ulster from recollection had a great start to season, I think a loss v Leinster in Ravenspan but that was hardly a shock, went on a great run and it was only after the Leinster loss the wheels came off at Christmas

Connacht had a bad start to season but that was based on no stadium and lots of away games, finishing off with qualification for Europe. Would it have been different without the EI Tour?

None of the teams for affected by the EI tour.

Munster were missing 20 players at one point during the EI tour.

Nobody would be arguing that has no impact if it was from injuries alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

Whether it directly impacts a province or not is almost irrelevant. It remains a fact that a group of players are being taken out of the provinces outside of an international window.

But no one can try and claim it didn't impact Munster, we had a new coaching ticket with a mixed preseason/early season because of it and Ulster's newish coaching ticket will have similar issues this coming season

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think nobody would be arguing that the tour is acceptable if it was done in the Euro window

Well, it wouldn’t be a good idea because European games are harder to win than URC, and you only have four pool matches, so the relative impact of a loss is much bigger.

At the end of it all, it’s a value proposition. Whether it’s an acceptable trade off for second tier players to miss two or three URC games in order to maybe identify 3 or 4 test players is entirely a matter of perspective. Some people will always prioritise province over country, others won’t, neither of these is objectively wrong.

Personally, I think it’s a great idea and we saw it pay off almost immediately last time around, and the negative impact was overstated. Maybe we’ll find another couple of guys who can be fast tracked into the test side, or it could be just as valuable to rule a couple of guys out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think Kelly just got his timing wrong with Leinster. He was trying to break in and get minutes when there wasn't much gametime on offer. And yes, he struggled to perform when he did see some action. Then he went to play 7s. I think it would have been better if he sharpened his skills playing 7s while he was in the Academy and there wasn't much Leinster gametime on offer anyway, like Keenan and JOB did. They were able to hit the ground running when the door did open for them in terms of getting into the Leinster team. Kelly's got good pedigree as an age grade 15s player, and he's done very well with the 7s. Put those two things together and I think you're probably looking at an athletic player with a well-rounded skilset who could potentially do very well if he returned to 15s.

Kleyn pushing from the second row would help inexperienced tightheads like Barrett or Foxe survive in the scrum against grizzled Currie Cup veterans. I was thinking Ulster would need Wilson (who would be the obvious pick otherwise), Leinster would need Clarkson, and Connacht would need Aungier. But perhaps if Tom O'Toole is available to play URC Wilson can go without it affecting Ulster too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I would think the Ireland coaches would select a list of their preferred players of interest, then would circulate the list to the head coaches of the provinces and would be given an opportunity to respond before the list of players would be finalised.

For example, if Marty Moore and Tom O’Toole are both fit and available, and I believe there is a high potential tighthead in the academy or entering the academy, then Scott Wilson could be allowed go with the EI squad and miss 3 Ulster games.

Alternatively, if Marty Moore isn’t fit, and the academy options aren’t deemed to be ready to fill in, then Scott Wilson should stay with Ulster.

Once the list of players has been run through like that, and assuming there are gaps leftover, then they probably would have to move down the list to work out how to fill out positions in the squad.

It might be better to jump down to capable players that aren’t needed by the provinces rather than use the high potential players that might be needed by the provinces.

It’ll be interesting to see what players are selected.

Now Cheslin Kolbe trying to ratchet things up with bizarre statements;

“There’s been a lot of talk about Ireland deserving to win the World Cup, we’ll see in July.”

Really? Who has said that we deserved to win the World Cup?

Is it that hard to motivate themselves that they need all this crap? Are ticket sales slow?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/well-see-in-july-south-africas-cheslin-kolbe-wants-to-silence-claims-that-ireland-deserved-to-win-the-world-cup/a793618007.html

• Advertisement

I am sure Rassie went out and found some nutjob who said it is passing and plastered it everywhere. He is obsessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Its just weird now isn't it. I'm scared to mention his name in case he suddenly appears, but it's almost like yer man who used to post on here is briefing the SA players.

SA's entire MO is psyching themselves up by any means possible. It works very well, they win matches just by sheer pashun and willpower.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭nerd69

There was plenty of it on the likes of off the ball and rassie was shown showing players that and the south africa are drug cheats type stuff. I can see why they have their back up

It works very well in fits and starts. I don't think it is sustainable. They are not a consistent team

Two world cups in a row! Six knockout games without defeat! The kind of consistency everyone dreams of.

And pretty mediocre in between. Yes I would like to win a world cup, but this is why South Africa should never be talked about in the same breath as the New Zealand side of 2011-2015 who were far, far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭OldRio

Breaking your heart seeing this league improve isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Yeah I mean if the URC isn't going from strength to strength then what is it doing? Last 3 years have been great.

• Advertisement

That's the big difference in mentality between the two countries. SA have no problem experimenting, losing pool games, warmups or even the RC once they learn from it and go on to win the important matches.

Their 4 world cups in 8 tournaments are testament to their ability to get the job done. Sure, there has never been a side as good to watch or as successful as NZ in the mid 2010s but they still only won the same number of world cups as Rassie's SA.

They're in many ways the complete opposite of Ireland who are a model of consistency when it matters less and a model of mediocrity when it matters most. Not hugely dissimilar to Wales, on a smaller scale, who were often woeful but still able to pull off grand slams and WC knockout wins.

Ireland are 'win today, win tomorrow (lose next week)' which works well for them to a point. It's not an ethos every team subscribes to .

Advertisement