Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

I think we did that before. We should exclude the maroons though as they'll be the clear winner

EDIT: Supposed to be quoting Valeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Colour once again is the problem. Give them full TOS colours or pastel tops and black pants and it's fine.

A lot of the background people had 1 piece. Or maybe it was just on the space station which had different uniforms but there was definitely some pro cycling level bulges going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I Don't see anything wrong with the TMP uniforms except for they are very Generic. They could feature in any sci-fi film. They are not very Star Trek. That is there biggest problem. It would never work now but it could back then.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ya generic is a big problem. Same with some of the newer design choices in Star Trek and especially Disco. All feels too generic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What does that little box even DO?? It just drags the eyes towards everyone's crotch!

Which, ya know, is not necessarily BAD as such, but still!

• Advertisement

It was called a life signs monitor in the design notes. But in reality its just to look sci-fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Snort.

I also snorted a little how the Sonic Shower's magic ability to cloth you, in convenently raunchy clothes, was another bit of "canon" disappeared into the Trek Memory Hole.

Ms

So any of ye watching Apples "Dark Matter" Show. Its actually very good after the first two episodes not that they were bad but they were very strange.

I am on the 6th episode now and see that Roxanne Dawson aka Belanna from "Voyager" directed it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,533 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's one that, like so many others, I'll get around to at some stage! In general Apple have been decent with sci-fi though. Been enjoying Invasion (bar one or two irritating characters), Silo, For All Mankind, and Foundation (only very loosely adapted from the books, which bugged me at first, but was probably the safer bet).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Dark Matter is good - really enjoying it, superior to Constellation

Ms

Yes definitely. I have struggled to watch Constellation.

Hard to watch them all. I still have to watch "For All Mankind" and "Foundation "also that other one that people talk about. I forget what it's called.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It was really odd of Apple to not only commission two similar shows, but release them quite close to each other.

Constellation was okay, started intriguing enough but it was never as clever as it thought it was & dragged the àrse out of a simple enough plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Yeah, Constellation was waaay too slow and agreed @pixelburp - they thought they were so clever, but it was obvious in episode 1 …

that she'd switched universes.

I think it's been cancelled now, so there will be no second season.

Ms

SO TWOK and TSFS are both on in Vue next weekend and the weekend after. Not the biggest screens in the World or even the Country but still would be good to have them full. Let's fill them so far TSFS seems the more popular one.

I would start a thread for them but I can not 😞 .

Maybe someone else here will.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

That was so worth it. I still think there is problems with TWOK like when Chekov and the Captain are on Ceti Alpha 5 and Khan's gang corner them why did they not just get the Reliant to beam then up or even better yet Chokov should have said it inside the shelter. Of course then we would not get the excellent film it is.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Watched Wrath of Khan myself in follow-up to The Motion Picture from the other week… and you can really see where they cut some serious corners when both films were watched in relative quick succession: say what you will about the first film all the money was on the screen - but equally, tWoK looked so cheap in comparison, especially given the amount of the Motion PIcture's FX they reused. Yeah the uniforms became iconic in their own right but the sets and production design was really shoddy against the lush '79 picture. Definitely a film whose success was on the page, and the well-staged tension of what was an ostensible submarine / warship picture from Nicholas Meyer.

Also: when you sit back, the Kobayashi Maru made no sense, internally to the universe. Yeah it was rendered as a bait n' switch for the audience, so it was clearly just a bit of cinematic fun - but in universe? Why would there be any value in flashing smoke on the "bridge", or getting your (seasoned) officers to pretend die on a setting everyone there already knows is fake? You'd feel like a right idiot.

Military exercises often have fake casualties dying. It being our crew does stretch it though, more realistically it would be Academy staff.

It wasn't having fake casualties that didn't make internal sense, it was making it such a theatrical thing - purely so the audience would be wrong footed. It was a cheap bit of bait and switch that didn't make much sense within the universe. For whose benefit was Captain Spock "dying" for? The viewer obviously, but meh, just one of those silly things that kinda demanded you don't think too hard about. Like TMP's high-heel and sexy bathrobe producing sonic showers.

Ms

For whose benefit was Captain Spock "dying" for? The viewer obviously, but meh, just one of those silly things that kinda demanded you don't think too hard about.

I think was a more kind of be careful what wish for or pretend because it might and indeed could become real as in Spocks death.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Paramount have been doing some slightly odd collaboration licensing for games recently. World of Tanks had an event based on the Abrams movies content, and now World of Warships has announced they're doing a TNG event.

https://www.instagram.com/worldofwarships/reel/C8ChjCTR2Po/

Not much info, though the silhouettes suggest captains of Picard, Spock, Gowron and Sela (maybe).

What the hell? Well this has sideswiped me.

I hope Giamatti joined cos he liked the script, not cos they dumped money in his lap.

Set phasers to stunned. In another casting coup, the upcoming Paramount+ series “Star Trek: Starfleet Academy” has cast Emmy winner and multiple Oscar nominee Paul Giamatti in a recurring guest role as the first season’s main villain, who has a sinister connection to the past of one of the (yet to be cast) cadets.

Giamatti joins Holly Hunter, who Variety exclusively reported in May is boarding “Starfleet Academy” as the Academy’s captain and chancellor.

Post edited by pixelburp on

No sure if it's Vanity Fair or the series itself but a captain is quite a low rank to be in charge of somewhere like Starfleet Academy. Still not interested, Giamatti is a great actor but that'll only carry so much.

It's all about what's in the script: cos Giamatti is a great actor but he can also be incredibly hammy; if this is just some Big Bad scenery chewing role, uh oh. If it's something at least with some nuance and depth, then there's potential.

Essentially and I have no faith that the writers of this will be any good. Hoping to be surprised in a SNW way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭Inviere

Same. Will be going into it with expectations on the floor, so even the slightest bit of decency will be enough to catch my attention.

So far no mention of Michelle Paradise which is great but the showrunner Noga Landau doesn't seem to have much behind her. A Nancy Drew series and The Magicians which I assume are both for a younger audience and a sci-fi called Tom Swift which IMDB tells me had LeVar Burton playing a character called Barclay.

Im not sure if the show being a YA show is confirmed or just expected but it would be best to just be up front about it and it will get a lot more good will like Prodigy did.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Honestly I kind of assumed Lt. jg Tilly was going to be in charge.

The Magicians was a young cast but very much darker, more adult oriented in terms of tone. Main flaw was a total absence of budget to be honest, but the execution wasn't typical melodramatic fare, or infantile. Not in the least, it was fairly messed up with deeply flawed almost irredeemably terrible people (it was based on a book series which itself was quite mature).

So if you say they're in charge, their helming of Magicians actually gives me some hope.

• Advertisement

Info is sparse but IMDb has her as "co-showrunner" and creator along with Kurtzmann but he is always listed with those kinds of titles so you can ignore that bit.

It was originally to be made by a team known for the OC and similar teen stuff but those two are gone.

Advertisement