Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 - Ballaghaderreen to Scramoge [underway]

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

People are still protesting even though the original proposals have been watered down and the new plan includes 270 parking spaces. That's 30% of the population of the town!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,302 ✭✭✭markpb

Only a banana could look at the plans and worry that there’s not enough parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Westernview

FFS. If they water it down any more they should forget about doing anything there. It's just going to be a huge waste of money.

It's incredible how car obsessed we are as a society, to such a degree that we reject proposals to improve our public spaces.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Go back to Texas.

Everybody pays for car infrastructure including the carless. Pedestrian infra costs virtually nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Even in Texas they're pushing for densification, carpooling, road tolling and other measures to reduce car traffic. There's really no place left on earth where people think more roads are the answer.

It's time we gave up on the delusion that everyone should be able to travel from their own driveway to a parking space right outside the front door of their destination, no matter where that happens to be.

Our most depressing rural towns are so crap because their main streets are just long carparks.. the space taken up with cars means there's zero incentive to walk around, so people just drive right up to the place they need to go, then drive away again, and the vicious cycle continues..

• Advertisement

The parking outside the door thing is a big bugbear of mine and I think it's behind a lot of these protests. A lot of people get upset if they have to walk an extra 20 yards to a shop and then the business owners fear that the customer will go elsewhere. Pure lazy entitlement. Disabled drivers are obviously a separate case.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

See it all the time, people drive from Dunnes to Tesco where i live, despite the fact the carparks are separated by a kerb only and walking would be quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 68,722 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Plenty of shopping centre carparks clamp you if you leave the centre; so sometimes this is required to avoid that. If I wasn't willing to risk it for a few minutes at a retail park with multiple different clamping enforcements yesterday I would have needed to park up three times with short drives between.

(Not going to reply to any replies about 'maybe some people don't need the car at all', I already know that and you're wasting your own time)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

As the RosCoCo statement in the above article points out, there isn't a set number of parking spaces in Strokestown, so claims that parking is being reduced is complete nonsense. At present, large vehicles parking parallel to the road take up a significant number of parking spaces, as seen here. Most of the "destinations" in the town already have car parks which would be unaffected by the proposals (SPH, Supervalu, the schools, Primary Care Centre, the playground/preschool, Percy French hotel).

What do these protesters even want? Widest street in the country and getting almost €8m to do it up but they want the place kept as an ocean of tarmac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Jayuu

At this point they should cancel the whole project and spend the money in a community that might welcome an improvement to the public realm. Of course if they did that we'd never hear the end of how "rural Ireland" is being ignored. Sometimes you just can't win.

Anyway even though I don't travel the M5 that often I will look forward to the bypass being built so I never have to worry about Strokestown again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭user1842

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

I think by 'virtually' you really mean 'relatively'

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Some welcome aerial shots courtesy of Roscommon County Council. Not sure of the exact locations.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,918 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

not sure about the second 2 but I think the first one is along the road from Strokestown to Elphin

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭TnxM17

Yes, you are correct regarding the first picture - its Lugboy, between Elphin & Strokestown. That is the R368 that's in the foreground and the shot is facing southeast. Works on the road are visible on Google street view taken in May.

Second photograph is taken right above current N5 at Cashel between Frenchpark & Bellanagare. The view is to the east of the current N5 looking towards southeast. Again, Google street view shows work on road.

Third photograph is at Dungar outside Frenchpark looking towards the northwest. The L5629 is in the foreground and in the background is where the new N5 will tie in with the existing N5. Google street view of works here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭prunudo

Love it when photos start appearing on infrastructure threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Will there be overtaking lanes on this new stretch of road? I’d be a firm believer in looking to the future. I don’t believe any new national primary road should be anything less than a 2+2 dual standard as per Turlough-Westport.

The traditional wide road with a hard shoulder each side is just as dangerous. I see it every day, overtaking slow vehicles, oncoming traffic pulling over on their side. It’s mental stuff.

Don't think there are many if any overtaking lanes but I could be wrong.

Agreed on the SC point. That's why Type 2 DC's have become more favourable than SCs in many locations. Much safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Ah its the most Irish thing ever and does my head in.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This road is currently carrying 5.8k AADT for 2024 at Frenchpark. That's bang on 50% capacity of the new road when built, assuming traffic volumes stay the same (local traffic will keep to the existing N5, but certain traffic may now prefer the N5 if they were going via the M17 before etc). It wouldn't really make sense to build a 2+2 here given the additional width and bridging costs etc.

The horse has well and truly bolted on this one but an alternative may have been to either:

a) upgrade the N17 from Tuam to Claremorris and a major upgrade to the N60 between Castlebar and Claremorris and route N5 traffic via the M17/M6. The existing routing is only 10 minutes longer than the existing N5 route and would also have been a major upgrade for Galway/Limerick/Cork → Mayo traffic. It wouldn't have helped for Ballina based traffic though

b) upgrade the R370 and route the N5 to the N4 at Carrick on Shannon instead of Longford. This was the plan B should the archaelogical issues at Rathcrogan have proved impossible to overcome. This would have been c. 22km and the remainder would be upgraded as part of the N4 Mullingar-Longford and Carrick-Dromod schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭serfboard

In relation to point a), a newish bus service, the 721, already uses the route going from Castlebar to Dublin Airport via Claremorris and Tuam and using the motorway from there on. It also takes advantage of the recently upgraded N60 between Claremorris and Balla.

The AADT figures and capacity are not always the drivers for DC upgrades. The new offline Westport Turlough N5 route was built to DC standard for safety reasons not traffic volumes. The same logic can apply to the N17 which is one of the most dangerous roads in the country. It would also signal that the government is serious about balanced regional development by linking the 2 biggest population centres in the west.

I agree that the DC ship may have sailed for the foreseeable future but it's important to clarify the various reasons for roads are upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭yew_tree

I live on an L road in south Mayo and since the M17 opened the traffic increase is very noticeable as motorists now use various local roads outside Ballinrobe/Kilmaine/Shrule/Hollymount as rat runs to zig zag their way into Tuam and onto the motorway.

Advertisement