Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Elections 2024 - Results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Nightwing1862

Nowhere near it. 17 candidates still remaining in Ireland South and 16 in Midlands North West. They're still shuffling through the sub 10000 vote candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭bren2001

We don't use first past the post. Its an irrelevant fact. 63k people voted for Aodhan. 63k people chose him as the Dublin representative.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

We do count the first preference vote. And that's the figure I was talking about.

With a list of twenty something candidates, that percentage is pretty decent. You should enter a race with that many runners- if the bookies chalked you up at 10-1 with each-way on the first 4, you would almost certainly be among the leading contenders. Royal Ascot is next week--- check it out if you don't believe me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,534 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

O Riordain will be just another face in the crowd in the European Parliament.

Of course he has to say he will do this that and the other but its just all hot air.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

These elections just bring out the mediocre cultists voting for whatever personality cult they are brainwashed into supporting. Always been like this, that is why turnout was so low, always was, always will be. A general election is a different animal, only problem is with that, we have no real tangible opposition to what is currently going on. SF has completely fallen into its own arse, it's supporter base has been eradicated. The FF/FG cult supporter base is always going to be there, until maybe 15 years from now, when a good lot of them will no longer be here. But yeah, I don't know how Ríordáin got so many twixts, Siptu trade union cultists?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

We also count their transferred votes and that is all that matters in the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Quite evident that a lot of people, including posters on here, haven't the first idea how PR-STV works.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I wouldn't be shouting from the rooftops about 63k votes, half of them not first preferences, when Dublin has a population of over a million people.

• Advertisement

Daly was in no mood to talk to RTE.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I doubt he'll bother mentioning his vote count at all over the next 5 years that he is in the European Parliament.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You'd swear AOR came from 20th place in first preferences to 4th. He went from 5th place to 4th. And the gap between 4th and 5th for first preferences was less than 0.5% of the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eudaimonia

Perfect thanks. Has a breakdown of the rounds as well.

My view in Ireland South once the remaining far right independent go out there’s around four of them left with around 8k votes each and Derek Blighe with 25k, and they are distributed largely to Wallace then he’s in trouble. He still has to withstand a large distribution from Susan Doyle Social Democrats on 20k, Niamh Hourigan Labour on 22k, possibly John Mullins FG with 36k votes to be distributed and if it goes down to the wire there with Funchion pushing him out of fifth Grace OSullivan Green on 46k. He doesn’t stand a chance against all those transfers.

MNW, there’s a lot more far right candidates there to be distributed yet, and it looks like a three horse race between Gildernew, Chambers and Mullooly there with FF having a third candidate Niall Blaney with about 30k to be distributed to give Chambers transfers.

A good percentage of that population can't vote; another percentage didn't vote; and another percentage spoiled their vote— you only count those who do. Not sure where you logic is going. AO'R won.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

But he is ultimately going to the European Parliament after a fair and free electoral contest, whether he chooses to shout from the rooftops or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭bren2001

Only 387k people cast a vote. Thats the relevant number when you're comparing the 63k to something. Dublins population is irrelevant.

He is Dublins 4th pick to represent the area in Europe. I'm delighted for him and think he will do a fantastic job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

And we've had plenty of politicians elected on loads of counts. In this case we have a high number of European election candidates. So no, it's not particularly horrifying. Anyway who put him as a preference, were happy to have him represent them and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭Augme

Where as it would have been different with Niall Boylan. He would have single-handedly solved all our problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Roald Dahl

So, will Niall Boylan be back on Classic Hits 4FM tomorrow? Maybe co-hosting with David Harvey? A blast from the past!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The vicious comments here re Niall Boylan are pretty disgusting - From what I know, NB was bullied as a child/school years and developed alopecia/similar as a result - He has tried various fixes over the years, implants being one of them - I don't know if he has a wig now or not, I don't care. The only people that seem to care are the people that like to use #bekind in their bio's

When the #bekindy's turn nasty, it's not a pretty sight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The alternative was nutters who support the burning of buildings rumoured to be used for asylum seekers. Nutters who want to take away the rights of others. Candidate not far removed from the people that started the Dublin Riots. That repulses most people.
    SF have provided nothing concrete to solve housing for us so fell flat on their face. Spent most of 2023 braying on about a United Ireland that people neither side of the border want in any great numbers.

Faced with those choices, people went with a safe option, what they know.
    Nearly 30% independents elected to councils though, the parties will probably try to hoover up the best of them over the next few years.
    There’s a lot to unpack from this election.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Has always been the case. These are the same people who claimed self righteously that nobody wanted Varadkar and that it took him FIVE counts to be elected!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭gossamerfabric

surplus of an elected candidate when exceeding the quota on first count is redistributed to whom? …weighted sample…

• Registered Users Posts: 68,558 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was replying to someone complaining about votes of people who do not meet a quota on the first count.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

People on Twitter/Boards/Similar are always bitching and moaning but to the vast majority on the street politics isn't that important and the issues raised not actually that big a deal as vast majority of people have houses, don't need urgent health care and are unaffected by immigration - they are simply the issues of the day where whatever Govt is in power is not doing great. But for the vast majority public services (schools, roads etc) are ok, unemployment is low, wages much higher than most if Europe, Ireland is safe from conflict and the vast majority relatively crime free - that can be seen on any global index.

Are there a few countries that can do things better, probably but nowhere is absolutely perfect. So in Ireland we're happy to have a fairly stable, centrist Govt with only small fluctuations in left right leaning - where if you consider FG right wing while they have endorsed and allowed for Gay Marriage and increased abortion rights, or consider Sinn Fein hard left while they campaign against property tax - then a look at what proper Hard Right like Orban, or Hard Left (actually hard to think of an example in Europe at the moment - maybe Tsipras and Syriza in Greece a decade ago) means.

The realistic Political Parties now that are shouting change, are really only offering a new name on the door and beyond saying we'll do things better have little radical to offer. The Radical offerings from both Left (ie Paul Murphy) and Right (ie Hermann Kelly) can promise revolutionary changes because they know they'll never have to deliver on them because to the vast majority it won't wash, only to their own niche that keeps them just barely in.

Ireland is not in a **** place, and so the majority remain happy with the status quo. Do we want better healthcare and housing - absolutely! But is there a bigger worry that an unknown radical change would lead to wage reductions, job losses, degradation of services - imo yeah, probably.

And for our big shiny example of what can go wrong, we only have to look at Britain. They let populists like Johnson and Farage set an agenda for the last 10 years, and now their country really does look a divided basket case.

Did I say it would have been different.

No I didn't so why are you putting words in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

Did Barry Andrews not resign as CEO of GOAL a few years back after there was fraudulent activity going on behind the scene under his tenure? The Irish electorate have very short memories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Personally, I would never mock Boylan’s - or any candidate’s - appearance or past mental and health struggles.

I would focus on his vacuous ideas, ignorance and weaponised bigotry instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Or they do and are just unhappy about the result.

Advertisement