Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin really safe?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

This is off tangent to Dublin but in my opinion towns and cities in the country are gradually getting more unsafe.

There has been an increase of petty to serious antisocial behavior in most if not all major urban centers which we are almost becoming immune to now.

The carrot approach combined with the revolving door justice system and no more personal accountability ( it's society's fault apparently) is slowly leading us down this path.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭yagan

I've arrived at the conclusion that once a towns centre of business, shopping, offices, etc.. moves out to retail and commercial zones in the burbs the old urban centres lose their vitality. Plus as the residential suburbs expanded families moved out from above shops and pubs leaving the centres behind.

it’s not at all off topic- it’s completely relevant- only an idiot wouldn’t realise that if people can’t access their town or city or if access by cars are banned outright without proper alternatives for access that the city will turn into a hell hole of fast food outlets and discount stores - some people on this thread just want to moan about how depressing Dublin is (it’s not in my view) - but it will get worse if people can’t access it and yes, all the major retail outlets will move out as they depend on customers who have ease of access

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

The city centre is absolute trash these days. You could be in any 3rd world sh ithole around Talbot street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Its not just Dublin , Limerick City Centre has become very dangerous in recent times with drug addicts and other criminals targetting people all day every day…lots of towns and villages in County Limerick had their garda stations closed leading to drug dealers controlling many of these towns and villages with nobody to protect law abiding people….

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have never had a problem in Dublin anytime I was there thankfully.

That's harsh. I never found it bad. Have walked it thousands of times.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Doc07

I know everyone has different experiences but I really don’t think it’s credible to consider Limerick has become more dangerous in recent times. I’m sure it can be sketchy but I have gone on 2 nights out in Limerick in the last 12 months, in a million years I wouldn’t have gone there in the 90s due to the perception of it being rough , it was called stab city for god sake, even by locals! Then there was the Dundon gang stuff of the 00s

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭thereiver

I think dublin is generally safe ,as long as you are careful and use common sense.keep walking if someone asks you for money,dont carry your phone in your hand .i think dublin is unusual in that you can walk around for 20 minutes without seeing a garda .i think dublin is safer than some other european citys .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

You never experienced 3rd world conditions if you think Talbot Street is anywhere close to that level. Ludicrous take.

Just visit South Africa or Brazil (neither of which are 3rd world countries btw) and get a glimpse of the townships next to Cape Town Airport or the favelas in Rio and come back to us. Hell that's not even to talk about the slum districts in Mumbai or Delhi and again India isn't 3rd world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Out of interest, what developing countries have you been in that could be used as a direct comparison to Talbot Street and why is that the case? What features of these countries do we see in Talbot Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Would you not think that the ranking for Dublin in that list of friendly cities would drop down a few places now that we are in 2024. That above article was published about a month before the Dublin riots which took place in November. Have you noticed that drop in friendliness from people going about their business in Dublin City Centre since those riots occurred last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭thereiver

Theres hostels in many area,s around dublin ,they are not obvious, theres no signs ,

they are mostly old buildings most hostels have at least 20 rooms ,and are at least 3 storeys high.unless you live there it just looks like another georgian style building .the riots were just a one off incident organised by right wing extremists they dont reflect the general level of safety in dublin.

theres was an article about talbot street in the last week dublin city council is working with local business owners to improve the area in general

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

ln that case you don't know much about third world countries and even less about what Talbot street and that area was like forty years ago!

Dublin is dramatically safer today than it was 40 years ago. The individual crimes are more dramatic, but there are very few by comparison. Pretty much everyone I knew back then had been the victim of some crime and we did not book client appointments at our offices off Talbot Street after 4:00 PM in winter. The juniors who needed to catch public transport at the end of the day, left the offices in groups for heavens sake.

And then of course people were even afraid to go into a bank in case there would be a raid…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

It sounds like something that the "90%" would say.

Or should I say 0.45%

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I disagree.

Dublin might have more defined no go areas back then, joyriding, heroin etc. The city was half derelict. But it wasn't as dirty or so many minor crimes and assaults as there are today. Talbot St is on the fringe if some of the rougher areas in Dublin. I know someone that was assaulted there a recently. Dublin has a much higher population now and is busier with more people, so it might seem like it's less desolate than it used to be but crime is still happening.

I don't believe any stats that say otherwise. Crime stats in Ireland have all sorts of scandals they just aren't reliable.

I suspect a lot just aren't getting reported in the media.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/danger-on-talbot-street-im-threatened-every-day-1490213

https://extra.ie/2024/06/12/news/welsh-tourist-slashed-in-the-face

I would say Dublin is kinda mostly ok.. But It's not as nice or well policed as a capital city should be. Or one that promotes itself a tourist destination or land of a thousand welcomes.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

From having lived in the north inner city over thirty years ago the problems weren't as obvious or in your face, but there was a lot of petty crime issues. Around the SFX there were junky riddled squats but I remember when there was enough community cohesion to drive drug dealers out of certain areas, but during the Bertie bubble a lot of community cohesion was eroded by urban renewal and the drug dealing increased.

As Ireland moved into the suburbs in the 90s and 00s city and town centres emptied out, leaving a vacuum for more transient activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Talbot Street/Oconnell Street area is poor and I personally never go there. That said, the southside city centre is generally very nice. Never had or seen an unsavoury issue and I am there week in week out.

I would sum up Dublin overall as a city that takes more than it gives. It is interesting that nearly all my outside Dublin nieces and nephews immediately discounted Dublin for third level because of the cost and safety. Two are heading for other universities in the EU which they calculate work out cheaper for fees and accommodation, plus the advantage of immersion in another EU language.

When young people of the nation with a bank of optimism starting out bypass the capital then it's hard to ignore the feeling that Dublin has more to repel than attract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Are you blaming the north sides crime problem on immigrants? I'd love to see your research on the matter.

so which cities do they think are safer than Dublin then?

Post up your name and phone number and I'll pass it to them.

I left Dublin years ago and I'll never return, and that's having lived in one of the nice leafy areas that are used as deflection so often here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Absolutely disgusting attack.

It made me feel literally sick in my stomach.

My own experience which I posted about on here previously...I was slashed in the face in kilmainham while walking home totally unprovoked basically outside the Gardai station they did the sum of sweet FA. With the publicity this will attract they might actually put some work into catching the low life's involved. I wish the young man involved a speedy recovery.

The thing is anyone around long enough knows the attacker if they do time will be back out to do more damage in short time.

The streets are theirs, not the nations.

You mean the IRA and their mates knee capping supposed only for them to regularly get it wrong and revenge attacks that turned out to have nothing to do with drugs…. Those days had nothing to recommend them.

We that pretty much says it all then if are not even willing to mention the name of a city.

These days aren't great in Dublin either with the shoe box landlordism of FFG.

The truth is outside of the north inner city no one really cares if it burned to the ground tomorrow. The only reason anyone ever ventures that way now is for a gig/match in Croker. Now the teams and fans are gone straight after the match, whereas I remember all Ireland parties going into the night around the stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,804 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Did you quote the wrong post?

The lads talking about people moving to the suburbs and you're on about the IRA?

Advertisement