Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ensuite far from waste and water

• 11-06-2024 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am wondering is it possible to build an en-suite at the front of the house, when the kitchen and existing bathroom are at the back of the house?

Can you run fresh water and waste pipe through the attic from the back of the house to the front and vice versa for the waste pipe?

Also, if there is a rain runoff drain at the front, is it possible to run the waste pipe in to that rain run off drain? I have heard about those toilets that grind the waste and therefore have a smaller pipe. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Getting water to any point via the attic is easy. water is a pressurised system. You waste is not, it's moved by gravity (there are pumped systems, but assume not going that route here).

You also can't feed toilet waste into the rainwater drainage.

How difficult it ill be depends where you foul drain is. It if runs out the front, could be easy to plumb into. Could it could be on the other side of the house

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Thanks for the reply.

I read something about older areas having only one drain, so everything goes in there, could that be correct?

Im not against a pumped system. What would be the issue with them?

If the house is directly on to the road (no garden), I presume it would be pretty much impossible to plumb into the foul drain?

Im in the process of looking for a house so trying to figure out how to determine this before buying. Any ideas?

This would be something I am referring to.

Living room is at the very front. Ideally would like to make add an ensuite here. How feasible would it be to do this?

Would I need to dig up under all of the rooms and out to the kitchen? Is that a very expensive job? 2/3k or talking 10/20k?

Obviously there isnt any side of the house to run the pipe along, can it be done through the attic, but toilet waste and sink/shower waste?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

Your either going out through the front of the house if possible ( involves opening path / road permits for same, new connection to sewer v costly) you can take floors up to go to the back of house, depending on levels as sewer has to flow by gravity/ make up of floor can be costly if concrete or finally whilst far from ideal you could possibly run them into a macerator & pump up into attic via inch & half pipe & across to back of house & then drop down into sewer , macerator will be noisy & will require power supply + regular maintaining

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

There are vacuum systems out there, but a gravity fed system in the first place is the best option.

Do you know exactly where are the foul water pipes are around the site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The waste water from exisiting bathroom will be handy enough to find. Im going to say they are at the rear.

Inch and a half wavin wont be nearly big enough either.

Believe it or not it might be cheaper and easier to put in a new bathroom at the back of bedroom 3. You already have a window opening so no mad structural work needed. Go direct labour. Get a man in to throw up a few blocks is my suggestion. You only need 2 walls.

Thank you for the reply.

Few thoughts.

Macerator was my initial thought but I read that you need to be very careful with what you flush down there, and I plan to rent out the room, so its possible that the tenant wouldn't be as careful as I know they should. Obviously, it would be communicated but you never know.

What kind of regular maintenance is required?

This isn't my house, just an example of the type of house I am interested in, but it looks like there isn't a proper attic in this house, but obviously there is a distance between the ceiling and the attic. Is it quite probable that there is the ability to run it through the attic, even if there isn't a proper attic space like in a larger house?

On the sewer at the front, how costly is very costly in terms of the connection/opening path/permits etc? If you know of course.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know and this property is only an example. It is already sold but its a similar type layout of the house I would be looking at. I presume they are at the back where the bathroom and kitchen are.

Any idea of the potential cost to dig and lay the waste pipe all the way through the house to the back yard? Obviously, I wouldn't be doing this if the house didn't need total refurb.

Is the vacuum system you're referring to something like saniflow? Or different?

Inch and a half wavin wont be nearly big enough either.

Can you explain what you mean by this?

Unfortunately, I would need the en-suite at the front as I would want to rent out the room to someone with an en-suite attached.

Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

4 inch wavin for waste from a toilet. Inch and a half would get blocked.

• Advertisement

Ah okay, so youre saying I would need to lay a 4 inch pipe running under the house. Is this 4 inches diameter I presume? Needing to dig down 4 inches plus maybe another couple of inches to allow for gravity doesnt seem like a huge task or am I dreaming?

Thanks again for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭chooseusername

If it's the house from your other thread,

I would hazard a guess that the public sewer runs down the street in front of the house,

Is the vacuum system you're referring to something like saniflow

yes

not sure thats a foul water manhole, looks more like a water main access for something like a sluice valve

Submit a request to datarequests@water.ie for high level map of known Uisce Éireann assets in the area. There may be alternative sewer somewhere you are unaware of

Any experience of doing this? How expensive would it be in terms of the plumbing to run it up through the attic and out to the back. About 30 feet. Both waste out and fresh water in.

Thanks

This is a different house but similar area.

Are you saying that if the public sewer runs down the front, it could be easier to build the en-suite at the front and connect to the sewer?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭FazyLucker

Can you tell where the existing drainage is? If it came from the kitchen out to the front room then you might just be able to dig a hole and tie in to the existing foul drain?

You can get drainage CCTV surveys done and if they find a drain pipe comes through that front room, you are sorted and its an easy thing - dig a hole and connect a pipe to it.

(BTW - I've never heard anybody satisfied with a macerator, from a smell and cost perspective it is unlikely to be cheaper in the long run).

Thanks for the reply.

Any idea of what a drainage CCTV would cost?

The thing is I want to buy a house where I can do this so its a case of needing it done before buying.

Oh sorry I didn't realise you didn't own it!

Ring up Dyno Rod or SuperDrain and ask them, or e-mail them showing them the picture above and explain what you want to know. You'd probably need the consent of the existing owner to do that but to be fair it wouldn't exactly destroy the place. I don't think it would be outlandish cost wise.

You might even get lucky and somebody from one of those companies might say "oh, those drains always run to the front of the house", but you'd be taking a bit of a risk at the same time going on word of mouth.

BTW also - somebody can correct me if this is wrong. But I think foul and rainwater drainage all go in to the one in houses from that era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Apologies, I thought you were talking about putting an en-suite in the house you were thinking of buying and renovating,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

Not quite sure what costs are but with irish water involved I imagine your into 5 - 10 k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

We moved into a house and made an ensuite. Because of a slope in the garden we could not run waste into pipes and across the garden to the septic tank. Plumber fitted a toliet and fitted a macerator onto it - something like this https://www.screwfix.ie/p/saniflo-sanipro-up-macerator-400w-220-240v/6164v . He brought pipes from the toilet up into the attic and it runs then down into a waste pipe across the house. It vertically pumps the waste from one side of the house to the other. Its been working fine for 3 years - no issues and not one blockage. Obviously you can only put toilet paper into it etc. It's a bit noisy but nothing crazy imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rayjdav

If it is a new connection to IW, there is a standard flat fee, on the basis that there is no works outside of your boundary. If IW have to do works on the public road, outside of a standard connection, you can run into €€€'s then. If it is within your boundary, just connect to an existing waste pipe.

To the OP, if I understand correctly, you don't own the property yet?? How can you do a cctv on something you don't own yet? Current owners unlikley to give permission for that….

Thanks very much for the reply.

This initially was my fall back idea but I read so many reviews online saying that there are 1) lots of issues 2) maintenance required and 3) you got charged a fortune by plumbers for issues with macerators.

However, I am wondering if it might be the case that they bought cheaper units?

Also, if you used ALOT of toilet paper lets say, would it block then?

Do you have to be very careful?

Is it a toilet that would be used often?

My concern is that I want to put it in a room I would sub-lease or airbnb, so I can't fully control what the person living there would do, but would obviously advise them of what they should do.

Thats correct, I don't own it, just investigating possibilities.

"If it is a new connection to IW, there is a standard flat fee, on the basis that there is no works outside of your boundary. " - basically, you're saying if the foul drain runs within your front garden for example, you just pay a connection fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

Hi there,

It's used a few times a day. Yes, we are careful with it - I consciously use less toilet paper than I would in a normal toilet tbf. Haven't tested the tolerances but i guess it someone wanted to block it i'm sure they could….

best of luck

Advertisement