Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14; Russell T Davies Returns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

I thought that the latest episode was great and the last was very old school (2005 era) Who

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That was another good episode - it's nice to be able to enjoy Doctor Who again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭corkie

Yes a good Doctor Centric episode.

Thought for awhile that it might have been a good episode to end Ruby Sunday, but remembered she is still around for part of season 2.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/tv/bbc-doctor-who-confirms-millie-28988212

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Watched it, quite decent. Still have to catch up on "Boom", "73 yards" and "dot and bubble". Sounds like things have picked up since "space babies" and "devils chord" anyway.

Interestingly, I don't think we've seen the Doctor wear a repeat costume once so far this season have we? Interesting departure from when the Doctor wore the exact same clothes every week regardless of the setting. That TARDIS wardrobe finally getting some usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well at least they didn't kill Suzie this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Awkward if River Song is watching, not sure they divorced yet

Not like she hasn't had her own fill of side action over the course of their marriage. I've wondered about the nature of the River/Doctor relationship. Herself and Eleven had all the chemistry of two kids forced into doing a kiss scene for a school play. Even the wedding itself was a "we need to do this to fix time" affair. Was a little bit better with Capaldi but still pretty forced. Whereas I was watching Groff and Gatwa thinking "those two are definitely banging each other off set".

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I am confused now as to the doctor numbering system if Richard E Grant's doctor has been made Canon again? My head hurts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I thought he was Doctor Simeon, whose form The Great Intelligence took on.

I missed that, must go back and look at the scene with the faces again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

My gripe, far too rushed in terms of a potential romance/partner

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Oooh that was a great episode - can't wait for the finale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

RTD has said that the jigsawing up of the Doctors past by the Trickster has sort opened up a lot of options and tied up a lot of loose ends cannon wise eg Valeyard, McGanns Doctor being half human, the Brain of Morbius Doctors, etc. Also that all of the Doctors past regenerations, also retroactivly bi regenerated. I assume this explain Grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Yasmin Finneys preformance has improved a lot since her last apperance. She was couldn't deliver a line of dialouge to save her life last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I have found most of the scripts to be paper thin in this series myself.

In fact, since Tennant departed only Capaldi has been able to carry these scripts in my view.

Maybe I am just an ould fart.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,021 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They pretty much mock The Doctor about the obviousness of the TARDIS anagram yet couldn't pick up on H Arbinger?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

The first half of this week's episode was the first time I could take Gatwa seriously as the Doctor. Then he started screaming and crying again and ruined things.

Just caught up with "Boom" and "73 Yards". "Boom" was okay, not the best of Moffat's work. "73 yards" was fantastic. It's amazing what RTD can deliver when he focuses on a character driven story that's light on action and fart jokes.

So went on a bit of a binge and caught up on everything. I'm feeling far more positive about the series than I was after watching the first two episodes. "Dot and Bubble" while the weaker of the later episodes was still a lot of fun. Really enjoyed the penultimate episode. Maybe it's the Disney production values but a lot of the typical RTD season finale conceits (like people getting possessed and repeating phrases over and over) seemed a lot less hokey this time round.

Bit of a shame with the Susan Twist reveal at the end, I think she could have been a really fun character in human form. Also a little disappointed there's no on-screen revisiting of Susan Foreman. Carole Ann Ford is still alive and kicking at 84, they should really try and bring her in for a cameo before she goes. Maybe there will be a surprise in the last episode, they've hinted at her twice so far this series.

I wonder will they tie in the strange woman from 73 yards in the finale as well. Be interesting to hear what she said that was so awful that even Ruby's adoptive mother would disown her. Guessing Ruby might be one of the Toymaker's offspring?

Ermm reveal who the strange woman was? It was revealed

• Advertisement

Reveal what the woman said to people that made them run in fear from Ruby.

Ok, RTD said it wouldn't be revealed so I doubt very much it will be in the finale.

Hoping Susan does make an appearance tho! Be a big red herring to keep teasing it and then go nowhere with it.

Well that was a bit of a let down (for several reasons and one big reason), silly but enjoyed it just enough but still expected more

• Registered Users Posts: 29,021 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That reveal was a big let down and made no sense with regard to all that happened.

So are there now 3 TARDIS's there with Tennant's, the proper one and the memory one?

Meant to ask after last week's episode, the Doctor said he can't cross over with his timeline, but how do multiple Doctors meet if that's the rule? Or is it okay if it's different incarnations?

He can cross but its dangerous to do if he changes his own timeline (or something like that) and then the time creatures come out feeding on the paradox

That episode proves that nobody in UNIT can actually act.

Another reset ?? Come on.

And all the sudden light bulb moments. Oh look, my ulcer has suddenly cleared up.

2/10.

I like the actress who plays Kate Stewart and the character is very likeable in the personable sense but she is hilariously incompetent most of the time. Also the hiring process seems to be "oh you managed to wander in here off the street. You'll do, welcome to the team". Like how on earth did Rose II manage to make it into the command centre team.

Disappointments aside, I actually really liked this episode overall and I credit that to Millie Gibson for the most part. I'll be seriously bummed if she is mostly absent from season 2. (I know she filmed a couple of scenes but not sure if she's a regular).

They really need to have Susan Foreman show up in the Christmas special. 3 teases now and a message about "reconnecting with family" at the end, surely they can't just gloss over it at this point.

Ruby has been a great companion, great on screen presence

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ruby has been the star of the show for me and has outshown The Doctor for the most part.

• Advertisement

I agree with all of the above comments about Ruby.

Blows what was there last season out of the water.

Advertisement