Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭BK5

Not in my house! :)

No way is Christmas allowed end on the 26th anywhere near me. My sister in law wrecks my head, she is one of the first to have the decorations up, but is taking them by New Years Eve 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

None of our activities finish up for the summer - we will still have something on every evening of the week, but sure lookit, will keep us in a routine! Although if the swimming was cancelled, giving me back my Saturday mornings, I wouldn't be devo!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,490 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

@Smell the glove Good Luck with the new house!

Am off to Slovakia for a few days this afternoon my friends so will report back on how cheap or dear it has got over there and will keep an eye out for anything Christmas related. See you in a few days, all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Enjoy! This day three weeks, we'll (hopefully) be in the car on the way to the ferry - definitely on a countdown now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Well I can confirm that Lanzarote was significantly cheaper than ireland for the vast majority of things, a real eye opener.

Didn't see anything remotely Christmas related though.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Lovely, enjoy! I had a lovely trip there a few years ago (2015 I think) when I went to Bratislava at the end of November and was there for the opening night of the Christmas Markets. I loved them, not majorly touristy (that may have changed) and so, so cheap. I remember they had hot drinks/schnapps of all flavours and they were €1.50 each so we tried a lot of them haha. I've just realised 2015 was 9 years ago, holy moly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭tscul32

@Smell the glove congrats on the house, great news.

The LC is going well so far, but now the elf is worried that there'll be a disaster with one of the other exams cos it's all going too well 😂. I'm supervising JC exams and they've all been fine too. Hate to see kids stressing over exams.

Big news, have just booked flights and hotel for Frankfurt for the Christmas markets and I can't wait. Been threatening to go for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Thanks for the well wishes again. Moving in now hopefully on Monday. Can't wait but at the same time dressing the next week or so with the packing/unpacking and worrying about everything and anything!

Just don't forget the Christmas decorations at everything else will be fine.

• Advertisement

So first few hours back to work after our summer holiday ended, roll on Christmas now!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Be careful you might still think you’re abroad With the weather out there it’ll be hard to tell the difference between here and Tenerife.

If only! Cant believe how damp & miserable it still is. WFH today & we have the heating on… its a week from the longest day of the year!!

Happy fathers day to all the dads, step dads, adopted dads, and grandads on here, have a good one chaps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Guys I was in unpacking stuff in the new house and noticed hooks at either side of the mantle piece, wife says I wonder what they are for, I said I'm guessing Christmas garland. She was then saying I just think too much about Christmas. Went outside noticed hooks all around the doorframe and stuff, I says I bet they were for Christmas lights whoever lived here before us must have loved Christmas.

We then noticed a white box and the outside wall just under the window. I hadn't a clue what it was, a mate that works in the construction industry was in with me so I asked....his reply?.......whoever lived here before you loved Christmas, it's cover for outdoor sockets for Christmas lights ha!

Vindicated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

Well, that's a sign if ever there was one :-) it's meant to be!

Speaking of outdoor sockets, I was thinking of getting that put on the house with a cover like you mentioned. It's either that or I'll need to go for battery powered lights. What do most of you do for outdoor lights and decorations? Any advice appreciated as I'm a newbie to that!

We have am outdoor socket box with a switch internally that means we can turn thrm off without needing timers or having to go outside. Game changer for us last year as up until then we had battery powered lights on timers and there's no comparison between battery and mains powered lights.

I have an outdoor waterproof double socket at the front of the house but also have a waterproof extension lead socket box as have too much stuff to plug up. As DvB said, no comparison between plug in and battery lights - plug in all the way.

That was my fourth time there in about 8 years and have to say it was dearer this time, still cheaper than Ireland but where isn't?

But eating out and pints def gone up especially cause of Covid I reckon. Weather was lovely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

We have the same here, waterproof double socket and socket box. Neighbour uses battery and solar lights and there’s no comparison.

• Advertisement

Just seen on the countdown that there is only 190 days to go tomorrow, halfway is so close I can almost taste it :)

I'm watching Love Actually!

Its 6 months exactly this day week! Rudolph Day 6 of 11!

I had a Christmas tree delivered today from Amazon. I ordered it a couple of weeks ago and it was for my small snug/ reading room. Was going to leave it boxed until Christmas but OH suggested opening it to check everything was ok. Good thing he did as it was absolutely dreadful. It’s honestly like something that would cost about €10 or €15 in Dealz and it cost me €80 so it’s being sent back for a refund. Very disappointing.

We bought a 6 foot pencil tree for the hall near the front door in the Range for €65 a couple of years ago and we are very happy with it, is a skinny tree the kind of thing you are looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I still can't believe how cold it is for June. I'm wearing my winter fleeces still.

Was just coming back on here to say the same thing, longest day of the year looming and my wife has turned on the heating to get the chill out of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I thought the weather was supposed to warm up this week. No such luck. I could have done with a scarf and gloves when I was out earlier! I heard on the radio that so far, June has been cooler than May, which is very unusual.

Just home from training, normally be in shorts and a t-shirt this time of year, but needed my lined tracksuit tonight it was that cold. And being honest a jacket would have been welcomed.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I’m looking for a small tree as it’s a really tiny room and I don’t want anything that will take over the room. I just saw this and it looked nice. I’ll hold off until later in the year so I can look at them in the shops, we have a Range store reasonably near us so I’ll definitely take a look there.

Advertisement