Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

anyone else notice the golf Ireland app now has a stupid banner running through the middle of your scores to click for the latest news

It’s annoying and stupid

i also get a pop up add sometimes when I log into the app…. And add for GI which I just have to hit x top right hand corner

what are they at??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭finglashoop

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Recently had my first 4BBB that counted for my GI handicap. My understanding is that you take 90% of each handicap, the lower handicap player gets assigned the gross score for hcap purposes and the higher gets assigned the gross score + the handicap difference.

As it happened, it didn't make such difference (my counting score was 1 shot lower than my individual score would have been) but you could see cases where it could be very penal if one of the pair was not contributing. For example, if one player didn't contribute at all and the other played really well.

What are peoples thoughts on it?

your understanding is either wrong or you are not explaining yourself correctly

yes your handicap in a fourball is 90%, but that is where that ends. there is no crossover or + handicap difference or assigning gross scores to anyone.

whoever scores on a hole, you mark their score against their name. (you can actually mark scores for both players… but might be system dependent)

if your team scores 42+ points, your handicap will be adjusted if your score counted at least 9 times

if your score is counting, your assigned score for holes where you didn't feature will be a net par if your partner scored 2 points or better, a net bogey where your partner scored 1 point or a net double when your team didn't score at all on the hole

so your point about it being penal if 1 player was not contributing at all is a bit off the mark as you have to contribute or it simply won't count!

my thoughts….

yes it could be a bit penal because someone could genuinely have 9 good holes on the card and 9 terrible holes on the card and walk off with a personal 30 points and still be allocated a 40 point score for their handicap record

but IMO it's a fair trade off and it's a good thing

9 counting scores it to many, should be 7

it's good that it's only applicable for higher scores. in other jurisdictions… all 4 ball scores count and you have to finish out every hole… so if your partner is in for par there could be a temptation to miss that 6 incher for your own par if you don't want to get cut (i've seen it happen). so our system is way better.

so in theory its basically aimed at cutting handicaps for big scores…. which practically or mathematically might not always be the case though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

I think you're mixing up with a matchplay situation (90% allowance) or the foursomes calculation for the overall team handicap (50% of team's total course handicap).

For standard 4bbb, your individual playing handicap = 85% of your course hc. So for example a course 11hc = playing 9hc (rounded). So you play off 9 and the best score of the pairing on a hole is what will "count". In principle, you're still playing yourself against the course albeit with a reduced hc.

One of the lads in my club had two good 4bbb scores (prize wins) so he's dropped by a shot as a result. This is great tbh. We all know the story of why is X not being cut for this?

On the other side of it, if someone plays poorly then don't get a bad score on their record. Because WHS didn't account for 4bbb in the past, some people would have done a general play card (rightly or wrongly). Now they shouldn't be doing that as the 4bbb now has it's own criteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

I love to get back to a world where there is a buffer zone:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Amen to that !! I want a world where your actual number of shots taken is your score 😀

Even more than one gross prize when there are up to 200 playing in a weekend competition would be nice:)

Count yourself lucky, its one more than we have in our place !😁😁

That is daft, there is no incentive to play in club competitions once you get to scratch or better, no time for 36 hole scratch cups so you end up with little to play for if you are in a club with a strong senior cup team. For me scratch in this system is about a 2 handicapper in the old system.

• Advertisement

I suppose in fairness, we probably wouldn't have half a dozen guys 5 or lower, well, maybe half a dozen or so. There probably wouldn't be much more in the 6-10 range either, less than 20 I'd say. Makes it easy to argue against a gross prize.

Its interesting though, with WHS, I see so many of the mid to high handicap players who have gained 2, 3, 4 or even more, shots with the new system (which seems to be fairly common across the board), I'm also seeing guys who would have always been, say in the 12-14 range and you hear they're now off 8 or 9. The voice in your head is kinda going "how ?". Guess it comes down to changing our longheld understanding or belief of what an X handicap should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I guess it's because you're comparing apples to oranges.

In the old system, a scratch handicap was what you played on the course

In the new system, a scratch index is not playing off that on the course, unless the slope is 113 and cr = par. They could be a +2 or a 5, depending on the course setup.

So you're comparing an index to a handicap, and they're fundamentally different things.

Not too relevant for most people joined a club in my opinion as if they look at their last 20 counting scores, it is probably 90% are from their own club.

I got a + handicap in the last year, I am nowhere near that level, for me the issue for lower players is their 7th/8th scores are still consistent & if there is one really good score then you are not moving much.

To verify that I was not going made, I took my last 20 scores at the time using what would have being the CSS off whether it was white/blue, etc tees and the +1 in the new system was close to 2 in the old system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I think you're misunderstanding my point. I was in essence saying that a scratch HANDICAP golfer under CONGU rules <> a scratch INDEX golfer under WHS.

Like has been said before, a scratch index under WHS is likely going to have an average score over their 20 rounds of probably 3-5 over.

They're 2 fundamentally different things and I think people have struggled with accepting that

I agree that they are not the same, I mentioned earlier that I would see scratch index roughly as the equivalent of a 2 handicapper under CONGU rules, also I know a 0.0 index could be scratch up to 4 handicap based on the course & tee markers that you play.

My point is for the course I am joined and most of the courses in my area that are popular, a 0.0 index is usually scratch off the whites and you might get to 2 off the blues though usually one.

In the old system CONGU rules, if I shot level par off the whites it would be 36pts, usual CSS was 38pts so it would be 0.1 back, now it is a score that returns an index which keeps you around scratch index.

The point I tried to make earlier is that when I got to -1.0, I took the 20 scores that accounted for that index, I used the CONGU system and the usual CSS and it brought me to 2 handicap where -1.0 index in my club is +1 off the whites and scratch off the blues.

This is what I do not find consistent, the same 20 scores on the old system gives me a 2 handicap whereas on the new system it gives me an index of -1.0 which gives me a playing handicap of either +1 or scratch depending on whether it is blue tees or white tees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭OEP

It's not supposed to be consistent with the old system

Consistent is the last word I would think of when comparing both systems:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭OEP

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭REFLINE1

Is there anyway to download your score history from GI website or Masterscoreboard? want to do a bit of analysis and rather than manually plugging them into excel was wondering if they could be pulled from somewhere.

just looked and can't see any export function

you can highlight and copy and paste

but its crap, all in one column

you could copy and paste each page in columns next to each other

then copy whole lot within excel and paste special and transpose

would still take some further cutting and pasting but a lot quicker than entering manually

• Advertisement

actually

im pretty sure i was able to export from club end when i was mucking around with it a while back… maybe ask your handicap sec if he can export information for yo

yes that might be the way to go but knowing them id be quicker to manually type the scores in myself 😂

Short answer for GI is no and Masterscoreboard I'm not familiar with. I was looking for the same thing with GI/Clubv1 to help my club's handicap lads but to no avail. Maybe in future they'll make it easier. For now I think you need to manually do it or try to dump the page to excel/pdf in some way and manipulate it. Some smart person probably knows how to use python/data scraping tools to extract it but that is well beyond my means.

Thanks. I just bit the bullet and spent a few hours last night plugging them into excel. I've a spreadsheet going where its working out my course/hole index based on my average scores at home course. An interesting exercise. My Index 1 based on my scores is the course index 2 but my index 2,3 & 4 are course index 7,13 &15. There's some obvious low hanging fruit in terms of my strategy on those holes for instance. I've excluded extreme outliers and result is pretty much the same holes I'm clocking up big scores on.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭bobster453

Does Howdidido not include this or similar in Stats section?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Fotish

I see the 12 hole and 14 hole competitions are now counting for Handicap purposes.

Do the 12 hole competitions have to start on the first hole or can the competition start some other place on the course , say the 4th hole ?

Ask your Handicap Secretary to email you a copy of your Handicap Certificate, you are entitled to that.

It will be in PDF format and can be downloaded and edited .

You need to complete a full 9 hole (rated) course minimum and then the system finishes the rest.

So if you play 1-10 holes it will calculate for 11-18 using an algorithm. The same if you play 1-15, 16-18 get calculated.

The algorithm is based on the expected score for your handicap on a course of "standard difficulty".

Note that if holes are turned off it doesn't work. Eg hole 4 on the front is closed and you play 1-3, 5-13. You can't get a WHS counting score as you haven't played a full 9-hole rate course (eg 1-9 or 10-18).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just to add to that, once a full 9 is played, the other 9 can be sliced and diced. Our 10 hole (1-10) moved to a 13 hole this week (1-11,15, and 18).

The move to qualifying has been a huge success in our club imo. Average winning scores are down about 5 shots and lets just say that the winners enclosure has a new lease of life.

We had a 21 win the 10 hole one week. 31 wasn't unusual last year.

• Advertisement

Thank you for that, it sounds entirely sensible.

I couldn’t find anything about it on GolfIreland, do you know of anyplace it is documented so I can reference it to people making enquiries to me, thanks .

When you say scores have been reduced this year, is that because players Handicap Indices have been reduced ( because of the new 12 hole 14 hole course rules ? )

Advertisement