Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

##Mod Note##

Below standard posts removed.

Let's steer clear of sweeping generalisations and stereotyping please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭Enzokk

One of the latest Newsagents podcasts has Lewis Goodall walking around an area with candidates and it is just frightening the views that people hold.

It is from around 21 minutes or so. The same talking points around immigration that was heard 8 years ago. I understand that we do not want to tar everyone with the same brush and make stereotypes and sweeping generalisations, bit it does seem that a lot of areas are forgotten in the UK and have been left in the past, but the people seem to be stuck there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I have to laugh at the painting of the D-day gaff as being the thing that kills Sunak's campaign. He was dead long before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Farage has patched the BBC interview. The man crumbles under any sort of scrutiny but will still appeal to his base

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I also think that there's an awful lot of stretching going on with attacking Sunak's decision to leave Normandy early. Sure, it was politically myopic to say the least, but it's kinda mildly galling to see him get hauled over the coals by self righteous people who'd struggle to name the five beaches that were invaded on June 6th or which nations forces landed on which beach.

• Advertisement

That will not matter as to most of those self righteous people, 'Britain' was the only one that mattered and the other nations just followed 'Britain'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't really see what being able to name the 5 beaches has to do with being upset your leader isn't there when the rest of the western world is commemorating the event.

i get irked when people stand on soapboxes and point fingers at people about something they have little understanding of themselves. I guess I'm just funny like that.

Plus I think there's waaaay too much being made out of Sunak's silly move. Things really should have moved on by now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I completely disagree. Sure, most Brits either have little to no knowledge of their own country's history or don't care about it in general but the idea of remembrance is of paramount importance here. TfL slap poppies on the front of the trains, there are poppy pizzas and so on. Is it absurd? Honestly, some of it absolutely is but it's seen as important and if I, some lad with an internet connection, knows that, the PM really should.

This should have been the easiest points scored in history but he's so useless he somehow ballsed it up because why? He couldn't bear being photographed with Biden, Macron and Scholz?

As an Irish person, I've no interest in lionising the British army, past or present but it's basic common sense that this should have been done and done properly. It just makes him look like someone who only cares about denuding the country for himself and his friends.

FWIW, I got a measly one beach - Omaha.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's not the worst thing they have done over the last number of years, but it was so mind bogglingly stupid and such a poor judgement call that it deserves some coverage. Alas no one gets to choose what political events end up having salience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Randycove

there seems to be a major effort at the moment to portray Starmer as a statesman. Someone who is above petty populist politics and is big enough for the tough decisions. Like not calling for a ceasefire in Gaza too soon and shaking hands with Zelensky to show that this labour leader is fully on his side. Because of the latter, there was a big push from his aides to get him at the world leaders do, when he wouldn’t normally have been invited.
    Because he was there and Sunak wasn’t, it is a huge win for Labour and there is no way it is going to be dropped.
    In a non election year, other than the usual Farage type racist sound bites, it would have been forgotten by now.

For sure, and all Starmer has to do is keep quiet and say nothing and let the Tories continue to implode as they seem wont to do. But I'm sure there's a damn sight more pressing matters with which to attack Sunak on than his decision to leave Normandy early, and concentrating on that for a week just comes off as cheap.

Do you not remember the feeding frenzy against Jeremy Corbyn because 'he did not bow enough' at the Remembrance Day Cenotaph?

A statesman like saying 'Israel has the right to… cut food and water to a civilian population'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

The problem is Sunak was promoting the idea of national service only days/weeks before the D Day events. Leaving early shows an immense lack of disrespect and hypocrisy.

It also annoys his base, the people who care most about events like these. His decision upset practically all voters and those least likely to be upset at the decision are those who would be very unlikely to vote for him anyway.

Yes in terms of decisions that have a practical impact on voters Sunak and the conservatives have made much much bigger mistakes(not looking at you Brexit). However he was behind in the polls and leaving the D Day events early was a spectacular misjudgement. Yes it arguably has no practical impact on voters but it very much highlights his judgement in a way that less flashy if more impactful(at least on the ground) can't.

The problem is Sunak was promoting the idea of national service only days/weeks before the D Day events.

Oh for sure and the irony certainly wasn't lost on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,077 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I do, I know myself better than a randomer, UK politics is boring , Funny Labour will be more entertaining

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Randycove

attacking Sunak on this gives a break from attacking him for marrying a billionaire’s daughter.

If they stick to that, then they don’t have to worry about breaking promises when they get in.

Corbyn must live rent free in Starmer's head. He, of course, is referring to the manifesto he helped prepare, fully endorsed and went to the people with it and got elected. The man was either lying then or is lying now either way he is a liar

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It just means that corbyn is now a by-word for disaster artist.

• Advertisement

Some of this though is just unnecessarily insulting your own voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Sunak will have been hoping that his manifesto speech would take the attention away from his D-Day debacle.

Here he is arriving for his ITV interview and it's even worse for him than I originally thought, this won't go down well with a lot of people.

ITV must have een delighted when they realised they had that apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

He says an example of him going without when he was younger was he didnt have access to sky tv……

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

There is a lot of political story gold about this morning it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

When he was younger, not having Sky was the posh thing - "whats the box on a satellite dish called? a council house" being a joke of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭yagan

I have this image of Sunak winning £5 bets from his uni mates for saying things like not having SkyTv.

You can just tell that spiritually he's already sunning himself on a yacht in the med.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Next he'll be telling us how he had to unwrap the Viscount biscuits all by himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Sunak has got to be pulling the piss out of the Tories now. This is Bojo levels of shithousery

Advertisement