Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Michan's mummified remains destroyed by fire

Options
  • 11-06-2024 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭

Very sad. Deliberate too. Such a shame.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0611/1454267-st-michans-church/

Five mummified remains destroyed in Dublin crypt fire.

An investigation is under way after a man set fire to the crypt at St Michan's Church of Ireland in Dublin.

The vicar of the church said five mummified remains were destroyed during the efforts to put the blaze out before it took hold.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

You'd have to wonder if it's the same guy who tried to destroy them previously and went to jail for it a couple of years ago.

Either way it's incredibly disappointing that this cultural vandalism has 1. occurred and 2. that lessons weren't learned from the previous attempt.

Edit to add 12.06.2024: He's just been named on RTE and it's not the same guy.

Post edited by some random drunk on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

Disgraceful $hit. Whoever is responsible for the repeated attacks on this historical structure needs to be locked up for a long time.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

The last lad got left off light because he had "mental health problems" and he was given a fools pardon. Society really needs to get tough on that sort of thing. Open Spike Island back up again and 50 laps around the Island before breakfast every morning will do a lot of curing instead of this Butlins approach of Castlerea and Arbour hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Its the same sort of crap artists that did the Freemasons Hall in Molesworth and that church in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

I went to see this church on a solo historical walkabout of Dublin city centre back in January 2019. It was like visiting a mini peaceful walled oasis right in the centre of the most hectic and busy part of Dublin. Whatever gadge has a problem with this place is seriously wrong and needs to be treated as such.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is a horrendous shame; one of the most iconic pieces of dublin history destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

I remember going there as a kid, a crying shame

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I was there on a school tour in the 80s and it was fascinating. I visited it once when I lived in Dublin.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the last fella I’m reading who robbed the heads was given a custodial sentence by Martin Nolan of all people…but got kid gloves treatment because of ‘mintil hilth’ issues..

If, it’s a repeat performance of sorts I’d say even the Nolan fella would go to town on them… Arson is no joke.

Fond memories too of being brought there as a kid both a school tour and my family….

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Vandalism. Trying to wreck history.

Do we have a motive or anything?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I can’t understand people who kick the heads off flowers or think pointing a shotgun at another creature and pulling the trigger is a worthwhile use of time.
    What is going through the head of someone who burns down a derelict building? I don’t know. But how someone doesn’t pause when they are about to burn human remains and about to burn down a medieval church is beyond me.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭pretty boy floyd

St Michans is such a unique place. I visited as a young lad and was amazed. A few years ago I returned with my wife (as an emigrant) and we were shown around, along with other tourists, by an eccentric but very well informed guide. To have done this to the place is just so depressing.

Post edited by pretty boy floyd on

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭REDBULL68

Sickened by this destruction of our heritage, I thought they had it secured, as was reported at the time ,to stop future destruction, but obviously not ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

What would have been the motivation to target it? I'm not well versed on the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

How do scrotes keep breaking into the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Good question as we don't have full details yet, but its possible the arsonist struck during an afternoon tour of the vaults (crypts), when the hatches to both are open as tourist's follow the guide leaving one to enter the other, or maybe it was a break-in with an angle grinder or crowbar? We'll have to wait to hear the full details. Apparently most of the damage is from water (one foot deep) to put out the fire. Sounds like the end of the tourist attraction to me, with the five main mummies destroyed for eternity and all the other coffins & remains sloshing about in water.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Modulok

I first heard of these mummies when they were mentioned in a Victorian ghost story by the horror novelist MR James (Lost Hearts). Imagine, they were there for hundreds of years until one non-entity wrecked them. He should be mummified to take their place!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Goodigal

Was just talking to my son about this. Infuriating that one individual can destroy what's an amazing attraction in the middle of my city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

It is a horrendous fact that centuries of history can be destroyed in one moment by either forces of nature, or at the hands of one single individual whose mindset is focussed on the destroy button. One Single Person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

listening to the news, it happened during a tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

was in there a few times,as someone above said so peaceful and also so fascinating,one of them was supposed to be one of the crusaders,was he damaged again? such a shame some of our history has been destroyed…maybe (hopefully) the damage can be repaired…? and hopefully (wishful thinking) the fcukwit that did this serves a proper sentence…

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'll never understand people who deliberately destroy things, nevermind historical remains.

Forget mickey mouse prison sentences, I'd impose a lifelong 25% reduction on all gross income including all social welfare payments - children's allowance, living alone and fuel allowances etc, the lot. That would then be given to agencies who preserve historical and cultural buildings, artifacts and remains. No ifs, ands, buts or sob stories and I'd include the Just Stop Oil idiots in that too.

A scumbag just destroyed nearly 1000 years of history, it's equally senseless and infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,268 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What T actual F is wrong with people that do this? Scribbling on a passage grave? Throwing paint over the Lia Fail and hacking pieces off it? Are they mentally ill?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

"Archdeacon Pierpoint said the mummified bodies have been "destroyed" and "damaged beyond repair," and said he will ask the National Museum to carry out an inspection of the crypt and the mummies."

It seems from this that the crusader remains have been destroyed. An awful thing, no punishment of the idiot who did this will undo the damage done.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,915 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's far worse this time. Looks like the 800 year old crusader mummy has actually been destroyed. From what I'm reading they used a lot of water to put the fire out, so the mummies were submerged.

There really is nothing worse than seeing cultural destruction of something during your lifetime when it's been there for hundreds of years. History let down by our generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Why was there no security guard protecting the building?

Such a shame when history goes up in flames.

Historians are still grieving about the Customs House fire a hundred years ago. Although to be fair, millions of rare Irish historical artifacts were destroyed in that fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Why did god allow this to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Im surprised the far right have not jumped on this, trying to say it was an offended muslim refugee.

Although i doubt they have the IQ to know about the crusades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

All their mental faculties are dedicated to being as woke with the gang as possible. No more capacity for history or anything else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement