Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think we are a decent manager away from not looking completely hapless against half decent half motivated opposition. You lads want to normalise this level of performance, getting played off the park in a home qualifier to Greece / not being able to adjust to simple tactical switches by the great Ronald Koeman. But that’s complete nonsense, this level of effort and competitiveness is absolutely not normal.

A half decent manager will be able to improve things. Qualifying is a whole other planet to the Kenny regime. Improvement is not being eliminated after two games. It’s complete zealotry to think Kenny was getting anything near what this group of players are capable of out of them. Hopefully we get an actual manager somewhat qualified at this level next so we can see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The problems we have upcoming…….

USA 2026 qualifying consists of smaller groups where only the top team goes to the finals automatically. Second place + Nations League goes to the playoffs.

Playoffs are seeded.

And our Nations League group…….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

We got beaten by the better team, no shame in that. The real problem is that we don't have a full time manager. The games that O Shea managed would have been a great time for the new manager to get a feel for the job and the players. That chance is wasted and the new manager goes straight into the deep end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

oh, was it not, how is Tom Cannon on the list so.

Obafemi? A good performance against Scotland two years ago and not much else puts him near the top of your list? I’m not sure about your “list”.

It is not “a bit of a stretch” to say that players want certainty and want to know who the manager is and they and everyone else knew that Stephen Kenny was a lame duck manager months before his contract expired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Kenny absolutely underperformed as manager but he’s only a manager. Suggesting the players are still underperforming because of him is as mad as saying he should have been kept on.

If a new manager comes in and underperforms then that’s on him. Kenny is gone and hasn’t been of any relevance to the team since he left.

He was the best option but apparently there was some on the committee at the FAI that thought they knew better and we’ve ended up with no one at all. How would you know if managing in Romania is too high a level for him?

Richie Sadlier did a podcast interview with Damien Duff there recently and he had plenty of good things to say about his time at Celtic working with Neil Lennon and how he saw it as a vital experience as he embarks on his own managerial career. Is Damien Duff another “Celtic head” in your book? Lennon is unavailable because he has moved on, we haven’t is the point.

We are a decent manager away from making this group of players more competitive in future qualification campaigns.

His football was worse. Tippy tappy nonsense across the back line for the sake of it and then ended up hoofing it forward anyway. He was clueless.

A new manager hasn’t come in is the point. It’s been John O’Shea in a limbo caretaker role.

This is exactly the point I have been making for months but we had some on here inexplicably arguing that it makes no difference if we throw a manager in at the deep end next September when there was opportunity to appoint a manager for these games and use them to familiarise himself with the players. The chance was wasted and to attempt to argue otherwise is ludicrous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

How can anyone believe this, I suppose you think anyone but the brilliant Kenny would also have Dunne, Walters, Randolph, McShane and Green all starting aswell? Kenny didn't pick a single outside the box player. He still resorted to Enda Stevens, James McClean, Will Keane et al when needed the idea he was a messiah for youth players is just nonsense.

I get its just a coping mechanism to retcon Kenny's uselessness, but the idea any manager would ignore Ferguson/Idah for the retired Walters/Long is just comical. And ignores the elephant that is why were Egan/Doherty/Duffy getting minutes over Cashin, Ebosele, McNamara, McNally, Scales et al. if Kennys priority was blooding the next generation?

And the fantasy that the FAI giving more money to LOI clubs would help is insane as while granted some clubs would take advantage others would just blow the money worse than the FAI are. The league doesnt need more Zahibo's and Abibi's. Until all clubs get their houses in order throwing more good money after bad won't fix anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Can we never talk about Neil Lennon again please, he threatened a woman he was having an affair with.  

"telling her someone “could” put a knife to her throat if she spoke out."

He should never have been considered for the Ireland job. It wasn't just some tabloid thing. Plenty of **** people in football, we don't need one managing our national team. It would have been a circus. There was literally a TD saying he can't be hired when news broke he was interviewed, that was not going away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Kenny brought through ogbene in fairness to him. Who was only a league one player. No need to say he had no legacy although the thing about he picked a squad of completely new players that no one else would select is completely nonsense.

It was just a tabloid story. There was no charges brought, no court case. An English tabloid newspaper story from several years ago, nothing else to it.

He would have been a sound appointment. Would have done a solid job especially in the short to medium term. We’re still discussing him because we appointed no one at all. You’re right that there’s no real point in continuing to discuss Lennon because he has moved on but we’re still discussing him because we haven’t. We are left with a circus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Given Shane Duffy was called up weeks after bring charged with drunk driving, I can't see why the FAI would take a moral stance by not hiring Lennon because of allegations against him.

Was any of this actually confirmed?

you’re entitled to your opinion on lennon’s aptness and capability for the role.

It is very much a minority opinion as is the opinion from others that Damien duff is ready and qualified for coaching a job as high profile as the Irish MNT.

if you were talking to someone, who would you have more time for: the person who crashed a car while over the limit or a person that had been rumored to threaten with knifing their mistress?

it’s all a bit moot since Lennon even without the accusations wasn’t a compelling choice. If you think Lennon is compelling than that’s ok but it wouldn’t be a widely held opinion.

yes he is, if Josh gets the job we can certainly come back to that point. I personally think Josh has little to no chance of being appointed full time although there is an outside chance he takes the nations league games

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Well I think the majority of us Ireland soccer fans would like Pep to be the Ireland manager but if we’re talking about realistic candidates who were actually interested in the job and had a decent CV in senior football management then I think your view of what exactly constitutes “minority opinion” is very much arbitrary in my opinion.

I have no idea what you’re basing that on given the shambles the FAI have made of finding a successor to Stephen Kenny.

If O’Shea gets the Nations League games they will have to offer him a contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

would big Sam take the job? or would the money not be enough. That is who should get the job if he wants it. a proper manager but I think most the team dont have the guts and hunger for even the best manager in the world to make them win games.

To my knowledge it wasn’t and was only ever a tabloid story from when Lennon was managing Bolton years ago. Since then he has had at least 4 senior managerial appointments; Hibernian, return to Celtic, Omonia Nicosia and now Rapid Bucharest, with varying degrees of success and failure and accumulated experience. So the tabloid story from several years ago apparently prevented him from being appointed to the Ireland job but not the other 4 senior club positions.

Maybe some on the committee at the FAI feel there must be a very high PC bar set for being appointed the Ireland senior manager, higher than those club jobs mentioned. Their alternative so far has been to appoint no one at all.

So it’s an arbitrary opinion of mine that Neil Lennon wouldn't have being a popular choice around February this year to be Irish manager?…it’s hard to debate with points so disconnected from reality so I’ll refrain from replying to anything you post in future.

Moyes is not at that age. Maybe in 10 years when he’s the wrong side of 70. For now he’s in his coaching prime.

A lot of those you mentioned would be outside of the €700 k a year salary range. Of those you mentioned I’d go with Moyes but they would need to find some billionaire tax exile to supplement the salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Some people don't value us being competitive unless it fits a certain perceived style.

We are stuck in a hard place.

There should be a very high bar, and I would prefer no manager to someone with those accusations, you can brush it off all you want, but that says a lot about you, as it does those clubs. We all have differen't values, and I do want our manager to not be that kind of person. Of course he's going to deny it, and of course no charges were brought, it's almost impossible to get convictions for something even more serious let alone just being threatened.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Threatening someone with a knife being a bad thing falls under "political correctness" for you? What.

• Advertisement

You’re claiming that it would have been an unpopular decision which is your opinion. That opinion is merely your opinion and not at all based on reality, it’s just your opinion. You appear to be confused.

Outside the box punt for me would be Ranieri. I thought he had just retired outright but supposedly he is still open to taking a national job. So while I'd think he'd be outside of our price if his choices are between retirement/punditry or managing Ireland we might have a chance.

This is amazing. You’re calling into question my values and the values of the 4 senior football clubs mentioned because they didn’t rule out a manager being allowed to continue in his job and to be considered for jobs based on nothing more than a tabloid newspaper story?

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say there. For me it was a tabloid newspaper article with no charges brought and I think that the fact that he has been appointed to several senior management roles since then says more than any tabloid newspaper story would ever say.

More so the fact that you brushed it off as nothing more than a tabloid story. Have you looked at who Hibs just hired, they have no values.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

You think they just completely made it up? Surely he could take them to the cleaners in that case?

• Advertisement

I haven’t “brushed off” anything. It was only a tabloid newspaper story. There was no court case or even charges brought.

Who has Hibs just hired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I have no time for Lennon, though he'd be more qualified than Josh.

That said, it is harsh that rumours about him were (allegedly) enough to keep the FAI away from him when proof against Duffy doesn't stop him getting selected. Its a bizarre moral compass.

Was it confirmed that Lennon didn't get the job because of these rumours or is it just copium for people thinking he was unfairly overlooked?

I have no idea. Maybe he just wanted the story to go away and bringing it to court wasn’t worth it. It hasn’t prevented him from getting several senior club jobs in different countries since then.

• Advertisement

No it was not confirmed at all. the reason he was given, according to him, was his lack of international experience

You're literally brushing it off now, repeatedly. This is a stupid waste of time talking in circles. I've said what I think and I mean it.

Malkay MacKay

Malkay MacKay came in a while back, I know a Hibs fan who has walked away from supporting the the club over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

watched a lot of Cannon in his time with PNE playing with Parrott, that’s why he’s on there for me. Just really impressed me with his finishing and runs and pace. Has had a tough past season, but there’s something special in there, like Oba imo.

Idah I think weirdly would be a better option for us if we were better - he seems great for finishing close in chances, and following up on saved shots etc, but so much of the life of an Irish striker is spent very far from goal, so I personally favour lads with legs and a bit of skill and magic that can make something happen. Would also favour 2 up playing closer together rather than 3 spread across the pitch.

And it’s ok if you don’t like my list… it is only my list.

Again I’m not “brushing off” anything just because you keep repeating that I am doesn’t make it so. You’re talking about talking in circles?; you appear to have a problem with facts. It was a story pertaining to his personal life that appeared in a tabloid newspaper, there was no court case or charges of any kind brought.

He’s not getting the job so that’s that and he has moved on to a different job; meanwhile we’re still looking for a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

had been thinking of him too… Trap 2.0 - would certainly be good fun anyway! Might be a nice retirement job for him.

I did like the look of Cannon but it was a very brief appearance.

I did think the formation last night was a bit confusing. If you’re going with 3 up top then I don’t think you go 5 at the back with wing backs? A 3 - 5 - 2 would be better but your wing backs need to be mobile and our wing backs were ageing Seamus Coleman and Robbie Brady. A flat back 5 left us light in midfield.

You think minimizing it as a "tabloid story" isn't brushing it off. That was the point.

It's cool, we can let it go. I stand by thinking he should have never been considered.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod: Can we move on from the never-ending discussion of Neil Lennon please. It's becoming tiresome. He has not and will not be appointed as Irish manager in this cycle so there is no need to hash it out further in this thread.

You know, I was never really on the Manning hype train, and found some of the desperate calls for his inclusion online a bit OTT at times but it seems strange how successive managers don't really seem to rate him. Russell Martin was very keen to bring him along to Southampton, he's doing ok if unspectacular, not a huge success, but he was still getting decent game time for the best team he's even been at. I think he lacks a bit of Dynamism to play LWB at a really high level but to not even be a squad option is odd, when we probably have a few weaker footballers still in and around the place. I love Robbie Brady for what he's done in the past for Ireland, but I think his body has failed him over the last few years and he just won't ever be the player he was, and while I think McClean always got a bit of a raw deal from fans he also shouldn't be coming back at this stage.

I'd rather pick between Doherty, O' Dowda, Manning and Scales tbh, even if we went to a more conventional back 4. I'm not sure O' Dowda is ever going to work out as a full back either, and I respect his willingness to show up and play wherever he's asked, but he's another one you'd have had high hopes for that it's just not really gone anywhere. I really think between Left Back and CM, until we sort it we're an a hiding to nothing. Hoping that Scales is still finding his feet and will improve, while Doherty is a mystery, career has stagnated so badly, excellent footballer, can play anywhere along the back, he could be great but is he ever fully match fit? He has been such a let down, really desperately need players to sort their club situations out and be playing, which feels like a tale as old as time, but now that we have less stars to drag us along to greater heights I think it's more important than ever.

I think we're all fairly on board with O' Shea not getting the job now, but I really wish he used the 4 games to give more opportunities to younger players again. It's an incredibly tough job to walk in to now for whoever comes next with the fixtures the way they are.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement