Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Very easy to take out but you need to leave any money paid in for a minimum of 90 days. Make the effort to sign up to the web service and you can do it all online. Probably easiest to start off by paying in some money at the Post Office first. The form you need to fill in can be downloaded and the PO will do everything for you there and then.

Easy way online

https://www.statesavings.ie/help-support/help-articles/how-do-i-cash-in-one-of-my-products-in-state-savin

More effort by post

https://www.statesavings.ie/help-support/help-articles/withdrawal-request-repayments

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Positives are:

• your capital is guaranteed by the Irish Government (apart from the impact of inflation) and you can get it back at any time after 90 days from the date the prize bonds are purchased
    • you could one one of the "larger" prizes (Currently these are 12x €500k, 52x €50k, 1040x €1k, 1040x €500 annually)
    • you have the excitement of checking your results every Friday, and even if you win nothing all you money is still there for next week's draw
    • Any wins are free of Irish Taxes (DIRT, income, CGT etc)

Negatives are:

€75 wins in year

Chance of wins

None

21%

33%

26%

13%

4 or more

7%

• Based on the current prize structure, the current size of the fund and the current nominal 1% prize fund rate, your €15k holding's chances of one or more €75 wins per annum are as per the above table. Obviously you could do better or worse than this
    • The current nominal prize rate at 1% is very low compared to the rates on offer for deposits and bonds generally, compared to where it was historically. You may be able to get a substantially better rate elsewhere, even allowing for tax etc
    • Your chances of a "large" win are very remote. There are approx 750,000,000 prize bonds in issue and 2,144 "large" prizes annually. You'd get better odds on Gemma O'Doherty being the Minister for Justice and Enoch Burke being the Minister for Education in the next Government

If you do decide to proceed you should, as @The Continental Op suggests, register for an online State Savings account. It saves the hassle of having to deal directly with the State Savings and their copious forms and inconsistent and unreliable manual processes.

Good luck should you decide to proceed.

Post edited by Hibernicis on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

how long does it take to receive post when you sign up for first batch in post office?

Think mine was a full week maybe a bit longer but not 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Great post thanks very much , I had thought my Dad who had passed away held prize bonds, is there a way to check this, it never really came up until i looked at it myself, do past winners expire etc much appreciated again, the Doherty\Enoch Burke analogy made me laugh out loud :)

• Advertisement

I did this in the UK for my dads premium bonds. You need a death cert and proof of your ID etc etc etc NS&I are a pain to deal with in the UK so I guess is won't be much easier here.

Found this https://www.statesavings.ie/help-support/help-articles/initiate-deceased-case which should help.

Post edited by The Continental Op on

As I got thanked when I asked about posting UK premium bond wins I'll carry on.

Premium bonds are monthly draws.

£150 on £50000 for June (May £300).

Glad you found the post useful.

Regarding your father’s holding, if you read up the links on this page it will guide you through the process

https://www.statesavings.ie/help-support/help-articles/bereavement-guide-support

A couple of points to bear in mind.

There are two different forms/procedures, one for prize bonds and one for all other state savings products. I suggest you complete both, on the off chance that in addition to the possibility of prize bonds your father/parents could have had a savings cert or two (these were sometimes given as wedding presents etc in the past)

State Savings will conduct a search based on the info you give them. Based on the evidence I’ve seen their search capabilities are extremely poor, often yielding less than 50% of a persons holding. You can improve your chances by giving them the maximum possible amount of information, e.g. all variations of name and all addresses at which the person resided.

See also this post that I wrote last year:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nothing for me today. The number of €75 prizes in the June draws is 9,124 down from 9,172 in May.

The newest number to win on 03 May was BGK826079. Newest 07 June BGP773709. Sales of around €31 million.

Just checked Prize bonds nothing today on 5k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

€75 today. Saw article in paper during the week that more PBs are being cashed in these days than are being bought.

Post edited by tuisginideach on

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭POBox19

Yes, that's right. As a consequence the number of prizes awarded has been dropping since last June.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

I found it encouraging to see an AH048993 from Leitrim won the 50k today, it's a long time since an old bond won top prize, I've 13 AH bonds myself, the series AH was between July 1986 and the spring of 1987, 3 other AH bonds won €75 euro AH415419 won €75 euro very close to one of my AH bonds, mine is AH4153—, literally very close but not close enough.

2 wins for the Greek bonds €75.

Nothing for yours truly.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 7th June 2024: €0

Last win 7th July 2023: €50

Total winnings on €25k from Feb 2011 to date: €3300

2011: €75 x 4 = €300

2012: €75 x 6 = €450

2013: €50 x 12 = €600

2014: €50 x 9 = €450

2015: €50 x 5 = €250

2016: €50 x 5 = €250

2017: €50 x 4 = €200

2018: €50 x 2 = €100

2019: €50 x 6 = €300

2020: €50 x 5 = €250

2021: €50 x 1 = €50

2022: €50 x 1 = €50

2023: €50 x 1 = €50

2024: €0 x 0 = €0

Nothing for me today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Not surprised, I used to average about €50 x 2 a month but winnings have now completely dried up, feel like cashing it all in and maybe getting a new car or something.

received today, 1 day short of 2 weeks

tried to register online now to buy more but it still won't allow me

got no State savings number with the bonds

it has a prize bond customer number but that won't work

pps number doesn't work either

can anyone who has done this recently shed any light on what else might be needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭POBox19

@Seve OB

You'll need to send this form along with the evidence of identity to State Savings to get your SSCN. Did someone mention that it takes a while? There is a good post at #9028 from @Hibernicis explaining the process.

https://www.statesavings.ie/media/pdf/online-purchases-form.pdf

Did you get your bonds? SSCN is on the bottom of them.

You also get at least two letters telling you what you SSCN is if you sign up in the PO including a paper card with the number on. Just checked and one of my letters with the SSCN came a month after the first letter which included the paper card with the SSCN on it.

thought that all I needed to do was buy them in a post office. they don't make this simple!

I received a single letter

"We refer to your recent purchase of Prize Bonds

This Prize Bond certificate is issued in accordance ……."

Goes on to list numbers and values in a box

I presume that is the actual bonds

there is no SSCN number on the bottom

I'll wait to see if I get another letter before filling any more forms in

• Advertisement

They fairly slow so I wouldn't be worrying. Any forms you fill in will just take another couple of weeks to get processed so I'd wait.

In that box you refer to on all my certificates the last line states State Savings Customer Number:

They stopped printing the SSCN on the Prize Bond Certificates at the end of 2022. It isn't appearing on any bond I received in 2023 or 2024. No idea why they chose to do this.

Its on all my bonds bought since 2022. Most of mine were bought June - December 2023.

@Seve OB

You could call them on 0818 205060 / 01 7057200, quote your PB numbers and ask them for you SSCN. Failing that you should complete the form that @POBox19 linked to in post #9941

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

My experience was pretty seamless. Signed up in the post office on Friday 31st and provided a draft. Bonds issued on the 6th (no win on the 7th) and a letter arrived on Monday 10th with instructions, my SSCN and a PIN to log into the website. All sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

€75. Four X €75 wins since late April from the same batch!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 14th June 2024: €0

Last win 7th July 2023: €50

Total winnings on €25k from Feb 2011 to date: €3300

2011: €75 x 4 = €300

2012: €75 x 6 = €450

2013: €50 x 12 = €600

2014: €50 x 9 = €450

2015: €50 x 5 = €250

2016: €50 x 5 = €250

2017: €50 x 4 = €200

2018: €50 x 2 = €100

2019: €50 x 6 = €300

2020: €50 x 5 = €250

2021: €50 x 1 = €50

2022: €50 x 1 = €50

2023: €50 x 1 = €50

2024: €0 x 0 = €0

Someones luck is only going to change if they set up a new user account here named pbloser24

Just been out to check mine - no mobile coverage at home so need to take an expectational trip down the road to get a signal.

Nothing on 5k (last win November €50).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Invested on 6th May 2024.

7th May - No win

14th May - €75

Advertisement