Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 DCM Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭rosenallis

Not bad. Got around in 44 minutes without stopping and was happy with it. Have gone a couple of minutes faster at 5 miles before but i was happy at this level

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Rossi7

If you are close to Tallaght AC, they have 3 Pilates classes on every Wednesday evening. If you need more details drop me a DM or anyone else for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mossiepark

I got out for a 13 k run this afternoon in the Phoenix Park. Challenging now but I felt good. Managed it in 68 minutes.

Felt like a very long run.....makes the idea of 42k very daunting but time yet to get there I guess

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Slow it down and see how you fare. 14.41km for me yesterday was 1 hour 32 and 12.1k tonight was 76 minutes. All by feel aimed at keeping it easy. I can do local routes, know the distance and not care about what's on the watch because my body guides my easy runs. We are not trying to 'police' every run by the time based outcome day in, day out. That would get frustrating. It's about having a bank of easy runs over several months to allow you to complete the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Agree with what @The Black Oil has said, and you will hear it many more times over the coming months: slow down. Our run today determines how or if we will run tomorrow. Easy runs will make up most of your weekly mileage and this will be done at conversational pace. That means if you can't run and hold a conversation at that pace, you're going too fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭TheRef

Can you explain what you mean by very long run? Was it just the amount of time running, or more the prolonged effort to run the pace you were doing?

You mentioned in your earlier post that you managed a 10mile in 83 mins. As an aside, that was about 3 mins quicker than I was doing in Spring 2022 and I went on to finish in 4:11 after a poor last 10k (very poor last 5k). So, sub 4 is certainly realistic with a solid training plan (btw: I followed the boards plan and think it is fantastic).

Your pace on your 13k was 5:14/km. That's just 5 seconds per km slower than your 10mile pace that you said you needed a few months off to recover. (Pfitzinger has 5:14 as a tempo pace based in your 10 mile time).

As the others have said, you really do need to slow down. Training for a marathon is grueling and you do need to run most of your runs (80%+) at an easy pace or you'll be mentally and physically worn out if not injured. It's likely your easy pace would be about 5:50-6:20 per km, but that depends on a number of things. These runs shouldn't feel challenging, unless you are doing a long run when you get towards the end part.

For me, my easy pace is when I can breath at will only through my nose. Another measure is 3x3 breathing - 3 steps while breathing in and 3 steps while breathing out, consistently.

You need to understand that training for a marathon requires a lot of easy running to allow your body to adapt. Due to the volume of running in the training block, the more stress that comes from a too-quick pace, the less opportunity your body has to recover and become stronger. Have a quick google for supercompensation and look at the images - it will show you how your body will get stronger and be able to run further.

Post edited by TheRef on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Okay… It shouldn't really feel "challenging" unless you picked a really hilly route. As others have said here - dial the pace back. A pace that you could hold a conversation at. Or (except for probably the few longest runs) a pace that if you had to run another km/mile back to the car after your long run, that you feel able to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Hi all, jumping on the wagon here, I don’t post too often but it’ll be my first marathon so I’m trying to give myself the best chance I can

• Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    • I’ve done a couple of half marathons previously, I think my PB was just under the 2hr mark. Recently ran a 5k in 24:55 which is more reflective of my current fitness. I was flayed after it!
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) 
      No, but they’re welcome if I get stuck at the lights
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training, etc - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. 
      Currently training for a half marathon in July. I am doing the Hal Higdon novice 2 plan, which is at 3/5/3 miles mid week, and currently up to 10 miles on my long run.
      I do my midweek sessions in the gym (treadmill with 1 - 2% incline) so will do some full body weights if I have the time afterwards
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? 
      Dream finishing time would be 4:30, I honestly don’t know if that’s achievable or a pipe dream for my first one
    • How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    • Plan to do the Hal novice plan
    • What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? 
      Injury - I have a long history of calf strains, though have changed my technique recently which is engaging my glutes more and so far so good. Also going to start getting sports messages to try to keep and niggles away
    • The most important question - Why are you running this marathon? 
      I’m doing it for the self achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Finished my first week back running. Ended up doing 2 5k's and a 6k.

Found it a lot tougher than expected. I thought I would have kept some fitness since last running in April but looks like I'm back square one. Because of this I'm downgrading expectations and have changed plans from Runna to Hal Higdon's novice plan.

Next week will be similar with an longer run at the weekend before the plan kicks off the following week.

If anyone is on Strava and wants to connect

https://strava.app.link/8iQw6CchsKb

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭slingerz

I’m in for DCM. I am the ultimate novice. Parkrunning regular since the start of the year and did the Cork 10K

done a 1/2 in clonakilty before but a while ago now

• Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) 

Yea I do often cos I’ve gone too fast

• How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training, etc - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. 
      Parkrun every weekend not much else
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? 
      Finish it mainly if I broke 6 I’d be happy

can train any day but have to increase the load now. Haven’t a plan to follow

Not being able to do it
      I’m doing it for the self achievement.

@TheRef Thanks a million for the detailed response and the links nod towards 'supercompensation'. That's a new one on me but makes alot of sense.

I should caveat all of this with the fact that I'm on a Runna plan for the Clontarf Half on the 6th July. The 13 km run was paced with 3k at a comfortable pace, 3k at 5.20, 2k at 5.05, 3k at 5.20, and finishing with 2k at 5m. It's the last 2k that was 'challenging'. Despite it being a long run, I do feel I have a bit in the tank if I hold back. Following on from my other post I'll be happy to get myself on a marathon specific plan and slow it down. Perhaps that's an approach for the Half in July aswell so as to not fatigue myself too much before going into a marathon plan.

I do wonder about the Runna plan at times. I find it really pushes me hard on the interval sessions etc did someone mention a boards specific plan? Does it get posted?

Sorry, I just re read the OP and see it starts on the 24th June

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm also doing the Dublin marathon this year. Been running on and off casually for years but started taking it more seriously and actually training last year. Really looking forward to doing it.

I did the Barcelona half in February in 1:39 and did Poolbeg parkrun a few weeks ago in 21:03

Sometimes in my recovery on intervals or when going up a hill and trying to keep my heart rate down.

Since running the Barcelona half I have been running about 4 or 5 days a week and doing a mix of easy runs, fast sessions and longer runs just to maintain and improve my fitness before going into the marathon training.

Currently I am aiming for under 3:45. This goal isn't set in stone though. If the training goes well and if the Dublin half marathon goes well I might aim for a quicker time. If it goes the other way I will revise it the other way. I'm also going to leave it until the day itself to really set my planned finish time depending on the weather. If we get the same weather as last year or it is uncharacteristically warm then I'll reign in my expectations.

I can train probably 6 or 7 days a week. I'm doing Pfitz 18/55. I actually started it a couple of weeks early just so that I have a few weeks banked in case I need to take some time off from running for whatever reason. I know a few people who had their marathon training disrupted last year due to injuries, illness, life in general and had to take a bit of time off training. I'm trying to pre-empt that a bit so that if the same happens to me I can just start back where I left off in the training plan instead of having to skip weeks or what ever.

The main one is just not getting bloody sick. Last year I got sick a few weeks before the marathon. Even after my symptoms cleared up I found running a struggle. Even going at what is normally my easy pace was tough for anything more that a kilometer or two. I wasn't signed up for the marathon last year but if I was I would have been seriously pissed off. So, hopefully that doesn't happen this year.

I have been a fair weather runner for years. I only ever ran when the weather was nice. Once it got cold, dark or windy I would just stop running so I never really made much progress. I just ran because I liked it and never trained or followed any plan. I also never had any interest in doing a race. Then in 2022 I went out to watch the marathon because I knew a few people doing it and got caught up in the buzz. So here we are.

So we are T minus 1 week to go to the start of the Boards DCM training plans. I'll post a link again to the Boards and the Hal Higdon Novice training plans:

Hal Higdon plan

Boards plan

Have a look at both and see which one interests you, appeals to you. Which one you feel will fit into your lifestyle and schedule. And most importantly which one you feel you will stick to and which will hopefully take you to the start line of DCM. If you haven't already done so, take the time this week and roughly plan out your weeks ahead - have you a wedding, holiday, weekend away, 50th party etc? How will you work your training plan and long run around that? What is your schedule like during the week with work and family life? Will your runs be early morning or late evening? Or lunchtime? Maybe I'm old school but I like to have my training plan printed out and put on the notice board at home - it holds me accountable, I get great satisfaction in crossing off runs and my family can see my plan.

How has the past week been? Did you get out for the runs as planned? How is the body feeling? How is the mind feeling? - Rearing to go? - Apprehensive? - Excited to get started?

I know we have some more new faces here over the weekend so I hope to sit down this evening and reply to your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Treated myself to a sports massage last night in the hope of keeping any niggles at bay. Walking around like a new born giraffe this morning, feels great but the extra looseness will take some getting used to

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭sugarman20

This has probably be asked before but what is the general opinion of doing a 3 quarter marathon 3 weeks before DCM? Could it be used as your longest or last long run?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Doing a 20 miler three weeks out is a staple of more advanced plans. If your going to do it -keep it easy, hydrate properly and practice your nutrition.

On the flip side- if your easy pace has you over three hours for this distance dont do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I found one of the cheap massage guns from amazon good last year. As I started to get fitter and especially during the taper I probably took it a little bit for granted how useful it was and that was the only time I had any issues with niggles (small bit of plantar fasciitis, but it was ok)

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Well, this is weird.

I haven't been on boards in aaaaaaaaaaaages but today I stumbled upon a thread and ended up here.

Back in 2009, I was in the original mentored group and still look back on it with fond memories.

It's crazy that the thread is still there, it's like going back in time to meet a much younger me.

Even though I never met anyone from the group, the sense of camaraderie was strong with the regular check ins keeping us accountable.

I think I ran 4h6 for my first marathon and it was HELL.

But it did instill a love of running since (been close to sub 3 a few times, I'll get there!).

Anyway, enjoy the process, it's hard to believe but you'll look back on the training as the best part.

The marathon itself is just a lap of honour.

And forget about pace, it's all about time on feet.

Good luck all.

• Advertisement

Hi SimpleDimple - plenty of room on the DCM wagon for another! It reads like you are are in a good position to train for DCM this year. Hope the half marathon training is going well. 10 miles is a good distance to be up to at this stage and will set you up well for stepping into DCM training after you've recovered from the half.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Anyone doing a 4:30 marathon would be doing 3 hour runs a couple of times. The key to these 3/4 is keep to your training plan and not get caught up. Just think of it as a lsr where someone will hand you some water and company to run with. But don’t run it at MP as people have left their marathon in a 3/4 race.

Find a good sports massage therapist and for all the massage guns are they don’t replace that person getting their thumb or needles in to get that knot what a gun might not. A lot of them will already have spots taken up already as people book in advance.

Don't lose confidence in yourself already. It would feel tough and you will feel tired - it's more than what you had been doing previously. Do make sure to keep the pace easy. You are not back to square one - fitness and muscle memory is a great thing - they don't be long returning. A week or 2 will see a difference and will feel - I won't say easy but less hard!

Welcome. Ok parkrun is a great way to get into running.

Starting out too fast is an easy and common thing to do - I was guilty of it for years cos I felt just great starting off!

Perhaps I could point you in the direction of the Hal Higdon Novice plan - I have it linked above in my (long) opening. It is giong to be a jump from running 1 5km a week to a multiple 5kms during the week and a long run also. Try this week getting out for a couple runs, they don't have to be long, even 3-5km and see how the body responds to running more than once a week. Can you do a bit of a run before (or after) parkrun this Saturday?

Hi AlmightyCushion. A really good post! It sounds like you are more than ready both physically and mentally to train for DCM. I'm excited for you! Ok you seem to be running quite regularly since your half in Barcelona. I see you are already following a marathon plan - could you post your plan weekly so we can see what you are up to and advise if needed.

Sickness is a risk with training for any race. You can't totally avoid it but you can reduce the risks like eating plenty of fruit and veg, hydrating well, taking a supplement or probiotic if needed, get plenty of rest, if you get the flu jab annually try and get it as soon as they are released to give your body time to recover. If you do feel under the weather, do listen to your body, ease up on the pace and not put your body under additional strain.

Like yourself I decided to run DCM after watching it - there's such a buzz on the day as a spectator, the participants make it look easy (well up to mile 20 anyway!). When you take part yourself you will really appreciate the crowds along the route and feel like a celebrity.

Actually - how was Barcelona half marathon - I'm thinking of doing it next year.

Know the feeling 😂 I would advise to anyone getting a sports massage - first of all recommended. But it's something I tend to put on the long finger. After getting a sports massage, try and avoid running for 24 hours after, or if are going to run - keep it short and easy.

I did a three quarter marathon myself last year (Tarmonbarry) in preparation for DCM. It is something I personally found beneficial to me last year. But you have to be so careful about your pace - long slow run pace NOT marathon pace.

I found it great as a dress rehearsal - wore my marathon outfit from head to toe. Practiced my morning routine, breakfast etc. Nailed down my fuelling. The 3/4 event had fuel stations along the route and it was a good lesson for me about grabbing something unplanned from the table - in my case I learned not to gulp down a cup of coke and that it was a a good idea to grab a few jelly babies and haribos as they were a god send in the last couple of miles when you are sick of gels. I finished the 3/4 feeling that if I had to run another mile/km that I could do. There was a great atmosphere on the route as so many others were training for DCM, there was a bit of glancing at watches and mutters of pull back the pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Hey everyone, a very brief post.

I followed the Boards plan for my first marathon, it is perfect, once you buy into it and believe!

Anyone in the Midlands please let me know would be more than happy to help you with the long runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anyone have a Link to the boards plan?

The above Link just brings me to Hal Higdon.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement