Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Would the EV plan from Bord Gais make sense for anyone with a heat pump (heat water/house during EV hours)?

https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/our-plans/a0pSh0000005RfXIAU

Urban Day units (8am to 11pm excl. Peak)36.53 24.47 cent per kWh

Urban Peak units (5pm to 7pm)50.94 34.13 cent per kWh

Urban Night units (11pm to 8am)27.54 18.45 cent per kWh

Urban EV units (2am to 5am)9.31 6.24 cent per kWh

Annual Standing Charge €325.52

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Runner2023

Not sure, just moved in. Is there a way to check on the meter itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Have you received your first bill yet? In the top right corner it will show the meter status MC01, MC12 etc. let us know the number and work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Anyone had any luck getting a Nightsaver meter installed recently?

Are the Electricity suppliers willing to install them and how much did it cost?

Currently MCC01 with no smart meter.

Who is your supplier? They need to request one from esbn. I don't know if they're worth it anymore as the standing charge is still quite high whereas smart meter standing charges are a lot cheaper and energia are doing a D/N plan using a smart meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Currently don't have a supplier in the house.

Yeah I saw the Energia smart plan (29 Day/14 Night) and it seems like a good deal, without the hassle of getting a Nightsaver meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Any link to this Certa link? I see the BWG link but doesnt have a day/ night rate which I'm looking for. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

there’s a search bar at the top of the page that works well maybe you can try and find the day night rates you’re looking for 👍🏻

The internet isn’t for everyone

Click on the full terms and conditions link and scroll down, that will show you the D/N plan. It's 25/12c including vat but the urban standing charge is very high at 331, you really need to be able to shift a lot onto the night rate to make it worthwhile.

I'm rural and see the standing charge has increased from 380 to 420 so even worse. Doing the rough maths on consumption I dont think the day/ night is worth it anymore for me. I was was running my Heat Pump at night but if I change that to run during the day - i.e. when it's warmer outside - I will actually consume less energy so a low 24 hour rate is best for me.

The Smart meter plans are all way more expensive for me. Im considering an EV and looked at the ev plans but they would make most of of my usage 50% more expensive than the lowest 24 hour rate

• Advertisement

Rang Flogas and they said initially I need to get a new meter installed - which I will have to pay for to move from a non smart day night tariff to a 24hr tariff- wasn't sure but cost it will cost 'hundreds' to get that done and take weeks.

Background is original meter in house was 2019, so when I moved from 24hr to Day Night I didn't need a meter change. Subsequently a Smart meter was installed but I never activated a smart meter program. V annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gussieg

This was the flogas deal from a few months back.... my usage has jumped up exponentially since I last looked at the now smart meter. Seems a bit odd considering it's summer ish , but could be the airfryer and occasional use of the immersion. I ve got energy monitoring plugs too so don't understand how this jump has happened.

airfryer shouldn’t use much electric, since we stopped using the oven and grill and moved over to airfryer the electric dropped

Emersion on tbe other hand is a different animal, do you use a timer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 SullDog

Currently with Energia for both on a 15% discount, because I'm such a good customer 🙄, but was having a nose around different providers today to see the lay of the land and has me wondering if anyone's went the way of the fixed rate offer from SSE Airtricity? Quick breakdown of how the two compare for me, Energia - Electricity 34.99, s/c 236.62 and Gas 10.07, s/c 141.60 & SSE - Electricity 24.58, s/c 240.97 and Gas 8.28 s/c 152.31. No brainer to switch right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭bren2001

There’s cheaper available at fixed rate (see Certa elec above) but at these prices differences the SC comes into effect.

Personally, I’d be looking at a variable rate and just use bonkers.

You’ll save a decent chunk switching. Your energia rate is extortion. Pick what’s cheapest. Forget about it for a year and switch again next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Will the SEE 10% price cut apply to the "1 Year Fixed Dual Fuel" plan from the 1st of July, do you know? (new customer, waiting to sign up) Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,077 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No not for current customers but you'd imagine it would reduce for new customers. Customers who signed up for a fixed rate will stay on the same rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Thank you. Yes, I'd be a new customer, not an existing one with SSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Out of contract with SSE… was thinking of going to Flogas as according to bonkers.ie they are offer the best deal for me on dual fuel. I have a smart meter but have never activated it. Should I stay away from using the smart meter. the immersion and tumble dryer get horsed out of it in my house (three teenagers).

To renew with SSE I get 10% discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

A couple of little things about Dual Fuel with Flogas… They treat it as two separate accounts and you will have two Direct Debits, one for Gas and one for Electricity. And their billing portal is not easy to use/intuitive. The data is all there, but you have to work it out a little. Also, I don't know if it will happen again over the coming winter, but they didn't give me the Govt. €150 credits, they still charged me the same amount each month, but the Credit went against my Balance (I was using their Budget plan).

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

Switched to Board Gais and Electric Ireland this week, do they credit your account with the switching cash back or send to your bank? I think they were 50 & 120

They credit your account. Leave before the end of the 12 months and they have a right to reclaim it.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Today I decide to brake contract with Energia and went with EI with smart meter plan(activated)

0.2508€ 24h plan +100€ bonus(that will cover 50€ penalty)

I found out energypal.ie gives much better view what is the best plan and with my own calculation and how much im using I would save around 350€ in next 12months.

Also EI rate is variable .I didnt want go fix rate route with Sse.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

I was on time of use plan until march and in march i changed midterm to fix 24h plan but was slightly worse than new customer.At that time Energia was the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Inforapenny

Folks, current contract with Flogas due to expire next couple of days. All electricity and it’s a 24 hour fixed rate.

A couple of questions:

1. My understanding is that I physically have a Smart Meter installed outside house (I don’t submit meter readings) but I am not on a Smart Plan as on 24 hour fixed rate plan. Common thought on here seems to be not to activate a smart plan. Are smart plans identified by Smart Tariff in the wording on bonkers?
    2. I used that Energypal website, very helpful, I dont seem to see a way to identify if a plan is or isn’t smart based on the analysis, am I missing something?
    3. I rang current provider and they said my contract ends 19th of June at midnight and I need to be careful if I move provider I am not stuck in limbo with no electricity if the new provider doesn’t activate me in time. Maybe it’s scaremongering! Is there any best approach if I do switch to make sure I don’t pay an early release fee for current provider and ensure no chance of being caught in limbo with no electricity as new provider hasn’t activated me in time?
    4. Is peak time usage just 5pm to 7pm? That’s what seems to show on the energypal analysis and is the peak time the same time for all providers?

Thank you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

3 is complete bull. At end of contract you are moved to the standard tariff.

When not on a smart meter they take your customer meter read as the end/and start readings.

You will not be left without electric or a electric supplier, you will not be in limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Inforapenny

Would anyone convince me not to move to a smart plan? It is coming in at 100 euro cheaper based on last 12 month usage.

Also smart plan includes 30% discount off standard electricity rates( variable rate tariff) which if the standard rates drop over the 12 months will include further savings Vs a 12 month fixed rate

• Advertisement

The difficulty with a smart tariff is that once you go smart, you cannot go back. You're smart for the rest of your meters life. While you might save €100 this year, you could easily be out of pocket next year. If the tariff is ToU, that would annoy me.

Saying that, for €100, its probably worth the switch.

Advertisement