Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freight rail in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

PPT is cleared for 9'6 on flat wagons since 2012.. A wise move as HC containers have become more widespread in the interim, and make up 95% of the equipment pool for all the major inter European shipping lines..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I always thought that if the Navan line was built that the logical implication would be closing/mothballing the Drogheda route, so that pathing higher speed services on Dublin-Belfast route would be easier without 50mph ore freights to work around. Given the drivers wouldn’t be worrying about manual gates it might even have been quicker from load point to port? What I would like to see on the Northern Line is container freight to/from the North on 75mph wagons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The entire network is cleared for 9 foot and the vast bulk is cleared by 9'6 on normal wagons. That miles ahead of the UK where low floor wagons are required.

Any freight flow which is profitable Irish Rail very happy to chase it down, if its loss making its cut loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Economics101

THere has been an "official" view that EU rules prevent government subvention of rail freight as opposed to passengers. Is this true? It begs questions about access charges, incentivising emissions reduction etc. It also begs questions about the fiscal treatment of the rival to rail freight: juggernaut trucks. Do these pay access charges (road taxes) commensurate with the costs they impose? Remember that road wear ans tear is related not to the axle load but to axle-load squared or cubed (I forget the exact formula).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mcfeckinsandwich

First post, so apologies if I've missed this...but is there a way to find times/schedules for freight runs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not publicly, but there's plenty of enthusiasts who would know the timings, or at least a good rough guess, for them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I'd agree with you to an extent, but if you count "The whole world" The bulk of rail freight uses low floor wagons, not cause of any loading restriction but simply because you can fit more freight on. (In the US and India they're double stacking containers)

These old type of wagons are on the way out, no one is buying these anymore:

And these are on the way in:

Biggest EU manufacturer of wagons is Tatravagonka (I think)

All their new gear is as low as they can make it (see link below. I've already been putting together my imaginary freight train :D ):

https://tatravagonka.sk/wagons/?lang=en

Pocket wagons like the Irish rail CPWs were much in vogue in the early 2000s when 9ft 6in containers were relatively new and uncommon.. However they limit capacity due to their length.. What we have seen here and elsewhere is that rail operators would rather undertake gauge clearance work where possible to allow 9ft 6in containers on standard wagons..

Irish rails new wagon order will most definitely be for flat wagons rather than well/pocket wagons.. Likely an off the shelf EU type that can be fitted with various ISO platforms for different applications(Ballast/spoil, timber, tank wagons)

Talking about the US or India is fairly irrelevant for an Irish perspective.. Portugal or Scandinavia would be a better comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Just heard that Waterford to Dublin rail freight is coming very soon. Probably before the end of the year. Making use of the refurbed pocket wagons.

Edit: updated with correct information.

Post edited by Citizen Six on

And whare in Rosslare are the loading facilities for this? Under construction? Very soon?

• Advertisement

I was in Kiel on the weekend, got the train out to Neumunster to look at old trains. There's big yard there, I saw a BR 185 hauling freight out of the Yard. Mixed freight train, the containers were on flat bed wagons and and the HGV trailers were in the pocket wagons.

The strange thing is that those wagons looked new and didn't look like they opened up to make it possible to connect a tractor unit to the trailer, so they must have lifted them in. (So maybe that's the plan to address RO-RO Freight from Rosslare)?

Freight needs moving on the rails, to distro centres where trucks can take it the last few miles. The Bulk of the traffic moves between Rosslare, Dublin, Limerick, Cork, Belfast. So they just need to set up distribution close to those centres.

The M50 is goosed now, there are to many HGV's on it. They take the left two lanes in the mornings.

I had it wrong. It’s a new freight service from Waterford, not Rosslare, as I previously posted. Three days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Baseball72

Thanks. Does it terminate in Heuston, Ocean Pier, or another local railhead?

I think the plan is to have it, and the IWT, load and unload in the yard in North Wall.

Any more details on that?

Is it going to be loaded north bound or south bound, and where will it be handled in Waterford?

hard to see if being viable on that route if running pocket wagons, unless IE are offering a bargain basement rate

This is only a guess on my part. I should imagine that the train goes to Waterford-Belview. It could serve the purpose of transferring some containers from Ballina to ships from Belview for destinations not served directly from Dublin. Also it might pick up some containers from the Dublin area which at present go by road to Belview.

There is a direct Ballina-Belview service, which appears to be lightly loaded. Maybe a Dublin-Belview service can take the existing traffic plus some extras originating in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Sounds positive. I would have taught the refurbished CPWs would be to increase the XPO or release some additional capacity for IWT services.

that would have made sense pre-1997 when Bell had major operations focused on Waterford.. However in 2024, it makes little sense as Port of Waterford has a very limited service of two vessel calls a week, and both of those call to Dublin before heading to Waterford. It might make sense in reverse, to feed containers into Dublin port from Waterford, but if you have enough volume to support 3 trains a week, you would likely be better off getting a call to waterford added to the vessel you are trying to connect with ex Dublin. It would also likely be cheaper to send your containers to Cork or Rosslare by road, as both have services not available ex Waterford..

Also the use of pocket wagons doesn’t make sense, as XPO have use of a set of flats, and if it was a recast of their service they would just use the flats.

XPO don’t really need extra capacity, they have rarely filled the existing two trains per week..

IWT did look at extra services with CPWs to replace lost capacity, however that doesn’t seem to be going ahead now

Have they enough flats? Maybe they just want to get the pocket wagons back into use, after refurbing them?

• Advertisement

Three sets, two assigned to IWt and one to XPO plus maintenance spares..

It’s unlikely IE would launch a service for the sake of it or that is loss making for them..

I’m sure the details will be confirmed soon

Could be part of a broader plan to increase freight, gradually, maybe.

Tara is coming back by road I think, so that won’t be running again any time soon.

Do you mean Tara Mines?
    Surely they're not transporting ore by HGV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I had always heard that it was a condition of the mine's planning permission that the ore be sent by rail

Yeah, Tara Mines. They transported it by HGV when the viaduct was down!

I haven't heard that before. Perhaps it's a negotiating tactic to get the price down. But I'm not sure if any of the wagons are even certified at the moment.

That's very strange, although I haven't seen an ore train go by in quite some time.

Why was the viaduct out of service?

I don't think there is any other mine in the world that has easy access to rail that transports their ore via HGV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Glaceon

2009, when the Broadmeadow viaduct collapsed just north of Malahide.

• Advertisement

Ah

I remember, thought citizen six was referring to something more recent (Perhaps the viaduct at Navan).
    There was ore trains running before Tara mines went into "sleep mode" a year or two back.

Its just in the last few months I don't recall seeing one. Would often have seen an empty train on its way back from the Port, on the DART near Connolly.

Advertisement