Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Stillill42

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

When Calvin Harris dawns the stage I think I’ll have a couple of cans on this new bridge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Himselfe

Just to come back on my post a few days back (I've been away so catching up now) regarding TM and their intention to keep money on tickets not fully paid up on the installment plan, I have to say I'm quite frankly shocked at the nonchalance and indifference in some of the replies from people who think this is ok. Some of the replies read like a dystopian future type response from an emotionless AI bot:, "they should have known better, blah blah blah, should have read the small print". Give me a f*cking break. This attitude, defending such policies and enabling monopolist behemoths like TM and Live Nation to trample over ordinary people in the name of profit will be the undoing of the likes of EP and flies in the face of what a music festival is all about.

The person I referred to (a close friend who got 2 tix for him and his wife) has been to every EP since 2014. Two emails from Ticketmaster, a couple of weeks apart, went into their spam folder so weren't noticed. Had they been noticed it would have been addressed. He only checked after seeing it mentioned by someone else on social media. Any other organisation worth their salt who is owed money in the order of hundreds of Euro and has any sort of respect for their customers would have sent a letter or made a phone call or some sort of effort to make sure everything was clear or to fix it up. An email that Ticketmaster no doubt know is likely to be marked as spam is simply not good enough.

Anyway, he called TM to resolve the issue who said it was too late and that all money was forfeit. After calming down (needless to say he was enraged) another call the next day threatening legal action was swiftly met with a transfer to a more senior person who took a final payment over the phone. He won't be going now, decided his money is better spent elsewhere and will sell his tickets as soon as TM, who now have his money and can for some reason decide whether or when he can sell them to someone else, let him.

All hail our Ticketmaster/LiveNation/Festival Banana Republic overlords.

On another note, for the first time in a long time since I've attended EP I'm still struggling to find anything at all in the lineup so far that has me really excited. Thank goodness for ATN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Fair dues to your mate OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Yeah, I think it's pretty low to try and keep the money, particularly since people posing in installments would typically be more likely need the money the most. Glad your friend got refunded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

As I was saying above, anyone challenging them legally will get their cash back (or the option of completing the purchase). Ticketmaster are relying on people not pursuing it. It’s the behaviour of bullies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭endainoz

Same with taking dodgy landlords to court for not returning your deposit or wrongly threatening eviction. Ditto broadband/phone providers, insurance companies, etc not fulfilling their contracts. They’ll pay you off if you threaten or instigate legal action or call the regulators on them.

These people skirt around the law and rely on people not challenging them. The more that take them on the more they’re pegged back.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

ETA: This was quoting @Seathrun66 post 4861 but the quote seems to have dropped off.

I have no problem accepting that an equity decision would always go in favour of the ticket buyer because the festival is sold out and the seller will be able to get the money from someone else.

But this has been a term of installment sales going back to at least 2016 (presumably further that's just when I bought my first one) and Fanirish has indicated it's likely a condition of LN across all their instalment plans. Back then EP wasn't an immediate sell-out and it sounds like some other LN festivals with installment plans might have tickets available on the weekend.

How do you see the decision going if the seller would be out of pocket by refunding the buyer? Presumably that would be unfair to the seller and the buyer would lose their challenge and be out of pocket.

Other festivals offer their instalment plans through klarna or a similar finance company. Who wins in that scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Fanirish

klarna will sell the debt to a collection agency and if any instalments are unpaid they will chase you. You will have gotten your ticket already though.
    my point was non refundable deposits are common though out industries and that’s what ticketmaster instalment tickets are until final payment. The legal/contractual rule is that ticketmaster/FR have legal and contract right to the deposits paid.
    morally obviously it’s crappy if they don’t facilitate the final payment after the deadline or issue refund.

There seems to be a naive belief amongst some posters that because something is in a contract you’ve signed then it’s set in stone. This is not true. Otherwise the courts would not be full of contract disputes. Because something is written down and you’ve signed it is irrelevant. We’ve all signed horsesh1t agreements at some stage or other and most won’t bear close examination. It’s in the interest of many corporations that these contracts don’t get scrutinised.

Almost all the tenancy agreements I’ve examined are illegal and wouldn’t last ten minutes in court. Ask any housing lawyer or personnel in CAB offices, etc. Landlords chancing their arm and fully aware that they’re rarely challenged.

Similarly with the TM clause retaining the instalment monies. Consumer legislation is quite tight and this retention of money would not withstand scrutiny in court. Hence TM will ensure that it never gets to court. Any individual making a formal complaint and taking legal action will get your money returned. A large group of people taking a class action would be paid off. With no admission of liability by TM. The test case that would go against TM would set a precedent preventing them from ever doing this again and they will want to avoid that at all costs. They’d also have to pay the legal costs for their failed defence and return cash to every person they historically retained cash from. That’s a lot of money.

TM are also not out of pocket as the final instalment is usually due 3/4 months before the event to allow them a significant amount of time to re-sell. They’ll also retain any admin and other fees which more than covers their costs. Very different if the event was taking place two days after the final instalment and TM couldn’t resell but that’s not the case. In this instance all of the returned instalment tickets have undoubtedly already been sold on. How do you think they’ll get on in court explaining to a judge/magistrate that a €300 ticket has generated €500 in income for them after retaining the instalment cash. Won’t happen. They know they’ll lose. They’ll do everything to prevent it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

As I said I've no problem with all that but your last paragraph doesn't really answer the question in my second last paragraph. In a hypothetical situation where a festival hasn't sold out and doesn't sell out by the time it happens "How do you see the decision going if the seller would be out of pocket by refunding the buyer?"

Just because they have time to resell doesn't mean they'll be able to if the demand isn't there.

….

A trickier scenario as I said above but the judge/magistrate would act pragmatically if it ever got to court and that will NEVER happen. My entire point is that anyone losing their instalment payments who challenges TM will either get refunded and/or given the opportunity to pay the final instalment.

Legal hypotheticals won’t come into it as TM would never allow a claimant to get to court. They cannot allow themselves to be in a scenario where the could lose significant money through a precedent AND have their business practices forensically scrutinised. Hence you don’t hear of cases against them being listed at either the Small Claims Court or any other avenue for litigation. They stop it every time..

I’ll buy beers at the Salty Dog for anyone who goes to the Small Claims Court and loses their €25 fee. #ChallengeTM

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

Are we really ‘done’ with the x6 acts on the line up poster? Kinda feel there’s room in between Raye and Kyle, & Cinnamon and kahan!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭endainoz

As I say every year, it's the hope that kills you.

Yes but keep in mind the increase in capacity now @75k, woefully lineup for such a large audience.

Of the acts I expected/hoped for only NewDad, Nas, Kneecap & The Waterboys turned up so it’s hard for me to guess what we’ll get. Undoubtedly more shite and a lot of good young Irish acts plus decent eclectic acts for the SD, Croi and Jerry. We’ll also get more from APE and Rock-en-Seine but hard to second-guess the FR bookers. Maybe Thundercat, Inhaler, The Last Dinner Party, Floating Points, Ezra Collective, Mitski, TV Girl, The Kills, etc.

I still believe there’s a serious chance of LCD starting the second leg of their European tour here as they’ve done before. We’ve had this discussion on James Murphy before so let’s not go over it again and see what happens. I’d not be surprised by an EP announcement at the start of July after their Malahide show and Glasto sub-headliner. At this stage it’s all conjecture unless acts are ruled out by clashes.

Fontaines cancellation a mess and Lana Del Rey feels like a huge loss now giver her Reading/Leeds booking. Unless of course that’s a coup that FR pull out of the hat (very unlikely) as a late surprise. They still have a possibility of turning it around (for us lot anyway) with a solid 15 acts that appeal. Ain’t asking for much out of circa 45 main arena artists to be announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can see myself rocking along to this after a few Jameson and SoundCloud's...all I'm saying is just give the hot chick a chance...

https://open.spotify.com/track/2BFnfCnAW6O1a1vZ8NZvkO?si=fpKY7QCjSbmAMJknIESvdA&context=spotify%3Aplaylist%3A37i9dQZF1DX4W3aJJYCDfV

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭rockterrain

It really is poor. I'd like to also know how much they are paying on artists fees. No tier one acts amongst the six headliners - a couple of has beens and then new acts with barely an album between them. They're really taking the public for a ride. I can see people voting with their feet next year and waiting for a line-up announcement first.

• Advertisement

€500k each minimum for the 3 headliners and between €200-350k each for the 3 sub headliners. Probably €2m budget thereabouts for the 6 headline acts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I'd honest to God jump at a totally scaled back festival in the same spot with just the satellite stuff, Salty Dog, Jerry, Trailer Park, Body and Soul back in, the old OV tent, Mother DJs etc. 5000 capacity, some basic glamping, some independent brewers. Exactly the same level acts that those stages are/ were booking. I presume Melvin has the clout to veto that, but that would be a great weekend for me. Just take the main arena out of the equation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

that would be pretty standard for festival headliners.

Yeah, you aren’t getting a headline act for a 50-70k festival in europe for less than €400-500k (unless your glasto)

not bonkers at all, all those 6 acts would sell out between 1 and 3 nights at the 3 arena without much difficulty.

Yes but EP headliners are of much lower stature than headliners at other comparable festivals.

Yes but per points well made by many in this thread it is debatable whether you could call these proper headline acts.

All of them can comfortably sell between 20-40k tickets in ireland with little to no hassle. By definition that’s EP headliner calibre. Much as people on here might rightfully think certain headliners are atrocious they all sell tickets in the tens of thousands here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Recent concert history here in ireland is just a google away.

EP booking fees have been subject to court case in prior years and other sources

I was actually going to qualify here as odd one out as she hasn’t done headline show here since she blew up in last 12 months. Would say she is 3 arena level now at the very least.

Snarky Snark Snark

not arguing the quality but let’s look at our premier venue here, the point.

If Kylie (or the others) do the Point at 12,500 tickets (less than capacity) for €50 a head, that’s €625,000 in ticket sales alone. That’s similar ballpark if you knock 125,000 off that for non fee costs.

note 1 : Yer lads kahan and Cinnabon must be caning in the cash.
    note 2 : You’re not seeing Kylie in the point for €50, barely seeing anyone there for that.
    note 3 : this is pure back of ciggie packet calculation
    note 4 : Christ, I’d really love a ciggie right now, not had one in years but a right goo has descended

general rule of thumb in the industry is 1/3 of ticket revenue.
    noah kahan sold out Belfast vital at 30,000 x £61. That £1.8m in revenue so his fee would be around £500k mark at a minimum. So if he is getting that for playing Belfast the night before EP you can be certain that’s what’s his price is for stradbally show

Big rollback from "900k for Kahan" on 'ere I see. Will be 1/4 mill by August.

500k minimum, could been closer to €750k. Doubt even Billie eillish got €900k, though she did a bunch of FR festivals in a package deal so exact breakdown between reading/Leeds/EP is hard to even guess.

Did you not suggest he could be paid a million?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,875 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

looks like everyone here, even those purporting to be "in the know", really haven't a clue about the figures involved here.

I see our aul mucker nile was in Dublin last night!
    simpler times complaining about him popping up every year.

No I did not. Said headliners are between €500-€750k range. Court case back in 2013 cause John Reynolds was not happy that FR paid the Killers 500k to headline EP 2012 and said EP got stung for it as FR wanted the Killers for their other festivals in europe around then and needed EP as part of the package deal.

Only point I’m making is when an-artist can sell 30,000 tickets and generate nearly €2m in revenue here in ireland EP is not going the cheap route by booking them. Agents fight a hard bargain for their artist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭dav09

I have to wonder how far FR will push it in the future/long term goal, will they ever try expand again or is it now at a sweet spot between being sold out consistently/in demand every year.

I know many festivals now going to two weekends instead one, even if scaled back slightly each weekend it would be difficult to see it selling 100k+ tickets in a country this size, recent lineups alienating a good portion of core festival go-ers is an interesting trend too. I've also noticed a trend of festival sites once set up for the summer being used for multiple festivals with different target audiences, i.e. I wonder could they make EP a very mainstream festival and then have a more scaled back festival at Stradbally the following week (or previous week) with more alternative/indie acts, scaled down site with just main stage, salty dog, and some other areas, etc. Obviously the following week wouldn't work with R&L this year but in future years/ you get the idea (or have it earlier in August to compete with ATN). I also find it really difficult to see where Longitude fits into FR's overall current strategy as they're booking a lot of the same acts for that and EP now instead of before with it being hip hop (and previously indie). Obviously Marlay Park site being already somewhat set up for summer gigs is a factor.

These are mostly just thoughts/ramblings, but you do have to wonder where it is heading.

EP will stay roughly same capacity for next few years.
    won’t be second weekend or any downsized festival at stradbally.
    longitude will pivot more towards dance music. They have moved back from being concentrating on chart rap/rnb to include dance acts a bit more in last year or two. It’s mainstream current chart festival so whatever is popular dictates line up.

Maybe they will extra day just for 2 johnnies audience

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭crl84

Very few festivals can do 2 weekends in the same place. Primavera tried it 2 years ago and then didn't bother after that (they tried Barcelona/Madrid last year and that was a minor disaster).

Highly unlikely Laois CoCo would grant a second weekend right after, locals would largely be opposed. Also the issue of the ground, it's fine doing it at Coachella, but one wet weekend and Stradbally would be in **** for the following weekend. Can remember a few seriously muddy EPs in the early 2010s and that was only after 2 days and 20k people....

If FR were to do another indie/guitar centric festival, I think it would be in June to capture the large amount of acts touring European festivals then.

• Advertisement

Its the last roll of the dice this year. 2025 will see further descent into hellish vandalism and musical harikari with the 4 horsemen of the shitpocalypse. Gav James, Picture This, Kenno, 2 Jonnys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Any Electric Picnic news?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Snarky Snark Snark

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭GentleHumour

Caught Faithless last night in Paradiso, Amsterdam. Full live band, two drum kits and Sister Bliss centre stage.

It’s their first tour since the death of Maxi Jazz. They weave in clips of him on their classic hits (Insomnia, We Come One, God is a DJ) but what most impressed me was the other tunes they played sans Maxi. Tunes from All Blessed went down really well. Nathan Ball on vocals and sounded great. Also have a new young female vocalist too.
    They’ve a new album out in September and they played a few of that, also played some classic ‘dance’ hits they funk / rock up.

Class gig. I think a lot of people on here will really enjoy them at EP.

(They are playing Camp Bestival on same weekend as EP on the Sunday night, so they’ll be on either Fri or Sat in Stradbally. Perfect for the aging ravers amongst us).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭rubick

They are at Glastonbury this year on the Glade Stage, which I can already see as being ridiculously over-crowded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement