Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone identify old pocket watch.

• 12-06-2024 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My dad was given this pocket watch and we would like to see if anyone knows anything about it, history, make, anything really,

It has Swiss made on the dial, and what looks like military markings on the case back.

Dad thinks it could be 70-80 years old.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I don't know much about other than the markings on the case back appear to confirm that it's a British military issued pocket watch.

The Brits bought watches from a range of Swiss suppliers, JLC, Helvetia, Omega and many others. A look at the movement will confirm who supplied this one originally.

The 6E/50 designates yours as an "Observers Pocket watch" more info on them can be found below, as a jumping off point. No doubt Wibbs or one of the other more experienced posters will have more info for you.

Lovely piece and enjoy it and it's proximity to history.

More on the markings can be found here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Thanks! That’s a great start for us.

It will need to be opened as it isn’t running unfortunately, it can be adjusted with the crown but won’t wind. I don’t want to mess with it myself.

Would there be anyone in the Dublin area who could quote to get it running again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭XLR 8

Nice condition. Most jewellers will recommend someone who can service it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ryath

@Wibbs Customer Query Aisle 3!

Lovely piece and well worth getting back running.

The back should pop off easy if you want to post pics of movement which would help identifying. Probably some more engraving inside caseback for history/service.

John Donohue in Kilkenny is highly recommended for vintage watches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Thanks.

Had a Quick Look at the back, not sure which piece comes off and I’m reluctant to touch it in case I do any damage.

It is in good condition, lovely patina on the dial.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Banie nailed it above. If you do want to get a look at the movement the back(and front) is screwed on* not press fit. The ribbing around the edges for grip a good indicator. Though I agree if you're not sure, best leave it for a watchmaker. Plus these used radium as a luminescent material and though the light emitting bit is long burnt out the radium is still active so again better to leave that to a watchmaker to deal with.

Nice watch to have and should be easy enough to fix/get spares for. 👍️

*part of the UK military standard to better protect the movement

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement