Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Informal Warning - can I go on sick leave due to mental health problems or should I leave?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Did you put any specific illness on the cert? You do not need to disclose the reason of illness to the company and the Dr can just put "Unfit".

As far as I know, your GP can say you are not fit/suitable to be seen by the company Dr.

Seriously though, if you can afford to get out of there and be unemployed for a while, quit. They sound like a rotten company with the lack of training, horrible middle management, HR and medical approaches.

I quit a similar job in the past with no safety net. Quite similar circumstances to what you describe. My only regret is that I didn't walk out sooner.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Did you put any specific illness on the cert? You do not need to disclose the reason of illness to the company and the Dr can just put "Unfit".

This is true. The only time they really have to know the nature of an illness, is if it is a health and safety concern - i.e. a communicable disease, or something that would physically affect ability to do your job on return.

All your GP should have put on the cert is "unfit for work" and a "fit to return on" date.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kiiyuka

My GP put "anxiety and stress"…. which is true, as this is really what I am suffering with. This whole thing is giving me just massive panic attacks… I dont mind seeing the company doctor but I know that they are mostly on company side…. And I know the company does not care, even about the opinion of their own nurses and doctors… But its literally as if they are doubting my GP and me…. What, are they essentially claiming my GP is lying?

I hoped they will not question a cert with a problem specified…. but I guess I was wrong.

If I get a GP's note saying that I am unfit to see company Dr, can I write a letter to my company that what they doing is a disgraceful?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

And now, because of them, you will spend the week off, worrying, anxious and stressed. So nothing achieved.

Your employers are assholes. Stop focussing on trying to get on their good side, it's not going to happen. Focus on getting out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭well24

Try not to stress about it, what have they achieved if you do go to company doc? He'll either agree with your GP or not, so what.. you have a GP cert, under Irish law your fine..

They really are treating you badly.. not a good place to work, how do you see this being fixed?

From what I see they is no fixing this, I dont think you have much choice but to leave, and the sooner the better for your own health..

• Advertisement

Hey, thanks… I dont mind going to company doc, but it is additional stress which I tried to avoid…. All I wanted was a week of peace and quietness to let the meds kick in, but no. My company isn't about that. If the company doc will disagree with my GP then what? Who has more power? I checked the company they want to send me to, it does not have good reviews…

Ive been down the the meds route as well, depending on the meds they can take 4 - 6 weeks to kick in, and can actually make you feel more anxious in that 4 - 6 week period..

I feel for ya, this all brings back 2017 for me.. is their no way you can just quit? their are soo many jobs out their, depending on the area your in, it mighnt take that long to get another one

Dont be worrying about the company doc.. you have a cert from your GP (who knows you better!)..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Is there a written policy, in relation to sick leave, in your workplace, OP? If so, that should specify the process around referral to the company doctor.

I know anywhere I have worked that particular route was a long way down the line, and definitely not invoked on the basis of the first medical cert from a GP.

As others have said, it sounds like an awful place to work. I hope that you feel better soon, first of all, and secondly that you can get the hell out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭caviardreams

In a lot of cases if stress is mentioned as the reason employers send to Occ doc straight away to cover themselves in case it is work related - they have a duty of care. It's a flag for legal risk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I'm currently on sick leave for similar (but not identical) reasons. In my case, my GP just put down "illness", rather than going into the specifics.

Hi, I checked, all it says is that the company reserves the right to send me to an occupational or company doctor and that I am required to attend.

What if the stress is work related?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭caviardreams

If the cause of stress is work related they have a legal obligation / duty of care to take reasonable action to resolve it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The fact that HR got a cert that states stress and they contact you immediately with an appointment for a consultation with the company doctor just screams sh1tty company to me.

If you knew someone was suffering with stress, you'd pull back and let them have space.

I can tell from your posts OP, that you are really suffering with anxiety over this. As I said before, I had a job that stressed me to the max, no support, crazy conditions etc. I can smell work stress at this stage!

It's not going to get better by buying a week of time.

You've seen their colours. You deserve better for yourself.

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I agree with @Purple Mountain - the last thing any half decent employer would do is pile on the stress on an employee by immediately mentioning a referral to the company doctor.

Mind yourself OP.
    Nothing is more important than your health.

Advertisement