Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Elections 2024 - Results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

The Greens lost all 4 seats on South Dublin County Council. I'm hoping for wipeout in the GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Look at Dublin and DLR before building your hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Incredible how little attention RTE have given this Green implosion. Likely due to them ramming environmental nonsense down our throats for years. George Lee needs to dust all that carbon residue off his CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I have expected a Green wipeout in the next general election for some time so their vote surprised me. They came close to holding two European seats and 23 LE seats is better than their 2014 and 2009 performance.

Was anyone expecting anything more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I was paying more attention to SF and only copped on to the Greens this morning as to how poorly they have performed.

They'd be better off running 2*candidates in their safe zones and pray for a miracle come GE time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭doyle55

The vast majority of actively publishing climate scientists 97% agree that humans are causing global warming and climate change.

https://science.nasa.gov/climate-change/faq/do-scientists-agree-on-climate-change/

Good point. SF got a lot of attention, but nothing i have heard about the Greens, hence why i was shocked when i stumbled across their results.

RTE have their own agenda but i'm not going there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The Greens don't appear to mind being 'wiped out', it's a price they appear willing to pay for getting a certain fraction of their policies enacted. This will be their second, arguably third iteration of 'start from a minimal base, spend a term building back up, the next term consolidating themselves as a serious alternative who can gain a decent amount of seats, then go into government for a term, then get destroyed in the subsequent election'. Rinse & Repeat.

You may not like them, but it's an admirable enough attitude when other small parties stick to the simpler-life alternative of never going into power and being happy with a fixed amount of seats sitting on the hidden back rows of the opposition benches for 20 years.

Post edited by ArmaniJeanss on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Downlinz

They're in a unique space and rightfully confident that Green issues will grow in prominence over time so they always believe they can rebuild and their policies will age well. No other small party can have that sort of confidence as they could be wiped out and replaced rather easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,331 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

23 LE seats is better than their 2014 and 2009 performance.

I remember some pundit saying after one of those elections that the Greens "now had fewer councillors than Michael Lowry"😝

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Well is it really a surprise she would have a bigger following? She went “viral” after her Obama speech 13 years ago. She has received a lot of attention outside of Ireland for her speeches in the EU parliament from those who hate and love her. I’ve seen a lot of tweets celebrating her losing from European accounts with big followings and those ruing she lost from other figures outside Ireland. I doubt any of those people would know Barry Andrews

So it’s hardly surprising that some who is outspoken would have more of a following than a run of the mill politician. Her speeches have millions of views collectively across YouTube/twitter etc. Did people really think her 400k followers were from her own constituency? Not doubting there’s bots involved. She attracts positive and negative attention from outside Ireland whereas who has heard of Barry Andrew’s outside of Ireland. Not many in comparison. Even on this thread she’s been mentioned loads of times in comparison to Andrews. So I’m not sure how her having more followers proves anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭josip

Meanwhile, back at the ranch…

The Wallace - Ni Mhurcu leapfrog continues. O'Sullivan closes to within touching distance of Funchion but that will be as far as she gets. If SF transfer as well in South as they did in Dublin, Funchion could move up to 3rd ahead of McNamara.

Post edited by josip on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

In fairness, that poster actively denies that we landed on the moon and the existence of satellites. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭wassie

Wallace picked up the fewest transfers in the top 7 by a good margin in that count. If that trend continues (as has been suggested) then he could drop fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Will we see him drop to 6 with the SF transfers in the next count?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

RTE leading with the Aer Lingus dispute over the election results.

Pippa Hackett has said

The party has undergone the challenge of being in Government but it has still returned 23 local election candidates, which by any measure is a good result.

So less than 2.5% is considered a good result. At least SF admitted they got hammered

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Ultimately, it'll be paper ballots fed into an electronic counting system, the paper trail is there to check everything or do a hand recount if needed.

The electronic counting system would ensure the excess proportions are fairly represented and that the results are repeatable.

I don't think the Irish public is ready for electronic input at the polling stations (attaching printers to them for a paper trail probably wouldn't work well, with printer issues and trying to keep the paper stacks readable for later as they usually use carbon).

• Advertisement

14th count for South, as expected massive jump for Funchion aided by the SF transfers.

He was second best performer in that count. It's definitely shaping up to be tight at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Yep, a Optical Character Recognition (OCR) machine to read the ballots. Those kinds of machines have been around since the 60’s. Spits out the ballots into a valid stack, a spoiled stack and an unreadable/ manual recheck stack.

The output can be feed into a program to tally the numbers and manual figures added after. It’s worth a try once at least IMO.

Agree we need as little friction as possible at the ballot box. Hundreds of printers, nightmare!
    How to have less spoiled votes is a while other debate…

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Vote early, vote often :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eudaimonia

The fly in the ointment is Derek Blighe. I don’t trust Punch either being pro farming might transfer strongly to the spoofer on small farming - Wallace. The telling of the story is whether Susan Doyle Soc Dems can transfer to Grace O Sullivan in large numbers of Cynthia ni Murchu to keep Wallace out. All depends on Blighes transfers to Wallace however.

Wallace should do better than Ni Mhurcu across the next 3 eliminations that total 90,000 votes.

Ni Mhurcu should do better than Wallace across the following 2 eliminations that total 95,000 votes.

It's going to be a lot closer than Daly being eliminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

One of Wallace's last interview crapped all over the farmers in favour of fishermen, so not sure if he'll do well from the farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Field east

one point that is completely overlooked re the GP is that if the GP refused to go into the current Gov then where would FFG go to form a STABLE government? So we, as a nation, should be respectful of the GP for stepping up to the plate. The last 4+ years have been very stable and overall positive when one considers all the obstacles it had to face eg Covid, Brexit, building up the economy after the recession, rising coct of living due to external factors mainly , influx of refugees/migrant/ Ukranians.
    the Labour Party also stepped up to the mark at the beginning of the recession to partner FG in a C/S with FF and this arrangement was a very solid one and went full term. There was ABSOLUTLY nothing else on the table at the time to manage the nation in some kind of a coherent and stable way. Labours part in all of that was never really appreciated/acknowledged . Well it was in that ‘it got a good kicking ‘in the next election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,331 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Wouldn't bet my life on him getting more of Susan Doyle's transfers than CNM and if he does it could be marginal. Also he could be getting the lion's share of a small pie when it comes to Punch's and Blighe's transfers…

Advertisement