Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Looks like it's not just a " BS Irish saying " but a common Scottish and English one as well ..

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/baltic very cold:It's baltic outside. Fewer examples

No doubt alluding to the low temperatures that are common in the Baltic at wintertime ?

But I get your point about the temperatures in the Baltic at Summertime .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭pauldry

Looked at Carlow Weather on X and he had globe and cold was all over Europe not just us. There isn't even any warmth to source into.

I was lambasted for saying it would be cool and unsettled this Summer but apart from a few days at end of June and maybe late July I feel it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Feels like winter, freezing cold in west Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭OldRio

I've worn base layer the last few days. I've never wore one in June before. Electric blanket on before bed. Feeling cool this month for sure.

6C this morning. Overcast. Time for my run. Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AndB456

I did feel the cold last night but otherwise I've quite liked this weather. We've been so wet in the south east it was so nice to get a bit of a break from the rain. So that is where my standards are for the summer weather this year, less rain and I will be happy. (I know we have rain coming in at the end of this week but I'm trying not to think about that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭compsys

2° to 3° being widely reported this morning. Very cold for mid June.

The entire month is now looking poor. If it’s any consolation it’s not just us.

The lowlands, the UK, and even Scandinavia all fairly chilly right now.

Well the old word for Ireland (Hibernia) roughly translates as the Land of Winter. So Europe was kind of on to something until we changed the name…

As others have said, the Baltic expression comes from their very cold winters. And is common enough. It’s not unique to Ireland really.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Lip Out

If people are complaining now just wait until tomorrow. Whilst the weather hasn't been warm, at least it has been mostly dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A first time i think ive ever reported this but at 0600 this morning there was a nice layer of frost on the car roof . A few miles outside Castlebar. June 12th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭gilly1910

God it really does say it all when people are liking this weather. Is that all we have to look forward to from here on in, just happy that it's not raining. Now there's a depressing thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lit the stove last night, latest I've ever lit it, looks like i will be lighting again tomorrow night too.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭kingshankly

December is much later than June surely 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭kingshankly

10.5 degrees cure in the north east breeze has died a little from previous days though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Lovely day in Galway today. Went for a very long cycle. There is a huge amount of silage and hay being cut. Great to see so early in summer. Make the most of today because tomorrow looks very wet.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭highdef

The rain arrives tomorrow, not the end of the week.

June 12th and just like in May, the rainfall levels have been miniscule. Some samples.

Mace Head = 3.5mm (Average for month = 82mm)

Dublin Airport = 4.9mm (Average for month = 66mm)

Roches Point = 0.7mm (Average for month = 63mm)

Gurteen (Tipp) = 3.8mm (Average for month = 71mm)

Don't make the mistake of waiting for the summer to come, that's a fool's game. Enjoy the dry bright weather any chance you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

brilliant stuff on this thread full of comical Ali types. Glorious lovely etc and the rest of the country frozen and pi**ed off with the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Rain warning has been issued for Kerry and Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Lit the range Sunday 9th, three hours on a charity bike ride was enough, took ages to defrost.

didn't get above 12 all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭gilly1910

So true, this country is full of people who are most definitely glass half full types when it comes to the weather and will do their utmost to make out that almost every day is gorgeous, lovely, great etc., and woe betide if we get any kind of decent spell, we will have to listen to stories of how it's hotter than Spain, or it's impossible to sleep at night. Then there are the miserable gits like myself 😃, who just see Irish weather for what it is, bloody awful most of the time, and sadly getting worse with each passing year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭briany

"iF glObaL wARming is reAl, wi iz it sO c😨Ld in jUnne, lol?"

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

IMBY/speak for yourself. Not sure how you can know the weather all over Ireland???

Actually a very nice day in my part of Wicklow. Mostly clear and sunny all afternoon. 15c. Could do with a few more c, but, generally, a very nice day.

I feel the people pissed off with a lovely day like today are the same people that will essentially do very little when we do actually get a week of sun with higher than normal temperatures. Misery loves company. In mid November I will look back at days like this and be thankful that I made the the most of it. I predict a moanfest tomorrow 🙂

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

From DART....no complaints!

.…and heading to Dublin to beer garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭acequion

Lads, if it's any consolation to ye it's horrible in Spain too.😔 Today was one of the gloomiest I've ever seen it here south of Alicante and chilly enough, though 20C is not chilly perse, but you needed a cardigan. It's lashing right now and I have to be somewhere and it's like being at home negotiating your way through bloody rain. 😕 I've no raingear with me, I refuse to ever carry rain gear to Spain, so will have to take pot luck. Hopefully this will be the end of it and tomorrow sees a big improvement. People are right here saying that poor weather is not just confined to Ireland for once. Anyway hearing this little anecdote of disgruntled sunseekers might cheer ye all up.😁

Count yourself lucky. Temps in Greece are predicted to hit 43C later this week. That's inhuman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The weather is what you make of it. Would prefer to be outside doing something than inside moaning about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Well 17⁰ Meath. Wasn't expecting that. A decent evening. Sunshine included. Ironic its so nice and tomorrow's forecast impending 😲

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Got up to 16.7C under clear skies here near Tralee earlier before the cloud associated with the advancing fronts moved in over us. Very decent day if somewhat on the cooler side but pleasantly warm in short sleeves about the place.

Dry for now.

14.8C atm

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/?v=-12.463047729171075,52.48452616030073,-6.165893095730025,55.472394843146986&t=2024-06-12-T16%3A32%3A02Z

Advertisement