Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EU to impose multibillion-euro tariffs on Chinese electric cars (thread bans see post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No it's not. As I said in my last post the Chinese will just price there cars even lower coming here so these tariffs will be meaningless to the price of Chinese vehicles coming here. They can afford to do that. The Chinese cars will still be cheaper than any from the European Legacy makers and they will continue to suffer while the Chinese benefit. But sure The EU will make some money from it now too so all good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Like I said, they can reduce their prices as low as they want but tariffs will negate them.

And I shouldn't have to point it out, we are the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

you haven’t explained how they’ll just keep

Lowering the prices. ……

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

I would not be surprised if BYD ceases all sales in Ireland, they have 3 or 4 garages / dealers here , hardly worth the effort , if price increases and lower sales are imminent

They'd hardly avail of state aid now would they in order to manipulate the market? 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

So tariffs on SAIC are 38% but this doesn't include the below existing 10% tariff, so an MG will be nearly 50% more expensive

The duties will be applied on top of existing 10 per cent tariffs on all Chinese EVs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I wonder how China will respond. It's no secret BMW, Audi and VW make billions from the Chinese market and have partnerships with Chinese auto makers. Sure the top end BMWs are designed more for the Asian market than European at this stage.

This could be a double edge sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

We are effectively in a cold war with China and they'll keep coming for us all.

Whether that be helping Russia continue fighting in Ukraine, helping Iran keep the middle east aflame and on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭wassie

Unlikely. BYD is in the top 10 car makers globally and the biggest EV maker. They arent going anywhere soon.

As @Gumbo posted earlier, BYD are currently building a factory in Hungary. Recent reports also state they are looking for a location for a potential second factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

How anyone can see this as anything but a bailout for fat, pampered, lazy German carmakers that just want to keep on doing business as usual just so they don't have to innovate or, god help us, offer reasonably priced EVs to anyone.

They just want to keep building their overpriced plastic barges without having to invest too heavily.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭wassie

As has been mentioned in this thread already, the Germans are not supportive of this measure.

This was part of the press release from the German Automotive Industry body, the VDA published yday.

The German automotive industry is in favour of free and fair trade. As a matter of principle, any protectionist measure, including additional tariffs as well as unjustified and market-distorting subsidies, restricts free trade and harbours the risk of trade conflicts that are ultimately detrimental to all sides. The potential damage that could be caused by the measures now announced may be greater than the potential benefits for the European - and in particular the German - automotive industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Did you "thinkabouit" before you posted that? It is the opposite, German car manufacturers will be very hard hit by Chinese counter measures. For VW along, China is by far the biggest market for their cars.

These tariffs are a very bad idea, they will inevitably lead to prices of cars going up, not going down like they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The European automotive industry is going to be decimated anyway as EVs are far less complex machines to manufacture and hardly any precision machining is required.

And quite frankly I don't care too much for the European, or rather largely German automotive industry as it's lied and cheated without consequence here in Europe.

The truth is the European Market has been caught badly behind as the Chinese started investing in EVs and batteries 15 years ago to get their deserved market and technological advantage that they have today. Volkswagen on the other hand have decided to divert €60bn from their EV budget back into ICE development. They deserve their loss of market share.

The way the tariffs themselves have been set it's about geopolitics and not trying to find a fair price. Seemingly the Commission think that €60k+ is the fair price for the Byd Seal.

because it’s not. State aid is illegal for companies in Europe

There’s a good explanation here:

There was an error displaying this embed.

The irony here is that you're railing against what you see as a bailout for one set of manufacturers when the root of the issue is state funding for another set.

Problem with their statement though is that it doesn't appear to be fair trade?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

EV's aren't "far" less complex to produce. Its swings and roundabouts really. I had the frunk tub out of a Mustang Mach E the other day, and its every bit as complex as any other car I've seen. (A major part of the drivetrain had failed).

Tesla (and others it must be said) ripping every bit of luxury out of their cars interior in order to compete on price tells you where complexity and cost savings are most easily found.

Every single OEM was cheating emissions tests - VW were really just the scapegoats. Do you believe that the Chinese have been, and always will be squeaky clean?

For Germany, whose biggest trading partner is China, any sanctions range far beyond just the automotive industry.

The rest of the press release effectively calls on the Chinese to limit their subsidies instead - so they understand the issue, just see a different solution.

Today's announcements make it clear that the extent and nature of subsidies in China are a challenge. The Chinese government is therefore now also called upon to signal its willingness to engage in dialogue in view of the facts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭maidhc

the economic theory is obviously the opposite, below cost selling (by way of state subsidies here) eliminates domestic competition and prices ultimately rise. Of course it doesn’t always work that way, but as someone else said, “we are the eu” and overall it’s better we protect our industry be it vag, bmw, airbus, zf, alstom or whoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Where have you seen the announcement on the €3 monthly increase for electricity ?

• Advertisement

My take is, German industry is very averse to change, they don't like to innovate and they certainly don't like to offer any great value.

They will just rest on their laurels, jack up the prices and produce the same stuff as they have.

Germany used to produce a lot of stuff like cameras , TVs, hi-fi, motorbikes and so on, but frequently get decimated due to complacency, high pricing and failure to adapt to the market.

They know they will get bailed out, so I'm not too upset about the Chinese.

I see your point, but I have no faith that German industry has any interest in innovation and offering value for money.

Do you really think that complacency was the only reason?

What about a higher standard of living in Germany vs China? Workers rights? Wages? Proximity to electronics suppliers? Energy costs? Warranties?

I was out for dinner recently, in China, with a supplier to our industry (automotive electronics). We finished at maybe 10pm, and their team went back to work, until 12am.

I don't know about you, but I have absolutely no desire to compete with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

20% on geely - does that mean volvos will go up then? 24k on top of already mad 120k ex90 would be almost 150k... Ffs that would be laughable!

Meddling with the market always ends in failure... history shows that multiple tines

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭65535

It is known that Euro MEP's sign in to the Parliment and then go next door to another building which is full of lobbists from the large companies VW, BMW etc.

It was only a matter of time before this happened - apparently USA has already done something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Obviously? There is plenty of domestic competition in China. Chinese government subsidy or not makes no difference, the strongest, most ruthless Chinese companies will produce the best and cheapest cars. Protecting our own (EU) lazy incumbents who are unwilling and unable to compete is not of benefit to the consumers over here. And it is utterly pointless as it is merely postponing the inevitable. A total waste of time and a hindrance to world trade. Which benefits everyone in the world. Now there is a real bit of economic theory for you that few economists disagree on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Oh the irony of this discussion via Chinese manufactured smartphones and laptops.

🤣🤣🤣

the Chinese are the ones metalling. The tariffs are to balance it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Maybe we should go back to the times of slave trade.

We could compete with these dastardly Chinese then.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,512 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So it isn't about the environment at all, it's only about economics?

Who would have thunk it?

This move is going to make it much much harder to sell increased environmental taxes to the masses in the future. The majority of people already see them as just a financial means to transfer more wealth to the already ultra wealthy

• Advertisement

No irony whatsoever - a sign of what will happen when European companies are destroyed.

A colleague of mine told me that Nokia was the best company he ever worked for - do you think many people are saying the same about Foxconn?

Are you glad about the demise of Philips? The emojis certainly make it appear so.

Lazy incumbents?

I work in the automotive industry, for a European company and work with the Chinese almost every day, and have been around China for weeks on end with work.

On occasion, potential suppliers of mine who I've been assessing have actually presented my own personal work back to me as their own. I mean stuff which I've spend months doing - copied verbatim and attempted to be sold back to me.

When I go into a factory, almost every Chinese robot and machine is a carbon copy of a European model. PLC code - copied and pasted from European and American world leaders.

Sure there's plenty of innovation going on in a country of 1.4Bn people, but the meteoric rise of the Chinese auto industry is on the back of years of European and Japanese innovation.

I'm not sure what you do for work, but I absolutely guarantee that if the Chinese government decided that they wanted to copy it, and then flood Ireland with cheaper version of the same thing, you wouldn't be cheering it on in the name of the consumer.

Advertisement