Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

decent enough in comparison to the some of the other names who were suggested here as possible refs: namely Adamson, Evans, Whitehouse, Murphy.

i would also have been happy with Davidson, Brace or Piaradi.

Busby is ok, Vedovelli is ok, Gnecchi is below ok. i haven't seen enough of Breakspear to make a decision.

Don't think any of the Irish refs could have been involved with Irish teams in both games.

It's bizarre how Frank Murphy can't ref Leinster v Bulls because he comes from Ireland, but apparently there is no issue with him reffing Munster v Leinster (for example) even though he comes from Munster, grew up in Munster, played for Munster, presumably supported Munster and continues to live in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I wonder what Leinster players we will see on the Emerging tour.

Last time around we gave 11/35 players to the tour initially (Ben Murphy was then called up too. Can't remember who else if anyone)

Given we're likely to be the primary suppliers to the Senior Squad for autumn I'd expect a similar number

I can see potentially:

Clarkson, Boyle, P McCarthy

G McCarthy

O'Tighearnaigh

Culhane, Penny

Gunne

Prendergast

McErlean, Russell

Possibly one too many props. A good opportunity for Clarkson to go I reckon.

Gus McCarthy has the high ceiling out of himself, Barron and McKee so probably most benefit in bringing him to develop as we have 4 good senior hooker options in Ireland

COT maybe a slightly left of field inclusion - but he is a very big boy at ~6'7" and ~120kgs. Should be given good opportunities to devlop on his size

As good a chance as any for Gunne to show what he's got

Yes I am sure people will say Sam will be rested after debuting for the seniors in Autumn haha but I'm not so sure (even if I'd be delighted by it). If he starts next season strongly he's absolutely in the shop window as the backup to Crowley is far from established and could well be him. There are 4 games in Autumn and while Farrell rarely makes wholesale changes in game blocks, there is definitely scope to include some new players.

However if he doesn't feature at senior level he is a shoo in for the Emergers.

No centres picked and while one could make a case for Brownlee and Turner, I think the ceilings of the likes of Forde, Gavin, O'Brien, Jennings and the likes are higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

I'd be in general agreement there, but don't rate Sam Grove-White.

Evans is improving, Whitehouse & Adamson have reached their ceiling.

Frank gets a lot of stick & little commendation when he does well.

Unfortunate that Brace, Busby, Cross (& even Frank) are all unavailable just on nationality grounds. Saw Vedovelli at the Sportsground recently and he went well. Gnecchi was ok until recent outings. Ben Breakspear is ok, but nowhere near a URC semi level.

Davidson is always impressive & has stepped up to near Elite level and would have been my preferred option for Loftus. MUN & G Warriors are welcome to Piardi, who like Gnecci has moments of inconsistency. Had thought Morne Ferreira might get that particular gig.

If all goes well this will be, hopefully, the last mention of the Refs this weekend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes I am sure people will say Sam will be rested after debuting for the seniors in Autumn

This tour is before the AIs, where I am convinced he will get his debut. And yeah, I'm not thrilled with the idea of him going to be honest as I'd rather he start the first 4 rounds of the URC but I'm resigned to it.

Could be a great opportunity for Gunne.

Penny should absolutely be nowhere near such a tour. I guess either COT or Deeny will go, but our depth at lock is seriously ropey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Whatever about COT I just can't see Deeney ever getting near an international side

• Registered Users Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Harsh from D'Arcy:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,215 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd expect Penny to go potentially as captain similar to how Deegan was captain at the same age in 2022. Guys like Frawley, Blade and Daly all went on the last tour also and were fairly established players so I'd imagine they'll take a smattering of experience again to allow a bit of cohesion and not a totally callow side.

Leinster had 11 players on the last tour including a couple of very fringe players like Andrew Smith and Culhane. I reckon we'll see similar numbers with a handful of the same guys going again. I think Deegan, Frawley, Milne, Osbourne and McCarthy will be removed from the squad and we'll see the likes of Gunne, Boyle, Barron, Gus McCarthy, COT, Turner, Brownlee, Russell, Mangan, Andrew Osbourne and Paddy McCarthy all in consideration.

Why shouldn't Penny go do you think?

I consider this tour an opportunity for those who have international potential to acclimatise with how Ireland do things in terms of training, tactics and overall approach to performance.

While there are rightly no immediate calls for Penny to be included in the Ireland squad I still do see a player who has international potential.

By the nature of what this tour is it will be catered more towards younger players and Penny will be 25 by the time this tour is on.

However the age profile of the prospective backrows here is skewed by the fact that the senior backrow postions in Ireland has been a closed shop for 3 seasons (and that's not a criticism. It's praise for how talented the Irish backrow is, how good their age profile is and how durable they have been)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Peter O Mahony has been written off more time than he's been written on, but his time is surely coming towards it's end. And in the meantime Ahern at munster and Baird at leinster have stepped up to replace him at Ireland and provincial level. With the likes of Conan, Deegan, Timony already internationals and prospects like Cormac Izuchukwu, Dave McCann, Ruahan Quinn, Culhane, Martin moloney and probably Murphy back at connacht this year, the field is seriously crowded.

Penny is often captain for leinster so leinster must see leadership qualities in him. Penny should go. Would likely captain the side.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

"shouldn't" is perhaps over the top, but he was on the last tour and he'll be pretty disappointed to be back in the same position. He'll be 25 and with over 50 Leinster caps and he's been in Irish training squads. That being said, I forgot Deegan toured last time, so I guess he would actually fit into that mould.

I agree we should be starting to phase out the players who wont be in the next world cup. Those being POM (37), Murray (37), Healy (40), Aki (37). I don't think it should happen all at once. Back row is certainly the easiest to bring in established players owing to the quality already in situ.

I think you're being a tad generous to Martin Moloney and Josh Murphy there. I wouldn't consider either of them viable options in Green with younger players already performing at a higher standard. Murphy himself will be 30 next season.

I would have Gleeson in the squad as one of the first names as I think he's a potential 50 cap number 8. Kendellen and Hodnett would also be in with a shout.

Also a huge fan of Dave McCann. I would have him as captain. And if I were Richie Murphy I'd be making him Ulster captain next season

No Objection to any of that. But someone mentioned Liam Turner earlier and he's unlikely to get a senior cap either.

They won't all be winners. For a lot of them they'll go, get a tour with more responsibility and an aspiration to develop into Ireland players. That has to be good for their development even if they never go on to play for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I have been thinking for a long time who are we going to bring to the next world cup and I came up with 3 players at each position:

LH: Andrew Porter, Jack Boyle, Tom O'Toole (makes the switch)

HKR: Dan Sheehan, Ronan Kelleher, Tom Stewart

TH: Tadhg Furlong, Oli Jager, Scott Wilson

LHLK: Joe McCarthy, Edwin Edogbo, Alan Spicer (Bit of a stretch if not Spicer then Cormac Izuchkwu)

THLK: James Ryan, Tadhg Beirne, Iain Henderson

B.S FLKR: Ryan Baird, Tom Ahern, Cian Prendergast

O.S FLKR: Josh Van Der Flier, Alex Kendellen, Ruadhán Quinn

N8: Caelan Doris, James Culhane, Brian Gleeson

SH: Craig Casey, Nathan Doak, Fintan Gunne

FH: Sam Prendergast, Jack Crowley, Ciaran Frawley

LW: Mack Hansen, James Lowe , Jacob Stockdale

IC: Robbie Henshaw, Cathal Forde, Hugh Gavin

OC: Garry Ringrose, ,Jamie Osborne, James Hume

RW Calvin Nash, Robert Baloucoune, Jordan Larmour

FB Hugo Keenan, Henry McErlean, Jimmy O'Brien

Lot of good players in there obviously, but to me the two guys who I'd have as closer than some of those selected are David McCann and Matthew Devine. I think both look like excellent international prospects.

Obviously a few others I'd disagree with or would be very surprised if they pressed on to that extent in that timeframe (James Culhane, Henry McErlean, Ruadhan Quinn, Alan Spicer) but a lot can obviously change very quickly.

I think in the near future, Ireland are going to start prioritising added bulk when it comes to the forwards. That's why I have added James Culhane, Ruadhan Quinn and Alan Spicer.

David McCann and Matthew Devine are definitely two players I can see making an Irish squad. McCann is a scoring machine but I look at him and keep thinking he is going to fall into the Gavin Coombes utility forward role that while it helps your team as a whole, it doesn't seem to be rewarded by the current Irish set up who seem to like to have players in defined roles. Devine could very easily get into the setup but I am just such a fan of Casey, Doak and Gunne. Casey and Gunne offer lightning quick ball and Doak offers more physicality as well as good place kicking.

I think I'm alot higher on Henry McErlean than most but I think he is a wonderful footballer and has bags of potential. There is plenty of talent to keep Ruadhan Quinn out of an Irish jersey but I just have such strong feelings that he is going to be a monster for Munster in the near future.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I just think even logistically, for that to happen, Conan needs to be moved aside by Culhane relatively soon to get the gametime he'd need to build a case for international inclusion.

I'd rate Devine more highly than Gunne or Doak at this juncture, and think he's the most similar in style to JGP. On Doak, it's easy sometimes to forget just how young he is and he's accumulated a huge amount of game time for a guy who doesn't turn 23 till December, but I still think he's had a poor season and is kind of regressing at the moment. Hopefully Richie Murphy can turn him around as he's obviously talented.

I think Culhane will get brought to the emerging Irish tour and do fairly well for himself. Leo clearly has alot of faith in him and I think he is going to push on sooner rather than later.

With Devine, I do see the similarity to JGP but I just have watched alot more Fintan Gunne as I've been watchin him since his old belvo days. I also wouldn't be shocked if JGP is still knocking around next world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Based on what I have seen I think Doak could jump everyone to take over from JGP, I think he has all the skills but was playing to a game plan.With Murphy now onboard he will play more rugby similar to Ireland and wil progress quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Culhanes season was wrecked by injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭johnh6767

hard to argue, great list and well thought through, will generate lots of interesting debate but a great starting point well done

he’s a great footballer but not a scrum half , could well be a utility player in the future , but not at Frawleys level

I rate Culhane very highly it will be great to see him back in the mix and like you I’ve watched him through Blackrock all the way up. Devine I haven’t seen enough of but Gunne is a class act and will be hard to beat , the competition will make them all stronger players

I don't see JGP being usurped over the next few years.

He will be "only" 34 at the next world cup and has a (touch wood) good injury profile

I'm not so sure on Doak at all tbh. I was much more convinced of him at under20s.

Now a new coach/ environment can absolutely bring out the best in a player (Patterson at Munster a very apt example)

And Murphy being a skills coach by trade might well help Doak immeasurably.

Having said all that. He has 71 caps for Ulster and just completed his 3rd full senior season so in terms of physical development - we should be seeing him peak nicely.

I don't think his pass is quick enough. It was a point I picked up on at U20s but assumed it would develop as he matured physically. I'm yet to see it. His motion is too laboured and they tend to fall away after 10m.

I think Doak will be a provincial stalwart at Ulster and get a handful of International caps. But after 3 seasons I was hoping and am thus far disappointed in his passing improvement.

Hopefully a full preseason with Murphy improves him and changes my opinion!

I could very easily see JGP at the next world cup but I can't see him in a starting role. Having him come off the bench would be excellent in the final 20 minutes of a match,

He's 32 now and born in Feb. He'll be 35 at the next world cup, won't he? (Saying this with less confidence than I should have with simple addition)

34 or 35 is pushing it for scrum half. He might be a brilliant bench option but I'd like to have one of the others improve to usurp him by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

A lot of his game is speed to ruck etc, he might not have as many minutes on the clock as his early career was a lot of subs but I would be surprised if he was still the starting 9 for Ireland come the next WC, surprised but not shocked after 56 year old Sexton

Sorry yeah you're right he'll be 35.

Might be a bit on the older side alright and a lot can change in the next 3 years in terms of players stepping up.

I think of Scrumhalves and how well players do later in their careers

But at present there isn't anyone in an asses roar of him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I wonder does Connors start this one. I think given the way the Bulls try to generate momentum by using powerful carriers his tackling would be useful to have. On the other hand you'd only get 35 minutes of van der Flier then. But maybe it'd be better to have van der Flier fresh for a potential final…

Advertisement