Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well yeah, that's precisely what I was saying.

Of course however, you will be reluctant to admit that it also applies to the Right on this issue too — or at least the section of the Right who thinks "this is all because we have uNcOnTroLLeD oPeN bOrDeRs and the politicians are stupid and loony lefties and the NGOs control everything and, hey, check out these guys who say we need a common sense immigration policy whereby immigration is set at ideal levels that do not have bad outcomes for native people and the refugee system doesnt ever allow bogus claims through and deportations will be done easily and it will be impossible for any foreign person who comes into the country to ever commit a crime. Wow sign me up."

Both as bad as eachother.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Lofidelity

That didn't last long. Tent city is back on Leeson bridge this afternoon. They just moved across the road.

Looking at the election results, most people either don't care or feel the government are doing a good job handling the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Quags

Majority of people who voted for the Gov are not being affected by this. You look at how long they were at the IPO office before being moved then they moved to a more affluent area and bang moved asap. Its the same storyline as usual, working class get the whip while the upper class hold the stick

Until it really affects those areas then the Gov are safe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Augme

The voting public have well and truly but that one to bed. There's no interest in pulling the plug on asylum obligations barring a tiny minority.

When did I say peole have no legal right to be here soundtracks be ejected? Quote the post where I said that.

Yes they are. Hence the reason they are constantly linking the housing crisis and asylum seekers. It's been a constant. So you don't think we should let any foreigners into the country? As you say, adding more to the list is just stupid after all.

We will agree to disagree on that one. The little regard for genuine cases is pushed by people says Ireland is full, what's happening is a plantation, Muslims don't align with our culture, our culture and traditions are the most important thing. It's pushed by people who don't like foreigners, hence the reason they are think most Ukrainians should be sent back home at this stage as well. "Sure there's only a war in one half of the country."

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Lofidelity

Im not disagreeing but Mount st leads directly into Ballsbridge and thats as affluent as it gets. I think the government just didnt know what to do when tents appeared in public first. Those old rich folks in Ballsbridge/Ranelagh would be traditionally FG voters and many of the comfortable, liberal, middle class office workers commuting past the tents would vote SD and Labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LongfordMB

Newsflash. Something can exacerbate a problem without being the sole cause of a problem.

But I thought the non genuine asylum seekers were ruining our tourist industry because they are taking up all are hotel spaces? Is there anything they haven't ruined?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DaithiMa

No, Roderic O'Gorman is ruining the tourist industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Far too much common sense and cop on in this post. Easy now . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

The older people who in the majority own their property outright?

They don't give a rats rear-end about other people's struggle to get on the housing ladder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

“The voting public have well and truly but that one to bed. There's no interest in pulling the plug on asylum obligations barring a tiny minority.” @Augme not so fast. Let’s not forget how the government implemented some cuts on supports before the election

The government have never regened on their legal obligations and have made it clear they never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

Application for asylum can only be made when somebody is already in the country. They don't have a legal obligation to allow anybody to enter the country. The government has certainly reneged on its duty of care towards the people of Ireland and that includes all legal immigrants here. If the government behaved in a responsible manner that young Japanese man working in Dundalk wouldn't have been murdered back in 2018 by a criminally insane illegal immigrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Maybe people here on this thread are fed up .certainly looks that way as another poster said ' 834'+ 'pages in .

But according to our recent election results only a very small.percentage are very fed up too ./s

Maybe a GE will tell us exactly how many are really fed up and how many are just spinning a narrative ? !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Why the main party councillers being voted for back and forth over the years to fill the potholes. Hows the European parliment looking there gauging from your response here. Not looking as lefty as it once did. Minority. That one made me laugh. Any more good ones there.

They have a legal obligation to process any request from asylum. As soon as someone lands on the island of Ireland and makes a request from asylum Ireland has a legal obligation to process that application. Whether the person arrived here legally or not is completely irrelevant in the eyes of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Well there was a piss poor turn out for this. Reckon the General will be a different beast altogether.

You mean that European Parliament where the vast majority are centre right or left wing? What about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Damien360

This may come as a surprise to you but those older people have adult children and possibly grandkids. They definitely give a damn because they don't want them stuck with them forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,693 ✭✭✭✭klose

The travellers beside the field where they’re due to build modular homes for Ukrainians in Clonmel have been told they have to move their horses to facilitate the building, and there’s nowhere else to put them.

Massive powder keg, one to keep an eye on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LongfordMB

Well independent ireland actually got more council seat than the Greens, a party that are 40+ years old. And Niall Boylan finished 5th out of nowhere and without getting any RTE debate time.

I'd call that a good start and shot across the bow of our NGO / media / political nexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And this far too accommodating approach is thus souring public opinion against genuine hard cases that deserve asylum here.

It's like war or famine reportage - at first people are horrified at the images, then then get inured and couldn't care less.

That is getting to where we are going - many don't care much anymore, too many chancers. Throw em all out etc.

Many do care. Hence the reason at the ballot box the "threw them all out" brigade were utterly rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭dublin49

if the Government dont get a handle on this issue opposition will definitely escalate,my opinion has hardened this year and I hear much more negative sentiment among peers then was the case last year,secondly I dont think being wary of the large amount of Muslims settling here is wrong given the unrest and misgivings being expressed in other EU countries about the same thing.It took us long enough to throw off the yoke of the Catholic Church for us to embrace another religion that is way more intolerant than the Catholic church.

Post edited by dublin49 on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I disagree with this.

Out of the three government parties, the Greens are by far the most vociferous voice in having unrestricted migration. How did it go for them? Well they lost over half their councillors and likely to lose both their MEP's.

If people did care about refugees, they wouldn't have been punished as badly as they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'd temper your judgement if I were you. So called 'far right' candidates did far better than many others, they may not have been elected but stayed stubbornly on the lists gaining transfers, before running out of lower candidates.

Then we have the more moderate voices of Independent Ireland, brand new party and critical of state policy on immigration doing pretty well. Blighe one of those you dislike I suspect, got a healthy 25,000 1st preferences. McNamara not exactly a fan of immigration policy looks set to be elected.

Stick yer heads in the sand, but the game has changed.

Lol. Talk about clutching a straws. The throw them out brigade were utterly rejected at the ballot box. That's a fact, there's no getting away from it. If people did want refugees gone they'd have elected people who expressed those views, but that didn't happen. Just accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Babyreignbow

I can't speak for everyone else but I'm more fed up having to witness to the anger and hatred inflicted upon this island by the anti immigrant section of it. I mean I understand the level of frustration it has caused and empathise with the plight of the Irish people in terms of housing and healthcare but the depth of insipid bile inducing twisted psychopathic rage filled xenophobia and bigotry that's on display in this country every day of the week is absolutley cellularly soul destroying. From burning down centers to physical assaults on the streets and the utter contempt displayed at "peaceful" protests outside politicians homes. It's insanity. We're tired of the insanity.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Given the amount of misinformation around immigration I think a public information campaign would be warranted.

This could provide information on the history of the asylum system, an impartial synopsis of the arguments for and against the system as it is, and impartial synopsis of the arguments for and against commonly proposed changes to the systems we have.

Given the level of public concern around the issue I think some public service broadcasting on the issue would be useful too. I think a series of documentaries on how other countries are approaching these issues would be very valuable.

I'd guess those already taken in by the far-right/anti-immigration movements would dismiss it all as far-left, elite or NGO propaganda but it would be helpful to those open to making informed decisions.

• Advertisement

As above, utter rejection. Was it three or four far right candidates voted in out of 949. That says it all. Independent Ireland elected who just didn't want them in their own backyard, beyond that they didn't give a ****. Blighe's thief. Not to mention i think an Irexit has to be one of the dumbest ideas anyone can put forward. How anyone can think we won't sink like a stone is beyond me. I've also absolutely no time for pro-liferd either. You must be a fan of those policies though? But yes, I very much dislike him. And thankfully so does the electorate. He's gotten no where near getting a seat.

McNamara has always been a huge fan of immigration actually. In fact, he's been very critical in the past that we've not done more for refugees.

If you think Ireland are going to voter for pro-life, Irexiters like Blighe en masse then the whole person with their head in the sand is you.

Advertisement