Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options
1547548549550551553»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Oxo Moran

Who said it was a success? You asked were the votes went? I pointed out they gained votes.

They dropped in the polls in the lead up. I get why FF/FG are citing polls and not seats won/lost, but lets not confuse the two.

My spin? I heard her. She was bullshitting. That's what politicians do. Of course it was a major kick in the teeth for them.

They see the island as one. They would lose all credibility if they cut ties with NI. Even FF flirt with NI.

Like what? I can't think of any scandals that would eclipse FG's own selection.

Whatever the disadvantages, they gained seats. FF/FG/Green, lost seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,629 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

But that is the key point -

"They see the island as one. They would lose all credibility if they cut ties with NI."

But I would argue in theory only. The reality is there are TWO defacto SF parties for two jurisdictions with two different leaders tailored to the two different mindsets.

In theory SF can say "WE" are the only party who covers the whole island. However, in a practical sense they are two very different SF's with different rhetoric's as they have to deal with two very different poltical landscapes and mindsets. Yeah, they can join together at Republican funerals or the their Ardfheis or whatever.

But SF in both jurisdictions are on different paths to one another, as in order to get elected in the ROI it cannot be the the same as NI. SF will get "elected" in NI no matter what they say. And NI politics is not real practical politics it is fundamentally symbolism above all else. Pure symbolism does not cut in ROI politics. The electorate are more discerning.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It reads like you are trying to show there are in fact two SF's. We must remember that as they are two different jurisdictions, they of course need to be different animals in practice.

There's no theory, they are an all Ireland party. MLMD is the president. She's MON party leader.

I agree on the state of NI politics. Any southern led party with representation in NI, would need to adapt. For your theory to hold weight we would need dismiss the SDLP, DUP, Alliance and so on. That's denying the NI statelet it's democracy, whatever form it takes. Also we have more than our fair share of people who will vote for a party no matter what they get up to, based on family allegiances. It's these allegiances that keep FF/FG on life support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The usual waffle..Family allegiances yada yada.

Shinners took a good tonking ..time to own up and stop the auld flapping around being outraged.

Good opposition doesn't owe its success by stuff like " We think they should have given more" We think it is a missed opportunity" "it showed lack of ambition" and other types of crud.

The taxpayer has to fund these projects, there is a limited sum to the taxpayers contribution, people are not stupid enough to believe that Shinners in Govt will suddenly, as they try to portray , solve everything at the drop of a hat.

Any family knows that you have to cut your cloth to suit your means otherwise its trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dan Steely

Heard Pearse giving out in the Dail about an issue I'm personally involved in.

Thought I'd drop him a line with my thoughts so went on the oireachtas website.

Clicked on the link to his personal website. 404.

Sent an email to his listed Gmail address. Bounced.

Sent an email to his listed oireachtas address. No reply 10 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

There you go…..exactly as I described…. full flapper mode… no substance.

Pure facade.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,629 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You seem to be talking in circles on the one hand you agree that SF are "two different animals" in the two jurisdictions. That is a fact in my view. But At least we agree on that much.

In my mind that is one party in theory, but two parties in practice.

You mention the SDLP Alliance etc. It's my view that only when those parties are favoured by the electorate basically the "middle ground" NI cannot move forward. The DUP and SF are just two sides of the same coin. They just drag each other down together. Trying to get constant oneupmanship.

From a ROI point of view what is SF's next move? Start getting back in touch with the working class roots and accept the the "New SF" vote will not materialise enough to get them in government? I heard mention by one of the left parties saying all of the left parties should make a pact to work together to keep FG/FF out of government.

But let's be honest that is not really likely they are too mixed. And out for their own parties interests.

I think SF would honestly be better off in opposition for the next 15 years or so, until they find their feet from a strategic point of view. And the more shady aspects of SF have literally died off. Talk of governance is way too soon for them.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The online SF accounts on boards are going back into full force at the moment, it's back to the good old days of McMurphy tactics to shut down SF threads across boards.

Seems to be the same across all social media, it looks like SF didn't take the results of the local election as well as some people are claiming, so they think the best option is to start attacking everyone online that doesn't agree with them.

Slow to learn SF, they haven't figured that online abuse for the last 4 years is not really getting the rewards they thought, so instead of stopping it they go full force

• Advertisement

No. They are the same party operating in two different jurisdictions. Of course they have to adapt, due to the different rules and regulations.

That's fine, but MLMD is the leader in fact.

No idea. I would like to see them push on housing and health. Like all the other ongoing crises, immigration will likely drop from the headlines in the coming days. When they were at 30+ in the polls they were no different than what they are now. I don't see a need for any rebrand, just less jumping on band wagons. The hate speech bill will be the next disaster for anyone who openly supports it.

I'm more interested in the good of the country. Sitting in opposition, by choice, for strategy isn't very honourable IMO. We need FF/FG out yesterday. As expected, the Greens are all but shutting the door behind themselves.

Too soon? When you look at Harris and McEntee, all the time in the world won't make them competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Was McMurphy the lad with 50 accounts? Unhinged.

Cost SF votes. People dont like zealots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

That's the one, but it seems the model is back. Personal attacks on posters, snide comments, spamming threads with nonsense to stop discussing the topic

Pulling posts from one thread and copying them onto another was the carry on today

Absolute nonsense and that's just on boards. It's like the wild west on other platforms

the results of the election really haven't gone down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Even if the online stuff had nothing to do with the actual SF political party who knows, the fact SF attract an almost deranged level of online support is an issue in its self.

All political parties have online support but SF online support seems to be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's that the support is so unwilling to actually talk about SF policies, it's all deflection and empty statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Not really worth the while stating clear policies when you change them to catch every passing headline, jump on any bandwagon

Advertisement