Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New slurry tanker

Options
  • 10-06-2024 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭

My tanker is a 2006, bought in 2019 and going since. Both tyres are now fecked and have been quoted by my tyre man €3k to replace, and he doesn't recommend to buy them as they are **** tyres! I'll also need a dribble bar/shoe/something on the back to get back onside of the law, which I've been flouting for 2 years now 😐️ I reckon the cost to upgrade would be around €15k.

I priced a 2nd hand 2016 outfit with Abbey and was asked €27k.

I'm thinking going new and getting the VAT back, plus the grant and I'd have a new machine for under €25k (how much under depends of course on the asking price and the 40/60% grant). I'd also be able to sell my existing tank then to reduce the outlay more.

In my eyes, this seems doable and the logical approach. Am I horsing?

Few new prices I've got are 2400 gallon Hispec with shoe (42k), 2500 gallon Abbey with shoe (45k). Waiting on a quote from Conor and Major

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

our major tank with 7.5m trailingshoe was 42k inc vat 3 years ago. It’s galvanised too. I resisted buying a new tank for 2 years at the time, I was only ever looking for 2nd hand ones to put a dribble bar onto. Delighted we bought it since. Should have a good tank for a very long time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭visatorro

Ever regret not getting a nine meter dribble bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I find unless all your ground is level you run the danger of hitting ot off the ground in ruts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

New major 2000 gallon with shoe is €43,000 Inc vat.Thats with 800 tyres,hydraulic changeover,3 fill valves,side inspection hatch and fully galvanised.Will cost me €13000-€14000 after I get the tams and vat back.If your stocking rate is over 130kg/N per Ha you will be ineligible for the LESS tams since January,next year its 100 and the year after no one will be able to apply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Dunedin

how do you get vat back on a tanker? Are you contracting?

• Advertisement

Yea I'm vat registered and doing a bit of contracting

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭eire23

I'm sort of in a similar position myself. I'm under the 100kg n per ha stocking rate but with next year being the last year for the grant if I don't buy a tank then I never well. Say for a 2000 gallon tank with shoe coming in at 43k, how much will tanks actually cover? Will it come close to 60% of the price minus the vat? Or are the costings for it way out of spec?

Alternatively maybe those of us under 100kg n per ha will be allowed spread away with the splash plate. Probably wishfull thinking.

Tams will cover up to €40k+vat for tanker and shoe,anyone who is remotely interested in applying for a tanker should put in a application on agfood straight away if your eligible.will take a few months for approval and will have 12 months to buy a tanker once approved.y

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭hopeso

Probably wishful thinking too…..but I wonder if the price of tankers will soften after the grant disappears?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

In late 21 I got a 2000 gal tank and dribble bar, sitting on 800s and galvanised. It was 35k inc vat. After the grant it was around 17k. Financed it over 5 years with half yearly payments of a little over €1800. Heavy ground means that relying on contractors is difficult. Independence is key. 8 hrs yesterday had nearly 50k gallons of slurry out.

On a side note, it has to be fully paid before you can submit the claim. Financed with aib in 2 separate loans, one for the tams amount and this was a working capital loan. The balance was a tams loan. From paying for the tank to grant money in my account it was approx 4 weeks and the working capital loan cleared. I submitted the application and claim myself.

For anyone here thinking of the tams route, you will do the application and claim very easy yourself on agfood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Is there any makes to avoid? Which shoe/bar would be best? For 2,500g and attachment, would 130HP handle it OK?

120hp 4 pot pulling a 2000g when it meets a hill, it's dying while spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Grueller

Small or big wheels on the tanker? I pulled a friends 2000g with small wheels and it was honestly a lot harder than a 2300 with big wheels.

Big wheels, but you have a lot going on, PTO at low revs, oil pumping and forward momentum. Bit of clever thinking. Using pressure In the tank and momentum before engaging PTO can sort a lot. It's just a different way of thinking.

What do ye think of Conor tanks? Are they well built or light or what's the story? Price is competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Did ya consider belmac?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Have a 2500 trailing shoe for the last 3 years, no issues only a couple of broken shoe springs, priced other tanks but I didn't see the benefit of spending 10,000 on another make when it does the same thing.

Lad down the road has one but isn't a fan of it. Says it feels very unbalanced behind the tractor compared to his old ruscon. Nevertheless, I'll price them up.

Update on the prices I've gathered so far (in case anyone else is curious)

• 2400 gallon Hispec with shoe (42k)
    • 2500 gallon Abbey with shoe (45k)
    • 2500 gallon Conor with shoe (39.5k)

I'll keep updating the prices sure as I get them. It annoys me something terrible that people keep prices of stuff a secret!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭hopeso

Are they all using the same shoe? The shoe and macerator is the most complex part of the machine, and should be considered as much, or more so than the tanker itself…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

what are you getting for the money youve quoted?? inlet macerator? size vac pump? tank galvinised?

• Advertisement

Alerna macerator here and finding it good. The only blockages I got were on the last load of the tank. Easily sorted by reversing the flow by switching the direction of the spool valve. Wear parts are way cheaper than the mastek. Haven't even had to look at that yet. Make sure there is an air seal/ gap between macerator and hydraulic motor turning it. If not you could end up with slurry mixing with the backend oil if the seal goes

@roosterman71 make sure to look at a wide angle PTO, extra fill points even if blanked and 800 tyres. 2 fill points on the side of the tank are handy. Grasstech tank here by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

The hi spec is 2300 and won’t come with 800 tyres unless you look for them but are a fine tank. Only get a mastek macerator

Good questions and should have stated. I looked for 3 inlets on all machines. Never asked for inlet macerator or specified 800 tyres. Never thought of it to be honest. Our own tank is on the 28.1R26 tyres and they're fine for what I'm at. What's the advantage of 800s over them? Wide angle PTO specified too. Haven't been told what the pump is putting out bar the Hi spec which is 11,000l. Never specified the shoe makes. However, Conor is Mastek, Abbey have their own brand. Dunno the Hispec one

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭V6400

Hi Spec are putting 800s on everything 1600 and up, I bought a 1600 in January and was told they are now standard. A big thing to look at aswell is how the tank is balanced, I know a lad with a 1700 major who said it can lift his 150hp massey when half full on hills and another lad actually left back a 1500 major because 120hp 6 cylinder valmet couldnt get grip on the back wheels. I've so far had no issues with the 1600 Hi Spec on 100hp 4 cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭davidk1394

It'd be interesting to price an S&M slurry tank. They're made in Templemore, won't be the cheapest but definitely the strongest. After pulling a lot of different slurry tanks, I found the Hi Spec to be the best balanced but it had the noisiest pump. Conor are a grand tank but not the strongest built. The tyres they use are dirt cheap and the side walls crack after a few years. I know of two farmers near me with conor tanks and the tyres have to be replaced.

Could you hold off a few months? It'd be interesting to see what way prices go.

Did a full day yeasterday with my 135hp 4cy massey and new 2000 major tank with trailing shoe.No issues what so ever,steep enough pull out of the back of the yard her3 on a rough track with the full load but didn't need 4wd on all the same.On steep ground when using the trailing shoe you just need to learn a few tricks,like working the full tank down hill and do the steeper bits half empty using the vacuum to spread with the pto off and give the engine more revs..

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭MANSFIELD

Does the Alrena macerator have an air seal gap between macerator and hydraulic motor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

What size hi spec were you pulling. I think they have some sort of a muffler on the exhaust now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Looking for a small tanker - 1300. What are they making new? I'm thinking there should be plenty second hand with lads going for grant and bigger tanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭V6400

Could have been the operators were the issue so or maybe the bigger tank would be longer and better balanced? Was enough to put me off having intended on going for the 1700 major. Yea after a couple of loads you get the hang of it. A lot of people would put you off saying they’re complicated but thought omit straightforward enough.

Advertisement