Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭greasepalm

My thoughts are you will have issues not in setting up the box but for having the ability of viewing in all rooms will need 3 feeds of cable 2 for sat and 1 saorview.

You will need a newer lnb with more feeds as the one with sky q is different.

I prefare a box with its own HDD and when full move stuff to a NAS drive from router.

I have never setup a NAS for recording from multiple boxes or if possible at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭andy1249

Zgemma is a budget box.

For what you describe , Get a Unicable II LNB and a box with FBC tuners.

Gigablue and VU+ do boxes with FBC tuners.

For example , Ive got a VU+ Duo 4K SE box with Twin FBC tuners , and twin DVB-C/T tuner.

I can record 8 satellite stations and 2 terrestrial at the same time.

This can be the main box and any other enigma 2 box or compatible device with an enigma2 plugin/playback capability can playback or record on/from this box. ( Kodi , Plex ( with pass ) etc. )

Cheap , single tuner boxes like Zgemma , Octagon S8008 , etc can be used in client mode with the main box as the server. This can be done over the home network , no need for a cable feed at all if using Wi-fi.

Unicable can be split , so only one feed is required from the satellite dish and one from an aerial for Saorview.

Firesticks , Nvidia Shield , anything running plex( with pass ) or Kodi can connect to the main box to set recordings and use one of its many tuners to view live TV.

https://www.satworld.ie/inverto-unicable-ii-programmable-lnb-with-32ub-en.html

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B08HJJR6PD?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭swoofer

andy with that twin dtt you can record all of saorview at same time. And that link for vu box is blutooth remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Thanks a lot,sounds like just what I need.

I have a hybrid LNB on the Sky dish, so I guess I’d need to change it to the one you linked to. Then use one of the satellite cables to the main box, and I can use the second satellite cable to feed from an aerial to the main box as these are already ran in.

I’d intend to put the new box in a rack, and then hdmi from it to my main tv. Then standard zgemmas or firesticks at the other tvs? Have I got that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Thank you for that also. I’ll leave the NAS stand alone then.

• Advertisement

Yup , thats correct , I have mine in a cabinet , Octagon S8008 in the kitchen , Zgemma H82h as a client in one of the bedrooms , Firestick 4K max in another , and various Computers / ipads / phones etc. all using either Kodi or Plex as an enigma2 client.

Note: Firestick works much better if you buy the ethernet adaptor , its a bit flaky over wi fi ( but that is going to vary by household , Wi fi is heavily contested in our house ….. )

Kodi has an enigma2 plugin for TV which should work on any computer ,

Plex : you must buy a plex pass , there was a deal on a lifetime pass last year and I bought it. It cannot do TV as an enigma2 client on the free version.

All the clients rely on inputting the IP address of the main box into its settings , so its a good idea to give it a static IP address , otherwise if it changes ( after a powercut or something ) you have to adjust all the devices when it comes back online.

Thats the box I bought from Germany , The DVB C/T tuner has one physical connection , split on the inside to two tuners , so 10 tuners in all.

I have two of these boxes , One from WOS and one from Amazon

There are two physical FBC tuners , but you only need to fix a cable to one of them , and each of those has 3 leaf tuners , so 8 satellite tuners in all.

There are various options on this VU+ box , there are many for sale on amazon with various configurations , for Ireland you want twin FBC and DVB-C/T tuners , they pop up for sale every now and again at varying prices.

The tuners are separate cards that go into slots , a bit like expansion cards in a PC , the tuner cards can be bought separately but are very expensive that way.

The one I linked too is the BT edition , meaning the remote is both IR and Blutooth , handy if you want the box in a cabinet out of line of sight. The Remote is silver and heavier than the ordinary VU+ Duo 4K SE remote.

The box is expensive compared to a Zgemma , but built like a tank and super fast compared to Zgemma or Octagon boxes.

Vu+ vs Zgemma would be like say SkyQ vs Sky HD

( I have a lot of enigma 2 boxes at the moment , a hobby that's getting a bit out of hand , The Octagon S8008 is a real tinkerers dream , 4 image slots and an SD card slot that will extend image slots infinitely depending on size ….. and Define OS as its base system , any image can be downloaded and installed , no USB sticks required, and booting between images is easy and fast )

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Thanks @swoofer for taking the time to respond.
    With respect though, I don't think this is a case of wanting the E2 software to "work like sky". My observations so far are compared to "all" modern UIs.

I get that the configurability of E2 sets it apart from Sky. I get that there are context sensitive options in menus meaning that remote buttons can do different things and it may be hard to reassign their function without breaking sub menu context etc.
    But, so far I have not found a reason why "TV/Fav" or "File List" couldn't be assigned to bring up their respective menus from ANY submenu. They don't seem to have a conext sensitive function anywhere - yet I didn't see a way to do this in the button remapping. On that note. TV and FAV seem to be a complete duplication? is there any difference?

This is not a hangover from having used sky, it is just something that most UIs provide for.

I did have the Skyk skin on previously - just to help the Mrs get used to things, but it was suggested stability or functionality might be better with the default? So far, I've not noticed any improvement.
    I do prefer the default myself as there is less temptation on herself to expect it to function like Sky. lol

I've not played with multiple images yet although it was on my mind. I was worried I would bork something and have the long job of setting it back up.
    I might try and clone the current image to another slot and then upgrade it…. see what happens.

Deleted due to missing quote…

Can I just ask…
    other than replacing the LNB, do you need to swap out coax too?

If I have a sky+ quad LNB with 2 coax feeds currently, and a single terrestrial coax feed….
    How many simultaneous channels could I get?

• Advertisement

No , Coax is Coax , no need to change it.

FBC tuners will work with " Legacy " LNB's , but they work exactly the same as legacy LNB's in that case.

So two coax feeds will behave exactly the same as an old Sky HD legacy LNB , record one , watch another etc.

Its the addition of the Unicable II LNB that makes the full use of the FBC tuners possible.

If you are going unicable , make sure its a Unicable II with enough User bands. The one I linked has 32 User bands , and each of the tuners used with the LNB must be set to a unique user band.

So for example , with the VU+ box that I have , the FBC tuners have one cable attached to tuner A and is set up in Openvix as follows ….. you might want to copy this next bit and print it out , very useful if you buy unicable …..

Unicable 2 LNB attached to Tuner A

Tuner AConfiguration mode: Advanced
    Satellite: 28.2E
    LNB: LNB 1
    Priority: Auto
    Type of LNB/Device: SCR(Unicable/Jess)
    SCR (Unicable/JESS) type: LNB
    Manufacturer: Inverto
    Model: IDLU-32UL42-UNB00-0PP
    Position: 1
    Channel: User band 1 (1210)
    Connected: No
    DiSEqC mode: None
    Force legacy signal stats: No

Tuner BConfiguration mode: Advanced
    SCR (Unicable/JESS) type: LNB
    Channel: User band 2 (1420)
    Connected: Yes
    Connected to: Tuner A (one with wire attached)

Tuner CConfiguration mode: Advanced
    Channel: User band 3 (1680)

Tuner DConfiguration mode: Advanced
    Channel: User band 4 (2040)

Tuner EConfiguration mode: Advanced
    Channel: User band 5(984)

Tuner FConfiguration mode: Advanced
    Channel: User band 6(1020)

Tuner GConfiguration mode: Advanced
    Channel: User band 7(1056)

Tuner HConfiguration mode: Advanced
    Channel: User band 8 (1092)

DVB C/T tuners are set up separately as you would with any Terrestrial tuners.

Note that depending on the order the tuner cards were installed , DVB tuners may be A and B or I and J , regardless , follow the general idea above. Each tuner must have a different user band , and each " connected too " the one with the actual cable attached.

Also , you can split unicable , splitters are available for peanuts off amazon , however you cannot have two different boxes using the same user bands. So for example , in my case , I have multiple boxes working off the single cable coming from the LNB , and have crossed off the User bands in use on each box. 1 to 8 on the first VU box , 9 to 18 on the second VU box , 19 on the Zgemma single tuner H82h box , 20 on the single tuner octagon box , and so on ……. still have 12 user bands free …… The user bands are usually either listed on the box or in a downloadable PDF , Im attaching the pdf for unicable II LNB I linked too …… note the list of user bands , very important !!!

@andy1249 That all makes sense. Thank you.
    I was wondering about coax because of the difference between 50Ohm and 75Ohm but its good to know that it wont be an issue.

WRT the terrestrial tunner that goes into the VU+…
    Does it allow both frequencies at the same time? (proper twin tuner, I guess) so could you record both RTE1 and RTE2 at the same time? (you seem to be saying that you can above but wanted to make sure)

As an asside…
    With the number of Sat tuners you have in the VU+ box, was using the other boxes as clients instead of splitting the feed from the LNB an option?
    I'm guessing that a client box only uses ethernet which will be easier to run for me…
    Any operational pros and cons to consider there?

The Terrestrials are separate , no issues recording any Saorview channels at the same time.

You can use the other boxes as clients no problem , but each one takes up a tuner from the main box when in use.

Any client , regardless of how its connected , must have a tuner , and it will always take the next free one on connection , which gets highlighted yellow in openvix when its in use.

So say for example , Im watching something , someone else logs in on the ipad and watches something whilst someone else on one of the other boxes decides to record something and watch something , then thats 4 tuners in use on the main box.

With 10 tuners in all on 1 VU + box , there should be plenty of clients for most , but I can envisage it not being enough , especially this weekend , when the BBC will be showing Glastonbury across all 4 HD channels , I dont want other users taking tuners and leaving me with less than 4 …….

Also , as said , Im enjoying playing with these boxes at the moment , just to see what can or cant be done with some of them.

The single tuner boxes are cheap , Im just toying with them , so far the VU+ boxes are the workhorses , the rest are for tinkering , the octagon S8008 is being used to try other images and see what they can do , so far , nothing beats openvix for me.

The Zgemma H82h was only 50 quid , and it wasnt worth it , its really slow , and high bitrate channels freeze on it , the epg comes up as soon as you press the button , but is blank for a couple of seconds while it loads it , and the same again every time you go to a new page….. I wouldnt recommend it.

To replicate Sky Q with slave boxes , I'd go VU + and Octagons , or Firesticks etc.

Yeah I get that a tuner somewhere will be used for every channel that is being viewed or recorded. I guess I was thinking that with 2 sat feeds in, there would be a possibility of 16 different channels simultaneously? accross recordings and clients, that seems like a lot - unless you have access to more channels than me ;) or your house are heavy users. (I'm basing that on you having one feed and 8 tuners)

And if I have it correct on the terrestrial… There are only 2 frequencies (with all channels split accross both) so a twin tunner can receive both frequencies simultaneously allowing an infinite number of clients to view any terrestrial channel. In theory.

I flashed mine to the latest (last) 6.5 image last night and was able to group the recorded programs finally! Thats a big plus.
    But I still can't see anywhere to limit the timeshift…

I might look into 6.6. Or is the 1st release usually a bit flakey?

Are there any additional programs that you run on the Vu+ that make it a better choice than the Zgemma? I'm thinking like Kodi for example, (I heard that the H7s is can run it but isn't really powerful enough?) or maybe stremio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I've toyed with going the Unicable route a few times over the years, but with 4 legacy tuners available, I've never really been able to justify needing more.

I'm curious about one thing though. Mu understanding is that a single cable (connected to one FBC tuner) will give you access to all channels from 8 different frequencies at the same time. However, the frequencies have to be on the same polarization and band (horizontal/vertical polarization, high/low band)? So you don't get the full range of channels across the entire spectrum available when one service is tuned? Or am I wrong in that?

Can't say I agree with your experience of Zgemmas though. I've had a H7S in service continuously for over 4 years (probably nearly 5). Serves content to other devices, never an issue. I have 2 single tuner Zgemmas configured as client, no issues any of them. I have no hesitation recommending them based on my own experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Leonita

How do you configure a H8 as a client to the H7S please? I have both boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Easiest way is to use OpenVix and select client mode under the tuner setup screen. Overview here.

You can set everything up manually, but that's the easiest method. Ideally both boxes should be on a wired network for best reliability. The 'server' box should also have a static IP address assigned (so that the client box always knows where to look for it on the network). It's been years since I set mine up, so I can't remember if Client mode also sets up access to recordings on the server (I think not), but this can also be set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Leonita

Thank you so much! Will have a go at it when I have time at the weekend :-)

Dont use Kodi on e2 boxes as better off using an android box instead.

Yeah, I'd heard that regarding the H7s, but wasnt sure if some boxes were able

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Does anyone know if WOL (Wake On LAN) works on the Zgemma H7S? I can't find anything in the setup menus and trying to send WOL packets to it didn't do anything. There's a WOL plugin but that's for sending WOL packets to other devices on startup.

Your wrong in that , Ive never had any issues recording any combination of any channels at the same time. The very first thing I did was record 8 HD channels simultaneously , and shuffled those 8 until all HD channels were recorded. No issues at all.

I started this Enigma2 hobby way back in 2011 , first box was a Tiviar Alpha with The high horse brigades openatv image on it.

The two Zgemmas , the one with internal drive , then through pure envy , the one with SSD slot in the back.

The alpha and both Zgemmas died , swollen caps all over the board. So bought the first VU+ , got royally ripped off with customs and fedex charges from WOS in the UK , box ended up costing more than 500.

Bought the second VU+ as a backup , its the same box with blutooth remote option , that was 380 approx from amazon.de plus about a tenner for delivery.

Had a local crowd , TomTV install a unicable LNB for me.

With VU+ vs Zgemma , its quite easy to see where the money goes , its just a much better built box , no lies on the box either , it does what it says it does , unlike the Zgemma , which makes all kinds of claims that it cannot do. ( kodi for one …. it doesnt work on it , never has , sure you can install it , but its useless )

Add the Unicable LNB and its a server box to boot , no contest , it wipes the floor with the Zgemma , but then at the price , so it should.

Regarding the H82h , if you know how to speed it up or stop it from freezing on HD channels ,particularly BBC news and BBC one HD , then please do tell , otherwise its just junk , dont waste money on it , even if it is only 50 quid.

The box has a twin FBC tuner card , both of the FBC tuners are connected internally , so you only require a cable to one of them and it can act like both are connected to a cable.

You get 1 physical and 3 virtual tuners to each FBC tuner , no more , so 8 in total no matter whether you connect one sat cable or two.

The above is with a Unicable II LNB

With a Legacy LNB , old rules apply , only one connection , you can watch only one channel , two cables connected , watch one record another etc.

Terrestrials are twin , and really didnt think they needed explaining , the work exactly as you think they should.

In recordings , press menu then settings , then turn network trash on and this limits recording to nas , in addition you can set the network trash space.

By default , timeshift either deletes what is being timeshifted or saves it as a recording when you switch channels , if you dont have network trash enabled , then it will use up all network space.

If recording to local storage , there are no such issues as default rules should limit timeshifted recordings to the current epg event only , it will turn off and delete when that event is over unless you tell it to save timesshift as a recording.

I think the last part is the bit that I was missing….
    If it rolls the timeshift over to a new one at the end of the EPG event (and deals with the old one as configered) I can see why there isn't a separate configurable for size or time allowed.

Thanks!

No mention of swappable tuner DVB/C to DVB/T/T2

Nope , youve got to watch that , if it just says DVB C then its just a cable tuner , its got to say DVB-T or DVB-C/T

These boxes , because the tuners are add in cards , come in lots of configurations , youve got to watch what you are buying.

On your link , you could ask the seller if its switchable from DVB C to DVB T2 , probably not though , as it would usually say so if it was.

Post edited by andy1249 on

Photos of tuner setup on each , as you can see they are BCM3466 MultiType DVBC/T2 tuners in DVB-T2 Mode. ( You select either DVB C or DVB T2 on tuner setup )

On my first box they are tuners I and J , on the BT edition box they are tuners A and B , Im guessing its because on the second box it was the first card installed.

On the VU+ website it seems to only have the hybrid tuners for the previous generation.
    i.e. Duo2, but not Duo 4k

It's a shame as I also like the passthrough of that DVB/C (and the previous gen hybrid)

edit:
    Hang on! I just seen your pics there. Surely you have a duo 4k, right?
    And you have a hybrid tuner installed…

I'm guessing BCM3466 is the model of the tuner?

• Advertisement

As per my link (post 2299) , its a VU+ Duo 4K SE and I bought it from Amazon.de on 18th april 2024 , bought the first one last year sometime from WOS in the UK , they also sell the tuner cards separately but the DVB-T one is listed as out of stock and you cannot currently configure the box with DVB-T …..

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/vu-plus-duo-4k-se?search=VU%2B

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/vu-plus-twin-t2-tuner-module-uno-4k-duo-4k-ultimo-4k?search=VU%2B

If you buy from WOS , be warned , fedex will add approx 150-175 in fees. Brexit etc.

…. and yes BCM3466 seems to be the model number of the tuner card. Its a combo DVB C - DVB T2 tuner.

Post edited by andy1249 on

Advertisement