Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2024 - Friday, June 7th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

LOL tell us you don't know anything about EU elections without telling us you don't know anything about EU elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That thought is inkling in the contrary part of my mind as well

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

That sounds plausible except the turnout was higher for the European election than the Locals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Is that in terms of number of voters? Or percentage?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

##Mod Note##

Repeatedly posting the same non sequitur is adding nothing to the discussion.

You have posted the same basic post multiple times every day of the count.

Please stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Seems so weird that people would go into the polling booth and not bother filling out the much easier ballot paper that would take all of sixty seconds to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Could be that the same total electorate figure was used to calculate the %? Hard enough to explain otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ask our British neighbours how well that's worked out for them…

• Registered Users Posts: 26,391 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This isn't as irrational as you might think. Remember that the votes being transferred now are not just of people who voted McHugh no. 1. Of the 31,000 tally being transferred, about 19,000 are McHugh no. 1 votes, and about 12,000 are people who put one or more other candidates above McHugh, but after 15 counts all those other candidates have been eliminated, so those votes have come to McHugh. So these are not necessarily people who are strong McHugh supporters.

Right. A rational strategy in an STV election with a lot of candidates — arguably, the most rational strategy — is to:

• identify the candidates that you favour; you'd like one or more of them to be elected; and also
    • identify the candidates that you fear and/or loathe; you'd rather have anyone but them.

The rest of the candidates are people about whom you have no particular feelings, one way or the other.

Then you mark your paper by giving your highest preferences to the candidates you like, and then your next preference to the candidates you are indifferent about, and your lowest preferences or no preference to the candidates you hate. The thinking is that, if it comes down to a candidate you're indifferent about and an candidate you hate and fear, you'd rather the candidate you're indifferent about to be elected, so you give them a preference that reflects that.

But, as between all those meh candidates, you have no particular preference; you just want to give them all a higher prefernece than the shïts. So you order them randomly, possibly just by going down the ballot paper giving each of them your next preference.

And that's why a lot of the preferences that are currently with McHugh move next to Mullooly. Alphabetically, Mullooly is next on the ballot paper. The voters doing this may not think much of Mullooly, or indeed of McHugh, but they like them both more than they like Barrett, or Kelly, or whoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

Maybe a few people did this, but most of us are not so stupid or ignorant of the whole electoral process.

I would like to see 5 3-seat constituencies next time around for the Euros, plus a significantly higher number of supporting signatures required for nomination and also a heftier deposit with strict performance conditions for refunds. That would simplify the whole process. The recent election has been gummed up by a huge crowd of eccentrics and no-hopers.

Eligibility to vote in Locals is different to European elections therefore it is not necessarily the same people voting in both elections (majority will overlap as shown in table below)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

@Economics101 also a heftier deposit with strict performance conditions for refunds.

Susan Doyle (in South) only barely made the quota for refunds on her last received transfers. Anyone elimated before her probably didn't. So not many benefiting for refunds in the south.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's fair enough.

But looking at the South as an example - There were 713k valid votes , the bottom 7 candidates all got less than 1% of the 1st Preferences and they were still all below 1% on elimination.

I'm all for the democratic process, but that's just a waste of time for all concerned.

Today all you need is 60 signatures OR €1800 - That's just crazy.

The total valid electorate in South for example is ~1.3M so 1% of that would be 13k , but even if we went to 0.1% and required 1300 signatures to qualify I don't see that as too high a bar to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

Get the feeling Wallace could do better from Blighe transfers, but that Ni Murchu will do better from Mullins and O'Sullivan transfers - only issue is if Kelleher stays below quota some of those transfers she needs go to him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

I would be against making the financial requirements too hefty. No need to make this about wealth. Or I guess it could potentially be a sliding scale of how much you get back (I e. Get back 50% if you get half the full refund amount) if it is increased.

Other requirements showing some level of support for the position can be changed first.

If the right figures out how to work as a team it will shorten massively. You will always get a few odd balls with no chance but the bottom of the ballot this time was dominated by various anti vaxer/anti immigrant etc. that they pretty clearly didn't have the vote for that many candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

5 3-seaters would be bad for proportionality though. Make it slightly harder to get onto the ballot, improve counting processes (Irish Times podcast mentioned that a lot of count staff spend a lot of time waiting for official declarations before moving onto next count when they could be prepping the next count) and maybe shift the dates so the Locals and Europeans don't happen on same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Id anticipate a high number of non-transferables from blighe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

True, but numbers are now getting so tight it'll be down to fine margins

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'd guess that 'making it harder to get on the ballot' is possibly outside our control. It seems something that's likely decided/specified at EU level? Like it wouldn't be democratic to have a situation that getting onto the Irish ballot is 10x more difficult/expensive than getting on to Maltese or Latvian ballot, for what is ultimately an election to the same parliament.

Anyone know whether it is in our control?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

I would point out that making it harder to get on the ballot would weirdly make it better for the right wing candidates.

Currently they don't transfer to each other. If forced to combine behind a single candidate they would likely get the vote behind their best chance more efficiently. As is, a lot of those bottom of the ballot candidates have not struck me as the best at team work.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DamiensNeck

Well looks like the template for getting elected is set, go for 'celebs'.

I'm surprised there isn't more GAA lads involved.

How on earth Nina Carberry got 70k odd votes on 1st count is mind blowing. She is completely out of her depth and I think deep down doesn't even want to be a politician. I saw ads for her on facebook but she wasn't talking at all, it was all people she was 'interviewing' telling her they're sure she'll look out for them and how great she is.

Really, the calibre of those elected is very very poor. Regina Doherty says there are 9 genders. Aodhan O'Riordan wants to ban To Kill a Mockingbird from schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,391 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's within our control.

That's not to say that we might not get into trouble for infringing EU law in a gross way (e.g. "only Irish citizens can be on the ballot") but, broadly speaking, this is the kind of thing that the member states regulate and they have a lot of freedom about how to regulate it.

The rules are definitely different across the EU - In Germany you must be nominated by an existing Political party for example , so the scope is there.

I'd avoid increasing the monetary costs of entry , but showing that you have at least a meaningful level of support shouldn't cost much - Asking for ~1000 valid signatures really shouldn't be that challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

It says two things,

A lot of Irish people are party aligned, or/and

Being a face people recognise carries weight.

Or it could also say that there are a lot of Irish people thick as ****

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So on the count he is elected, his surplus is distributed.

On subsequent counts, any transfers to him go to the next highest preference instead.

So if someone had Mullins > Kelleher > Ní Mhúrchú then, and by the time Mullins is eliminated Kelleher is already elected, those votes would go to Ní Mhúrchú instead.

The same happens if the preference has already been eliminated. So if someone had Mullins > Kelleher > Doyle > Ní Mhúrchú then by the time Mullins is eliminated those would also go to Ní Mhúrchú.

TLDR: When votes are transferred, they go to the highest preference not already elected or eliminated.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IMO, Wallace's last hope now is to get a huge transfer from Blighe, if that doesn't happen he is done.

Given McNamara is still in the race AND miles short of quota I think he could be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭StoutPost

Would people think that Nina Carberry is better known than Ciaran Mullooly? I am trying to gauge the party alignment aspect with the celebrity aspect. Personally I would have thought Mullooly was better known but I'm not interested in horses so I could be wrong on that. I still say that Carberry & Walsh got elected on a Mairead McGuinness FG vote. Fair enough Walsh is a sitting MEP but for FG to put in Carberry and basically hide her away from campaigning and still have her elected is both genius from FG since it worked and a damning report on us voters in MNW for putting up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

She also won dancing with the stars. To my aghast, i'm led to believe it has high number of viewers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's a bit of a joke. Celebrity politics. How effective will Carberry be in Europe given she couldn't even handle a debate?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement