Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EU to impose multibillion-euro tariffs on Chinese electric cars (thread bans see post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

All made with stolen or copied western technology. Produced by low paid workers in often despicable conditions, the firms subsidized by the State to keep prices down and undercut western business.

Mercantilism is the old name, trade as a war like weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

This would all be a non issue if the europeanc/non chinese EVs were resonably priced for the average consumer in the first place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

First the greens wanted us driving clean diesel and now it's Chinese EV's, is it any wonder they took a kicking in the euro elections.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the Chinese stuff is artificially low because the Chinese government are subsidising it….

The labour law is sub par in china

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I agree fully with your statement. Yes the Chinese are blatantly stealing our automotive intellectual property. They have done so for many decades in other industries too. Pretty sickening for a western company that has spent billions in research and development to get there

But throwing up barriers and punishments against this, simply doesn't work and is bad for consumers worldwide. Why do you think Elon Musk got his Chinese factory faster than any other western company got one? Only one reason for it: he explicitly allows the Chinese to clone and steal all aspects of the cars. To the huge benefit of the whole world and bringing forward electrification many years.

So yes, I am cheering it on in the name of the worldwide consumer and would do so if I worked for Tesla. Maybe not so much if I worked for another western car company that would not be as far ahead with tech and efficient manufacturing and high margins, and would possibly go down in this major disruption. Like Toyota or Stellantis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭crl84

Can someone give some examples of BYD, Geely, SAIC model prices if this comes into force?

I assume it's a bit more complex than just multiplying existing prices by 1.174, 1.2, 1.38…...

Is there already an existing tariff rate on foreign car imports, and are these new rates just upping that? Is there a published list of "base prices" that tarrifs are calculated from?

Eg. if there's already a 10% tarrif on foreign cars, then a BYD Seal could barely change in price, based on what the "base price" of the car is when a tarrif gets applied, and only a small increase on an existing tarrif rate.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Again, meddling with the market is the reason for the tariffs. Why can't people see that?

What in the **** has this got to do with the greens?

People are obsessed with the Greens when it comes to every thing in their life, they're living under their beds rent free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There are also other issues, China has a deliberate policy to undermine, undercut and replace European and American goods, economic power and reach.

The tariffs are a long overdue fightback against that totalitarian push.

Along with the economic war they are waging, there are geopolitical attacks as well, their support for Russia, keeping Iran in the game, coups in Africa etc etc etc.

The free market is a theoretical concept. Like proper communism, it's only for books and discussions, real world application sees it fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

All I'm taking from this is that the EU is not as concerned about climate change and addressing emissions as they make themselves out to be.

I bought an MG4 last year because it was the first reasonably priced BEV I found. I had considered other BEV makes/ models but wasn't willing to shell out close to €50k for a depreciating asset. I'm sure I'm not alone; many others took the plunge and bought BEVs when they became affordable. This is a good thing IMO and it has facilitated more people moving to BEV which will reduce emissions, local pollution, and the amount we're spending on carbon credits. I would still be driving a diesel if the price of a BEV was high.

The EU manufacturers have been dragging their heels allowing the Chinese brands and Tesla to take the lead. We need a vibrant and successful EU car manufacturing industry, but they need to up their game and stop sitting on the fence.

Will it make a difference in the number of Chinese cars being exported? I don't think so; as other posters have pointed out, the Chinese brands will probably just drop their prices, but it will affect trade going into China from Europe as they will inevitably retaliate with their own tariffs. Ironically, the European manufacturers will still buy most of the BEV components from China, so the real loser will be the EU, especially the consumers.

• Advertisement

IP theft works both ways. Some of the BEV tech coming out of China is ahead of Western tech so what's stopping Western companies from cloning the new batteries and so forth, and saving themselves a ton in R&D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭halkar

This tariff is stupid. It has nothing to do about how China does business. Tariff the cars, so what. They are building a lego factory in Hungary with 99% untariffed government subsidied parts coming from China. Possibly half the workers in that factory will be Chinese too. A lot of parts for majority of EU build cars are coming from China too and probably from companies subsidied by their government one way other.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There's a balance to be had between removing our economic dependency on imported energy and hollowing out the automotive manufacturing industry in Europe.

You may be ok with the Chinese government interfering with the market to allow a Chinese producer to out compete a manufacturer in Slovakia, but plenty of people aren't. The tariffs are an attempt to correct the Chinese government support and equalise the field of play.

I hope for your sake that when the Chinese government decides the industry you're in needs to be made in China that a similar trade protection is applied so that you don't end up losing your career due to a centrally directed economy decimating what you do.

As for your point about BEV components being sourced from China, if that happens they'll also be tariffs applied to components. Remember the tariffs are targeting Chinese production, not Chinese ownership, a BYD factory in Hungary is a simple method to work around the tariffs and results in EU employment and production under EU worker protection and environmental laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Yeah i did from the point of view there EVs will become more expensive & less competition.
    «mod note snip»

• Registered Users Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Tariffs will be added (at an as yet unannounced date) on the base price of a car. That is to say before taxes, delivery charges and grants are added. So in the case of the RWD Tesla Model 3 with no extras if, for example, 20% were to be added €40,990 this would become €49,188 before grants, charges and taxes etc are applied

Note that I am using the Model 3 as an example as it's the only car I can easily find a base price on. To my knowledge the Chinese govt don't directly subsidise Tesla, hence why I assume they are not on the list and in theory their prices shouldn't be affected by the tarrifs.

While theories are great, in reality this makes BYD, MG, Volvo and Polestar EVs more expensive so you can be nearly guaranteed that Tesla, and European manufacturers, will raise their prices similarly. Kiss goodbye to the long rumoured VW ID 2

It's nothing to do with emissions.

And now you know why the cars you looked at were better priced than the others, the Chinese government is subsidising the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭wassie

People need to remember also that this is not Chinese industry leading the charge. The Chinese Govt made very deliberate policy decisions years ago to position itself as not only the leading manufacturing country of EVs, but also the major supplier of parts in the supply chain, so much so that if you wanted to build an EV, invariably some parts would need to be sourced from China. This itself is not unusual as car parts are sourced all over the world, it just the Chinese now dominate in particular components eg batteries.

There are well over a 100 manufacturing brands in China selling mainly to the domestic market. Many of these will fail, either folding, aquired or merged. The Govt there expects that there will ultimately be a number of very strong companies that come out of this and they will be dominant global players.

Tariffs or not, the Chinese wave is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭blackbox

Free international trade is supposed to be based on an even playing field.

When a product being exported gets a government subsidy it is correct for the importer to place an equivalent tariff on it to balance the market.

That ship has already sailed. We rely on China for too much and have largely ignored IP theft for decades. Western companies were more than happy to buy low-cost Chinese components when it suited them and they weren't seen as competition, but as a supplier. What's happening now is inevitable.

If it pushes Chinese companies to set up in Europe, that's great, but IMO it's just kicking the can down the road. As you said, they'll just work around it by setting up in Europe; I think they'll still undercut the competition and subsidise through whatever means to get the lion's share and push out the competition (scorched earth tactics).

I stand by what I said - the EU manufacturers have been sitting on the fence for too long. Whilst the Chinese have been busy beavering away, they have been dawdling and indecisive. Perhaps it's time for a monumental shift in how the automotive industry is run in Europe. If the automotive industry in China is state-sponsored and collaborative, why not do the same here?

My personal view is that Climate Change is a real danger and adding barriers to people transitioning from the most polluting object they own doesn't make sense. If things keep going as they are there won't be an automotive industry to protect.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

And so it should. Now they need to do the same with solar panels made with Uighur slave labour, where an outright ban would be more appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

General populations in Europe are being forced into EV's, they aren't all desperately wanting them. They want cheap cars and local jobs.

A positive political impact, if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

No, I'm not happy about it at all.

It's a bloody race to the bottom.

How do you stop it though ? People want cheap **** and believe they don't have to do anything to get it and there is no consequences. Get money for free, throw it on the national debt, buy ****.

We don't manufacture a lot here. Diet pills and tax avoidance schemes.

We are happy to destroy third world environments to get our shiney toys and throw away clothes. We are happy that others work day and night producing Christmas crackers/decorations 24/7/365 so that we can buy them, look at them and throw them in landfill.

I mean I'd love to buy a nice EV, but it's not going to save the planet. Probably a load of kids working in a mine and a mountain and forest destroyed somewhere to provide it for me.

Anyway, I digress.

And my job will probably be replaced by someone cheaper than me in India or by AI.

Smiley 🤣 because the whole system is fucked.

It's nothing to do with emissions? I disagree, it has a lot to do with emissions. The government and EU are trying to reduce their carbon emissions. Transitioning more people to EVs is a step to help reduce emissions because on average, a diesel car produces around 2,000kg of carbon annually. This wouldn't be an issue if they weren't pushing people to EVs because European car makers have a large segment of the ICE market - they're established, experienced, reputable (for the most part), and when making a significant purchase, most people look for that. Generally, the only way to offset that is through price and long warranties, but that doesn't always work.

If the Chinese are subsidising my car and making it more affordable, and as such helping to transition more people to BEV, then that's a win-win in my books. It's better to come out of the Chinese pockets than ours.

I understand this gives them an unfair advantage and I am more than aware of the impact this will have on European manufacturers, but they are the architects of their own downfall. Most people don't buy cars based on price; they buy them based on reliability, warranty, performance, technology, resale value, brand, reputation, etc. Price is not at the top of their agenda, hence the popularity of premium brands like Audi, Mercedes, BMW, etc. The European manufacturers have this.

If a brand is sitting on the fence and not really committing to something, it will affect its customers' sentiment. If the customer finds the message opaque, they lose confidence. If the alternative is competitively priced and has a clear message, they will be more inclined to try it. BEVs are relatively new technology and people want reassurance with new technology. The European manufacturers could offer this, but they have dropped the ball IMO, and are paying the price.

You may disagree, but emissions etc don't factor in to these tariffs. It's simply due to unfair state aid and how that feeds into the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

has it actually been published what level of state aid each chinese manufacturer is allegedly receiving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Remarkable (but unsurprising) to see this thread balloon to 3 pages, with plenty of people complaining about the tariffs but not willing to even discuss how China can afford to heavily subsidise car production

Is there nobody who is screaming for a cheap EV willing to talk about forced labour? Modern-day slavery? Hello, are you still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

if they want cheap cars why isn’t everyone driving a Dacia?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭wassie

And lets not metion anything about how much CO2 is emitted by manufacturing batteries in China from coal fired powerplants.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Where are the EU car makers getting their batteries from?

Advertisement