Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2024 - Friday, June 7th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What if both GOS and CNM pass out Wallace on the back of Mullins's transfers and he's the next eliminated? Could Grace come with an incredible late run? You'd think Wallace's transfers would favour her over Cynthia but presumably we'd be talking the largest portion of a small cake…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

It's a bit silly really, but hey, not her fault.

You won't be getting any soundbites either over the next few years of her leaving parliament or appearing on week in politics

But i suppose if we were to include only those who studied political science and what not, we'd have only a handful of politicians…………

To defend the selection to an extent, SF had a number of candidates elected to last Dail not fit to run a bath

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the idea of five 3 seater constituencies would work except we only have 14 seats.

However, the shortcoming of the current system is the question of replacements who are, in general, obscured from the voters.

So, we have 5 constituencies of three seats, with the candidate with the lowest number of votes gets to be first replacements. This was done when the UK left the EU. The fourth candidate in each constituency would become the replacement for any MEP who leaves their position in that constituency. Should further replacements be needed, they would be selected in the order of the number of votes they got in the election, regardless of party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

Favouring right wing or left wing or any particular political grouping should is not the way do do things. Cutting back on eccentrics and no-hopers of any political stripe is a different matter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

So if, for example, the top candidate gets a huge vote, the obvious favourite in the constituency. But then sadly gets sick or can't remain as an MEP for some reason. Why would the seat go to the person who was essentially first loser?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

I don't think not having something on syllabus is the same as having it banned. Many books are not on it already and are not considered "banned" from schools. I believe he says it should still be recommended to students.

Now I disagree with him but if you have to lie than it waters down your point a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭squonk

I was having the sane thoughts myself about celebrity politics. I think it works because party faithful vote along party lines. Regarding Nina Carbery, I’d say that’s the case. Ditto fur Maria Walshe when she was first put forward. I’m sure Nina Carberh also pitched up a lot of votes from recognition as part of the general horsey community.

To be fair to Cynthia NiMuchu, she’s a solicitor or a barrister I believe so it seems like she’ll be up to the job. I’m not sure what qualifications horse riding or winning a lovely girls competition confer on someone to make them MEP material.

We have a problem with our MEP selection process. The EU is, I believe, seen as that place in Brussels and it’s somewhere we ship off the people who are problematic in national politics or celebs as a party points scoring exercise. Increasingly it’s becoming an important role so we should be sending our best and most able politicians. That’s not happening though. It’s turning into a EuroStars competition with a side cohort of angry characters.

I would agree. Something I have found interesting in this campaign.

Personally I would be against increasing the financial cost but ok with increasing the signature count. Putting too many barriers to get elected is a bigger issue than a few too many on the ballot even. I would prefer a shorter ballot with less no hopers but would accept it as a cost if it means running is doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Worth mentioning as well that if Kelleher reaches the quota it's not actually his original votes that get transferred. Let me explain…

A likely scenario right now is that John Mullins' transfers will put Kelleher over the quota. Lets say that Kelleher is 6k short of the quota before then and he gets 10k of Mullins' transfers. He'll have a surplus of 4k to transfer to other candidates but those 4k will actually come out of the 10k parcel that he received from John Mullins.

So in effect Billy Kelleher's transfers will actually be Mullins votes*. In this race that's not a huge deal since they're both Cork candidates running for similar parties but sometimes in scenarios like this they can be two wildly different candidates which has knock-on affects for the future destination of the transfers.

Another thing to realise as a result of this…..if a ballot is currently with Billy Kelleher then that will not transfer again - it will stay with Kelleher until the end of the election.

*they could also have originated with other candidates who later transferred to Mullins

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭StoutPost

I'm involved in agriculture, a lot of answers to questions begin with "It depends".

So, it depends on what ones agenda is. If it's to get a seat and push the correct button and give the correct soundbits approved by FG/EPP then in that vein she could be extremely effective.

It is/was similar with wallace/daly when people asked how effective they were/are, it depends.

But I don't know her apart from name recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Being an ex-barrister doesn't mean you forget everything you learned about the law. Or reduce your capability of understanding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Ciaran Mullooly and Niall Boylan surely qualify as "celebrity" candidates also?

Not a great FF to FF transfer. Less than half staying in the party.

SF have lost votes, or at least votes they had in 2020 but their core they have left seems to be more party loyal

Even though SF didn't get much in the way of transfers from Blaney, combined they got twice as much as Mullooly. Makes the possible inter-party transfer of 20k enough to get Gildernew past him.

Mullooly you'd say yes

Boylan the more i think of it is one of them oul lads who sits at the end of a bar with a "Cmere and i tell ye" about all and sunder.

The transferable vote was 80% or about 27k. The two FFers got over half of that. 55% approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

I always find it interesting that the most conservative part of Ireland gives its number 1 MEP preference to a man who coalesces with hard-core unreformed communists in the European Parliament. And that Sinn Fein are in the same grouping.

We tend not to pay any attention to our MEP's actual Euro-allegiances but I think they are quite revelatory and should be discussed more in the campaigns (too late now obviously!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Ironic given no one is allowed a different opinion in China

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

Wallace got 4,764 approx boost!

Edit had to step away for a while, as this has not been posted I will still share.

Post edited by corkie on

• Advertisement

Indeed, i note this lot are also part of the groupi

PORTUGUESE COMMUNIST PARTY

I note this left grouping in Europe don't seem to have much time for the Ukrainians either with only a mention for Palestinians

Peace & Solidarity

Whether it is working for fair policies towards developing countries or maintaining pressure on the EU over human rights abuses against Palestinians or other oppressed groups, we are relentlessly pursuing a Europe that forges positive relations with the rest of the world. We have been instrumental in highlighting the dangers of the current trade policy, an affront to democracy that only serves the interests of multinational corporations. Foreign and security strategies must be based on peace, as opposed to the current militarisation trend.

Funchion stays ahead of Wallace.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Probably , but then Chambers/Toibin will be next out and they are likely to go to Mullooly more than Gildernew you'd think.

It'll be close though..

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DamiensNeck

Fine, I take back the banning part. Still equally ridiculous to remove the book because it contains a word without appreciating the context of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭Augme

17th count results in for the south. Wallace roughly 5k ahead of Cynthia and 9k ahead of O'Sullivan. Mullin gone now. Any chance his transfer push O'Sullivan ahead of Cynthia?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

She couldn't be any worse than Wallace, Daly or Ming.

Carberry is head and shoulders above those. For that matter, she would also be better than any of the SF candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

show your workings for that please. (aside from hating shinners or lefties)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Huh? Wallace is a failed property developer who cheated his workers out of their pensions. Any randomer off the street would be better than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

no evidence at all to say an ex jockey who won dancing with the stars is better than a shinner or daly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

…at half the votes McNamara got

(Meant to quote gral6’s post above)

Advertisement