Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2024 - Round 9 - Montreal Canada

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭This is it

Albons overtake was unreal

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RVd1mnbCTU4

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭thefa

Maybe a wrong take but when I saw the overtake I thought fair play to Ricciardo for leaving the space and respecting Albon outbraking him. There’s a few nutters on the grid where that situation becomes a 2/3 car incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The question as always is, how bad is the redbull - is it Verstappen's brilliance bringing a 2nd or 3rd best car to the fore, or is Perez that bad in the best car. Personally, watching the race, I think it's more the former than the latter.

But the fact remains… Redbull would have been better off entering only Max for the last 2 races, due to 2 DNF and associated costs towards the cap from Perez. Would Gasly/Ricciardo/AN Other have had those accidents?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

The car is still very good. The last few tracks won't have suited them.

Best to see how they go in Barcelona, but i'd be confident you'll see a more dominant Max

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Very enjoyable race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

He was unbearable this weekend. His obsession with Hamilton is wild, when he set that time in FP3 he was craving himself.

I know, I know, British commentators etc, but lord above Karun doesn't even hide it.

I used to think he was alright. But been a grade A d!ckhead all year.

Along with him, that clown Lazenby and a few others, they have a serious disdain/dislike for Redbull.

It's refreshing when Rosberg is there, and actually Villenueve was also refreshingly frank and honest.

To my surprise, and it is a big surprise, Damon has not been shy about heaping praise to Max this year. So credit where it's due

• Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I agree, the bitterness towards RB now is quite obvious, and towards Max.

I am looking forward to Hamilton at Ferrari, what excuses will they have then when Charles is beating him?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Villeneuve came across as a total prick I thought. I enjoyed seeing Fred Vasseur shut him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

In my time watching F1 since the early 90s, I can't remember a team having a car that was so much quicker than the rest, than Red Bull have had last season, up until recently. There have been signs over the last several races, that some of the others have caught up a bit.

As it was when Vettel was dominating, F1 is boring when Red Bull is the leading constructor. All the energy, focus and probably best parts go into the number 1 driver.

There would never be a Hamilton/ Rosberg situation happen at Red Bull.

I have never particularly supported one driver or team. I just want to see good races and a competitive championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You forgot Alex Albon. I think he is future champion material.

It's going to be a very boring race I would say. Madness having Barcelona after Canada. It should be after Monaco or vis a versa so the two most boring races in the calender can be done with together over a week one after the other.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Meh, Albon is good. For me he falls in to the second teir of drivers. The Russell's, Sainz, Piastri (Massive potential)

Only a handful of top tier drivers. Max (and he's ahead of everyone) Lando, Lewis, Charlie.

Then you have the drivers i wouldn't trust to take my Audi around the block - Logan, Stroll, Magnussen, Zhao

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭quokula

You must not have been watching F1 for very long as every season from 2014 to 2020 had a more dominant car than that.

It’s worth looking at actual flying lap times, there were times last year when the gap from 1st to 20th was smaller than the typical gap from Mercedes to the second fastest car over the entire hybrid era. This is why Perez can end up in 16th by being half a second off Max but Bottas could be nearly a second off the pace his car was capable of and still get on the front row.

The fact that they’ve had better results is a testament to far fewer driver errors, far better strategy and pit stops, and not being up against more talented drivers in other teams.

Last season Verstappen broke the record for most wins in a season. That was his own record from the previous season. For the previous couple of seasons at least his RB dominated more than anything I've ever seen in F1.

I've been watching F1 since the mid 90s. I never said there wasn't other reasons that have helped their domination. Such as their excellent strategies and pit crew etc. And also the fact that the nearest rivals haven't been up to scratch.

My main point was a dominant Red Bull has always made for boring seasons, as they never have two drivers going up against each other. Except for maybe in 2010, when Webber didn't finish too far behind

Ms

Then you have the drivers i wouldn't trust to take my Audi around the block - Logan, Stroll, Magnussen, Zhao

I really would not bunch Magnussen in with Logan, Stroll or Zhoe at all.

I think Magnussen is better than any of them 3 drivers. Just look at his drive through the wet in Sundays Canadian race. He is a good hard racer and F1 needs more of that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

LOL. He's the biggest liability on the grid! And that's saying something.

Look at how he drove on wet you say……………………He was on wet weather tyres……..The rest were on Inters. I could have probably got by a few of them

Anyway. His days are numbered thankfully, and we'll know in the next few weeks who'll be replacing him

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

This is class, safety car onboard with Max behind keeping his brakes/tyres warm. Great sound from the Aston Martin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Would you say the same about MSC from 1999-2003? Irvine nearly won the WDC in 1999, but then Barrichello was a solid number 2 not challenging MSC at all.

Since Rosberg left, there wasn't a competitor for Hamilton in the merc either. Now that there is finally a driver that is at least on his level, Russell, lewis hasnt won a race in years, is leaving for ferrari and the mercs are no longer the dominant car.

It's always been the way, as long as I've been watching F1. There was the Benneton, the Williams, the mclaren, the ferrari (and notable mention for the brilliant but unreliable BMW williams), the renault, the Brawn, the red bull, the mercedes and now the red bull again. That;s about as far back as I remember, 1994. I believe before that there was the mansell williams and the senna mclaren.

The safety car in it's own right would be a rocket, but in comparison to an F1 car it would look like a clapped out Lada.

What the TV coverage will never do is show the appreciable acceleration and speed on an F1 car. It's mind boggling seeing it Live.

MSC had a couple of seasons in that period where he ran away with it. The other seasons were fairly close, if I remember correctly. But that wasn't great to watch as a spectacle either.

Of course teams like Merc and Ferrari have dominated previously. Not to the extent Verstappen has in the previous couple of seasons in that car though. Breaking the win record two seasons running shows that.

Teams are always going to dominate for periods. I'd just rather it wasn't Red Bull, as they will never have two drivers close to each other in talent, with equal status, allowed to race for a championship.

Hard to judge Merc since Russell arrived, as the car has been rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭quokula

"Hard to judge Merc since Russell arrived, as the car has been rubbish." - this is not true. Over the last three years they have been on average the 2nd or 3rd fastest car in the field, and have had the fastest car at some tracks, with Russell scoring poles and a win. If you think having merely the 2nd best car in the field negates any impact a driver can make then god help anyone driving for the likes of Alpine or Aston Martin, or anyone driving for any team other than Merc between 2014 and 2020.

"Red Bull, as they will never have two drivers close to each other in talent, with equal status, allowed to race for a championship." - this is also untrue. Vettel and Webber raced each other for the championship with equal treatment. Mark Webber was even ahead of Vettel going into the season finale in 2010 but Seb ultimately came out on top. People always come back to "multi 21" as some kind of retort to this even though that was an order in favour of Mark and against Seb, and was driven entirely by a desire to get the cars safely home without taking extra risks at that precise moment, rather than anything to do with the title. Something teams do all the time, and something drivers have been known to ignore at times too, without it ever being blown up in the same way with excessive media gaslighting. (funny coincidence, in that exact same Malaysian GP, Rosberg was faster than Lewis but Mercedes used team orders to keep Hamilton ahead and put him on the podium, but nobody remembers this)

As for more recently with Verstappen. He and Ricciardo had completely equal treatment but Daniel chose to leave the team as Max started to get the better of him as he matured from his early teenage mistakes. With Ricciardo gone they tried Gasly and tried Albon and neither of them could get close to Max, so they searched for the best driver available on the grid, which was Perez, who was riding high from massively outperforming his car at Racing Point and even securing an unlikely win on merit. Perez has gotten closer than anyone, and they've kept him on short term contracts to see who's available but there have simply been no better options to date.

They tried bringing Ricciardo back into the fold to see if they could get the best out of him and bring him back to the top team but he hasn't been up to scratch. They've frequently shown interest in Norris but he chose to commit to McLaren. Leclerc also has long term commitments and realistically I don't think there's anyone else on the grid who'd get materially closer to Max than Checo - look at how Albon was much further off Max's pace than Perez at Red Bull yet he's rated as one of the better drivers on the grid these days now he's not judged against that benchmark.

It's a stark contrast to Mercedes who purposely put the most compliant driver they could find alongside Lewis in Bottas. Toto Wolff openly admitted this was a deliberate choice not to repeat the situation with Rosberg, because they didn't want anyone to compete with Hamilton.

Ms

Really. I think that Aston Martin sounds broken. Does not sound good at all just like the crappy boy race cars you see on streets who thinh their load cars sound good but they sound ****. The Red Bull sounded so much better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ah come on? Seriously… You must be joking if you think that sounds broken.

Have you ever been to Mondello, or any other race track to watch a race? Any kind of series?

I'm sorry, but if you think that AM sounds broken, your knowledge is somewhat limited

You can bang on about other lower down teams all you want, but the Merc car of the last season and a half has been rubbish by their own high standards. They have one win over that period and are being consistently out preformed by a team with a customer engine of theirs.

I did mention the Vettel/Webber battle in my last post. It's never happened again since when there's been a title on offer for RB.

I recall that Ricciardo, like Webber with Vettle, felt that Verstappen was dominating the team and getting favourable treatment. Either way, it was a terrible decision for him to leave. But they weren't fighting for a title.

I don't have any issue with Verstappen. He's an incredible driver.

I did have higher hopes for Bottas after some of his performances, before going to Merc. He did what he was told and after the excitement of Hamilton v Rosberg, it was fairly boring. Perez did look like he might be a challenge to Verstappen early doors at the team. But he's gone backwards at a staggering rate. His qualifying is atrocious

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Not broken but it does sound kinda **** on that mic as it seems very sharp and not throaty at all.

That wouldn't be the reality.

Ms

You said that AM sounded broken 🤣

650/700 odd BHP, Top speed of i think close to 200 MPH ( I think it's a DBX)

Heaven help us all if you think that sounded broken

Ms

This is how it should sound. Just glorious,

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Safety car sounds v8 to me. Car in Clarkson review is a v12 but ya with a proper external mic, the Safety car will sound unreal

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement