Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I think very few people would take the actions of smaller groups like this as representative of the 'uniform behavior' of the people of a country or a 'race'.

It's akin to picking out the IRA or the Kinehans and saying all Irish are thugs or terrorists.

It's really only extremists such as Farage or this Kirkegaard guy who push this kind of stuff. I suspect Farage doesn't even believe it himself. Here's some more info on Kirkegaard, you might like to educate yourself on the company you keep.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Emil_O._W._Kirkegaard

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

If 64% of Irish people committed a crime in the US or Australia then you can bet your arse that's exactly what everyone would say, and you would be right.

64% of Palestinians didn't commit crime in Denmark.

64% of one politically selected subgroup of Palestinians committed crimes, most of which were lower level.

Do you see the difference now or are you going to stick with the people who are actually pushing this story, Farage and Mr Kirkegaard. Have you read up on him yet? It'll give you pause for thought. Emil O. W. Kirkegaard

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fitzy149

" .. I think very few people would take the actions of smaller groups like this as representative of the 'uniform behavior' of the people of a country or a 'race'.

It's akin to picking out the IRA or the Kinehans and saying all Irish are thugs or terrorists .. "

Yep ..well this very few include ALL .. i mean ALL other Arab countries (not a few), of the same religious persuasion, dont want Palestinians as refugees .. they dont want their brothers and sisters to come and stay

why ?

Would it have anything to do with that pattern thing we were discussing above ..

Meanwhile, we in the West pick up the bill

Read post #24762 - and now you're back on ignore as I have nether the patience nor the special dolls to handle the obfuscation and twisting what people say.

Mod

Warning applied for this post.

Post edited by Sephiroth_dude on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well just as well you weren't running the whole show back then or I guess the many people who did flee the pogroms against Catholics in Belfast to places in the Republic or UK would have been encouraged to f**k off to South Armagh where they were safe. But of course, you will have a nuanced response to that, because as I've seen before on this thread, nuance only applies to migration and refugees when the relevant subjects are Irish.

In any event, this comparison is not a good one. The Northern conflict never broke out into a full scale war involving a full mechanised invasion in the manner which Russia assaulted Ukraine, not to mention the use of artillery bombardment of cities and infrastructure. Open war and actual face-to-face battle was not really a feature of the Troubles. The scale, weaponry and intensity of the war in Ukraine is of an entirely different hue — easy to forget that at one point a passenger jet was even shot out of the sky there.

If the British had have approached the Troubles by using aerial bombardment of civilian areas, and looked to have no qualms about striking further afield in Ireland than simply the North and potentially bombarding places like Dundalk, people would be getting the f**k out of there and it's delusional to think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The winds of change are blowin, you seem to despise Blighe but if you check the counts https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/06/09/european-election-ireland-south-constituency-results/ - do note that he's comfortably top half of a large field and got more support than candidates for PBP, SF, Labour and SD. All choirboys and girls for immigration policies.

So how does that fit your narrative?

So nothing to do then with economic crisis in say Egypt, or Arab states not wishing to get involved in a regional conflict, you're claiming still that this is because of some racial inferiority on the part of Palestinians.

In fairness to Farage he's really only up to the usual anti-immigrant scaremongering, although sharing the content he did is pretty low even by his standards.

It's yourself, @Vote4Squirrels (going by the thanks and earlier comments) and Mr Kirkagaard, who are pushing the actual inferior race stuff.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Emil_O._W._Kirkegaard

Dolores Cahill finished in the top half of the field last time around.

In fairness to Blighe he got slightly more than twice as many fpvs than her at 3.6%.

This equates to less than 2% of the actual electorate.

Who said anything about inferiority ??

I am saying that All Arab nations do not want Palestinians as refugees - Nobody wants them ..

I think it has more to do with their track record than this inferiority thing you claim they have.

I dont see them as inferior - i just look at their behaviour and make a judgement .. as the all other Arab countries have obviously done

I mean it is rare that a Muslim man or woman will refuse aid to a fellow Muslim [eg in this case, Palestinian refugees]

.. so it is natural to wonder why this is the case

• Advertisement

I see the persecution complex on here has now reached the level where you are aiming the word "racist" at your own views without me ever having said anything of the sort to you. Anyway — you seem to be hurriedly dragging the goalposts to another part of the pitch here. I'm not talking about how one feels about taking such and such a community of refugees in, I am responding to the point being made as to the justifiability and understandability of the decision of Ukrainians to flee in the first place.

Also, who is saying we "need" refugees? Anyone here making that argument or is this another case of words being shoved into mouths?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

People have made the case we need them to pay for our pensions

Oh I'm sure you follow the daily commentary from our political masters. And several times I've heard it stated that Ireland needs immigration and lots of it, to fill all the low paid jobs that apparently Irish people don't want to do etc etc etc I haven't the time or inclination to search this thread for such sentiment but without doubt it has been expressed here.

Anyways I'm not being persecuted. I'm just laying out in clear terms why many people have a range of reservations about our rapid increase in population.

As regards Ukrainian war refugees, I expect they will return home in time to help rebuild their great nation. What do you think yourself?

It just looks like your trying to get away from using the term inferior while maintaining your existing argument.

What exactly did you mean then when you said..

[There is ] uniformity - right across the board - in their behavior

no matter who takes them in, they end up worse for the experience. Betrayed or beaten

Thats the why i dont want them as refugees. There is a pattern ... and its all Negative

I think it's pretty clear we're talking about all Palestinians here. And your views are clearly claiming this group all exhibit negative behavior, leaving people who take them in 'betrayed or beaten'.

Are you trying to back away from your earlier claims because you see how weak they actually are, or do you just not like the association with the only other person I'm aware of publicly pushing them, Mr Kirkegaard, the far-right extremist and eugenics advocate who advocates raping children while they sleep (this is not hyperbole or exaggeration, this is what he calls for) https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Emil_O._W._Kirkegaard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭Augme

Blighe got more support than SF? Since when is 25,071 votes more than 72,000+?

Blighe wasn't even elected as a local councillor. He didn't even come close to being elected as an MEP. Those are the winds of change? Change being that Blighe is in the exact same position that he was before the election - rejected and unelected. Some change. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

In Ireland South Blighe got 27000 votes as again 23000 for Sinn Feins Paul Gavan

Well why not ask the other 21 Arab countries (i know of) Algeria, Bahrain, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen ..why they all - to a man - point blank refuse to take in their fellow Muslim Palestinian sisters and brothers in their hours of need ?

I am saying its because of their track record over the past few decades in the countries who did welcome them into their homes. It always ended badly

Maybe the 21 Arab countries will give you a different answer ?

And why exactly are the 50k votes for SF's Kathleen Funchion being ignored?

OK but you are conflating two different things here. Yes, lots of people say we need immigration to fill certain labour gaps etc but that's regular old visa migration — I don't think anyone is saying we specifically "need" refugees.

As for Ukrainians going home, it's hard to say. Depending on how the war ends, and when it ends, the places they come from may no longer even be sovereign Ukrainian territory. In time, I suspect many of them will settle here, work here, marry here, bear children here — at which point their descendants are simply Ireland-born citizens who grew up in this country as you did and for whom it is home just as it is your home.

At the end of the day, to paraphrase a nasty song which is sung by a certain group of people about Irish refugees and their descendants — the Famine is over, why haven't they gone home? As I said before, we tend to apply greater nuance to our own people, and foist no expectation on them to return to Ireland where it is safe and focus their energies entirely on this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Ahwell

So you’ve gone from insisting that the government parties are going to get this massive kicking because of immigration, which didn’t happen, to lauding a candidate who came 9th. Insisting that this is indicative of a massive wind of change, it isn’t.

According to this article the reason Egypt won't accept Palestinian refugees is twofold.

1. They don't want to facilitate ethnic cleansing in Palestine.
    2. It doesn't want to become part of a regional conflict.

https://theconversation.com/why-egypt-refuses-to-open-its-border-to-palestinians-forcibly-displaced-from-gaza-223735#:~:text=However%2C%20Egypt%2C%20the%20only%20country,to%20accept%20refugees%20from%20Gaza.

I don't see any mention of it being due to some racial inferiority of the Palestinian people. This is your and Mr Kirkegaards position only. https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Emil_O._W._Kirkegaard

Though it seems from the 'Thanks' count you guys have some support on this thread, where it seems we're not allowed even mention racism, for fear of lecturing or being condescending!

The obsession with a Wikipedia entry of some nobody is highly disturbing!!!

Well, theres always a diplomatic way to say Go away ! .. which is what Egypt is doing. They can hardly be openly rude

And these other 20 ? .. what about them ? Algeria, Bahrain, Comoros, Djibouti, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen

They also do not want Palestinian refugees.

Again, Palestinians refugees have a woeful track record in countries that offered them asylum and I am saying this is the why nobody wants to accommodate them ..

And stop calling Palestinians inferior. That is bordering on racism

Its their behaviour collectively over the past decades that we are considering

Nice try. That guy is Mr Farages source in the anti-Palestinian video shared here several times. His website is shown in the clip.

He's also the only other one I can find relating this story to some racial inferiority on the part of Palestinians. Aside from a few of you guys here of course.

Post edited by MegamanBoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Lebanon and Jorden took in Palestinian refugees before and it caused problems .A case of biting the hand that feeds you , they are reluctant based on the past .

Oh continue to ignore the changing climate of public opinion. What have you got to say of Niall Boylan's performance? Seemed to do pretty well as a first time runner??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Did he get in? No. When are the next local/ Eu elections? In 5 years time. Did the government party get a kicking? No. Who is most likely to make up the next government? FG/FF. Your “wind of change” is a fantasy.

Dont really have much to say on Niall Boylan's failure to get elected.. Maybe in 5 years time he'll come back and so he can fail again? He cam truly be Dublins version of Peter Casey then.

• Advertisement

And was that to do with some inferiority on the part of the Palestinian people?

Or was it, just maybe, a fairly predictable consequence of the forced migration of huge numbers of people in such a sectarian and conflict ridden region?

Advertisement