Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't the Labour Party and the Social Democrats merge?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Renko, you're correct. The downward trajectory and continuing spiral of Labour started around the time of the merger with Democratic Left. Many old school Labour activists were appalled. They knew the history attached to many of the old SF stickies in their local areas. Remember, all constituencies in Cork and Kerry, urban and rural, at the time generally had a Labour TD. The old Labour grassroots stopped working. Labour sadly, is a stale brand. Labour first has to revitalise itself before any SD merger. A merger first will not revitalise the new entity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,361 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

SD and LAB are slightly estranged family members. The greens are the neighbours who have similar interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Feckin vanilla, missing quote again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

7 was the number needed in 2020. Who knows what the number needed in 2024 will be?

I don't have an agenda by the way! It just seems like a very obvious political anomaly that merging would solve. Accusing people of 'having an agenda' is not a good way to have an argument (and you will note I don't do it).

For the record, I voted LP as #3 in both elections and was delighted to see O'Riordain get in as well as Cllr Field.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

She was Director and later Chief Commissioner of IHREC, which is a GO, not an NGO.

• Advertisement

And the estrangment relates to two old aunts who had a disagreement over the seating arrangement at a family wedding ten years ago. They now refuse to go to family weddings. Apart from that, they're a happy family. 😀

The neighbours like them but secretly think they're better than them because they don't use any fertiliser in their garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The merger was in 1999.

TD numbers:

• 1997: 17 Labour, 4 Democratic Left
    • 2002: 21
    • 2007: 20
    • 2011: 37
    • 2016: 7
    • 2020: 6
    • Now: 7, but about to go to 6 with AOR taking his MEP seat.

So it really died off in 2016 after they went into government - and not back in the early 00s.

At grassroots level, I guess some expansion is needed. I can see that in Cork they went from 7 councillors in 2009 which dropped to 0 in 2014, 1 in 2019 and now back up to 3 in 2024. So maybe there are some green shoots?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭Augme

She knew she was gone before the results of the 1st count were even announced. She had plenty of time to talk through and prep for that until the moment her elimination was officially announced.

They should enter into meaningful negotiation. That doesn't mean they should enter government though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Amateur?

Shortfall and Murphy are around a long time.

Abandoning someone like that is pure cruelty.

Leinster House is a 10 minute taxi ride to the RDS.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Exactly it looks like she was given ZERO support to prepare by her party.

I stand by my original comment. Her party abandoned her and left her with little to no support in the RDS. Really really cruel.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

They do. Feel free to point to someone who received 4.3 first preference votes in a European elections and won a seat. S

Stand by it all you want. I don't sinead will feel she's some delicate little kitten who needs the help of a press rep to get her through an interview. That's actually quite demeaning of her abilities.

Many people at the RDS witnessed this. It's not merely my theory.

Terry Pratchet

Could she not handle it when she got eliminated?

It happened. But you appear to be ascribing a malevolent motivation to it. It's just as likely to be simple incompetence.

I can't speak for her but everyone in the RDS saw what happened. Why on earth would any party abandon a candidate like that. The TDs were all in Leinster House yesterday.

Terry Pratchet

Perhaps. She took out a huge personal loan for their benefit and they abandon her in the RDS. What kind of a party abandons it's candidates (while the TDs are in Leinster House) like that?

Terry Pratchet

I would say one that isn't very well organized and the leadership doesn't have a firm grip on (as in 'get your asses down to the RDS right now and stay there until Gibney leaves the building - here's your media talking points, don't deviate from them').

So instead the TDs should abandon the job they've been elected to do by their constituents? They, and all political parties, had 100s of candidates who weren't elected over the last few days. That's the nature of politics. Party leaders or TDs cant be there to hold their hand. And if they do need their hand held by the party leaders they probably shouldn't be in politics either. I wasn't there so I didn't see it, but from the comments I read by Sinead she seems to have been very pragmatic and level headed about it. As I said, I wasn't there but she doesn't sound like someone who desperately needed some PR rep to hold her hand through talking to the press.

She told The Irish Times she is proud of her campaign, particularly her “positive” contribution to the debate on immigration. She said she is “coming out of this feeling bruised but good about what lies ahead”.

Ms Gibney said she knows the Social Democrats “appreciate what I’ve put on the line for this election” adding: “They have given me their full backing for this run.”

She said: “The financial aspect of this was really tough for me because I did put so much on the line ... but I know that I’m also in a very privileged position.”

She said her career, which included “high-profile roles” in the private and public sector, “will allow me to get back on my feet”.

I'm not convinced by that at all. Abandoning a candidate in a high profile count like this isnt the same at all as local elections. Its not something any other party would do. It really isnt. Its expected in something such high profile that you get party support and backing, not abandonment. I wasnt in the RDS. I know many who were and were disgusted at the visibility of the soc dems abandoning her.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i dont see the point of the SD party? they just seem like a cheap version of Labour or for people who cant hack it in the main parties they get a second chance or easier pond to rise in.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The more political parties the better if you ask me.

Choice is good

From your distance on the right, everything left of centre must look the same. I do hope that Labour and Soc Dems both grow and cooperation and even a merger would be possible, at some point. But a merger would want to generate a dynamic taking them to a new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I see a difference, there is PBP, then there is People With (a little ) Profit (but feel guilty) before they morph into full Labour supporters

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Sure - but different parties with identical policies? That doesn't make much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DamiensNeck

The Social Democrats are not a serious party. The frequently make spelling and grammatical mistakes in their documents.

They can't proof read their posts yet they think they are able to run the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

giving out about a spelling mistake in a tweet, probably sent off a phone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,361 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably formulated it as 'prouder' first, then decided on 'more proud' but forgot to remove the '-er' before sending.

they're clearly not fit for government.

or well, their social media person, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 DamiensNeck

If they can't check their spelling is right in a tweet, you expect them to be able run a country?

As I said, it's not a once off.

Advertisement