Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

So just your opinion and media/fans saying things.

It's not about having your head in the sand, it's about not believing what you read/hear on social media/media.

The only actual response about next season has been ETH saying that he has been involved in the planning for preseason and next season.

Beyong that, none of us have a clue.

But you keep believing you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

So many words to say absolutely nothing. It's quite clear you're just looking for a way to get as many digs in at Utd as possible "a cup manager for a cup team"

For all you've said, how many Manchester United managers have INEOS sacked? How many have they hired? So because there was no forward planning under the previous regime, that have all been replaced as I'm sure your aware of considering how on top of all things Utd you are, that means the new footballing management team also won't plan in advance and speak to managers, agents, coaches to feel people out, get their opinions etc.

Also there was no revolt or anything like it re Arnautovic but for the LOLs I'm sure you can show me some proof of this revolt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,968 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Sorry but the Southgate thing. People seen him as a club manager at Middlesbrough. They were a mid table team when he took over there and they just got worse and worse and were eventually relegated under him.

He's had England teams with incredible talent for years and all he's done is hold them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Man Utd absolutely are a cup team now. That's not a dig, it's just realism.

You were on about trophies earlier. It's all domestic cups that Man Utd are winning since Ferguson left. When is the last time Man Utd were actually involved in a title race, versus how many cup runs have they been involved in the last decade?

5 cup wins (4 domestic) in the last 12 seasons. 2 other cup finals. 4 more semi finals. That's a fair chunk of cup runs, basically one every season. How many realistic league challenges have been in that time? Finishing 2nd but 19 points away from 1st place doesn't count as it wasn't really a title challenge. I'd say 0.

1 cup run vs 0 league challenge every season. I've every right to say Man Utd are a cup team now.

No INEOS haven't hired or sacked a manager, yet. But that won't last long IMO. Is Ashworth even allowed to work yet, or is that his role to sort it out? Is it Wilcox or what's his role? Why is there constant talk of a new manager? Why did Jim avoid questions on ETH's future after the FA cup final? Why have the club not briefed their local journos that ETH is staying, definitely? Maybe it's because he banned them all, or maybe cos he is not. Ye seem to think it's all fake news about ETH leaving, so who knows.

As for Arnautovic, there are quotes here from the Bologna sporting director about Man Utd's bid. I'm sure you can remember the potential transfer at the time, and how Twitter was rife with criticism from Man Utd fans at the time. Di Viao actually mentioned in another interview that Man Utd didn't pull out of of the deal because of the fan backlash, it was because Arnautovic felt more valued at Bologna.....But why even mention that without some sort of simmering element of truth to it in the first place.

And then Reddy mentions that it was a combination of the fan revolt and Man Utd deciding to not increase the offer.

The BBC also reported the same here

Just because United haven't been contenders for the league for the last twelve doesn't mean they never will be again. If they sort all the issues out at the club and make it to the Champions league the season after next they could be contenders in 25/26.

I'm not saying that's going to happen but United have the wealth to make it happen if they become a Champions league team.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Wolftown

Thats an unhealthy obsession you've got yourself there. As mentioned, an awful lot of words with nothing really said.

In the last four seasons, United have finished ahead of Liverpool in the league twice.

In that time United have one FA cup and one league cup.

Liverpool have one FA cup and two league cups.

But one is just a cup team and the other is the best team eva...have I got that right?

Gas stuff 😂

So you have the Bologna sporting director saying the deal didn't go through because Arnautovic felt more valued at Bologna and then multiple sources saying there was a difference in valuation but because "Twitter" complained you think that's the reason it didn't go through.

As pointed out above Utd have finished above the greatest team of all time and the saviors of all that is pure twice in recent seasons but sure Utd are a cup team and the other is the only team capable of stopping City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Apart from City, everyone's a cup team these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Well firstly, I have no idea what relevance Liverpool have to the opinion that Man Utd being a cup team now. But ye seem determined to make the comparison.

The fact ye seem to celebrate finishing ahead of Liverpool in the league (in their worst league season in about 8 years), while actually being nowhere in the actual league title race as some sort of achievement says it all really and where the club is now. And the fact that Man Utd beat Liverpool last minute in the cup 1/4 final and then Man City in the final, while finishing 22 & 31 points behind both teams in the league while while they were actually involved in the title race only emphasizes my point. Ye can't get close to the league title but celebrate beating the other teams in the cups. A cup team. Never making an impact on the league title.

But yeah the not so subtle digs around best team ever etc. Ye said it, not me, so there must be some sort of unconscious insecurity there!

Anyways I'm not so sure what relevance that has to the big bad media constantly making everything up about Man Utd and so therefore everything written is untrue, so I'll leave it there. Maybe I'm part of the big bad media too so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

That's exactly it. Who is else can win the league over the next few years. People can say Arsenal but it won't happen. City are too good. That may change if Pep leaves but until then everyone else will be second best. Even if they are pipped you just know it will be just a one off title win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Calm down Fitzy.

Noone has said to not believe anything in the media, just to stop believing the majority of what you read.

A broken clock is right twice in 24hrs so they will get some correct along with the odd media briefing.

Man utd are the biggest club in the UK, one of the biggest in Europe. With that will come alot of media attention. You just just hope people have the maturity to not get taken in by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

In the last 7 years, they’ve been the only team to stop City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

In the last 7 years also there are only 2 teams that have remotely challenged City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Utd have been a cup team for the last few years. No shame in it. We are at our lowest point in a lot of fans living memories.

Anyone under 40 this is basically the worst period they have seen and Utd have still picked up trophies. 8 trophies won since Fergie left but no league title. Utd have been a cup team.

There are designs to get back to winning leagues but until we are in that league title battle going into the final few weeks we aren't league title challengers. Simple as really.

No need to get upset about a Liverpool fan calling us a cup team.

One part that is amusing is that for anyone under 40 as a Utd fan this period has been the worst we have known. 11 seasons since Fergie left and we have 8 trophies.

For Liverpool fans under 40 this is the best period they can remember. This is their golden era and since 2013 they have 8 trophies.

City have 15*. Shows how comfortable they have been really. The only year they didn't win the league they were off the pace but they changed their style to be more controlling and less expansive. The results have been them walking to the league titles since. They have almost always been in control of the title race since.

*pending investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

People use the same stats in such different ways to support their views.

I am a Pool fan & I see the league & european cup/champions league as the real trophies to measure our club on.

I could say we have won league title once in the last 5 years but then a Utd fan will say 1 in 34 yrs to which I could say 12 in 51yrs & we start to get dizzy.

For me, it is next season always and do we have a chance; for the league we have an outside chance and we are in the champions league, no point looking further than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Everyone out to get us"?

You'd swear someone mention Liverpool and VAR.

Looks like Villa are getting Weston McKennie and Samuel Iling Jr +$20m for Douglas.

No idea if that's a good deal for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ah be fair, the only year they didn't win it, Liverpool won 20 of their first 21 games.

You can concede a little credit.

Here we go with the United v Liverpool crap again.

Can we not just start up a thread for this childish nonsense?

Ten Hagg staying on as Utd manager. Unexpected good news.

https://x.com/David_Ornstein/status/1800636648796864987

I saw some of the Villa pages mentioning this earlier and thought it was a mad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

The power of social media, really poor by Utd not to confirm this after the FA cup final, clearly they wanted him out given it has taken them until June 11th to confirm this. Read that only Luton faced more shots on target than Utd, they had a negative goal difference, conceded 58 goals and lowest league position since 89/90, seems lucky to keep his role though in my opinion it is a better move as they need to move on a lot of players rather than keep changing the manager, that is a hard task though when several of them earn over 200k & are not really very good at football.

• Advertisement

As long as the guys above him are making the decisions on transfers from now on then there's not much risk keeping him on. Even if they have another shocking season they shouldn't go below 8th but it'll give them time to weed out another few "bad egg", underperforming and overpaid players. At that stage then a new manager can come in to a fresher squad if ETH doesn't do well and is moved on.

Lowest league position since 89/90 you say. I wonder who was manager back then? It was a man who finished 11th, 2nd, 11th, 13th in his first four seasons and his first piece of silverware was an FA cup win in his fourth season. It was a surprise he lasted that long after taking over a team that had five consecutive top four finishes before he got the job. Obviously the chairman seen something in him.

Is it possible the man in charge sees something in Ten Haag.

As regards it only being announced now. The season is only over a couple of weeks. Ten Haag may have known all along that he was staying. There was an article a couple of weeks ago that claimed he had told a Dutch radio station he was staying.

This could all have been a bit of smoke and mirrors to see who would be interested in the job if things don't work out this season.

All managers get 3 seasons. Especially when you're delivering trophies.

I think it’s a strange one to keep Ten Hag on, especially when Tuchel and Pochettino were available. I can understand why they may have passed on Tuchel though, he doesn’t seem to like working under a structure such as Man Utd are now operating in. But Pochettino should hold his ground now for a while. I think either Liverpool or United will be before long and he’ll be a good option.

• Advertisement

I was just thinking about Newcastle and how they'll go about cheating the system and it came to me. This Saudi league, they'll get cheap loan deals from them for top players.

Imagine if you added Ibanez, Laporte, Neves, Milinkovic-Savic and Neymar to that squad.

I have no doubt Bayern would have taken ETH over Kompany. Not winning anything with Munich is criminal.

I think Pochettino would be. Ten Hag won’t see next season out, in my opinion.

Ten hag has got to 3 finals in 2 seasons. What has Poch done in all his time in the PL? With Spurs, Southampton and Chelsea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

And its also possible he is clueless when it comes to picking managers.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out for sure.

Sometimes it seems some managers have a knack of winning things and some don't.
    Whatever reason it is but Poch doesn't seem to have it. It's not a small sample size at this stage. We have seen him struggle to get silverware for a decade.

Whatever happens with ETH (ultimately he may not be the man) but I would be fairly confident in saying Poch would not have led us to anything better.

It's not surprising to see a lot of Rival fans throw in Poch's name. They don't fear him.

100% agree re Poch. Nobody believes he's capable of winning the PL. Seems like a nice guy and a fairly good coach but I'd be confident that ETH would win more silverware if they hypothetically had the same squad over 3,5,7 years etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

As a non-United fan, Poch is the one I was worried about rebuilding them. Might not have had immediate success in the way Tuchel might get with a cup or something, but I think 2 years from now they'd be back to square one with Tuchel, while I think 2 years from now with Poch they'd be in a much better more cohesive place. He's a good man to push things in the right direction and build an ethos and ethic in his team.

Sticking with ETH just kinda feels like pushing a decision further down the road in the hope a better option becomes available (like the longer term version of Ireland giving JOS the friendlies to buy time!).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I don't actually think keeping ETH is a terrible decision but I do think if they give him a new contract now it might be.

They really should improve next season. They are going to invest in the playing staff and replace the dross like Martial, while also (one would assume) probably not have such an injury ravaged season. If they don't improve significantly no new contract should come his way. The next manager would also benefit greatly from this as this will still be a transition year squad wise and it could be hard for them to really hit the ground running (although yes they would improve on last year) until the squad has had more turnover.

When you look at the United, we'll for me anyway I see the full backs and defensive midfield as the major issues. At centre back Martinez looks a really good one if you can keep him fit. I thought Maguire did an admirable job when he got injured. If Varane is going then a replacement for him is needed.

The full backs are really poor though. Shaw is another who can't seem to stay healthy.

Defensive midfield is a mess and needs sorting.

Up further there's Bruno, Hojlund and Garnacho. You've got Rashford too if he can get back to his best.

So two full backs, a defensive midfielder, one wide forward and potentially a centre back is what's needed I think. Improving the bench is another thing although it looks like they have a few decent players coming through the ranks.

Santi Cazorla is still.sying football at 39 years of age. Out injured tonight in the La Liga 2 playoffs. He was a great one at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Always loved looking at the Turkish league too and being surprised at who's still playing. Guess it's the Saudi League for that now!

One player from La Liga I was surprised to see hasn't retired yet is Pepe Reina who is actively looking for a new club. Some people with rose tinted glasses saying he should be picked up for Liverpool this season.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him come back to England again. I still remember seeing his first game at Anfield, in the 2001 UEFA Cup Semi Final! He was playing for Barcelona as a teenager with the likes of Pep Guardiola, Luis Enrique and Frank de Boer playing that night too - all of whom have been managers for years while he's still playing, 11 appearances this past season and 32 the season before for a top 5 league club isn't bad 23 years later

He got Spurs to the CL Final. Conte nor Mourinho managed that. I’d have taken Pochettino at Liverpool ahead of Slot. Maybe they are waiting on Southgate.
    No Brighton appointment yet either.

Southgate was never in the running according to Talk of the Devils, The Athlethic podcast. Tuchel and De Zerbi got as far as talking financial packages with INEOS so I'd expect that if ETH goes at some point this season either of those guys will be next up. An interesting theory they threw out is that INEOS met with McKenna and all parties agreed now wasn't the right time but he's very much the long term plan. So if ETH gets another two or three years and McKenna is ready then they'd be happy with that. Some people won't like that and will **** on the idea that Utd are now putting in place succession planning but I'd be mightily impressed if INEOS are already looking that far ahead.

I'm a subscriber to the Athletic but it's getting worse and worse. When my subscription ends next year I'm not renewing. I wouldn't put any faith in anything they write anymore. Lots of amateur writers there now, it's like they were trying to cut costs or something. The research isn't anywhere near what it was a couple of years ago.

I have no faith in anything they write anymore and opinion pieces are just awful these days.

Jose won the CL with Porto and inter. Nevermind his PL titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

isn’t that entirely the point? That even serial winners won nothing at Spurs? And that Poch even did better with that team than these other great managers, so maybe writing him off as a loser based on his time there is a bit unfair?

• Advertisement

Is it unfair?

His Spurs team lost a title race to Leicester city when Spurs were near their peak.

His PSG team lost a title race to Lille.

He seems like he can build a good team over time but so far he hasn't really shown himself to be the man to then lead those sides to titles.

His only trophies won were at PSG as far as I know and winning at PSG is a given. But he even underachieved there.

7/8 seasons in England and he's had some very nice squads in that time and didn't pick up so much as a league cup.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement