Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

and?

I was suckered by Charlie as I was by Enda etc. (OJF didn't stand here and FG didn't get a vote from me until Enda took the reins)

I suppose you were voting Green back then too but passionately defending FG? 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Prior to the election the discussion was the poor polls for SF, we were told to wait for the election as that was the only valid poll. Now the poor polls have been confirmed, in fact the actual vote is way worse, suddenly there's more excuses..

On NT this morning Boylan proclaimed it was actually a great result as SF had increased their seats over 2019, and then said they would look into what went wrong in the exact same election🤷.

These people are spoofers, all they know is to repeat what they've been told to say by unknown internal structures. There is not an independent thought among them.

Vote up and two maybe 3 MEPs compares favourably with how any party has done. And SF had a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The Soviets were no fans at all of the Provos. Saw them as too bourgeoise and riddled with informers. The Provos made their bed with Gadaffi, their sympathisers in the States, and with the Moroccan tribes involved in the first wave of cannabis into Europe.

The US flow of arms was always spotty at best, but Gadaffi was prepared to flood the country with guns, bombs and launchers for a long dirty war. Someone very very high up in the Provos informed on them.

All detailed in the tremendous Secret History of the IRA by Ed Moloney. Darkie Hughes also had his deep suspicions about one of the IRA leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Polls went from 36% to 24% and in the actual election which you said was the only thing that mattered went to 11%!

The election was a disaster to anyone with an ounce of sense.

• Advertisement

Where did I predict the outcome of this election?

That is you and blanch who have said this.
    Put uo or shut up.
    I did say that a GE was a different beast to LE’s and EU elections and they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

If you were "suckered" (your word, not mine) once for many years by FF, and suckered by FG for years, has it never occured to you you have also been suckered by SF, who are the ultimate masters of spin, deception and lying in the country? Evem their / your leader for most of the past 40 years says he was never in the IRA : almost nobody believes him.

But you expect others to believe you never voted for SF for the vast bulk of your life, but all of a sudden you had a conversion and all of a sudden supported SF to the extent you have over 60,000 posts passionately for them?

Incredible, because most people do not change politics like that, or if they do change they for example may go from left wing parties when they were relatively poor ( eg in third level college ) to centre parties as they get older / more affluent / better understanding of the ways of the world.

On the leader - I have said before, I don't think it matters whether he was in the IRA or not. I can understand why he would not be in it - and I can see why he would be in it. I am quite well aware that some SF members were in the IRA.

On voting for them - I am not unique. SF's vote has massively increased over the years, while the vote share of FG and FF has fallen from 86% to just over 40% and is still falling.
    So, I hate to tell you, many people are being 'converted' and are 'suddenly voting' for SF and other parties. Any informed politics watcher would know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You make a very good point. Once a sucker, always a sucker.

When it comes to some people, only the party fooling them changes.

A lot of the increase of the SF vote in this state from say 2 or 3% during the troubles to say 12% or whatever in recent elections is due to a higher % of young people than previously now voting for SF because of their opinions on housing, healthcare, cost of living, protest vote against the government, whatever. Usually people do not change their spots, or if they do they get slightly more right wing (compared to their youth) as they enter their sixties or old age : they do not become passionately left wing at that stage of life to the extent of posting non stop on social media?

• Advertisement

As I said in previous post.

Any informed politics watcher would know this.

They would also know where the parties are attracting support from:

In the 18-24-year-old age group, Sinn Féin has 31.8% support, compared to Fine Gael’s 15.5% and Fianna Fáil’s 13.6% (and the Green Party’s 14.4%).

Among 25-34-year-olds, SF has 31.7%, FG has 17.3% and FF has 15.2%.

Among 35-49-year-olds, SF has 22%, FG has 21.1% and FF gas 21.8%.

Among 50-64-year-olds, SF has 22.8%, FG has 22.3% and FF has 22.7%.

In the 65+ age group, SF support drops to 12.2% – well behind FG (30.2%) and FF (29.7%).

I would be in the company of this 22.8% of others, so I am not unique in any shape or form.

Among 50-64-year-olds, SF has 22.8%, FG has 22.3% and FF has 22.7%.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Does raise the question of why they have done so badly if this is their support. I know the turnout was below 50% could it be down to lower voting numbers in the younger age brackets? I'm sure it's a factor at least

If SF could get younger people out voting they'd storm to victory

Interestingly in the Limerick Mayoral elections the vote winner has effectively copied one of the SF policies of more housing as his main policy.

I am sure they will look hard and review why they didn't do better. It's what any political party would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

And there was I thinking that opinion polls didn't matter.

Those figures relate to an old opinion poll that is clearly out of date and wrong, based on what happened last Friday.

Remember you told us before last Friday that the ballot box was the only thing that mattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Except SF dont have a costed plan to deliver more housing.

If you want more housing, the current govt are far more likley to oblige than SF; with SF planning to restrict investment funds from construction projects, therefore removing the majority financing of new home schemes.

That policy is only going to send new home builds one way. And it isn't upwards.

Opinion polls are out of date almost as soon as they are conducted. That is why they are continually done blanch.

The poster seemed to think SF only had support in one or two age groups. How wrong they were.

Based on their track record I highly doubt the current govt are more likley to solve the housing crisis than SF. The schemes you mentioned simply aren't working so new ideas are needed. Did you ever think that investment funds need to be restricted from construction projects because they are unrestricted at the moment and it isn't working

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

If you can explain where the alternative funding comes from to deliver the projects, please go ahead.

We are all still waiting for anyone, including SF, to answer that question.

Just because you change an approach does not mean your new alternative will be more effective.

Remember that the current govt are upping projections towards the 50k new mark now. So although the 33k homes delivered last year is not where we need to be, it is on an upward trajectory & with further large rises planned for and expected.

Commemcement notices for 2024 are up over 600% vs same period last year, so the proof of uptick is there.

If you can explain where the alternative funding comes from to deliver the projects, please go ahead.

We are all still waiting for anyone, including SF, to answer that question.

The country is currently awash with money. If corporations paid the proper amount of tax there would be more again to go around.

Just because you change an approach does not mean your new alternative will be more effective.

But if you don't change your approach you definitely won't get better results

Remember that the current govt are upping projections towards the 50k new mark now. So although the 33k homes delivered last year is not where we need to be, it is on an upward trajectory & with further large rises planned for and expected.

Commemcement notices for 2024 are up over 600% vs same period last year, so the proof of uptick is there.

We've been hearing for years about how "next year we will build (insert big impressive figure here) new homes" and the target always gets missed. We needed 30,000 new homes per year back around 2018 and that target finally got reached 5 years later, the govt and supporters must be cracking the champagne bottles only being 5 years late!

To be fair though, welcome if it happens

You say "If corporations paid the proper amount of tax there would be more again to go around." The thing is, if the tax rate was higher here then a lot less tax would be collected : we are known as a tax haven of the world and the reason Apple etc pay a lot of their worldwide tax here is because tax rates are so low.

SF and their comrades have gone to other regimes around the world for co-operation and inspiration. See how successful Venezuala, Libya, Cuba, North Korea etc are at extracting money from multi-nationals / creating wealth in their countries?

See how quick so many of the biggest multi-nationals ( Meta, Google, Intel, Siemens, IBM, VW, Amazon etc ) moved when Paddy the CEO of the web-summit made a few lefty comments - they were not long suddenly boycotting his web-summit then, having booked to attend.

https://www.politico.eu/article/paddy-cosgrave-web-summit-ceo-europe-tech-conference-resign-israel-hamas-comment/

• Advertisement

The tax rate doesn't need to be higher it just needs to be implemented properly. Apple paid the equivalent of 0.5% tax on their profits, that can't be much help to the country even if it did completely disappear tomorrow

Apple is the largest taxpayer in the world, paying over $35 billion worldwide in corporate income taxes in the last three years. Apple pays taxes in every country where they sell their products. You are aware of transfer pricing, and the fact the commission declared that Apple owed €13.1 billion in unpaid taxes to Ireland for the period between 2003 and 2014 (when Apple changed its structures), as well as €1.2 billion in interest?

No wonder many think of Ireland as the tax haven of the world.

They paid an effective tax on their profits of 0.005%. I paid 45% taxes on my income (not my profits) last year. It's a tax haven for some but not for all

It's a tax haven for some but not for all

Probably the pesky Shinners fault. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Unfortunately the Shinners pursued the'anything you put forward', we will say 'you should have done more' policy.

The sensible end of the electorate, that is, those who understand economics as opposed to the 'money tree' saw through that stuff and voted accordingly.

Thats kinda how it worked out ,in my opinion.

Increased the Shinner vote? Gave them an extra MEP, maybe 2, decimated the Greens and gave FF/FG another decrease in their vote share? All on what was a bad day for Shinners?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

From a very low base…. "I shot a round of 120 down at the club last week, this week I shot a score of 100"

I increased my score expeditiously …..still bad golf though, buddy.

Imagine what a good day would be for them haha!

• Advertisement

Swinging and missing?

A lot of it going on. Keep trying.

Advertisement