Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

It's probably been mentioned on the thread already, but if it wasn't so tragically ironic, the most antisemitic thing you can do is to murder semites, you know, what Israel is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Kay.

Israel’s ethnic cleansing of Palestine isn’t about bringing them democracy or trans rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oh. You should inform the ICC prosecutor Khan of that. Who starts something determines if crimes have been committed.

Also the conflict has been going on well before October 7th. You clearly don't think Palestinians count when you continue to pass off their deaths as incidental. I suppose Its easier to believe that than confront your own bias and hypocrisy. I will repeat it again for you dropping a 2000 pound bomb on a refugee camp that kills scores of civilians is not the incidental killing of civilians. Still maybe I am wrong and if a few IDF soliders were killed along with scores of Israel civilians in an attack you'd describe their deaths as incidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭engineerws

Looks like more pressure on Israel.

https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2024/06/israeli-authorities-palestinian-armed-groups-are-responsible-war-crimes

In relation to Israeli military operations and attacks in Gaza, the Commission found that Israeli authorities are responsible for the war crimes of starvation as a method of warfare, murder or wilful killing, intentionally directing attacks against civilians and civilian objects, forcible transfer, sexual violence, torture and inhuman or cruel treatment, arbitrary detention and outrages upon personal dignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭political analyst

What evidence is there to indicate that Israel relied on Gazan health ministry casualty numbers?

• Advertisement

Khan has applied for arrest warrants. The ICC will decide whether or not to grant them.

By the way, yes, I would describe the deaths of Israeli citizens in an IDF raid as incidental. After all, many French civilians died in Allied air raids in Normandy in 1944 but France didn't accuse the UK and the US of crimes.

What evidence is there of the IDF intending to kill civilians? To accuse the IDF of that is like accusing British and American forces of intending to kill civilians when they carried out attacks on German forces in Normandy in 1944.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

It really says a lot when one side has to routinely deny decades of history and force themselves to view an entire conflict as beginning with the enemy's latest attack.

They know their position is complete and utter trash. If they had any confidence in it, they'd be able to deal with what was happening before October 7th.

Hiding behind the need for court cases to judge one specific side of a conflict is a similarly cowardly act.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Aside from bombing places like hospitals, universities, refugee camps etc? or the deliberate targeting of journalists and aid workers? or the videos that have been posted here of them shooting civilians? None that will convince you I suppose. You either genuinely have no idea what you are talking about, and/or are so convinced that anything Israel does is right that it's pointless trying to engage in any sort of discussion with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

Yes Israel is in a bad position living next door to Hamas and co. People who will continually use suicide bombers, fire thousands of rockets at their neighbours in one day and now even sacrifice thousands of their own women and children as human shields and refusing to allow them to leave when they know an area is a about to be hit.

And for what? All for a little anti-Jew PR. It's a deranged plan but, astonishingly, it seems to be working on you and otherwise intelligent people in liberal democracies. Wow. Just wow. You truly cannot see what the Palestinians are really doing, can you? Look how they treat women, look how they treat women who don't have children, look how they treat gay people, Jews, Christians, Infidels, and worst of all, how they treat their own people. How is it possible to turn a blind eye to everything?

I feel so sorry for the Israelis and the non-terrorist Palestinians living with those people. Aside from the hummus and the coffee, the place is just pure hatred and evil and death now. And now the Palestinians are moving to Ireland and bringing their hatred here. What could possibly go wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Sigh… Non pro Israeli supporter being called a Hamas Supporter. Lame. And discredits your arguments.

So if arrests warrants are issued will you then accept that all the deaths of Palestinian civilians were not incidental?

What evidence?

The fact arrest warrants have been sought by ICC prosecutor Khan. The US Justice Department in a report concluding it was quite likely the IDF had used weapons that contravened rules around the use of transfered weapons. The findings of Israel Human rights groups and UN Bodies that war crimes were likely commited by the IDF in this war.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,194 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Listen, you can argue that the form the insurgency takes is bad, but the fact is that whenever a population have been subject to the level of oppression that the Palestinians have, there will be an insurgency. And the level of violence that Israel have used since the October attack, is just going to generate more insurgents.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They don't in any of there dozen or so comments in this thread make a single reference etc supporting Hamas. You don't get to keep accusing people of that

You have not been able to contribute a single valid point worthy of any discussion here in I don't know how long (if ever).

You ignore facts and figures when it's convenient (which is a lot) you then just badger people with do yous support Hamas questions and meme standard posts.

If this is the standard to try and turn it around and reflect that may what Isrsel is doing is okay, then christ they are doomed

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Balagan1

To truly support any cause you would need to have a good understanding of it. And in the selection of posts I have read here I doubt that many know what Hamas and what it represents really is and isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You'd nearly think that the internet wasn't full of videos of women getting shot in the head by snipers while walking across the street with children.

Even when the IDF shot three of their own their excuse was "they were dressed like civilians"………… Do you not remember that? From an official spokesperson trying to explain why they blew away three of their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

https://www.wsj.com/world/middle-east/gaza-chiefs-brutal-calculation-civilian-bloodshed-will-help-hamas-626720e7

For months, Yahya Sinwar has resisted pressure to cut a ceasefire-and-hostages deal with Israel. Behind his decision, messages the Hamas military leader in Gaza has sent to mediators show, is a calculation that more fighting—and more Palestinian civilian deaths—work to his advantage.“We have the Israelis right where we want them,” Sinwar said in a recent message to Hamas officials seeking to broker an agreement with Qatari and Egyptian officials.

In an April 11 letter to Hamas political leader Ismail Haniyeh after three of Haniyeh’s adult sons were killed by an Israeli airstrike, Sinwar wrote that their deaths and those of other Palestinians would “infuse life into the veins of this nation, prompting it to rise to its glory and honor.”

https://archive.is/9pq4y

The "useful idiots" are out there waving their Palestinian flags howling for a ceasefire is exactly what this sick and twisted death cult is relying on.

Sigh, its exhausting I know.

I'm well aware of the definition of antisemitism. I was pointing out the cruel irony of actual ethnic Semites being killed and the criticism of this being decried as antisemitism. I'm more than happy to accept the definition of antisemitism as being anti-Jewish however. As an aside, you do know the US are looking to pass a bill that now includes any criticism of Israel as antisemitism: https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2024-05-07/explainer-the-controversy-surrounding-the-antisemitism-bill

i.e. that pointing out Israel is committing a genocide will be subject to the same processes? And you do know that's the issue right? That the ideology of Zionism is being conflated with Judaism. That many Jewish people worldwide are trying to distance themselves from Zionism as much as possible.

Anyway I was reluctant to answer you as like I said you haven't got a clue, but here's some background info to October 7th.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Palestine-Israeli-Conflict-Beginners-Guide-Guides/dp/086154370X

Actually a pretty good book even if it is a beginner guide. Starts in Palestine from ~1840, so well pre-the fall of the Ottoman Empire and how relations there were good between all peoples, i.e the Ottomans allowed them to administer their own affairs until English interference and multiple broken promises eventually led to a win for Zionism at the expense of the native population. In fact even when they get to the where both authors debate each others points, you realize the case for a Jewish state is tenuous at best, at least in its current form, as they have to acknowledge the bloody history of the foundation of the state of Israel.

https://www.amazon.com/Ethnic-Cleansing-Palestine-Ilan-Pappe/dp/1851685553

Details the events leading to the Nakba and how Israel used the 1947 Palestine conflict to execute the planned expulsion of Palestinians from their land. Expulsion was a known prerequisite (it's in Herzl's diaries) for the foundation of an all Jewish state and population demographics were extremely important. Something that David Ben-Gurion was all too aware of when Israel captured so much land. In fact its painted as Israel being the nice guys in that they retreated both times (1948/1967) when the real reason is that they didn't have the population to keep what they'd captured.

There are a couple of other Norman Finkelstein/John Mearsheimer/Joe Sacco books I can also recommend specifically detailing the life of people in Gaza in particular and the power of the Israeli lobby in US politics but there's enough there to get started on.

If you don't want to read any of those, have a gander through some of the massacres perpetrated by Israel on Palestinian territories: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_the_Palestinian_territories

You'll notice most are pre-October 7th. Hell, some of them are even pre-hamas (my guys 🙄), pre-hezbollah and even pre-the Iranian revolution.

Anyway I'm out, seen as you haven't bothered to inform yourself of anything pre-2023 (even if you did that you'd be aware of the cleansing going on in the West Bank in the first 9 months, where Hamas (my guys 🙄) don't operate), its hard to see how this can achieve anything. Oh and on a final note, don't try to win a discussion with a "gotcha". It's embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Really? Until asked, it didn't condemn Hamas. Apparently you and others are o.k. with that, as long as they condemn Israel and repeatedly do so. And I don't do this lightly - in fact, I can maybe think of one or two others since threadbanned who were indeed Hamas supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It is indeed. I'm glad you're condemning Hamas finally, though. That shows better character than I thought initially when you didn't. As for the US bill, that's absurd along with inviting Bibi to speak, just cheap GOP pandering.

As for massacres, plenty to go around on both sides, including October 7th: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Israel

Can I be honest, you've an incredibly screwed up sense of things.

Hamas

• Guilty of genocidal intent (want Israel eliminated, although their 2017 charter recognized Israel)
    • Guilty of war crimes, civilians killed on multiple occasions.

Israel

• Guilty of genocidal intent (want Palestinians eliminated, human animals, death to goyim etc) by multiple members of the Knesset
    • Guilty of war crimes, snipers shooting kids, unarmed civilians etc.
    • Guilty of actual genocide; more bombs dropped than WW2, enforced starvation, medics buried alive etc etc

I mean both are guilty of the first two but Israel are solely guilty of the third. Yet somehow Hamas are the sole bad guys here. I mean the daily death rate is higher than any other 21st century conflict:

https://www.oxfam.org/en/press-releases/daily-death-rate-gaza-higher-any-other-major-21st-century-conflict-oxfam

Israel have killed 4 times the number of children that were killed in all conflicts worldwide in the last three years.

Ever stop to think maybe they're the bad guys?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And why does every poster who disagreed with the policies of Israel that have lead to the deaths of 40-50000 people in the last 16 years need to also condemn Hamas with every post.

Do you condemn Israel for all of those deaths? Do you condemn them for the forced starvation of 100,000s of people. Do you condemn Israels piciys of settlement. So you condemn their occupation of the west bank. Do you condemn Israels forcefully preventing Palestiniana from fishing in their own waters. So you condemn Israel from blocking Gaza from receiving any of its own natural resources?

Hamas are widely derided and criticised. They are rightly regarded as a terrorist organisation. The condemnation for Hamas is loud and clear and if you think otherwise you've not been listening.

Once again, criticism of Israel, that is more than warranted, is not support of Hamas or terrorism. You absolutely need to stop that. Once again showing a childish level of engagement and you're constantly doing it because you don't have a clue how to actually defend what Isrsel is doing (I'll help you out, it's indefensible)

So no, you dont get to say people are supporters of Hamas just because they don't come out and say they condemn Hamas as quick as you'd like

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Im surprised this hasn't been commented on. (And yes, I think we all agree Hamas have committed war crimes since the start of this thread).

In the first 2.5 months of the conflict, the commission found, Israel committed war crimes as well as crimes against humanity – the latter defined as a widespread, systemic attack directed at a civilian population. Israel’s alleged war crimes include starvation, arbitrary detention, and killing and maiming “tens of thousands of children.”

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/06/12/middleeast/un-report-israel-hamas-gaza-war-crimes-intl-hnk/index.html

no “finally” about it. They previously condemned Hamas and you treated it as some gotcha that they didn’t condemn Hamas pretty please with cherries on top, they didn’t say their 3 Hail Marys for you. Almost as convoluted as ‘No sorry you didn’t condemn Hamas in the form of a question, we can’t reward you any points, therefore you’re a Hamas supporter’ etc. Nobody has to say their 3 Hail Marys for such droll nonsense as this.

this is a fairly useless whataboutism. France was an ally for one, not an enemy, and they were actively seeking liberation from their western partners. Nevermind that the conventions Israel signed up to post-date 1944. Or the fact that the Allies weren’t targeting refugee camps and schools and hospitals for bombing. Furthermore, the Allies were looking to liberate France, not ethnically cleanse it and annex it for Uncle Sam or whatever. They were looking to expel an occupying force - the Nazis - and give it back to the French. So much wrong with the analogy here.

Also, what an incredibly odd way to frame it.

"Plenty to go around on both side, including October 7th"

Thats it, no historical context required. The world started on that day!

Do you condemn the US and Israel? You know two of the biggest terrorists entities on the planet? You know the ones who overthrow regimes, actively kill civilians, think world order doesn't apply to them, don't recognise the ICC/ICJ?

Post edited by Spudmonkey on

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Actually he's said nothing of the sort - thats your own deduction to suit your narrative/bias. When I see you post as such, I can literally feel my eyes roll back, and eyes skim to the end of the text as I know as this stage, there is no valid argument or rebuttal. Just finger pointing… yawn

Cheers for the backup! :)
    Tbh I don't mind. I normally go with who the Germans are supporting, they've a pretty bad record at this.

Well them or Tommy Robinson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,194 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

If there was a comparison with WWII it would be that the Palestinians are fighting against an occupier and would therefore be closer to the french resistance.

Advertisement