Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2024 - Friday, June 7th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

Don't really care (of the remaining candidates) who gets the 5th spot as long as it isn't Wallace. But, I think it'll be close - Cynthia needs to close a 5,712 gap. But, it's the more established parties to transfer now. 🤞

If betting, I'd say Wallace to lose, but that may be bias influenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Caquas

In the past, FF voters were legendary for loyally voting the party line - 1,2,3 - but that has changed and this is a clear example.

Blaney had 34K. votes but only 15K. transferred to the other two FF candidates. Over 30K of these voters gave Blaney their No. 1 so very few were "borrowed" from other parties. The 20% of Blaney's votes that were non-transferable are the least loyal of all i.e. no chance they might pass ultimately to a surviving FF candidate.

It would be shocking if Gildernew doesn't get the majority of McManus's 36K. although 7K of those are "borrowed".

FF should have a serious post-mortem on the MNW candidate selection. FG are likely to take 2 seats with slightly fewer first preferences.

Blaney generated votes for himself in Donegal but did damage to the party's campaign. Didn't fall far from the tree. A proper tally would tell that (regional) tale.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, when you take an extreme case, you make a point that is extreme.

So, the top vote catcher gets a huge vote, and then cannot continue for whatever reason. So what happens to that seat?

Well, say the part-time office cleaner was the substitute with no knowledge of politics or interest but was a very good friend of the MEP, and was named as the first substitute, should that person get the gig? Or does the position go to an experienced politician who missed out by a few votes? [I have taken extremes as a counter to your extremes.]

Now, there are no obvious way that I know how to find out who the substitutes are for each candidate as they do not figure in any candidates publications - and I think there are four or five for each candidate.

If the system for substitutes becomes more transparent than the current obscure one, it can only be an improvement.

Just looking at the current counts, candidates get knocked out by very narrow margins - in a most capricious way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Questions to ponder with Mullins transfers:

1. How many of them go to FF
    2. Will they put Kelleher over the top (he's 7k off)
    3. Will enough go to Ni Murchu to bridge the near 6k gap b/n her and Wallace
    4. Could O'Sullivan catch Ni Murchu

For #3 and #4 I suspect the answers will be No but I also suspect that the answer to #2 will be Yes and that the next round after could actually be the distribution of Kellher's transfers and those will heavily go to Ni Murchu possibly allowing her to pass Wallace then.

It's all going to come down to Grace O'Sullivan's transfers and I maintain that Wallace can do well out of those for geographical reasons.

A real nail biter anyway. God bless PR-STV and manual counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Hard to see Wallace making it at this stage, 6k ahead with a FG and either a green or FF to be eliminated. Unless regional factors come into it, GOS or CNM will make up that gap and he's gone on the last elimination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 DamiensNeck

Anyone got a gavin reilly type spreadsheet showing number of transfers from last round and standings?

I think mick is out. I can't believe he got this far tbh. He was mumbling in the RTE debate. He's 68 and can't be arsed now I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭yagan

So Wallace got about 4.5 thousand off Bligh, but I doubt he'll anything off Mullins. Cynthia is probably most likely to benefit from Mullins and I doubt the greens or SF will benefit off him either.

Not sure how the Green transfer would work for Wallace, although I believe it was SF transfers that won the Greens a Dail seat in Kilkenny Carlow last time. Same voting areas covered so it will be interesting.

Let's say a hard right wing candidate is elected and a hard left wing is the "first loser" - the sub nominated by the winner (even though they have no democratic mandate) is surely more likely to represent the views of his voters than the first loser. As such, it's not a bad system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

And she is Tramore, and Moscow Mick is South Wexford, so maybe demographics/geographics play a part. Who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Government parties seem to be transferring fairly strongly amongst themselves. Blaney's transferable vote went 77% to FF and FG. Green party transfers went 50% in MNW and 43% in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

44% non transferables off blighe, thank you far right morons for being as stupidly myopic as i hoped you were

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The substitute lists are published though. And while they may not be obviously visible anywhere, I think it's fair to assume that if the winner was from a specific party, then the alternates for that party would be similarly viewed by the electorate.

In my mind it's not a bad system. A by-election can skew numbers too (e.g. If the last elected candidate was to step down and there was a by-election then it's likely that the biggest party would get a bonus seat until next election), and having the first loser getting a seat isn't great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,569 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I wonder how much the very public spat with Micheal Martin affected transfers. Will the Blaney's split from FF again in Donegal?

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think there are going to be a lot of transfers from Mullins. And I agree, Kelleher to hit quota and have a surplus. After that surplus is distributed, is there a chance that at least one of CNM or GOS leapfrog BOTH Wallace and Funchion (who is likely to get very few transfers in this round), with the other one leapfrogging only Wallace?

Meaning Wallace the next to go, and you would expect his transfers to favour Funchion over the other 2, bringing her back into the top 5.

Unrealistic?

I wouldn't read too much into Blaney's transfers. At 55% to FF, it's not far from the highly lauded SF 62/63%. And he's a bit of a maverick, so would attract a fair number of non-party voters.

Blighe had about 18k votes that were non-transferrable.

I suspect Mullins non-transferrable will be a lot lower than this, as his transfers likely to go to candidates still in the race. And with his running mate already over quota those votes will be split even less.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The parties seem to treat the European Parliament as a bit of a joke. The voters elected Dana to the European Parliament at one point, so maybe it is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭golfball37

Surplus won’t be big enough to affect things the way you describe. Next elimination distribution is the ball game

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Mullins transfers im guessing will go to Kelly first and then surplus to Kelleher who will get quota from them and their surplus will filter to Cynthia so she will get a boost from below and above, if that still doesnt beat wallace then O'Sullivans transfer will put her above him on the final count

I was chatting to someone who did vote supervision before and they'd often see a single tic on a ballot form rather than numbers of preference. They get English people who are registered to vote but who despite verbal and written explanations on the day still can not internalise the concept of a transferable vote. They're still thinking in binary first past the past.

Edit to add, they'd have to be EU citizens to vote, but I wonder if it's reflective of Irish citizens who spent most of their lives voting in the UK system.

• Advertisement

Mullins transfers can't go to Kelly as he's already elected. They'll just go to the next highest preference.

Ah, I think it's the nature of the beast. Constituencies are so big, you have to either have a very well established politician (or sitting MEP) in the running who's left or leaving the Dáil or somebody with nation-wide name recognition.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why do you quote the most possibly extreme case to try and exaggerate you case?

If the substitute has no mandate, why should they take the seat? And why should the substitute be required to have the same outlook as the original MEP? The 'first loser' could have a broader support than the quitting MEP. You have no reason to believe that they do not - after all, there are few extremists in life - most have views more in the centre .

Looking at the results of the three EP elections, the last few could all have been elected if a few transfers had gone slightly differently, while the substitutes could be anyone with no ability - and with no political experience, and no mandate whatsoever.

Which is worse - an unelected, totally inexperienced MEP with no mandate, or a nearly elected MEP who missed out by a small percentage of votes?

How many MEPs quit in favour of their unknown substitutes? For example, how many of the last crop of Irish MEPs did not see out their term?

Reminds me of the FUD going around the UK when they had a referendum on PR in 2010 which claimed that it would give people more than one vote.

It got massive traction.

The Kelleher surplus by itself won't, but Mullins has 44k votes and I am hypothesising that a very large percentage of them are going to be transferrable.

I am also hypothesising that Wallace and Funchion do not do well on transfers in this round.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

So, it is 50/50 % of chances for Wallace whether he stays in his soft cozy chair or whether he'll get kicked out of it. Morelikely, he gets back in. Unfortunately this is near to inevitable now.

I shudder when I think about how close we came to changing to FPTP back in the 50s. The proposed change was defeated by a closer margin than the Brexit vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,569 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Might come down to that 6 or 7% difference though. It will be interesting to see what happens in Donegal. In a former life I knew the Blaney's, Harte's and McGlinchey's, it is some political hotbed of jealousies and bitterness among the FF/FG family dynasties up there.

Reducto ad absurdum - taking an extreme example to demonstrate the asburdity of a particular position.

In this case, that following the process you are proposing could lead to the wishes of the electorate being frustrated by a candidate who was not elected; the current system ensures to an extent that the replacement will broadly follow a similar course to what the elected person would have

With the current system, the substitutes are known in advance and as such, they assume the mandate of the person who was elected.

AFAIK, 2 MEPS didn't see out their term - Mairead McG and Matt Carthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,386 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Advertisement