Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It doesn't help that in Elden ring all the character names are near identical. There's characters with names that begin with G and ones that begin with M and after that my mind isn't parsing that anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Absolutely, names were way too similar in this and my mind just switches off from trying to remember at a certain point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not to mention many of the characters have two names. Godfrey is also known as Hoarah Loux (but seemingly not related to Nepheli Loux, they're just part of the same tribe/clan, and Nepheli's adoptive father is Gideon). Ranni calls herself Renna at the start as if she's trying to hide the fact she's Ranni even though we don't even know who Ranni is by that point anyway, but also not to be confused with her mother, Rennala. Marika was married to Radagon and they had kids, even though you then learn that Marika is Radagon. Margit is just some sort of apparition or summon of Morgott.

Basically, Marika's family tree is squiggle.

Oh and Margott has a twin and nope it's not Margit, it's Mohg.

I thought it was Renalla was married to Radagon and Radahn was one of their kids? Jesus. Anyway, speaking of Radahn, i wonder why people need to beat him to enter the dlc as From have stated previously. Both him and Mohg are 2 serious gatekeeping bosses.

Marika was married to Godfrey (Hoarah Loux) and had Morgott, Mohg and Godwyn. Godwyn's son is Godrick (and possibly also Godefroy who is found in one of the Evergaols, but he's only referred to as 'kin' to them, but that fight is pretty much the first phase of the Godrick fight again with more damage).

Radagon was married to Rennala and had Ranni, Radahn and Rykard.

Marika and Radagon then left their spouses and married each other, and had Malenia and Miquella (possibly also Melina and Messmer (from the DLC), but both of those are unconfirmed). Malenia also had Millicent and her four sisters. But also Marika and Radagon are the same person.

(Kinda Funny did an Elden Ring podcast recently and went through a lot of this).

But yeah, I was wondering about why Radahn would need to be beat for the DLC too. I guess it's more for story reasons, that you need to have reached that for parts of the story in the DLC to make sense even though you can get to Mohg without beating Radahn.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh, you're struggling to keep up with the story? Pfft…. git gud, scrub!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Some yellow paint to guide Millicent's questline.

John Tarnished: "Hmm, a prosthetic arm. Maybe Millicent could use this. I last saw her at the Altus Plateau. Maybe she is still there."

Haha... i gotta admit, i kind of wouldn't mind that 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,433 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I stopped playing when I got stuck at Makilath and also Malenia.

The thought of more game sounds epic but god the DLCs can be brutal

• Advertisement

Malenia is definitely a pain. Hardest boss in the game for most (I include myself in that) and the DLC will likely have one or more bosses equal to or harder than Malenia.

Oddly though, I never had much of a problem with Malekith in any of my playthroughs. He's definitely considered one of the toughest, but maybe the build I typically use at that stage is just really well suited for him. The Wing of Astel weapon skill (Nebula) does great damage and poise damage, so long as my summon is distracting him enough that I can hit it close enough to him.

The DLC is going to be tough, no doubt about it. But especially if people have gone so long without playing. That's why I did my NG+ run, to properly try get back into the swing of things, beat bosses again rather than just run around killing small mobs, have all my weapons lined up and ready to go.

You'll probably still find it hard and then some gowl on youtube at level 1 in his jocks will speed run the dlc taking no hits on day 1 😫

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Unearthly

So just opened back up my game. Of course I entered NG so I’ve lost all my Grace points.

I’m sure there is a speed run way to get to the DLC area

I watched one the other day where a guy did it in 40 minutes i think while picking up some handy items. Not ideal though as you are going in at a low level.

So arsing around, looking though my inventory, I noticed my Rune Arcs which I never paid attention to so googled them. I have to use my Great Runes at a divinity tower, equip them at a grace for boosts and use run arc to greatly increase those boosts until death…… how the **** didn't I know this. I kind of remember doing a tower for Ranni I think. Just did 2 towers and it's like what else haven't I done in this game :D

New patch on June 20th to prepare for dlc and add 'balancing. New features like inventory improvement, details below.

Very annoying that twitter posts can't be linked anymore.

Edit: thanks Retro

Post edited by Zero-Cool on

Change X to twitter and it works.

Elon and his big baby incel BS won't stop me linking or calling it twitter.

Oh my god i can't believe that works, he's such a tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cadea

I've never played a git gud game before but all these randon gibberish words like larval tears and grace points have me intrigued! I can't play with a controller, has to be kb+m for me should I invest?

• Advertisement

Right I am all set. Defeated Mohg. I completely forgot about mimic. Made it a bit easy but I just want access to DLC so that’s all that matters

Can't speak from experience but can't imagine there'd be any difficulty in playing with kb+m if that's what you're most used to.

In terms of it being a git gud game, it's probably the easiest one to get into because it gives a lot more tools to help you, and because it's open world if you can't beat an enemy, you can just go explore in a different direction and find something else to do to help you level up a bit, find new weapons/skills etc.

It can be a bit of a headscratcher of a game with a lot of different systems and things to get used to, and which aren't always well explained, but plenty of help here or online.

If you're interested in it, sure give it a try for a while.

Just to check, have you beaten Radahn too? For some reason you need to have beaten both Mohg and Radahn to access the DLC.

If so fair play, you tore through that quick enough!

Yes but I forgot to say it was NG+1 so my character is already level 155.

Blasphemous Blade is my weapon. Going to take one hell of a new weapon in DLC for me to consider changing.

I was actually gonna trade in a remembrance for the blasphemous blade yesterday but I'm not a fan of great swords. Saying that, i'm currently using a great spear which i don't like using either and wonder if it's been a bit pointless one handing it as i use a shield as well. Tried going back to my rivers of blood katana but the spear is so much more powerful.

Edit: actually scratch that, gonna just wait to see what the dlc brings in terms of new weapons before upgrading a weapon from the base game to +10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭McFly85

Got myself to Mohg in NG+ this evening so all set! Was a bit worried that I wouldn’t have enough time but like most souls games it’s pretty breezy in subsequent playthroughs. I ended up not doing much apart from the main route anyway to stop getting massively over levelled.

Have a fair few larval tears too so will wait a bit to see if there’s any new weapons/builds worthwhile in the DLC before changing. Can’t wait!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Unsurprisingly brilliant reviews across the board.

3/5 from Eurogamer. The nerds are furious and a lot of it seems to be driven by the fact that the reviewer is a contractor and a woman despite the text reading really well.

• Advertisement

Advertisement